16

Drop Dead Goddess

 

SIXTEEN

____________________

 

 

"Ri, do you have any news about Jiyong? He didn't call me after his arrival or even before leaving." Young Bae started to sound concerned and worried about his best friend.

 

 

However, the person on the other line was completely at ease with his new girlfriend kissing his jaw line, teasing Seungri to give up the call and just focus on her. "Don't worry, he arrived safely. I guess. As if you don't know hyung, he's just like that. He'll just send a message or call if he needs something. So, stop panicking like a hysterical GF. Okay?"

 

 

Young Bae suddenly felt that there were eyes watching him as his orbs scanned the vicinity of the campus and look for something suspicious, but he ended finding nothing. "Bye Ri, I'll be there in the shop after I finished my paper."

 

 

After he hung up, he heard another creepy whistle coming from the bushes, behind the tree of the old storage room. He slowly lifted his foot, begun walking with his heart's rhythm becoming faster than the normal. "What was that?"

 

 

A hand from nowhere grabbed him and covered his mouth as he strongly struggled until he was able to remove the dark glasses that hid the pretty face of the strange man. "Jiyong? What the?" Young Bae almost got heart attack as he rested his hand on his shoulder, leaning to it so he won't lose his balance. "Why are you still here?"

 

 

"Shhhh!!!" Jiyong stick his forefinger against his dried lips as he picked the sun glasses and put it back to the place where it was supposed to be. "I'll explain everything to you at your apartment."

 

 

"But-" Young Bae haven't had the chance to protest as Jiyong gripped on his arm and dragged him towards his motorcycle. He put on the helmet and tossed another one to Sol which he immediately caught. "Let's go!" Jiyong exclaimed that Sol had no choice but to ride behind his dear best friend. Jiyong was really dictatorial.

 

 

*

 

 

Jiyong was sitting comfortably at his bed while gnawing a pizza. He really seemed to be very hungry as if he wasn't able to grab breakfast, lunch and snack. After eating everything, literally everything, that Sol didn't even eat a slice of the thin crust supreme pizza, Jiyong asked while opening a can of root beer."How's Miss Park? Does she look pale or something?"

 

 

"Oh, her?" Sol answered by asking him back. He was sitting on the wheeled office chair as he hovered over You Tube to watch the latest video that gained almost two hundred million views which was released by one of popular artists of YG and he wasn't sure if the lyrics were mother father gentleman or something like a curse. He was so engrossed with it that he almost forgotten about the paper in his top priority to be done today.

 

 

"She's not teaching anymore. Mr. Choi Dongwook is already back this morning from hospital. He recovered his legs completely and now he could walk normally," Sol answered clearly with his gaze still on the screen of his overly used laptop.

 

 

"Is that so? . Where do you think can I find her?" Jiyong straightened his sit as he pulled the chair where Young Bae was since it was within his reach. The room was small and his study table was just adjacent to the double deck bed. "Molla," Sol looked at him and shrugged what's bothering his best friend as he started laughing hard with the randomness of the new video that netizens were going nuts about.

 

 

"Where the hell should I start looking for her?" The pretty boy started to talk to himself again as Sol who seemed to be enjoying one of the members of Brown Eyed Girls' special appearance on the video. Sol was actually keenly listening to Jiyong while blissfully watching, multi-tasker, they said.

 

 

He paused the crazy music video as his serious tone was heard coming from his mouth. "Just ask help from your dad or your brother's people. They got many men in black people right? Just like in movies. You can find her without any sweat with their help."

 

 

"I can't, as I said to you earlier, my dad doesn't know that I'm still here, only Jaejoong and Changmin. So please don't tell anyone. And, uhmmm- can I stay here?" Before even Sol was able to answer Jiyong, the door opened with the creepy horror-like creak sound that was one of the evidences that the apartment was old already.

 

 

Confusedness was plastered on Jiyong's face as his eyes examined her from head to toe as if he was some sort of fashion police, his mouth fell open with the innocent natural beauty that this girl possessed, his hand out of the blue grabbed Sol's leg and squeezed it a little before looking back at his best friend. "You have a girlfriend?"

