The Taken Bits

A Journey With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I was sitting in the middle of the two brothers and I was simply staring at them. I don’t know how to explain the look on their faces as one shows annoyance and the other shows nervousness. Yonghwa was the annoyed one. Why is he annoyed? Does he hate his half-brother? Technically their father sent Yonghwa away to an orphanage the moment he was born. But I remember Moonsik ajusshi telling me that his brother often visits him back when he was in the U.S. Does he have another brother? Maybe it was Minhyuk and Yonghwa does hate him. But why Minhyuk still visits him if his brother rejects him? 

“How long have you been here Hyung?” Minhyuk breaks the silence, breaking my busy thoughts along. I stared at Yonghwa who was only ignoring Minhyuk like he was never there. Minhyuk smiled shyly and bowed. “Sorry I didn’t offer any help when you were moving here. I was busy with my work”

Somehow I felt sorry for Minhyuk. I watched as Yonghwa only looked away.

“Where do you work Kang Minhyuk ssi?” I asked trying to ease the tension.

“I work at my…” he seemed hesitant for a moment then carefully turning his gaze towards Yonghwa. “I work with our dad… our own travelling agency”

I nodded then I turned my gaze towards Yonghwa and his face clearly showed anger. His knuckles were already white. “I think we should go now… I’m sorry Kang Minhyuk ssi” I bowed.

Nervously he stood up. “Yeah me too! I forgot that I was hungry! I love spaghetti you see!”

I almost laugh looking at his childish act. Just like Yonghwa… I said to myself.

After exchanging vows and another handshake Minhyuk and us parted ways. Yonghwa of course refused to accept Minhyuk’s handshake.

In the car the air was intense. I could still sense his anger. I drove us to a nearby park thinking that walking around the park could help him calm. Walking around the park calms me most of the time except for that one time I got drunk. But without that exceptional day I wouldn’t have met Yonghwa.

“Hey…” I said as we finally settled on a bench not far from my—his—car. “You want to tell me why you seemed to hate the meeting with your brother?”

He turned away from me and sighed. “He’s not my brother” he suddenly said. What he had said certainly took me by surprise.

“He said so himself that you’re his half-brother. Moonsik ajusshi told me about your brother once too. What is it about him that makes you so angry?” I blatantly asked. This is clearly the side of Jung Yonghwa that I never thought could exist. He didn’t look like a person that is filled with hatred.

“Because he took what’s left of my father’s love from me!”

Right then and there I finally saw the despair in his eyes. His words rang in my thoughts. He cried when he finally realized what he had said to me. Hiding his face in his palms, I could only watch him cry.

“I’m sorry… I didn’t know what you felt and here I am asking why you hate him. I’m sorry…” I said gently rubbing his back trying to calm his cries. There were not too many people at the time but there are still people watching us.

“No matter how much I tried to accept him as my brother the hatred just come to me! I know it

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter