In A Heart Beat

Daily Songs

 

Today is the day. The day the university boy Jo Kwon debuts as an athlete.

 

Well not exactly. I was the youngest national track and field champion but I'm not sure if people remember that. People usually forget things when it comes to sports. Only sports junkies remember things. Example of a sports junkie: Yoon Doojoon.

No Kwon, you will not think of Doojoon today. You have to focus. The voice in my head scolded me for the umpteenth time. He's right though. I really need to concentrate. I can't lose on my debut day.

 

I wonder if Ga In noona remembered my match today though.

 

The match was scheduled to be at around 10, so I had to be early at the field. It was alreeady 7:30, and Doojoon was nowhere to be found... which is weird because the whole school cancelled the classes for the day so they can support the school's track and field team.

Cancelled classes means sleeping day for Yoon Doojoon. But oddly, he's not present at his heaven. Weird.

Time is running fast. I'd better get moving. So, I grabbed my things and headed out to the field.

 

The field was packed with the runners when I reached it. There was still no audience. But all sorts of banners and signs was plastered at the bleachers and benches. Colors of the schools can be seen and is giving the field a life. 

“Ohh. The field's pretty~” I wanted to take a picture but I was running late. The runners were already practicing. Choongjae sunbaenim would kill me if I don't start practicing now.

 

When I reached my locker, I expected that it would be the same. Same green door. Same "ㅅㄱㅇ ㄴㅈㅇㅎ. ㅅㄱㅇ ㄴㅅㄹ ㅎ~ <3" coded message. A quiet and serene place where I can gather my messy thoughts and relax before the match.

But instead of all those things that I've mention, this is what I see in front of my locker...

 

“TAN! TAN TAN TAN! TAN TAN TAN! TAN TAN TAAAANNN!

“Ah Im Seulong what the hell are you singing?!

 

A bickering Im Seulong and Kim Hyojin.

 

“What noona?! It's the Eye of the Tiger song!” Seulong hyung pouted and crossed his arms. “Noona don't tell me you're not familiar with it!

“Ey~ I know that! But you're off key!” Jea noona shot back.

“But you know I'm not a singer!

“I know. But still! You have a decent voice yet you waste it and sing off-key!” She shook her head in disappointment. “This is really a waste of talent. I can't look at you right now.” Noona then turned away from Seulong hyung, still shaking her head.

“What? Yah. What is this

 

“Ehem.

 

The two of them jumped in surprise, faces shocked. “Excuse me, but what are you

“KWON-AH!” Seulong hyung quickly pulled me in for a very tight hug. “Aigoo Kwon-ah. You don't know how much I've sufferred while waiting for you.” He did a crying nose which is really funny. “That noona over there is pestering me again.

“Peste... Pestering?” Jea noona's eyes widened. “Yah Im Seulong weren't you the one who called me at 6 in the morning to wait for Kwonnie here?

Seulong hyung let go and faced Jea noona. “Noona the reason why I called you is because Jinwoonie was up all night studying for something. Changmin hyung said that he can't come in early because he has a meeting with one of his professors.” He sighed. “So I had no choice but to choose from the four of you. Obviously Ga In is off the list...

Hyung suddenly stopped talking and looked at me with concern. “What?” I cocked my head to the side, confused. “Is something wrong with my face? Is something in my face?” I said as I touched my face with both hands.

“Kwon-ah.” It was Jea noona who spoke softly. “Are you okay?

“Eh? Of course I am noona.

Seulong hyung reached out and clasped my left shoulder and shook it gently. “Seriously, are you okay?

“Mm.” I replied and nodded my head. Why are they acting like this? “I'm okay. I just need to warm

 

“We're not talking about the match. We're talking about Doojoon and Ga In.” Seulong hyung cut me off.

 

“Oh. That.” My mind went blank. Ever since my friends found out about them, they've been acting pretty weird around me. The two hyungs were obedient and lessened their teasing. Jinwoon followed every order I give him and Jea noona was kind enough to accompany me to places every time we bump into each other at the campus, which is something that she wouldn't normally do when we see each other.

