Introductions

Daily Songs

 

|| Sorry no song ||

 

Suwon, Gyeonggi-do, South Korea

 

February 10 at Jo Kwon’s house

 

KNOCK.

KNOCK.

 

“Kwon-ah. Please wake up and get the door.”

 

 

I heard my mother shout from the kitchen. How did she know that I was asleep? I have no idea.  Of course, I have no choice but to follow her because I don’t want to get kicked out of the house… at least not yet.

Lazily standing up from my bed with a flowery comforter, which I stress out that my mother arranged, I hastily went down from my room and half-ran towards the front door to open it.

It was weird because when I opened the door, no one was standing outside. But there was a letter on the door mat. I picked it up without looking what it was and threw it on the couch.

“Who was that, Kwonnie?” My mom emerged from the kitchen looking exhausted. She must be cooking… Lunch? Damn, I have no idea what time it was. I guess I must be sleeping soundly.

“Uhm, the mailman I guess.” I approached the couch and picked up the letter to wave it at my mom’s face. “This was left at our front door.”

Mom sat down at the couch and sighed. “Well what are you waiting for? Open it!” She started to fan herself with her right hand.

 

“Mom, I can turn on the aircon if you like.” I smiled at her. “And why would I open this? I don’t even know if this is ours or— Oh.”

 

“Why? What’s the matter Kwonnie?” I heard my mom utter out from the couch.

I think my jaw was slightly open when I saw the name of the sender and the receiver. “No way. Is this a joke…” I ran to my mother and offered my cheek to her. “Mom, do me a favor and pinch me… No. Slap me in the face.”

I could tell my mom was surprised with my words. She just looked at me with a skeptical and weird expression but I urged her to really slap me in the face. “Ah mom just do it!”

But instead of slapping my face, she smacked my head so hard that it hurts. I was not dreaming. “Mom, you have no idea how that helped me clear my mind.”

I showed her the envelope and she gasped.

 

 

KYUNG HEE UNIVERISTY

1, Hoegi-dong, Dongdaemun-gu, Seoul, South Korea

+82 2-961-0114

 

 

JO KWON

13, Gyeonggi-do, Suwon, South Korea

+82 3-125-8940

 

 

 

 

I can feel my mother ‘s anxious eyes as I struggled with the envelope. My hands were shaking really bad. Half of me wanted to just let my mom open the letter and relay the results to me, and half of me just wanted to go inside a hole and hide there forever. It’s like this envelope has all the answers to my problems.

 

I finally tear the darn thing after shaking for 3 minutes. I quickly took out the paper and read it silently.

 

 

 

KYUNG HEE UNIVERSITY

1, Hoegi-dong, Dongdaemun-gu, Seoul, South Korea

+82 2-961-0114

 

Mr. Jo Kwon,

 

Thank you for choosing Kyung Hee University. We are happy to inform you that you have passed the admission exams. You are now officially a Kyung Hee University student!

You have also passed the certain requirements of your chosen major, Post Modern Music. The orientation for new students will start on February 21. Please be at the auditorium inside the building of the College of Art & Design by 9:00 am.

 

Attached to this letter is your designated student number, map of the campus and guidelines for new students. If you wish to acquire the dorms inside and outside of campus, please fill out the form attached to the letter and send it back as soon as possible so we can send your assigned room. Another personal sheet data is attached to the letter so please fill it our neatly. The personal sheet data would be submitted to the department head on the day of your orientation.

 

We hope to see you soon and congratulations once again!

 

 

Office of the Admissions

Kyung Hee University

1, Hoegi-dong, Dongdaemun-gu, Seoul, South Korea

+82 2-961-0114 local 2345

 

 

“Kwon-ah? What happened? What did it say?” My mom asked me when she noticed that I fell silent for 5 minutes.

Slowly turning my head up, I looked at her with a surprised face and said…

 

 

“I got accepted into Kyung Hee University.”

 

 

 

February 20 at a bus stop in Suwon; 9:00 am

My mom and I were waiting for the bus that would take me to Seoul.  Dad couldn’t come because he was working. I understand. He said his goodbye to me last night by treating us on a fancy restaurant. Dad also gave me a new ring which is weird since he’s never given me anything that is wearable. I remember him telling me last night…

 

“Kwon-ah. If you get lost in Seoul and some police will call us and tell us to pick you up at their station, then I will charge you for the gas fee. Got it?”

