Try-Outs

Daily Songs

 

(No One's POV)

 

“Doojoon hyung? Are you up?

 

Kwon was disturbed with the sudden noise at their door. He checked the time. 5:30 in the morning. “Aish. Who could that be...” Kwon grumbled as he covered himself up with his blanket.

“Doojoon hyung? Kwonnie hyung? Any hyung in there?” The voice and knocking grew louder.

 

“NO ONE IS HERE! STOP KNOCKING!” Kwon snapped with an irritated voice. 

 

“Hyung, why are you saying that no one is there when you obviously replied to me.” The voice said. Kwon was half awake but he finally recognized the voice.

“Jinwoonie?” He said as he sat up straight, rubbing his eyes. “What are you doing?

“Ehey. Kwonnie hyung, are you up? Can you open the door first?” The maknae said.

Kwon lazily stood up from his bed and opened their door. “Hello hyung! Good morning!” Jinwoon greeted him with his eyes smile.

Kwon side stepped to motion Jinwoon inside their dark room. “What's so good in the morning if you disturbed my sleep.” He hissed under hsi breath.

“Hyung, why don't you open the lights here? You have a visitor.” Jinwoon said as he flicked the light switch on. Kwon covered his eyes for a bit because he was blinded by the light.

“Aigoo you kid.” He slapped Jinwoon when he opened his eyes again. “Don't open the light without my permission!” Kwon plopped back on his bed, face buried in his pillow. “What do you want anyway?

Jinwoon sat down on Kwon's chair. “Today is the try-outs day. Remember me and Doojoon hyung will try out for Seulong hyung's team?

“Ohh. That's right. But, how about your classes?” Kwon asked. He knew that Jinwoon would not miss his classes just because of the try-outs. “You're finally going to be a bad boy and skip one school day?

Jinwoon pouted and lightly smacked Kwon's head. “Aigoo Kwonnie hyung. You're really getting old.” He said. “Today is a school holiday, remember?

“School holiday...?” Kwon got up and looked at his calendar which was pasted on the wall. “March 4. Cancelled classes due to-- Hold on I didn't write the reason down.

“Eyy. Who cares about the reason hyung. Just be happy that there's no classes.” Jinwoon said. “Can I wake up Doojoon hyung? We really need to start warming up if we want to get in Seulong hyung's team.

Kwon nodded as he sat back down on his bed. “But I think you and Doojoon will get in anyway since you know Seulong hyung.

“Tsk. Tsk.” Jinwoon raised his pointing finger and waved it at him. “Hyung, even though we know Seulongie hyung, there's a big chance that we may not get in because there are many guys who can play better than us.” He then grabbed a thick book from Kwon's desk and positioned himself in front of Doojoon's bed. “Plus I want to get in fairly. I would feel bad if I got in because Seulong hyung is my room mate.

“Oh. That is a good reason.” Jo Kwon said. He looked at the time. 10 minutes before 6. “Well, good luck waking Doojoon up. And message me what time is your tryouts.

Jinwoon nodded. “Is Changmin hyung going with you later?” Kwon nodded. “Then what about your try-outs?

“Try-outs for what?

Jinwoon has the thick book raised up. “Hyung, don't tell me you wont try for the track team.” He said in a confused voice.

Kwon let out a small laugh. “No. It never crossed my mind to join any sports team.

“Eh? But whyyyyy~?” Jinwoon still has the book raised but he made a cute expression which made Kwon laugh.

Kwon shook his head. “Yah, it's 6 already. Go wake Yoon Doojoon up now so you two can play.” He then turned his back on Jinwoon and pretended to sleep.

 

To be honest Jinwoon-ah, I really want to try out for the track team.  He silently thought.

 

 

I just want a certain someone to push me to do it.

 

(JK's POV)

 

To: Changmin Hyung; 12:37 pm

Hyung, where are you? ^^

 

It was already past 11 when I woke up. Jinwoon reminded me that their try-outs would be scheduled from 1-3 pm, then the track and field team would hold theirs from 3-5. Changmin hyung said he'd meet me here in front of my dorm but he's... 30 minutes late.

“Ah seriously. Am I really going to be a man who's always waiting?” I said as I looked around for any sign of Changmin hyung.

“Kwon-ah!” Someone shouted from my left side. I looked and saw Changmin hyung happily waving at me. He then started running. 

“Aigoo.” Changmin hyung said as he bent down to catch some air. “I'm sorry if I'm late. I bumped into my friends a while ago and they started talking and...” He stopped because he must've noticed that I was just looking at him blankly. “Ah. Le-- Let's just go.” Changmin hyung pulled me and we started to walk towards the field.

