News Travels Fast

Love In The Ice

“Did you hear? President Nana is taking Secretary Lizzy to the dance,” one girl whispered to her friend.

“Yah, that Lizzy girl is so lucky! I’m so jealous, what makes her so special?” another girl said as she crossed her arms over her chest.

E-young stifled giggles as she walked by the students of Hansung High who had just heard the news that Nana was in fact taking Lizzy to the semi-formal dance. Nana and Lizzy had announced it at the Student Council Room that morning. During first period the rumours began to circulate throughout the school and all morning E-young has heard snippets of conversations circulating around the hallways of jealous girls wishing they were in Lizzy’s place and how lucky she was to be The Goddess’ date to the dance. E-young walked into the cafeteria and went to their usual table. Everyone was staring at them and whispering.

“Wow, you guys are literally all I’ve heard people talk about this morning,” E-young said as she sat down in her seat beside Kaeun.

Nana smirked. “I’m all people talk about every morning E-young-ah.”

“Someone’s a little conceited,” Seohyun said jokingly.

The girls all chuckled including Nana.

“Where’s Lizzy by the way?” E-young asked as she noticed her absence.

“The headmaster wanted to see her,” Nana responded.

“For what?” Kaeun chirped.

Nana simply shrugged before she got out of her seat.

“I’m leaving,” she announced.

The other girls waved to her as she walked away.

As she was walking down the hallway she noticed Lizzy with her head down as though she were deep in thought. She stood in front of her blocking her path. Lizzy looked up to see Nana standing in front of her.

“What did the headmaster want?” Nana asked.

“Nothing. She just wanted to see how I was doing,” Lizzy said.

Nana wrapped an arm around Lizzy’s shoulders as they started to walk.

“As The Goddess of Hansung High, I have many admirers as you may know,” Nana said.

Lizzy nodded trying to understand where Nana was going with this.

“Those admirers are all jealous that we’re going to the dance together,” she continued.

Lizzy smiled to herself.

“But,” Nana said as she stopped in her tracks. She faced Lizzy and looked at her seriously. “Those girls will try to hurt you in anyway possible, so I want you to watch out in case they do anything. Some people can’t handle jealousy.”

“I can handle them. And it’s not like we’re dating, we’re only going to a dance together,” Lizzy said.

Nana’s heart sank when she heard that. She pulled a tight smile and said, “I just wanted to warn you.”

“Well thanks for the warning ‘Goddess’.” Lizzy put goddess in air quotes.

Nana bumped her hip against Lizzy’s. “What you don’t think I am?”

Lizzy’s mouth felt dry. “No I don’t,” she lied.

Nana pretended she was mad but she ended up laughing at her response.

“What?”

“You’re the first person to say that. But I don’t know if you mean it,” she said narrowing her eyes at Lizzy.

Lizzy scoffed, “So full of yourself.”

The bell went off signaling that lunch was over. Nana and Lizzy said their goodbyes and walked separate ways to their classrooms.

Once Nana walked into her next class everyone stood up to bow. She sat down in her seat beside Raina.

“Taking Lizzy to the dance,” Raina said in a low voice.

“Yes,” Nana replied happily.

Raina scooted closer to Nana. She looked directly at her.

“What?” Nana asked startled by how serious Raina looked.

“I overheard a few girls who were saying they were going to ‘teach Lizzy a lesson’,” Raina whispered.

Nana heaved a sigh. “I knew this would happen. I already told Lizzy to watch out in case something does happen.”

“Imagine if you two were dating…” Raina trailed off.

“Well we aren’t,” Nana said quickly.

“Do you like her?” Raina asked.

Nana looked to the front of the room avoiding eye contact.

“Do we have to have this conversation right now?”

“You aren’t denying it,” Raina said smirking.

Nana turned to face her. “Even if I did have feelings for Lizzy, which I don’t, she wouldn’t like me back.”

“Why wouldn’t she? The entire school wants to be your girlfriend,” Raina replied.

“Lizzy’s too good for me. If she did like me, I wouldn’t ask her to be my girlfriend. She deserves better,” Nana said quietly.

Raina’s eyes widened at her response. Nana cares about somebody else’s feelings before her own? She thought as she tried to process it.

“What if she only wants you and there is nobody better,” Raina mused as she arched her brow.

“Let’s not get ahead of ourselves. We’re only going to a dance together that’s all,” Nana hissed ending their conversation.

Raina shrugged. “Whatever you say.”