What are Friends For

Daily Songs

 

“Hyung! The professor is calling for your attention.

 

Jinwoon urgently whispered and nudged me in the arm. I looked at him, then looked in front and sure enough, our English professor was glaring at me. He must've noticed me spacing out. “Y- Yes sir?” I stood up and quickly grabbed the textbook, just in case he asks me to read something.

“Repeat the last sentence that I've just said.” He raised an eyebrow at me.

I bet I looked helpless as I scratched my head and bowed it down. “I knew it.” He sounded happy. Weird. “Mr. Jo Kwon, I know you are one of the persons on top of the class but please know how to respect someone who is lecturing. Get your things and step out of the room.

“E- Excuse me?” My eyes went wide. “You're kicking me out of class, sir?

“Don't worry. It's just for today.” The professor pointed at the door. “The next time you go to this class, please be in your normal state of mind.

I opened my mouth to argue with the professor but Changmin hyung grabbed my hand. “Don't. Just go.” I let out a long sigh, grabbed my things and bowed to the professor before leaving the room.

 

As I walk out of the building I can't help but think that it's been five days since I last saw Ga In noona.

 

And that it's been five days since she told me about her secret.

 

I have to admit, knowing that Ga In noona likes Doojoon hurts. It does. I don't know if she started to like him when she saw him at the try-outs or when they started talking at the party last week. All I know is that it hurts. Everything hurts.

That's why I've been forcing myself to space out a lot. If I don't, then my tears would come out and flow endlessly. I don't want my friends or strangers to see me crying. That would just make me feel bad and cry more. Running and playing the piano alone also helps me distract myself from crying. And to avoid seeing Doojoon awake.

I've been running a lot these past five days because the university has an upcoming match and Choongjae sunbaenim wants us to prepare ourselves mentally and physically. Running helps me clear my mind. It makes me feel like a little child again.

When I'm not running, I find myself going to one of the music room in the school that has a piano. There, I try to compose songs even though I'm not yet taking composition classes. When I'm out of materials to write, I just play random melodies. I guess you can say that if running makes me feel like a child again, then playing the piano somewhat relieves me from the pain that I'm feeling right now.

Since I was kicked out of class, I have 4 hours to kill until my first minor private lecture. My feet started to drag me to the field. I hope no one was using it. Just then, my phone beeped.

 

From: Doojoon; 9:45 am

Kwonnie! Are you doing anything right now? Eat with me! ㅠㅠ I haven't talked to you for days. Heck I haven't seen you properly for the last five days... I miss you~ ㅠㅠ

 

A small sigh went out. Of course, there was a small part of me that misses Doojoon too. He is, after all the first friend that I made since I first set foot here. But I needed time. I just need to be alone right now.

I guess it wouldn't hurt if I talk to him through text though.

 

To: Doojoon; 9:48 am

Hey Doojoon. Sorry. I've been busy with the team. You know we have an upcoming match. Choongjae sunbaenim is really pushing us to go and train. I miss hanging out with you too~

From: Doojoon; 9:50 am

Screw Choongjae sunbae! I can handle him. ㅋ Just ditch one practice hour! Besides, I have something to tell you.

 

Something to tell me? What could that possibly be?

 

To: Doojoon; 9:55 am

What do you want to tell me? Tell it now.

From: Doojoon; 9:59 am

I think it's better if I tell it in person. ^^ You of all people will understand this. Just... I'll make sure to see you today. You can't hide from me forever, Jo Kwon! ㅎㅎ

But seriously, Kwonnie. I need your help. Your holy enlightenment, perhaps? Please?

 

He sounded desperate. By the look of it, he was pleading for my help.

 

To: Doojoon; 10:04 am

Alright. I'll see what I can do. No promises though.

From: Doojoon; 10:06 am

Assa! Let me know what time you're free. I'll clear my schedule today just for you... Unless Seulong hyung decides to throw us into another hell of practice.

Thanks, Kwonnie! ^^

 

I closed my phone and hastily placed it back on my pocket. “Where was I heading to again?” I looked around and scratched my head.

 

 

Ah. Yoon Doojoon, you're a big distraction.

 

From: Seulongie hyung; 11:00 am

Yah. Where are you?

 

I was quietly drinking my second cup of tea when I received Seulong hyung's message. “This is strange though. Hyung has another class after the English one, and I remember he told me a while ago that he left his phone at the dorm.” I became suspicious. “Why would he text me if he has no time to get his phone from the dorm...

Nevertheless, I replied to his message.

 

To: Seulongie hyung; 11:05 am

Cafe near the English building. Why hyung?

From: Seulongie hyung; 11:06 am

Stay there. Don't go away.

 

“Weird. He never replies this fast.” I stared at his message for two minutes. “And he sounds so urgent. What does he want.

 

“JO KWON!!

 

A strong flick in my exposed forehead was delivered as soon as I turned around. “Ow!” The middle of my forhead throbbed and I massaged it with my eyes closed. “What the hell, Ga In noona?!