“I'm okay.” I smiled and regained my thoughts. And I really mean it. I already hypnotized myself that just for today, I wouldn't be the mopey and sad Jo Kwon. “Thanks for asking though.” Today, I would be my old self.

They were still looking at me like I died or something, so I snapped my finger at them. “Yah. You two are funny.” A small laugh came out. “Stop staring! It's creepy to stare, you know.” I said as I pushed through Seulong hyung and opened my locker.

Well, tried. “Eh? Did someone change my locker combination?” I tried to open it but sadly, it wouldn't budge. Since I can hear the two snickering behind my back, they were obviously the culprits. “Excuse me, hyungnim and noonim who are laughing. I turned around and eyed them. What did you do to my locker?

“What are you talking about.” Seulong hyung acted all innocent. “We were just waiting for you here to wish you good luck and to lift your spirits up.

“Ongseul is right.” Jea noona chimed in,  looking sly while she shook her finger at me. “Don't blame something to us immediately.

I glared at them before going back to my locker. “They obviously did something do this...

 

After numerous attempts, I gave them a "I-give-up-you-two-win" look and sighed. “Hyung, just give me the new code. I really need to start warming up.” I pleaded Seulong hyung who was whistling. “I'm serious.

“Geez this is not fun.” Seulong hyung stood up and sighed. “To be honest I was expecting a big reaction from you but you surprised me by working quietly.” He started to enter the new pin that they came up. “I don't want to be blamed by the school or by you if you lose your match.” The door finally opened. “Here you go~

I bowed at him and opened my locker door. “WHA..” My eyes widened.

 

Inside my locker was a big Rilakkuma bear but it was customized. It was wearing clothes, similar to my former high school uniform. It has glasses and eyebrows.. which is weird because those bears are usually produced with no eyebrows. There were also balloons, a notebook and a banner.

“Kkapsain Bolt good luck later! Try and look for this banner when you run. ㅋㅋ” I read the text off the banner. Kkapsain Bolt. There's only one person who knows my school title...

 

 

“If you're wondering who did all of this, it was Ga In.” Jea noona spoke. “Everything's all her idea.

 

“Kwon-ah. Come here for a second.” Choongjae sunbaenim called me over to the stands.

 

It was already quarter to 10 and the whole field was almost full. Students from different universities started to fill in the colored seats and waved their school colors at each other. They were provoking and trash talking each other, which is nothing new in the sports world.

Before the contest, Seulong hyung and Jea noona accompanied me while I warmed up. Usually, this is Ga In noona's job but...

 

“Ga In said that she's sorry for today.” Seulong hyung said a few hours ago“She was up all night preparing and bugging us with this so she can't wake up early and yell at you while you're warming up. And that is in verbatim.”

“I didn't even know this until she asked me to write something in that notebook.” Jea noona pointed the black notebook that was placed on top of my towel. “But don't worry Kwonnie. Ga In will come later at the match.

I noticed Seulong hyung roll his eyes. “That's what she says.” He muttered out silently.

 

Choongjae sunbaenim grabbed me by the shoulders and shook lightly. “Are you okay? Alright?” I nodded. “Good. Good.” Cheers erupted as the other runners from the competing universities entered. “From what I've heard, almost all of your opponents today are juniors and seniors.

“Don't worry and don't get intimidated by them.” Choongjae sunbaenim was now giving me a pep talk. Great. Just what I need. “I don't think they know that you're a freshman though so that's another advantage. But yeah, don't get pressured and just do what you're normally doing when we're training, okay?

I nodded. “Thank you, sunbae.” With that, I started to head out to my position. Everyone in Kyunghee's side cheered as I walked to my position. I stopped, smiled and bowed politely at them.

 

“WOHOO LET'S GO JO KWON!!