“Ey Dad. Why would I get lost in Seoul. I’m Jo Kwon. Repeat after me dad, Jo. Kwon. Jo Kwon. ”

 

My dad just laughed my comment off.  He’s a really serious guy but he can be fun sometimes.  But my mom is the total opposite of him. She’s a really quirky and hyper person. I think I got that from her.

I decided to go to the campus a day before the orientation to fix my things at the dorm. Yes, I got myself a dorm. I would’ve preferred an apartment but I think apartments nowadays are expensive. We’ll see. I still don’t know if I have a roommate or not. Oops, I mean I still don’t know if I have a roommate or roommates. 

“Kwon-ah. Did you bring everything? Are your things complete?” Mom was doing her last check-up on me for the 5th time. I can feel that she’s nervous on me going to Seoul alone. I’m betting that she will bring that topic up a little later.

“Yes. Everything is all here.” I raised my luggage which was so heavy. I guess I packed too many clothes. “You even did half the packing, remember?”

Mom smiled. I am surely going to miss that smile of hers. And her constant nagging. And her great cooking style… for short her food.

“I am going to miss you a lot, my dear Kwonnie.” My mom sighed as she rubbed my right arm. “You should remember to always take care of yourself there. And call us when you have the chance.” I silently nodded in response.

 

 

“Oh, I suddenly remembered. Again.” I heard her speak. “Isn’t she attending Kyung Hee University as well?”

 

 

To be honest, I hoped that my mom would not ask that question. Ever since I got my acceptance letter last week, I avoided the subject of her. When she or my dad would ask if she was at Kyung Hee University, I would quickly change the topic. Of course, I knew they were wondering why I’m being weird but I can’t help it.

If I answer their question, then another question would follow. Something like “How is she?” or “Is she doing well?” or “Why isn’t she visiting us?”

And my most hated what-if question: “Are you two still talking with each other?”

 

Should I tell you what my answers would be? Hihi. Maybe some other time. Well maybe just the last question since I can surely answer that. Honestly, no. We are not talking with each other. It’s been two years since we last talked and hung out… like talked seriously. Well, she showed up at my graduation and… oh maybe I can tell that story some other time.

 

I just smiled at my mom. Or at least I thought I smiled. I think an awkward smile formed in my face that’s why my mom looked at me with a weird expression. “Kwon-ah, what’s with that face? Are you going to cry?”

“Ah mom~ I’m not going to cry.” I pouted at her.  “You know that there are only three occasions that a man is obliged to cry.”

My mom let out a small laugh. “And what are those reasons?”

“One, when a man is born. Two, when a man would serve his duty as a soldier for the country. Three…” Crap, I forgot what the third reason was.  Now that I think about it, she was the one who gave me these ridiculous occasions.

I looked at the road, trying to think of what was the third occasion when I saw a familiar blue bus coming towards us. “Omo. Mom the bus is coming!”

My mom was surprised with my loud and high voice. A few seconds later, the blue bus was in front of us and the driver opened the door. Passengers were now getting in slowly. 

I turned to her direction to face her with a small smile on my face. “Kwon-ah.” She held my shoulders tightly.

“You, take care of yourself there okay? Don’t get in trouble.” Mom then hugged me tightly. I hugged her back while I was fighting my tears. “Always remember to eat. And don’t be too Kkap for goodness sake.” I laughed at her last comment.

She let me go and gave me a final shake. “Go on. The bus might leave in a few minutes.”

I gave her a warm smile as I hastily grabbed my things. I was about to step inside when she suddenly called me again.

 

“Kwon-ah.”

 

Being the good son that I am, I turned around and looked at her with a puzzled expression. “What mom? Are there more reminders that you need to relay to me?”

“No. Just.” I can feel that she was hesitating to continue speaking.

 

 

“If you see her, talk to her. I know you miss her so much. Don’t try and run away from her when you see her, okay?”

 

 

I tried to hide my weary expression from her when she said those words. I didn’t know what to say to her, so I just nodded.

