Tutor

Love In The Ice

“The reason why I called you to my office the day you walked in on me, was because I noticed your grades were dropping,” Kahi said to Lizzy. They were in her office. Lizzy was seated across from Kahi’s desk.

“Are my grades dropping in every class?” she asked anxiously.

“No, just math,” Kahi replied.

“Yeah, math is kinda hard,” Lizzy admitted.

“That’s okay. I’ve asked for one of the fourth year students to tutor you,” Kahi informed.

“Who?”

“Oh Raina. I believe you know her.”

“Yes, we’re friends,” Lizzy said.

“Good. You are meeting with her after classes finish at the library.”

Lizzy nodded, stood up, bowed and left her aunt’s office. She walked to the Student Council room. She didn’t take up the position of president yet. She wanted it to be fair so she asked that there be elections and the students choose their next president. Election campaigns were beginning in a week. Seohyun was Lizzy’s campaign manager. She was very organized and got things done in a timely manner. Lizzy’s competition was fourth year student, Choi Sooyoung, and third year student, Krystal Jung. Both girls were well liked by the student body. But, Lizzy didn’t mind if she lost, she was only running because Nana had asked her to take her place.

“Are you excited to campaign next week?” Kaeun asked her.

“Somewhat,” Lizzy answered softly.

E-young and Kaeun looked at each other. They knew Lizzy missed Nana, even if she didn’t admit it. Everyone tried their best to avoid her name at all costs around Lizzy.

“What did the headmaster want to see you for?” E-young asked.

“Apparently I need a math tutor,” she replied.

“Who’s gonna tutor you?” E-young said.

“Raina unnie.” Lizzy placed her books in her bag and got up. “I have to go to class. I’ll see you later.”

“Bye,” E-young and Kaeun said in unison as they watched Lizzy stride out of the room.

After classes finished for the day, Lizzy made her way to the school library. She found a table and sat down as she waited for Raina. She took out her math stuff and began to work. Twenty minutes later, Raina finally showed up.

“Sorry I’m late Lizzy! I had to deal with something. I hope I didn’t make you wait too long,” Raina apologized as she sat beside Lizzy.

“It’s fine,” Lizzy replied.

“So the headmaster said you’re struggling in math,” Raina stated.

Lizzy nodded.

“Don’t worry, I’ll help you out.” Raina smiled sweetly.

Lizzy felt a tug at her lips as they formed into a small smile.

“Let’s get to work,” Raina suggested.

An hour passed, their tutoring session was finished.

“Lizzy.”

Lizzy looked up at Raina. “What?”

“Are you okay?” Raina asked.

“Yes, why wouldn’t I be?”

“Well,” Raina said hesitantly, “ever since Nana left you’ve been very…to yourself. You barely talk unless someone speaks to you and”

“Don’t assume that you know what’s going on,” Lizzy burst out.

Raina’s eyes widened a bit. “Lizzy, I’m not here to argue with you. I just want to help.”

“I don’t need help because there’s nothing wrong okay?” Lizzy replied harshly.

“It’s okay to be hurting. It’s okay to miss her,” Raina said softly as she touched Lizzy’s cheek gently.

Lizzy looked down at her lap as she tried not to cry.

“Lizzy, look at me. Tell me what’s wrong,” Raina pleaded.

Lizzy slowly looked up. A few tears escaped from her eyes. She couldn’t hold it back anymore, she cried. This shocked Raina but she quickly hugged Lizzy.

“Shh, everything’s going to be okay,” Raina said calmly as Lizzy sobbed on her shoulder.

After a while, Lizzy calmed down. She let go of Raina and said, “I miss her a lot. I don’t know how to make the sadness go away.”

Raina looked at her solemnly.

“I don’t know what to tell you but you have to figure out a way to not be sad about this anymore. You can’t let her ruin you like this,” she said.

“She’s not ruining me. The fact that I can’t see her again is.”

“I have to ask, did you have feelings for her?”

Lizzy didn’t know how to respond. She hasn’t even answered that question herself let alone answering it now.

“I-I don’t know,” she stuttered.

“It’s okay if you did. I had feelings for her too but that was a long time ago,” Raina replied.

“You did?!” Lizzy exclaimed.

Raina nodded.

“What happened?” she asked.

“She didn’t feel the same way,” Raina sighed.

“I’m sorry,” Lizzy said quietly.

Raina smiled. “Don’t be. I’m glad that she didn’t. I actually can’t imagine myself with her.”

Lizzy looked down at her hands.

“Hey, I know it’s hard to admit that you have feelings for her but once you admit it to yourself it’ll be easier to move on,” Raina advised.

Lizzy nodded slowly. She hesitated before asking, “Do you know if she had feelings for me?”

“I think she did. She never told me outright but I could tell by her actions that she had feelings for you,” Raina replied.

“Too bad things don’t turn out the way you want, huh?” Lizzy said bitterly.

“I’m sure you’ll see her again one day, but until that day comes you have to move forward with your life,” Raina reiterated.

“I’ll try.”