Movie Night

Love In The Ice

Hansung High was hosting their annual movie night. It was to be held on one of the huge sports fields of the school. The students were all excited to have a break from school and studying. Nana had been back at Hansung High for three months now. They only had one month of school left before summer vacation. For Nana, Raina and Seohyun this meant that they’d be graduating in a month and off to university in the fall.

Nana was in class. She was sitting by the window. Her mind wandered as she stared outside. It was such a beautiful spring morning. She couldn’t wait for tonight. Nana and Lizzy had become even closer. They were practically inseparable. The students loved the new couple.

“Nana class is over,” Raina said as she got up from her seat.

Nana turned her head and looked at Raina. There was still some sort of tension between them but it wasn’t as bad as it was before. Nana packed up her belongings and stood up. Her and Raina bowed to their teacher and walked down the hall to their next class.

“Movie night’s tonight,” Raina mentioned.

Nana nodded. “I know. Do you know what movie they’re playing?”

“No clue. You should ask Lizzy. Student Council chose the movie,” she replied.

Just as they were about to head into the classroom, Krystal stopped them.

“Nana could I speak to you for a second?” she asked.

“Yeah, of course,” Nana replied.

“I’m gonna go inside,” Raina said.

“I’ll be right there,” Nana said.

She followed Krystal down the hall. They stopped at the end and stood there.

“What’s up?” Nana asked.

“How did you do it?” Krystal asked suddenly.

Nana stared at Krystal confused. “Do what?”

“How did you make the entire school fall in love with you?”

Nana smirked and shrugged. “I don’t have an answer for you.”

“People still treat you like you’re president. I don’t understand how they love you so much,” Krystal said.

Nana chuckled softly. “Krystal I’m sorry, I don’t get your point.”

Krystal her lips and continued, “I’m scared that when you graduate next year the students won’t care for Student Council anymore because you’re gone.”

“Why do you think that?”

“Because when you weren’t here, nobody gave two damns about Student Council,” Krystal explained.

Nana couldn’t help but smile at that piece of information. She was flattered that the students loved her so much.

“Don’t worry, I got it covered,” she reassured the president.

“How?” Krystal asked curious.

“You’ll see. Now I have to head to class. See you at lunch.” Nana smiled and waved before she turned around and walked to class.

“Miss Im, you’re late,” Miss Lee Jooyeon said as Nana made her way to her seat.

“Sorry, this won’t happen again,” Nana apologized as she sat down in her seat beside Raina.

“What did Krystal want?” Raina whispered.

“She just wanted to know how to organize everyone for movie night,” Nana whispered back.

“Even when we’re not part of Student Council we still are,” Raina said.

“That’s cause we have the most experience,” Nana replied.

“Girls stop talking,” Miss Lee shouted.

Raina and Nana shut up and went back to work.

The bell rang, signaling the end of class and the beginning of lunch. Nana and Raina walked to the cafeteria. As per usual, the students would bow and say ‘hello’. Since they couldn’t call Nana ‘President’ anymore they called her ‘Goddess’. One of the girls opened the cafeteria door for them.

“After you Goddess,” she said.

Nana smiled. “Thank you.”

“I heard that Krystal is jealous of you,” Raina said quietly as they grabbed their lunch trays and made their way to the Student Council table.

“Where did you hear that from?” Nana asked.

“Kaeun and E-young,” she replied. “Apparently Krystal doesn’t want us to sit at the Student Council table anymore since we’re not part of it. We shouldn’t be getting special privileges.”

“Well then let’s sit somewhere else.”

Raina looked at Nana shocked. “Seriously?”

“Why not? She’s right. I would’ve said the same thing.”

“That’s true,” Raina agreed.

They walked past the Student Council table and found an empty table to sit at.

“Why aren’t they sitting with us?” E-young asked.

“Maybe they finally realized they’re not part of Student Council anymore,” Krystal said, a satisfied smirk playing on her lips.

Lizzy got up from her seat. “I’ll be back,” she announced. She walked over to Nana and Raina’s table and placed her hands on Nana’s eyes. Nana smiled and removed the hands from her face. She turned around to see Lizzy standing behind her. Lizzy smiled and pecked Nana on the cheek.

“That’s all I get?” Nana said pouting.

Lizzy laughed. “Yes! That’s all you get!”

Raina rolled her eyes at the couple before her.

“Why aren’t you guys sitting with us?” Lizzy asked.

“We’re not part of Student Council,” Nana reminded her.

“But, you’ve been sitting with us all semester,” Lizzy said.

“Because things were shaky, but now it seems like Krystal’s got the hang of things,” Nana said calmly as she ate her food.

Lizzy nodded slowly contemplating Nana’s words.

“We’ll see each other after classes. It’s movie night, remember?” Nana said trying to cheer Lizzy up.

Lizzy smiled. “I can’t wait. See you later.” She leaned in and kissed Nana’s cheek again. She waved at Raina and left.

Classes were finally over. Nana was making her way back to her dorm room when a hand gently held her own. She turned her head to the left to see Lizzy walking beside her. She smiled.

“Excited for movie night?” she asked cheerily as they walked hand in hand to their dorm room.