“Hyung, who did you run into earlier.. Girls?” I nudged him.

“Eyy.” Changmin hyung bowed his head. He was hiding his embarrassed look. “Well.. yes.

I laughed and patted him on his shoulders. “Omoo~ Our Changmin hyung is a ladies man!

He smacked me in the head. “Yah what do you mean ladies man? I just bumped into them. Aigoo this kid.

“Hyung, no need to be violent.” I said, massaging the spot where he smacked me. I was just teasing you.” Changmin laughed and ruffled my hair.

“Yah Kwon-ah.” He pointed at my very obvious big bag. “What's with the bag? Are you also going to try out?

I shook my head. “No~ I just...” Quick, Jo Kwon think of an excuse. “Cheering materials for Doojoonie and Jinwoonie! Yeah. These are cheering materials for them.” Lame excuse.

Changmin hyung cocked his head sideways. “Cheering materials?” He then started laughing. “Yah, what are we... Their cheerleaders?

“Yes...?” Hyung just shook his head in defeat. 

 

We arrived in the school's field at exactly 1 but they're not yet starting. “Oh. Hyung, I guess they're starting late?” I asked Changmin hyung cautiously. 

“I think so.” He looked around. I think hyung is trying to find a good view of the field. “Yah. Yah. Let's go over there!” He pointed at the bleachers which is just above the station of the players. Before I could even say yes, Changmin hyung started to drag me to the place that he pointed out.

When we got there, hyung sat down first. I guess he got tired from all the dragging that he did. I scanned the field to look for Doojoon and Jinwoon. “Where are those two brats...” Finally, I saw them on the left side of the field playing with the ball. Doojoon was wearing a blue jersey with the number "4" while Jinwoon was wearing a black one with number "2" at the back.

 

“DOOJOON-AH! JINWOONIE!

 

I stood up and waved at them. Good thing they noticed me quickly and waved back or else that would've been embarassing. “DOOJOON-AH! JINWOON-AH! FIGHTING!!” I heard Changmin hyung shout beside me. He was now standing up and waving happily at the two. Doojoon gave us a thumbs up while Jinwoon made a heart sign and threw it at our direction. 

 

“YAH WHAT ABOUT ME?! DON'T I GET A FIGHTING AS WELL?

 

Someone shouted from a few feet below us. We looked down and saw a pouting Im Seulong glaring at our direction. Changmin hyung laughed and silently did a "Fighting!" pose while I just stuck his tongue out at him.

“Aish. This Jo Kwon.” He glared at me more. “You come here and I'll teach you a lesson about manners.

“No way~ You have to come here if you want to teach me some good manners hyung~” I .

“You little--” Seulong hyung was about to go to our seats when one of his team mates tapped his shoulders and whispered something to him. He sighed and nodded. “After this try-outs you will be dead, Jo Kwon-ssi.” Seulong hyung gave me one last glare before doing his duties as Im Seulong seonsu.

Changmin hyung and I sat down as we watched Seulong hyung gather the prospective players. We can't hear what he's saying though, so there was an awkward silence between the two of us. I decided to break the awkward atmosphere between us.

“Hyung, can I ask you something?” I faced him and he nodded.

 

“How do you know if you're in love?

 

“Ah. Oh.. Uhm...” Changmin hyung looked surprised at my sudden question. “Well..

“Ah. Hyung, just ignore the question.” I said. “Just forget that I asked that.” I smiled. To be honest, I really want to ask someone that question ever since... you know, the date with Ga In noona. I tried to tell Doojoon and Jinwoon about this but they're pre-occupied with some stuff.

Like Jinwoon. I know he has some smart points about this but he's too busy studying lessons, playing his guitar and trying to compose songs. As for Doojoon... well he's busy looking for girls. Can you believe that he already has 20 numbers of girls in his phone? I heard some say that he looks like a guy who would be a good boyfriend that's why girls give their number to him.

So for short, I have no one to talk to but Changmin hyung. I would tell Seulong hyung but he'll pester me more. He'll ask who's the girl and other stuff. So I decided to ask Changmin hyung. But it seems like he's flustered with my question...

“Well... If you always think about the person, then that could count as a sign that you're in love.” He suddenly said.

I looked at him with a shocked expression. “Eh? Really?” He nodded. 

“Also... When you see her, your heart starts beating. You want to do everything that she asks you.” Hyung was now starting to enumerate reasons, which surprised me. “You get jealous all of a sudden whenever you see her with someone else. You want to make her smile. You get sad when she's sad. Yah.” He stopped to tap me in the shoulders. “If you just see her name on your phone or something then your heart starts to beat fast, then you're in love.

