Advice, Confrontation, Chase

Love In The Ice

“Hey Nana…” Lizzy looked over at Nana who was doing homework.

She turned to face Lizzy. “What?”

Lizzy opened but the she closed it again. She shook her head. “Never mind.”

Nana observed Lizzy carefully. She saw the worry on her face. “Lizzy-ah, I know something is bothering you. Ever since you left the headmaster’s office this afternoon you’ve had the same expression on your face.”

Lizzy sighed, “If I tell you something, do you promise to keep it a secret?”

“Of course,” Nana replied sincerely.

“Okay so the headmaster is my aunt,” Lizzy started.

Nana smiled gently. “I already knew that. She told me the first day you came here.”

“Really? Oh…well I caught her with Miss Kim…” she trailed off.

“Miss Kim Jungah?” Nana asked.

Lizzy nodded weakly.

“There’s been rumours about those two having a thing for ages,” Nana said.

“But…my aunt is married to a man!” Lizzy exclaimed in shock.

Nana mouthed ‘oh’ and stood up from her chair. She walked over to Lizzy and sat beside her on the bed.

“So the headmaster is married to a man and is having an affair with a teacher who is a woman,” Nana muttered.

“I can’t believe this,” Lizzy groaned. She put her head in her hands.

“It’s going to be fine,” she tried to reassure her.

Lizzy looked up at Nana. “How do you know?”

“I think you should talk to your aunt about this and te-“

“No that’ll make things worse or even more awkward,” Lizzy interrupted.

“But, if you tell her about what you saw and ask her why she is doing it than maybe-“

“Maybe what? Maybe she’ll say she’s in love with Miss Kim?” she questioned.

“What if she has a good reason? Maybe she is in love with Miss Kim, you can’t get in the way of that Lizzy. Love is a powerful force,” Nana advised.

Lizzy stared at Nana for a long time contemplating her words.

“Maybe you’re right,” she said slowly.

“If you want I’ll come with you,” Nana suggested.

Lizzy smiled weakly. “It’s okay, I can go by myself.”

“It’ll be fine,” Nana assured her.

“I hope so.”

The next morning before heading to the Student Council room, Lizzy made her way to Kahi’s main office. She stepped inside and told the secretary that she has to speak with the headmaster.

“Please have a seat, the headmaster will be with you shortly,” the secretary said.

Lizzy sat on a chair, waiting anxiously to confront her aunt about what she saw yesterday. She bit her lip and started twiddling her thumbs. 

“You can go in now,” the secretary told her.

Lizzy took a deep breath and exhaled. She stood up and walked into the headmaster’s office.

Kahi looked up from her papers and smiled when she saw Lizzy.

“Good morning Lizzy,” she greeted.

“Good morning,” Lizzy replied quietly.

She sat down on the seat across from Kahi’s desk. She was staring at her palms nervously. Kahi noticed.

“Lizzy, is there something wrong?” she asked.

“Um, well y-yesterday I came to see you but,” Lizzy stuttered.

“But?”

She looked up at her aunt. “I saw you with Miss Kim.”

Kahi’s eyes widened a little. She looked down at her papers. She was trying to find the right words to explain but her mind was completely blank.

“I was confused, and I still am. You’re married,” Lizzy stated.

Kahi cleared . “Yes I am.”

“Then why did you do that?” she questioned.

A mixture of emotions clouded over Kahi’s face.

“When I got married it wasn’t for love. My parents, your grandparents, had arranged that I marry the first son of that family. I care about him but I don’t love him,” Kahi explained.

“Why don’t you just divorce?” she asked.

“It’s complicated Lizzy,” Kahi responded.

“D-Do you love Miss Kim?”

A small smile played on Kahi’s lips. “Yes I do.”

“I hope you can resolve whatever it is with your husband. You deserve to be happy auntie,” Lizzy said genuinely.

Kahi smiled, as she got teary eyed.

“Thank you darling. I’m sorry if this situation has bothered you,” she said.

“It hasn’t, don’t worry.”

Kahi nodded. “Is there anything else you would like to discuss?”

Lizzy shook her head. “I’ll be leaving then.”

“Alright, have a nice day,” Kahi said.

“Goodbye.” Lizzy bowed before exiting her aunt’s office.

She felt better now that she had that little conversation with her aunt. As she was walking to the Student Council room a girl blocked her path. She crossed her arms.

“Where do you think you’re going?” she said smugly.

“I have to go to the Student Council room. If you could please move that would be great,” Lizzy said.

The girl scoffed. Lizzy went to her right, the girl followed. She moved to the left but the girl still blocked her path.

“Hi Nana unnie!” Lizzy waved.

The girl quickly looked behind her and Lizzy booked it.

“Hey! You fool! How dare you trick me?” the girl yelled as she chased Lizzy through the halls.

One of the girl’s friends saw what was happening and decided to help catch Lizzy. Lizzy swerved around a corner and hid behind the wall. She was out of breath. She looked to check if the coast was clear before walking again. But as soon as she left her hiding spot, someone knocked her out from behind and everything faded to black.