Melting Away

Love In The Ice

Lizzy was in her room waiting for Nana to comeback from the headmaster’s office. It was now 10 p.m. and Lizzy was getting worried. She decided to go down to the headmaster’s office to see if Nana was there. She went to the office except the doors were locked. The office was closed. The headmaster probably went to her room. Lizzy sighed. She decided to text Nana.

President, where are you?- Lizzy

In the school gardens a lonely blonde was sitting on a bench by herself. She was crying silently when her phone vibrated in the pocket of her skirt. She wiped her tears away and pulled out her phone. It was a text message from Lizzy. She opened it and read it. She had a small smile on her face. Why are you so nice to me Lizzy? Nana thought.

I’m in the school garden-Nana

She replied to Lizzy’s text and put her phone back in her pocket. Nana was still thinking about the conversation that she had with Kahi. I have a month, I can do it, she thought. Lizzy found Nana sitting on the park bench. She walked over.

“President,” she said and bowed.

“Lizzy just call me unnie,” Nana said weakly.

“Okay. What’s wrong unnie? You look sad,” Lizzy asked concerned.

“Sit.” Nana patted the spot next to her.

Lizzy sat down beside Nana on the bench.

“How was your chat with the headmaster?” Lizzy asked.

“I should’ve seen it coming,” Nana replied bitterly.

“Was it bad?”

Nana nodded.

“I’ve been very rude towards all of you. I deserve this,” she said.

“What are you going to do now?” Lizzy asked.

“I am going to apologize to everyone that I’ve been rude toward and that starts with you,” Nana said turning to face Lizzy.

Lizzy was taken aback. She looked at Nana and saw hurt in her eyes.

“Lizzy I am sorry for the way I treated you when you became my roommate. I have never shared a room with anyone before so I didn’t know how to handle it. I’m sorry I didn’t let you share my bed the first week you came. I’m sorry that I didn’t let you use my bathroom. I’m sorry that I set so many rules for you to follow once you became my roommate. I’m sorry for making you sign a contract when you became my secretary. I’m sorry for getting mad at you for getting my coffee wrong. I’m sorry for punishing you twice, you really didn’t deserve it,” she apologized.

Lizzy heard the sincerity in her voice and saw how sorry she was.

“I forgive you unnie,” she said.

“Really?” Nana was shocked.

Lizzy nodded and smiled at her.

“Can we start over?” Nana asked.

“Yes of course!” Lizzy said happily.

“Hi, I’m Im Nana, the president of Hansung High School. Please don’t ever hesitate to speak to me,” she said holding out her hand.

“Nice to meet you Presi- I mean Nana unnie. I’m Park Lizzy, I transferred here from a public school in Busan. I hope we can be friends,” she said shaking Nana’s hand.

Nana smiled and started to cry.

“U-Unnie…” Lizzy was startled at Nana’s sudden outburst of tears.

“I’m sorry Lizzy, I’m not sad don’t worry,” Nana said wiping away her tears.

“Then why are you crying?”

“I’m happy,” she replied smiling at Lizzy.

“Huh?” Lizzy was confused.

“I’m happy because you’re the first person who has been kind to me because you wanted to not because you had to be. Thank you for wanting to be my friend,” Nana said shyly.

Lizzy giggled. “Unnie it’s as if you’ve never had a friend before.”

Nana was quiet.

Lizzy widened her eyes. “You’ve never had a friend?!”

“I’ve never had a friend. People are scared of me, they fear me. They envy me from afar. I’m ‘The Goddess’ of this school. Everyone’s afraid to talk to me. Because of that I have grown this cold exterior and I act rude around everyone. I never act nicely. If I do it is when nobody’s around. I’ve been lonely,” she said honestly.

“Wow…I had no idea. I thought you had tons of friends because you’re The Goddess of Hansung High,” Lizzy said surprised.

Nana shook her head.

“It’s okay unnie. I’ll be happy to be your first friend,” Lizzy said holding her hand.

Nana was shocked by the sudden gesture but she smiled at Lizzy and squeezed her hand.

“Thank you Lizzy-ah.”