If you just see her name on your phone or something then your heart starts to beat fast... “Hyung, is the last part true?

“What part?” Changmin hyung said as he leaned back at his seat.

“The part where I see her name thing...?

“Ohh. It could be.” He said nonchalantly. We then heard a whistle blow from the field. “Yah. It's starting already.” Hyung stood up and started to cheer for the two. “WOHOO! LET'S GO JINWOON! DOOJOON!

 

Meanwhile, I was frozen in my seat... still thinking about Changmin hyung's reasons.

 

Am I really in love with Ga In noona now?

 

(JK's POV)

 

“Nice pass Jinwoon!” 

 

Changmin hyung clapped when Jinwoon swiftly passed the ball to his team mate. The process of the try-outs was that the prospective players were divided into teams and they will play one round. Seulong hyung and his current team mates will evaluate their playing skills and team work. They will pass if the school's team liked their performance on the field.

I buried Changmin hyung's words in the back of my mind and decided to concentrate on the game. “Omo. Hyung! Look, Doojoon is about to shoot the ball!” I pointed at Doojoon. Changmin hyung and I cheered as he kicked the ball. 

“WAAHH!! YOON DOOJOON IS THE BEST!!” I shouted at the top of my lungs while clapping.

Doojoon ran around the field with arms wide open like an airplane. His team mates were clapping for him, and so was Jinwoon. We can also see Seulong hyung doing a not so obvious cheer for Doojoon's goal. He can't cheer loudly since his team mates might accuse him of being unfair.

 

“Ohh. So his full name is Yoon Doojoon.” Someone said from our backs.

 

Changmin hyung was the first one to face the person who said Doojoon's name. He made a gasp and laughed. “Omo. Yah, Narsha. Don't tell me you're here because you're going to scout for a new bait.” Hyung must be friends with the one who's sitting behind us.

“No I'm not!” The girl replied to Changmin. “I was just repeating the name for Ga In-ah because she said he looks cute.

My eyes widened when I heard Ga In noona's name. I quickly turned around to confirm if she was really sitting behind us.

 

“Noona?

“Kwon-ah?

 

The game ended with Doojoon's team winning by a point. Well, if you're curious about the score.. it's 2-1. Jinwoon was on the losing team but he looked okay in my opinion. Seulong hyung said that it really doesn't matter who wins or loses, what matters is how you play and how you cooperate.

“So.” The girl that Changmin hyung knows, named Narsha sat beside me. “You're Jo Kwon, the one who played at the restaurant a week ago?” I nodded. “And Ga In's childhood friend?” Again, I nodded. “Mm. You're cute.” She laughed.

“Ah.” I was surprised at her sudden remark. “Thank you.” I said shyly and bowed.

Ga In noona suddenly squeezed herself in between us. “Unnie, don't even think about hitting on Kwonnie.” She threatened. 

“Eh? Why?” Narsha pouted at Ga In noona. Suddenly, Ga In noona wrapped her arms around me and stuck her tongue out to her.

 

“Because he's mine.

 

My heart started to beat fast and I can feel my cheeks getting hot. I know that Ga In noona is just joking but I still feel weird. No, I feel nervous. Narsha noona looked at her, then shifted her gaze at me. She smiled when she saw me. “Alright. Whatever you say, Son Ga In.” She said, still smiling. I could sense that something is weird with her smile though. “Aren't you going to introduce him to us?

Ga In noona let me go and nodded at her friend. “Oh right.” Then, she faced me and gave me a weird expression. “Yah fart face. Why are your ears red? Your face is also red. And are you sweating?

“Huh?” I placed my hand on my neck and felt sweat trickling down. “No. I just feel hot.” I smiled.

Noona looked at me weirdly, but continued to introduce her friends. “This is Park Hyojin. But you can call her Narsha.” I bowed when Narsha noona waved at me. She was still giving me this weird smile though. Next, noona pointed at the girl that Changmin hyung is talking to. I remember her because she looks like a raccoon. “The one that Changmin oppa is talking to is Kim Hyojin. But call her Jea. That's how we differentiate these two Hyojin unnies.

Oh. So there are two Hyojin noonas. “Jea unnie!” Ga In noona shouted. “This is Jo Kwon. The one that I was telling you about last time.” She pointed at me. The girl named Jea happily waved at me then continued her conversation with Changmin hyung.

“And last but not the least, the one who's listening to their conversation is Jo Mihye. But we call her Miryo unnie.” Noona pointed at the girl who's beside Changmin hyung. “Unnie! Say hi to Jo Kwon!” Noona shouted again. Miryo smiled and waved at me. “Hello! Nice to meet you!” I bowed and waved back at her.

