Forgiveness

Love In The Ice

“Lizzy, I’m meeting up with Raina at lunch, let the other members of Student Council know,” Nana said as her and Lizzy were walking to the cafeteria.

“Oh, are you going to apologize to her unnie?” Lizzy asked.

Nana nodded. “I’ll see you later Lizzy.”

“Good luck unnie,” Lizzy said sweetly and waved.

She walked into the cafeteria and headed towards the Student Council’s lunch table.

“Where’s Nana?” Seohyun asked.

“She went to go talk to Raina,” Lizzy replied as she sat down.

Meanwhile, Nana headed outside to the old tree in the school gardens. She sat under the tree. She was nervous. She still had no idea how she was going to apologize. She sat under the tree remembering the first time she met Raina.

Flashback

It was her first year at Hansung High School. Nana was walking down the hallway to her dorm room, she was about to turn the corner except she quickly hid behind the wall. There was a group of second years bullying a first year student. She took a peak to see the leader of the group had the first year student pinned to the wall. Nana tried to listen to the conversation.

“So, you think you’re better than us?” the second year girl asked.

“N-No, of course not,” the first year student quickly replied.

There were three other second year students around too. They all had their arms crossed over their chests. They had these menacing looks on their faces.

“You’re so ugly! How can you even show your face?” the leader of the group said.

The other three girls laughed. The first year student looked terrified.

“Don’t worry, I’ll make you look pretty,” she said making a fist.

She held the first year student by to the wall and punched her in the face. There was blood trickling down the first year’s mouth and nose. She was about to punch her again but a hand stopped her fist. Nana couldn’t take it anymore. She didn’t care if she’d get hurt too. It was hard to watch someone get bullied. The second year turned around.

“Yah! Who do you think you are?!” she yelled at Nana.

“Who do you think you are?! Why are you bullying this innocent girl? What did she do to you huh?” Nana shouted in response.

They all turned their attention to Nana.

“Seems like you want to join your friend,” the second year said.

“Let’s teach her a lesson,” one of the girls suggested.

Nana’s heart was beating rapidly as they were cornering her to the wall. She was trying to think of a plan. She reached to the side pocket of her bag and pulled out a ruler. I guess this will have to do, she thought.

“A ruler?! What are you going to do with that?” the second year laughed.

The girl pinned Nana to the wall. Nana jabbed the ruler in the girl’s stomach. The girl yelped and let go of Nana as she held her stomach. The other three girls tried to punch her and grab her. Nana dodged all their shots. She jabbed her ruler in the girl’s stomachs, sides, arms, thighs etc. They were all on the ground in pain. This ruler did come in handy, she thought. She ran to the other side of the hallway where the first year student was lying unconscious with blood streaming down her face. Nana lifted the girl and she tried running as fast as she could to the nurse’s room.

“What happened?” one of the nurses said in alarm as she saw Nana carrying the first year student.

“These second year students were bullying her and they knocked her out,” Nana explained.

“Quickly, put her on the bed,” the nurse said.

Nana placed her on the bed and a couple of nurses came to help. They told Nana to wait outside until they clean her up. Nana sat on a chair. She was worried that the first year student wouldn’t wake up. She felt guilty. If only I had done something sooner this wouldn’t have happened, she thought. One of the nurses came outside.

“You can come inside, your friend is still unconscious though,” she told Nana.

Nana went inside and sat on a chair beside the bed that the first year student was lying on. She waited there for hours until the girl woke up. Her eyes fluttered open and her hand twitched. Nana quickly got up to get a nurse. The nurse came inside.

“Hello, you’re awake,” the nurse said.

“Where am I?” she asked.

“You’re at the nurse’s office,” she informed.

The girl slowly nodded as she remembered what happened.

“Can you tell me your name?” the nurse asked as she shone a small flashlight into the girl’s eyes.

“Oh Raina,” she replied.

“Everything seems to be fine. If you need anything please press this button,” the nurse said before she left.

Nana slowly approached the girl’s bed.

“Thank you,” she said.

“Please don’t thank me,” Nana replied.

“You saved me. It would’ve been worse if you hadn’t interfered so thank you.” She smiled.

Nana didn’t reply.

“My name is Oh Raina,” the girl said introducing herself.

“I’m Im Nana,” she smiled gently at Raina.

“Nice to meet you Nana-ssi,” Raina said.

End of Flashback

“Nana…”

Nana opened her eyes to see Raina standing in front of her. She quickly sat up.

“Raina, please sit,” Nana said.

Raina sat down beside Nana.

“Were you sleeping?” she asked.

“I was just resting my eyes.”

“So why did you want to talk to me?” Raina asked.

“Remember this tree?” Nana asked.

“Yes. Is that why you wanted to see me? To discuss a tree?” Raina asked.

“Remember what happened under this tree?” she asked.

Raina was silent.

“Look, Raina I am sorry, for everything that I have put you through. You didn’t deserve any of it. I’m sorry,” Nana said.

Raina didn’t say anything.

“I understand if you never want to forgive me. I just wanted to apologize to you. I’m sorry Raina,” Nana said fighting back tears.

“I remember what happened under this tree. I kissed you. You were so shocked,” Raina said laughing softly at the memory.

“I’m sorry,” Nana apologized again.

“You were my only friend. After that kiss, you changed so much,” Raina said.

Nana let the tears stroll down her face.

“I’m sorry,” she whispered.

“It’s okay. I forgive you,” Raina said.