“What do you mean what the hell?” Her chair screeched a little bit when she pulled it out. “I should be asking you that. 

My eyes were still closed but the pain from her flick was now gone. I regretted putting my hair up today. “Why~? What did I do~?” I sounded irritated.

 

“Why were you kicked out of class? And why are you avoiding me?

 

My eyes automatically opened when she uttered out the last question. How... And Why... But I can tell from her expression that she's worried and concerned.

“Answer me, fart face.” She said as she leaned in and pressed her index finger in between my eyes.

I shook my head in irritation and she laughed. “Ah noona! Stop doing that!

“Doing what?” Ga In noona smiled as she grabbed my drink and casually sipped it. “Come on, why were you kicked out of your English class?

“Well..” I avoided noona's gaze. “Just... the professor just caught me sleeping.

“Sleeping?” She sounded surprised. “But it's not your habit to sleep in class though.” That is true. I never sleep in my classes. Ga In noona raised her eyebrow. She must've noticed that I was lying. Ah, I'm so dead. “Kwon-ah. Stop lying. You know you can't lie when you're talking to me.

“Well, how did noona know that I was kicked out of class? And that I was hanging out here?” I shot back at her. “It wasn't you who sent” My mouth fell open when Ga In noona suddenly took out Seulong hyung's phone from her bag. “How- How did you get that?!

“Magic.” She winked. Seriously, this woman never fails to amaze me with her tricks. “I actually feel sorry for Im Surong though.” Noona pouted as she played with Seulong hyung's phone.

“Aigoo. You made Seulong hyung late for his next class.” I shook my head in disbelief. “Noona you're a bad woman!

Another flick was delivered to my forehead. “What do you mean bad woman.” And now a smack was delivered on top of my head. “Stop saying nonsense things and answer me truthfully.

“Seriously noona. I think you're going to be the death of me.” My forehead and the top of my head were both throbbing in pain. I guess I better answer her other question right. I don't want to be hit on the head again. “What do you want to know anyway?

“I told you. Why are you avoiding me?

Ah. I thought she was going to push on about me being kicked ut of the class but I was wrong. “Noona what are you saying?” My voice sounded light. “I'm not avoiding you.

“Really?” I nodded. “Seriously, really?” Again, I nodded. “Do you swear on your life that you are not lying right now?” I hesitated for a moment, but I made myself nod at her again. “What's your reason now, Jo Kwon?

“Ey. Noona you forgot didn't you?” I was trying to make the conversation light... for my sake. “I have an upcoming match. The team captain wants me to train until I can't run anymore.” 

Ga In noona was silent for a while. I guess she was thinking if I told her about my run. “I see.” She leaned in and hit me in the face again.“You forgot to tell me about that.

“Noona!” My voice raised. “Stop hitting me!

She was laughing. “Why~ It's fun to hit Kwonnie.” And she hit me again, but this time it was just a light brush in the forehead. When's the match?

“Next friday.

 

She silently nodded. “Ah. Kwon-ah. Do you remember what I told you at the party?

 

I was hoping that she wouldn't bring that up. To be honest, I don't know if I should lie that she didn't say anything to me at the party or to tell her the truth. She had her best poker face on... I can't tell if she's anticipating my response or not.

“No.” I flatly replied. Let's see how would she react.

The poker face of hers didn't go away.“Are you sure? You don't recall anything at all?” Like a robot, I nodded. “I see. In that case, I guess I should tell this to you. I need your help anyway.” She sighed deeply, then looked at me seriously. “Ah seriously. How do I say this. I'm embarrassed.” Ga In noona quickly looked away and giggled like a little girl.

Hearing her giggle made my heart hurt, but I kept my expression. I think I know what she wants to say. “Just say it noona.” My eyes were dead serious. I started to prepare myself with what she's about to tell me the second time around.

“O- Okay.” Ga In noona looked at me with a weird expression. “You're acting kind of weird but okay.

 

“I like your friend. Doojoon.

 

Hearing it the second time wasn't so bad since I prepared myself for it. I kept a calm expression and nodded silently. “Doojoon... is a nice guy.” I forced myself to speak to make it look like everything is fine. But I meant what I said about him being a nice guy. 

“Now what can I do? I mean, you needed my help right?

 

 

Noona smiled at me. I had no idea that what she was about to tell me would make me skip my classes for the first time in my life.

 

From: Doojoon; 10:50 pm

Kwonaaaaaa! Where are you? ㅠㅠ

To: Doojoon; 10:54 pm

Field.

From: Doojoon; 10:58 pm

Are you alone? ^^ Practicing? Ah what the heck. I'm coming over so don't move! I'll be there in 10 minutes!

 

I placed my phone down and resumed staring into the night sky. I've been here since 1 in the afternoon, watching the students do their physical class or some random strangers run and kids play. Around 4 or 5, I started to run to distract myself.

By 6, my phone was flooded with messages and missed calls from Changmin hyung, Seulong hyung and Jinwoonie. Their messages were almost the same... wondering where I am, why I won't answer them or pick the phone up and if there was something wrong.