 

A loud and distinguishable shout came from the crowd. I searched for the area where Doojoon's voice came from. This guy always likes to shout at the top of his voice. Like a big show-off. 

It didn't take me long to find him because he was very very noticable with his big flag and all his waving. “What the hell-” I squinted my eyes to take a good look at the text on the flag.

“Omo! Hyung! Look! Kwonnie hyung is looking at our direction.” I can hear Jinwoon's voice as he tugged Changmin hyung's shirt. My eyes automatically darted to their direction. Jinwoon was beside Doojoon. “KWONNIE HYUNG FIGHTING!!” He waved and cheered.

“Yah stop tugging my shirt! This is brand new!” Changmin hyung replied. He then waved at me and smiled.  “KWON-AH! DO WELL!

Beside him was Seulong hyung who was in a deep conversation with Jea noona. I couldn't care less if they cheered or not. I already suffered their company a while ago. But I was curious as to why are they in a deep conversation. That is so not Im Seulong and Kim Hyojin.

“OUR KWONNIE! FIGHTING!” Narsha noona waved excitely.

“Come on Jo Kwon! Show them what you're made of!” Miryo noona cheered.

I smiled widely and waved at the two noonas. “Thank you noonas!” I threw a heart sign at them. 

“Yah what was that?!” Doojoon retorted with big actions. “We greeted you first but you only gave your heart to the noonas!

I laughed at Doojoon's statement. “Doojoon hyungnim! Why would a guy give his heart to another guy? That's just weird!” I raised my hand up and waved my pointing finger, teasing him.

“Kwon's right Doojoon-ah.” Seulong hyung spoke, finally done with his conversation with Jea noona. “Besides, he can't give his heart away easily. He's saving it up for someone.” He smiled seepishly at my direction with a thumbs up.

Doojoon gave him a confused look while I glared at him. Aish. Seriously, this hyung. When will he stop dropping hints.

“RUNNERS, PLEASE STAND-BY AT YOUR POSITIONS.” The match commentator announced. I smiled and waved at them one last time before going to my post.

 

The other runners bowed at me when I passed by them. They're really polite. Well except for this one guy who's at my right. He glared at me before going back to his own business. I started to mentally prepare myself for the race when I reached my position. But something's missing. I feel like I still need to go back to the stands to look for another person...

 

“YAH! KKAPSAIN BOLT!

 

I turned to the side and saw Ga In noona smiling widely at me. “Read this.” I saw her mouthing at me. She was holding up a banner with a long text written on it.

 

“Sorry for not being with you earlier. I think Ongseul already explained everything. Good luck for today! If you don't win then you have to bring me coffee for a month. Got it? FIGHTING KKAPSAIN BOLT! DON'T LET ME DOWN! Or you will die.

 

Noona then did a "fighting" action and waved at me. “Wow. This guy is really popular.” I heard the guy on my left comment to the opponent beside him. “First he has the school, then a group of people waving a flag that I think is about him. Now he has this girl who's personally cheering from the sides.

“Yah. I think the girl is his girlfriend.” I heard the other guy's reply. “He's lucky. She looks pretty.

“Runner's, please get ready. We're about to start the race.” The referee came over and reminded us about the rules. I was smiling like an idiot as I listened to the referee's explanation.

 

 

Ga In noona is my girlfriend. Now that's a great thought before the match.

 

“And now, for this year's first placer. Congratulations Kyunghee University!

 

Loud cheers erupted from the field as I quietly walked up the stage to receive my medal. The sports commissioner was surprised when he saw me. He quickly grabbed the mic and said his reaction. “Oh! I can't believe it! Kyunghee University grabbed a big fish here!” The crowd was now quiet for they were curious with what the commissioner was saying.

He grabbed me by the shoulder and faced the crowd. “Everyone, do you know who this guy is?” He smiled, while the audience was silent. “Yaah~ I practically saw him grow up in the field. I can't believe it. Everyone, this guy here is the youngest national track and field champion.” Whispers and murmus now errupted from each side of the field. And now he's a champion for this year as well. Ah seriously.” He was really beaming. 