Lizzy nodded her head enthusiastically.

“What movie are we watching?” Nana asked.

“Inside Out.”

“I haven’t seen it yet,” Nana mentioned.

“It’s a really good movie. Hopefully you like it,” Lizzy said as they approached their dorm room.

Nana took the keys out of her bag and unlocked the door. They walked in. Nana slammed herself on her bed and groaned from exhaustion. Lizzy sat on her bed and stared at Nana from across the room.

“Tired?” she asked.

“Yeah,” Nana replied staring at the ceiling.

“I’m going to get ready,” Lizzy announced as she went into the bathroom.

Nana continued to look up at ceiling as she thought about the conversation she had with the headmaster earlier today.

Flashback

“Miss Im, sorry to pull you out of your class. Take a seat please,” the headmaster said as she gestured to the chair across from her desk. Nana nervously nodded and sat down. Ever since she’d come back to Hansung High her relationship with the headmaster had been rocky. The headmaster clearly wasn’t too thrilled to have Nana back at Hansung High and Nana knew that even though the headmaster never explicitly stated it. Nana was heartbroken that the headmaster continued to dislike her, especially since the headmaster had thought of Nana as a daughter once upon a time. The headmaster cleared making Nana look up in her direction.

“I know that the students still hold you in high regards and respect you, that is why I have decided that you should be valedictorian for your graduation,” Kahi said.

Nana’s eyes widened in bewilderment, even if she was still respected by the students, the headmaster certainly didn’t like her that much to make her valedictorian.

Kahi placed her arms onto her desk and leaned on her elbows as she searched Nana’s face.

“You seem surprised,” she mentioned.

Nana snapped out of her daze and straightened her posture.

“I didn’t think I was going to be considered for the spot, that’s all,” she said breezily.

Kahi nodded. “Well congratulations.”

Nana stood up from her seat and bowed. “Thank you.” She walked out of the headmaster’s office and went to class.

End of Flashback

Nana sat up from her bed. She looked at Lizzy who was brushing her hair.

“What?” she asked as she noticed Nana staring at her.

“The headmaster told me that I’m valedictorian for graduation,” Nana revealed.

Lizzy put her hairbrush down and walked over to Nana to sit beside her.

“That’s great!” she exclaimed as she hugged her.

“I was really surprised that she allowed me to be valedictorian to be honest,” Nana admitted.

Lizzy let her go, and stared at her as her eyebrows furrowed in confusion. “Of course she would. Why wouldn’t she?”

Nana hesitated before answering. “I-I don’t think the headmaster likes me. I think she’s just tolerating me at this point because of you and because I only have a month left here.”

Lizzy stared at the beautiful girl in front of her; she didn’t know what to say. What Nana was saying was most likely true, but as she looked at Nana’s face, she seemed hurt.

“Are you hurt by it?” Lizzy asked delicately.

Nana looked up at her girlfriend. She realized that she was being too vulnerable at this moment. She took a deep breath and exhaled. She smiled and said, “No, I was just saying, that’s all.”

She brushed it off quickly and stood up from her bed. Lizzy stared at her curiously. Why did she avoid my question? She thought.

“We should go to the movie night,” Nana said.

Nana and Lizzy were snuggled together on a blanket on one of the sports fields near the school gardens with another blanket draped on their legs. There was a giant screen and projector at the end of the field. The entire school was here it was so busy. Nana wanted to sit with Lizzy alone away from their friends. Lizzy placed her head on Nana’s shoulder and held her hand.

“Why did you avoid my question earlier?” Lizzy suddenly said.

“What question?” Nana mumbled.

“Are you hurt that the headmaster might dislike you?” Lizzy asked again.

Nana felt uncomfortable all of a sudden. Lizzy felt Nana’s pulse quicken.

“Can’t we just enjoy the movie?” Nana said abruptly.

Lizzy wanted to say something but fell silent. This wasn’t the first time that Lizzy had asked Nana about how she feels about her strained relationship with Kahi. Every time Lizzy had asked the question Nana would brush it off or avoid it. Lizzy wished that Nana wouldn’t guard her feelings so much and would express them to her. Lizzy sighed inwardly.

“Welcome to Hansung High’s annual movie night!” Krystal announced into a microphone near the giant screen. Everyone cheered and clapped. “Tonight’s movie is Inside Out. I sincerely hope you all enjoy it. Snacks and refreshments are available near the entrance to the gardens. As always you are allowed to leave at any time during the movie. Thank you.” The students whooped some more as Krystal went to sit down with the rest of Student Council.

“Lizzy,” Nana whispered.

“Hm?”

“I’m sorry for always avoiding your question,” she said sincerely.

Lizzy lifted her head from Nana’s shoulder and stared at her.

“You don’t have to hide your true feelings with me. You can tell me anything,” Lizzy assured her.

Nana nodded. “I know. I just need some time. It’s hard for me to express my feelings.”

Lizzy smiled gently. “It’s okay.”

Nana smiled and kissed her forehead gently. Lizzy felt her face heat up from the sweet gesture.

“Now shh! Let’s watch the movie!” she said playfully as she put her head back on Nana’s shoulder.