I want to tell them what happened earlier, but I got too scared. I don't know why I suddenly got scared. Maybe because they would suddenly go to Doojoon's side and help him out rather than stay by my side and weep with me. Or... maybe I just need time. Ah, I don't know. I might tell them about my sad day after I get this thing over with.

I was actually waiting for Doojoon to contact me that's why I quickly replied to his message. I needed to talk to him.

 

“KWON-AH!

 

As always, Doojoon was on-time. “Yah, Yoon Doojoon!” I shouted back. He smiled and ran to my spot and pulled me for a hug.

“Kwon-ah~ I seriously miss you.” He said in his deep but chirpy voice. “You look like you lost weight though.” He said when he pulled back from the hug. Suddenly, Doojoon lightly slapped my right cheek. “Yah. I can feel your bones. Are you skipping meals?

I glared at him and smacked his head. “Yah. Stop hitting me. Ah seriously. What's up with people today.” I sat back down and started to murmur to myself. “Why do they keep hitting me. Do I look like a punching bag...

“You do know that I can still hear you and your murmuring.” A now amused Doojoon sat beside me. “Poor Kwonnie.” He started to pat my head. “Tell me who hit you. I'll make them suffer for you.

I shook my head slowly to make him stop patting my head. “Forget it. Don't mind my murmurs.” I said, showing a small smilefor re-assurance. 

What do you want to talk about anyway?” I wasted no time and asked him straight to the point. He must've been surprised with my sudden question because he suddenly faked a cough before saying something.

I noticed that he avoided my gaze and looked directly at the field. “I like someone.” He bowed his head in embarrassment.

My eyes went wide and I started to hit Doojoon on his shoulders. “YAH. REALLY?!” I said as my voice went up.

“Ah stop it!” Doojoon shook me off. “But, yes. I do. Well, I think I do like her.

“Think? You're still unsure?” A small laugh went out. “What kind of thinking is that. Yah, who is the mystery girl, Yoon Doojoon?” I nudged him in the elbow.

He mumbled something in a soft voice. “Who?

 

“Ga- Ga In noona.

 

My heart sank. Kwon-ah. It's mutual.  A voice inside my head said. Good thing he was still looking at the field because I can feel my eyes getting all watery. While discreetly wiping my eyes with my right hand, I lightly smacked his head with my left. “What. That noona? Seriously?” I tried to make my voice as normal as possible.

“Why~?” Doojoon suddenly turned to face me, his lips pouting. “What's not to like about Ga In noona?

“Ah... Nothing.” My voice got smaller.

Doojoon looked at me and started to laugh. “I'm sorry. I forgot that you've known her half of your life.” He smiled. “Do I seem like a fool? I mean for liking someone that I barely know?

“You mean the love at first sight thing?” He nodded. “I don't think so. To tell you the truth, I believe in those things.” I laughed. “But I don't think it works on me.” I turned my gaze to the empty and dark field.

I heard Doojoon's light laugh. “Why~? You're a good guy though.” He suddenly tapped my shoulder. “Yah, can I ask you something? A favor? No, Jo Kwon's almighty hand?

“What?” The last thing that he said was amusing, I couldn't help but laugh. “What do you want, hyungnim?

 

“Can you help me score a date with Ga In noona?

 

The atmosphere felt familiar, as if I was thrown back in time...

I tried to put my best assuring smile and said the same thing that I said a few hours ago.

 

 

“Sure. I'll help Doojoon out.

 

Flashback: Cafe near the English building, 12:10 pm

“Can you help me out with Doojoon? I mean, can you help me get to know him more?

 

Her smile was really wide and her eyes were shining when she asked for my favor. I want to say no. My insides churned and I wanted to scream. I wanted to cry. My heart is telling me to say no to Ga In noona's plea. They feel like it's wrong to help her out.

But if I say no to her, I wouldn't be able to see that genuine smile of hers for a long time.

My lips curled into what I think is a smile and said the line that I would truly regret uttering out for the rest of my life.

 

“Sure. I'll help noona out.

End of flashback

 

Their reactions were almost the same.. Doojoon smiled widely, just like Ga In noona did a few hours ago.

 

 

I, on the other hand, died inside. 

 

a/n:

Hey hey! LOL. As usual, school is keeping me a bit busy so another late (?) update.

Chapter recap! lol. This must really hurt for Kwonnie because the feelings are mutual. Plus he said yes when they both asked for his help. Kwonnie as the love bridge of Doojoon and Ga-in. :( Now I feel bad for making Kwonnie sad in this fic. lol.

I have to admit, not my best chapter... in my opinion. I want to write more but I can't seem to find the right words. lol. Next chapter... The three Adam supporters will be back. :D I wonder what's their reaction when Kwonnie rants his feelings out to them. lol

Hmm.. I noticed that the flow of the story is a bit slow compared to my first fic. Weird. lol. But to be honest, my goal is to make this story a bit longer than my first one so forgive me if the progress is slow. //bows deeply//

New and old subs and silent readers: Thank you. :3

Till the next update! :D