 

“Everyone, meet your champion from Kyunghee University, Mr. Jo Kwon!

 

Oh I was so embarrassed with what the commissioner did. Yes, I know the commissioner but I never thought that he'd make a big deal out of this one. He pushed me to the center and flashes from different cameras errupted, blinding me for a split second. When I regained my sight, I bowed deeply and smiled at the cameras. I still had to maintain an image even though I felt really embarrassed. 

Everyone clapped and cheered. The loudest was from my school, of course. And I can clearly see Doojoon's flag. I will kill him and rip that flag apart once I get off this stage. The commissioner tapped me by the shoulders and motioned for a photo-op. I can't refuse so I posed for a few more shots.

The closing ceremony was finally over. I was still on-stage, afraid to go down because people were swarming all over the place. “Excuse me, Kyunghee University champion.” Someone said from behind me. “Can I have the permission to kidnap you?

“Kidnap, what?” I smiled while turning around to face Ga In noona. How and when did she get to the stage, I have no idea. And I don't plan on knowing either. “Noona look.” I raised my gold medal to her face, just like old times. “I won. So I guess no coffee for you~” I ended by sticking my tongue out to her.

She smacked me in the head. “What do you mean no coffee. You still owe me coffee, idiot.” Noona suddenly grabbed my wrist and dragged me down the stage. “Remember you lost your match when we we're in middle school?

“You still remember that, noona?” I was honestly surprised with her sudden reminiscing.

She nodded. “Of course. You were a mess back then. Crying all day and head down low.” I don't even know where noona is taking me. “Worst day of Jo Kwon's life and best day of Son Ga In's life.

“Yah, what?!” I lightly knocked Ga In noona's head. “Noona where are you taking me anyway?

Before I knew it, we were already outside the field. “Put these on.” She gave me a blindfold.

“Why?” I raised my eyebrows at her.

“Aish just put it on and stop questioning me, Jo Kwon.” Noona sounded irritated. Not wanting to ruin my day and irritate her more, I obediently wore the blindfold. She grabbed me by the wrist again and silently led me to somewhere that only she knows.

 

“Noona just tell me where are we going!” It's been 30 minutes since we left the field, but Ga In noona still won't tell me where she's dragging me.

“Just shut up and stop complaining.” She said for the 5th time. Yes, I counted how many times she's been stalling me.

“Noona that's the fifth time you said that.

“What? You keep count?” I nodded in response. “Weirdo. Anyway, you can take the blindfold off.

I took the blindfold off and got amazed by what's in front of me. 

 

There were stars... Millions of stars in front of me. All shining and reachable. Both of us were also surrounded by planets, moons and asteroids. As I was observing the stars, a shooting star suddenly swooped in front of me, making me take a step back.

 

“Wah~ Noona, are we in the-

“Planetarium? Mm.” She said beside me. “Remember the day you lost? You told me you wanted to go to a planetarium to comfort yourself.” Ga In noona laughed. “And that's an odd request for someone who lost a race.

“What's so odd about that noona?” I pouted. “I was a kid. I was uttering useless stuff because I lost.” I saw noona's face change from a smile to her famous poker face. “Did you seriously think I was being serious back then, Ga In noona?

To my surprise, she nodded. “Really?” She nodded again. “You're serious?

“Yah. How am I supposed to know that you were only joking.” She smacked me in the head. “Now you really owe me coffee because you made me look stupid.

“No, no.” I was starting to laugh at Ga In noona. “That's not what I mean noona. You're not stupid.

 

“And thank you.” I gently placed my hand on her head. This is an advantage of me being slightly taller than her. “I mean that one. Thanks, for everything.

 

I felt her relax and she slip her hand on my waist. “This is weird but I feel that should be the one thanking you.

“Huh? Why?