Ga In noona sighed. “Ah. I was supposed to introduce you to him during the party but then this event came up.” She then leaned in my shoulders, making me freeze up a bit.

“Eyy why would you wait up until the party to introduce Kwon to us?” Narsha noona nudged Ga In.

The three people who were talking earlier joined us. “Omooo~ It's finally nice to meet you, Jo Kwon!” Jea noona shook me. “You know what, we've been bugging Ga In here to introduce you to us but she wouldn't.” She pouted. “Good thing we went in this try outs, right Miryo?

“Mm. I was even starting to think that you don't exist because Ga In here kept on making some lame excuses.” Miryo noona said.

Noona was making excuses? “Ga In noona did that?”I looked at them, confused. They all nodded, even Changmin hyung which made them laugh.

“Oh. Seulong-ah. What are you doing here?” Changmin hyung suddenly said. We turned around and saw a very haggard looking Seulong, who was panting heavily. “You look like you've been beaten up or something.

Seulong hyung shook his head. “No.” He said. “My head just hurts from evaluating and stuff. I'll probably release the list tomorrow or next week.” Seulong hyung then pointed at me. “Kwon-ah. What are you still doing here? Try-outs for the track team will start in 10 minutes.

“Eh? But I'm not trying out hyung.

I suddenly felt Ga In noona's head off my shoulders. She started to slap my back. “Yah Jo Kwon. Get your lazy up.” She said. “You're trying out.

“EH?!” My eyes got big. “Noona I'm not trying out~

 

“AH GET UP! You're trying out.” She started to pull me so that I would stand up.

“Ah noonaaaaaa~~~~” I pleaded her with a cute voice. “I don't wanna~~

 

“Yah. You two look like a couple in my opinion.” Jea noona suddenly commented. But I saw Seulong hyung shook his head.

“Couple. Tch. Noona, Ga In looks like a mother who's nagging her son to go and be active.” All of them laughed except for the two of us.

I saw Ga In noona glare at Seulong hyung before going back to me. “Kwon-ah.” She said softly. “Just try out. Do it for noona?” She then flashed me her smile.

 

Jo Kwon, don't fall for it... Don't fall--- I sighed and nodded.

 

A few minutes later, I was standing at the field, stretching while feeling bored. The team captain was kind enough to let me try even though I wasn't on the list. But I also have this feeling that Seulong hyung asked the captain if I can have a go at this try-outs.

“Okay. First up.” The team captain was about to call the first two competitors. The track team is a bit strict when it comes to the try-outs. Two individuals would face-off and the loser would not get on the team. “We have... Cha Sunwoo and...” He looked at my direction. “Jo Kwon.

I raised my hand and bowed to the captain. “Sorry you had to go first. Seulong just told me about you the last minute.” He whispered then patted my shoulder. “I'm looking forward for your performance.

Cha Sunwoo-ssi and I walked to the starting point. I can hear my friends cheering at the sides.

 

“Wohoo! Let's go Jo Kwon!” Changmin hyung screamed.

“Yah Kwon-ah show them what you're made of!” Seulong hyung clapped and howled. Seriously, that hyung is a funny person.

The three noonas that I've met shouted “Jo Kwon! Jo Kwon! Jo Kwon!” altogether. I found it amusing and cute at the same time.

 

When we got to the starting line, I extended my hand out to Cha Sunwoo. He smiled and shook it. We both bent down and got ready as the team captain blew the first whistle. Before he could take out the air gun and give to go signal, I turned my head to the sides to look at the person who pushed me to do this.

 

“KWON-AH! FIGHTIIIIINGGGG!!” Ga In noona shouted with a smile.

 

As usual, my heart started beating above it's normal function. But this time, I don't feel confused. I feel... happy.

 

I shifted my attention to the team captain. He was raising the airgun up. “Okay. Let's do this.” He raised the airgun higher. “One. Two.

BANG!!

 

 

As soon as the gun was fired, I concluded that I really am starting to fall for Ga In noona.

 

a/n:

Yow~ Hihihi. Another long one for you guys. :3 There's a part 2 of this... which is next chapter. So Kwonnie is now accepting the fact that he's falling for his noona.. Interesting. LOL. I was going to write the reason why Jea, Narsha and Miryo are not going by their real names but I decided to include that in part 2. :D

Have you guys seen the latest 2AM episode video? The one where they did the birthday party for Changmin, Seulong and Jinwoon? There's just no english subs though. But they just basically played games and Kwonnie was the MC since he's not a May baby. Lol. Oh and Jinwoon and Seulong played the pepero game! HAHA THAT PART IS SO FUNNY.

Old, new and silent readers: Thank you so muchieeee :3

Till the next update~ :D