Acceptance

Love In The Ice

Nana and Lizzy nervously sat in front of Kahi’s desk. The headmaster looked at the two girls for a long time. Her chin in her hand, she just stared. Nana was afraid to even look at Lizzy incase the headmaster cut her head off so she tried to look down or stare at the wall.

“Welcome back to Hansung High Miss Im,” Kahi suddenly said breaking the silence.

“T-Thank you headmaster,” Nana stammered.

“So how’d you get in?” she asked.

Nana her lips. She was fidgeting with the bag in her lap. “Raina and the others organized it.”

Kahi nodded. “I’m sure Lizzy was surprised and happy to see you since you were about to runaway.”

Lizzy looked down at her hands and felt her face heat up.

“I don’t know what I’m going to do with you two,” the headmaster mumbled.

Suddenly Nana asked, “Why don’t you want me and Lizzy to be friends?”

Kahi stared at her. She bit her lip and sighed.

“Believe it or not I’m protecting both of you. I want you to end whatever you have going on before it’s started,” she replied.

“But, why?” Nana challenged.

“Do you two really believe that society will accept you?” Kahi said bluntly.

Lizzy felt a pang of pain in her chest. “No, but they will come around to it. They have to.”

Kahi laughed bitterly. Lizzy cringed at the sound.

“Oh Lizzy, my sweet darling niece, the world is a terrible place. It’s better if I keep you apart than if society does,” she said.

“What’s the difference between you and society? You both disapprove us anyway,” Lizzy retorted.

“I don’t want to see you hurt,” Kahi said seriously.

“Too bad. You already have and you were the cause of the pain,” Lizzy said frankly.

Kahi closed her eyes and inhaled deeply.

“What do you want me to do?” she asked exhaling.

“Let Nana come back to Hansung High and be my roommate again. Let her finish her final year here with all her friends. Let us be friends again.”

Nana looked at Lizzy and smiled softly. Kahi noticed this.

“Fine,” she finally said. “You can come back.”

Nana and Lizzy looked astonished.

“Thank you headmaster!” they both shouted in unison as they stood up and bowed. They left the room with goofy smiles on their faces. Kahi looked out her window and sighed. I really hope they have a happily ever after, she thought to herself. There was a sudden knock on the door. Kahi turned around to see a beautiful woman standing in the doorway. Her hair was tied messily and her glasses were perched atop her nose. She was wearing a white blouse and a black skirt with heels. Kahi’s breath caught in .

“Can I come in?” the woman said gently.

“Yes of course,” Kahi said gesturing to the chair in front of her desk.

Jungah sat down and crossed one leg over the other. Kahi was avoiding her gaze as she looked at the papers on her desk.

“Are you busy? I could come back another time,” she said.

Kahi looked up at Jungah and smiled gently.

“No. Stay.”

“I saw Nana and Lizzy in the hallway,” Jungah mentioned hesitantly.

Kahi simply nodded.

“Is there something you want to talk about?” she mused.

Kahi shook her head.

“Kahi what’s wrong?” Jungah asked concerned. She walked over to Kahi’s desk and sat on it. She held Kahi’s hand tightly. Kahi looked down at their hands and looked up at Jungah.

“Nothing.”

“Kahi I know something’s wrong,” she said.

“Remember when we were younger and we were so carefree?”

Jungah nodded. “The simpler times.”

“Lizzy and Nana remind me of us when we were younger,” she said quietly.

“Kahi, sweetie you can’t let the past distort your present. They know what they’re doing and even if they don’t they’ll learn. You can’t keep them from each other even if you’re trying to protect them. At the end of the day you’re protection is going to make you look like the bad guy,” Jungah said.

“I know, but it’s hard for them to be together in such a homophobic society,” Kahi said.

Jungah smiled. “We’re doing it, so can they.”

Kahi lifted their hands and kissed Jungah’s hand.

“Learn to accept them, wouldn’t you have wanted the same for us?” Jungah asked.

“I don’t want them to end up married to someone they don’t love. I don’t want them to end up like us. I want them to be happy,” Kahi said genuinely.

“They will be if you accept them and help them. Don’t make them fear you; make them come to you in times of need. Become a friend-like aunt.”

Kahi smiled. “What would I do without you Jjung?”

Jungah smirked. “You’d make stupid decisions.”

“Hey!” Kahi shoved Jungah softly. They laughed and ended up talking for the rest of the night.

~

Nana and Lizzy went back to their room. Lizzy was sitting on her bed and Nana was sitting on hers. They were just staring at each other and smiling.

“I feel like I’m dreaming,” Lizzy said.

“Well you’re not. At least I hope you’re not,” Nana said.

Lizzy chuckled.

She walked over to Nana’s night table and took out the letter and Nana’s drawing book.

“My drawing book!” Nana got up and Lizzy handed her the book.

She smiled down at the book. “I thought I lost it, I didn’t know I left it here.”

“The drawings gave me comfort while you were away. Especially the last one,” Lizzy admitted.

Nana flipped to the last page of the sketchbook. She smiled as she remembered the moment she drew this.

“I drew this the night you said you’d go to the dance with me,” she said quietly.

“Funny how things don’t turn out how you thought they would,” Lizzy said.

Nana put the book down on her bed and approached Lizzy. She held her hands. Lizzy’s heart was racing. Nana smirked.

“I could feel your pulse racing,” she said.

Lizzy blushed.

Nana leaned in close to Lizzy breathing in her scent and whispered in her ear, “Things turned out better than I expected. I finally get to be with you.”