Huffing heavily, I heaved my stuff onto the bus and sat at the far back. I purposely sat at the window seat to wave goodbye to my mom. When the last passenger was seated down, the door closed and the bus started moving. “Bye mom. I love you.” I mouthed those words to her and waved crazily. She just smiled at her and gave the thumbs up as a sign that she understood what I said.

 

The bus then started to speed up and a few moments later, my mom was just a tiny dot… And then that tiny dot disappeared. I was now leaving Suwon.

 

 

Honestly, I never thought that I would get into Kyung Hee University. But I had to. I have no choice. I can’t break the promise that I made two years ago.

 

 

Two years ago at Jo Kwon’s High School grounds; 10:00 pm

“Waah. Noona, you finally graduated!” I clapped non-stop while she smacked me in the head. “Aigoo. Still a violent woman. Can’t you at least be gentle this day because you are now a college student? And on top of that, a Kyung Hee University student”

I can feel her giving me the death glare. “Yah. I hit you in the head because of your words.” She said with her hoarse but sweet voice.

“What do you mean finally? Finally sounds off. You’re making me look like I repeated a year or something.”

“Yah, but didn’t you repeat one?” I stuck my tongue out at her like a little kid. Of course, I would get hit again in the head because of my actions.

“ N—No! I passed every subject you fart face.” And another strike from her.

My head was now hurting because of her continuous smacks. “Yah fart face.” She spoke again, but this time in a serious voice.

“What?”

“Can you keep a promise?”

I looked at her with a confused expression but nodded. “Of course I can noona. Do you even recall me breaking a promise that I made with you? I have a clean record you know.”

“Oh yeah.” She giggled then sighed. “Ah I don’t know. Maybe this promise is too big for you to handle. Or the universe may interfere with this one.”

“Ah just tell it noona. I can handle any promise that you ask of me.”

She let out a small smile.

“Can you promise me that you’ll get into Kyung Hee University when you graduate?”

 

I fell silent. Wow that is a big promise. A huge one since no one knows if I can get in that prestigious university. I secretly looked at her expression. She seemed like she’s expecting me to say yes even though we don’t know what would be the result of this promise.

 

Maybe I can do this…? “Ey noona. Of course I can.” I lightly tapped her shoulder in assurance.

 

Her expression brightened when I told her that I can. She grabbed my hand and did a pinky promise with me. “Really? You’re going to try and get to that school no matter what happens?”

“Tch. Yah noona, I can get in that school with my eyes closed. Remember, I’m Jo Kwon.”

 

 

I smiled at the memory of me making that promise. Who would’ve thought that I would get into that university? But then my mood suddenly went down when a certain thought entered my head.

 

Yah Jo Kwon. Are you even sure that she remembers that promise? She didn’t even contact you your whole senior life.

 

True. Well, she went to my graduation to congratulate me… Oops. I said I would tell this story later. Now that I think about it, she didn't even ask if I got in Kyun Hee this year....

 

The bus is now at the highway… I think. I don’t know. I got lost with my thoughts so I don’t really know if I’m still in Suwon or if I’m in Seoul.

Oh that’s right. I haven’t made a proper introduction. Silly me.

 

 

Hello everyone! My name is Jo Kwon. I am a Korean famous – well a soon to be Korean famous singer. Hihihi. I guess you could say that this is my diary…? Something like that. And today, I am going to Kyung Hee University to start my life as a college student.

 

 

And to find the person who holds a special place in my heart.

 

 

a/n:

Hello~ I don't even know how long it has been since my last fic. But I'm guessing it hasn't been a long time. LOL. I had the urge to write this down since I might forget it.

I guess you all know who is the person that Kwonnie is talking about. No surprise there. LOL.

Some of the information that I wrote there is true. Like the fact that Kwon went into Kyung Hee University and took up Post Modern Music. Not really sure if he's a graduate already... Oh wait I think he is. Yeah, he probably is a graduate now.

So this is like an AU fic...? Like this is totally another universe so I made "her" a year older than Kwonnie. If you're going to ask me about their age, I would probably say that Kwonnie is 19 and her is 20. Ohooo they're young. And LOL at the Korean famous part. Hihi. Hong Kong memories.

I told you guys that the other characters will come by so I didn't list them down. I hope you could anticipate the appearances of the other characters. ^^

It's great to be back I guess. LOL. I'm out~ :3