“I don't know.” She shrugged. “I guess because... I just don't know. Maybe you'll do something grand to me in the near future that's why I'm thanking you in advance.” She laughed.

 

We fell silent and watched the milky way do its thing for an hour. This felt nice because it's been a while since me and Ga In noona had our alone time together. It was just like the old days. We sat down on the floor while she comfortably rested her head on my shoulders and I unconsciously hummed a song to her. Only difference is, I felt a little nervous.

 

Her phone suddenly rang. I heard her grumble before she picked it up. “Yeah?” She said, her voice irritated. “Huh? Ah. Sorry Doojoon. I'm with...” I quickly turned my head when I heard Doojoon's name. Ga In noona gave me a glance before continuing. “I'm with my friends. We're doing a project. And no, I haven't seen Kwonnie. Maybe he's hiding from you guys. I'm sure he'll show up. Mm. Okay. I'll let you know when I see him. Okay. Take care too~

“Take care?” I said in a mocking voice. “And since when did I became a project? Is your boyfriend jealous?

Ga In noona smacked me in the head... hard. “You should thank me, you know. I just saved your .” She placed her phone back inside her bag. “They're hunting for you. You should be prepared whe you leave this place. And no, Doojoon is still not my boyfriend.

“Still not?

“You sound surprised.” Ga In noona laughed. “No. He still haven't made a move, Mr. Champion.

I nodded. So Doojoon was the slow type. “But, maybe he's just waiting for you to move first?

She shrugged. “I don't know. I can't move first, idiot.” A hollow laugh came from her. “I'm a girl, remember?

“But that's the new trend!” I tried to make her feel better. I guess I have to talk to Doojoon when I get back to our room later. “Girls should move first!

“Eh? That's just weird.” Noona punched me in the arm and resumed her position earlier.

“Noona, can I ask you a question?

“Tch.” I felt her move a little beside me. “What now?

 

“If I asked you to be mine, would you accept me?

 

I felt her head was gone from my shoulders. Slowly glancing at my right, I saw her looking at me with a weird expression. “Yah. I was just asking a hypothetical question.” I said quickly. “But noona can

 

“Of course. I'll accept you in a heart beat.

 

“Wh- What?” I was honestly surprised with her answer.

She was laughing before she answered me. “You asked me if I would accept you, and I said yes. I will. In a heart beat.” Ga In noona then raised a finger at me. “But that's just hypothetical, right?

I smiled and nodded. “Mm. Everything's hypothetical.” I feel great and giddy inside.

 

 

Even though it's hypothetical, at least I know I have a shot at her.

 

———

a/n:

Another late post. OTL Sorry. This was supposed to be released last week but something went wrong. And last week was a bad week for me too. So the update kind of got dragged.

Anyway, recap! At least we know that Kwonnie has a shot with Ga-in :3 Only question now is what would he do? Hmm. And yes, Kwon will do something grand for Ga-in. But that's later on the story. I purposely made this chapter a bit sweet (?) lol idk if this is adam sweet for you guys but with the way the story is progressing, this is already sweet for the two of them. It will get a lot sweeter when.. Oh I'm going to spoil the whole story if I continue talking lol.

SPOILER ALERT. Next chapter, we're going to see a very... hmm how do I say this... a "that should be me" type of attitude from Kwon. Sort of. LOL. And a song is going to be featured next chapter!

D-Day tomorrow! BEG Unnies are finally coming back after 2 years. T.T I can't wait for their song release tomorrow. I know it's just their pre-release track but still. T.T and it's lyrics were written by Primary, Choiza and our very own Miryo unnie! :3 And D-3 until 2AM's 5th anniversary! \o/

I'll try to post the latest chapter by 2AM's 5th anniversary. If not, OTL I fail again. lol. But seriously, I'll try to update this a bit faster.

New and old subs plus silent readers: I sincerely thank you for waiting for this update. (__) 

Till the next update! :3 WOHOO BEG IS BACK! \o/