Stand Up

Love In The Ice

“Alright, Lizzy don’t be nervous. You’ll do great,” Seohyun assured her.

“I don’t know. Sooyoung and Krystal’s speeches were really good,” Lizzy said unsure.

“You’ve got this. We spent hours prepping you and practicing. You can do it,” she reassured her.

Lizzy took a deep breath and exhaled. She smiled and went up on stage.

The audience applauded as Lizzy made her way to the podium. She placed her paper on the podium and looked up at the students seated before her. She looked around and saw a familiar face. She squinted. Nana? But before she could confirm what she saw, the headmaster said, “Lizzy you can start now.”

Lizzy smiled at her aunt and began her speech.

“Students of Hansung High, thank you for coming today. I am Park Lizzy, your secretary,” Lizzy paused. She looked down at her paper and folded it. She looked back up again and scanned the crowed looking for the face that looked like Nana. She couldn’t see her. She sighed and continued, “The reason I’m up here is because former Student Council president Im Nana told me that I should take her place as president. I am not ready for the post of president; therefore, I am dropping out of the race. Please vote for either Choi Sooyoung or Krystal Jung; they’d make a better school president than I. Thank you for your time.”

Lizzy went back stage. Seohyun dropped her clipboard and rushed up to Lizzy.

“After all the work we went through now you decide to drop out?!” she exclaimed feeling betrayed.

“I’m sorry unnie. I’m not fit to be president,” Lizzy apologized.

Seohyun shook her head and walked away.

“Seohyun!” Lizzy yelled behind her but she was gone. She turned around and saw the headmaster. She looked angry.

“So, you decided to run because of Nana but now you decide to forfeit, why?” Kahi asked confused.

“It’s not something I want to do. I like my post as secretary. I want to give the other two girls a chance,” she explained.

“I’m very disappointed in you,” Kahi said and was about to turn around when Lizzy caught her arm.

“You don’t know what I’ve been through! Do you realize that you let Nana leave even when I pleaded for you to let her stay? Did you not think even for a second that none of this was her fault? How can you let my friend, my roommate, my…how can you let her leave?” she exclaimed.

All of the feelings that Lizzy had pent up inside for so long burst out. Kahi looked at her incredulously.

“How dare you speak to me that way,” she hissed.

“You’re supposed to look out for me not hurt me,” Lizzy cried.

“Go to your room,” Kahi demanded, “now!”

Lizzy huffed angrily and left the auditorium. She couldn’t believe that she just stood up to her aunt. She felt a huge weight lifted off her shoulders but at the same time she felt guilty for speaking to her aunt in that way. As she came closer to her room she saw Raina standing outside the door. She turned her head when she heard Lizzy approach.

“Are you okay?” Raina asked worried.

Lizzy smiled and nodded. “I’m actually okay.”

She opened the door to her room. “Do you want to come in?”

“Yes,” Raina replied.

They sat on her bed.

“It must’ve been hard for you to forfeit like that,” Raina said.

“It was, but I had to do it. I’m not ready to be president of Student Council,” Lizzy said.

“That’s understandable.”

“Not to Seohyun it wasn’t.”

“What happened?” Raina asked.

“She got angry and left,” Lizzy explained.

Raina nodded.

“By the way, nobody knows this, but the headmaster is my aunt,” Lizzy revealed.

“Oh, that makes more sense,” Raina said as realization swept over her.

“Hm?”

“You and the headmaster always seemed very close,” Raina clarified.

“Well we haven’t been lately,” Lizzy mumbled.

“How come?”

“She banned me from seeing or talking to Nana. She didn’t even listen to me. I yelled at her a while ago actually. She got angry and sent me to my room,” Lizzy replied.

“Wow…do you think she’ll forgive you?”

Lizzy shrugged. “I honestly don’t care at this point. She hurt me. She ruined me.”

“Did you tell her why she hurt you?” Raina asked.

“Of course. She took away my friend, I let her know.”

“Let me rephrase that. Did you tell her the actual reason?” she asked again.

“That is the actual reason,” Lizzy said confused.

“Then, do you know the actual reason as to why Nana’s departure has hurt you so much?”

Lizzy fell silent. She closed her eyes.

“The actual reason is because I have feelings for her,” Lizzy said quietly.

She opened her eyes to see Raina smiling widely.

“You finally admitted it. Now you’re one step closer to moving on,” Raina said happily.

Lizzy smiled weakly. “I hope so.”