 

 

"Huh?" Young Bae knotted his brows and joined Jiyong for being confused. Jiyong took a glance of her once more as she entered the bathroom, heard that she opened the shower and begun singing wonderfully as if she was doing a mini concert inside that Jiyong became her number one fan immediately after hearing a stanza.

 

 

For the first time, Young Bae got what Jiyong was trying to imply nonverbally. He must be given honor with that since he can now read people's mind through their actions. "Ahh... She's my roommate." Jiyong was really dumbfounded and didn't know the exact right words to express his reaction.

 

 

How on earth? And when did Sol had that overflowing beauty roommate and yet, they were not dating or something? "She? She's a girl!" Jiyong's mind was too corrupted that he even thought that his best friend wasn't a anymore. "Uh- yeah. I know that already," Sol monotonously answered since he already knew she's a girl and isn't that obvious?

 

 

"Dude! Your roommate is a girl!" And when a boy and a girl will be left alone in a small room like this (given every night they are together) of course something will happen. ual will do happen. There's no question with that. He thought, that he had to suppress what he was thinking because if he tells him, she might hear it. "I already told you, I have a roommate named IU and I know she’s a girl," Sol scratched the back of his head with that afro hair.

 

 

"But you didn't tell me that she's a girl! You only said her name!" Jiyong started to raise his voice as if he was trying to sing in falsetto. "What's the big deal of her being a girl? Is that bad? She's normal. She's just a girl. G-I-R-L. What's wrong?" He even spelled out the word with his pure innocence as Jiyong couldn't do anything but to have a face palm.

 

 

Sol cannot really decipher what Jiyong was trying to say. So the award of him by reading Jiyong's mind was now taken back again. He was surely had no single idea why Jiyong was acting like that. Of course, if Seungri was in that position, most probably, they were already dating or something. But in this case, it was the no-experience-ever-innocent-guy Dong Young Bae.

 

 

The battle between the malicious head of Jiyong against the blank slate mind of Young Bae lasted for almost thirty minutes that was enough for her to take a shower, brush her teeth and put on decent clothes. "Never mind, you'll never understand. I just think I can't stay here if your roommate is a girl," Jiyong accepted his defeat since he knew that Sol won't understand the dilemma he was stating.

 

 

The door from the bathroom opened as she combed her hair that was still dripping wet. She seemed to be in a hurry but still managed to talk, "Don't worry, I don't mind." Her sweet voice made Sol smile as he remembered that he needed to introduce the two to each other. "Uh- IU this is Jiyong," Sol shifted his sight from her to him and vice versa. "Jiyong, she is IU."

 

 

"I know him already since you are popular in our school. And a rumor about you going abroad was widely broadcasted. And I wonder why you are still here." She uttered while applying moisturizer on her face then put on a talc powder afterwards. She then put thick books on her shoulder bag that seemed to be fifteen kilograms all in all. "Uh- can I ask a favor?" Jiyong muttered that made IU stop from what she was doing.

 

 

"Can you please not tell anyone about me staying here, just let them believe that I left the country," Jiyong coldly spoke as if he wasn't asking for favor and just saying what he wanted. "Sure no problem."

 

 

After she packed all she needed, she had a final glimpse on her cute face on the small mirror attached to the back of the door. "Ahm, Sol, I won't sleep here tonight. We have group study with my classmates. Bye," she made a farewell bow at Jiyong and a goodbye wave to Sol.

 

 

"Okay, take care," Sol waved back as Jiyong wore a never ending grin that almost showed his pink gums. His eyes were twinkling and teasing Young Bae that was of course, he didn't get at all. "What? What's your problem?"

 

 

"Dude, you are LIVING with a girl!" He made sure that he emphasized that important word. He thought that she was somehow feeling some sort of crush towards Young Bae. Jiyong was secretly happy about the situation because first of all, he wanted Sol to experience the great feeling of being with a girl, doing some sweet or lustful stuff and secondly, if they will be in a relationship, Dara will be all his.

 

 

"Then? What's wrong with that really? What's the problem with that?" Young Bae narrowed his eyes as Jiyong gave up arguing. He was really done with him as he ran his palm over his face once more. "Aish..."

 

 

*

 

 

The sun was still sleeping but Jiyong's eyes didn't attempt to close, not even once and he was surely wide awake. Maybe because he was uncomfortable since the bed was so small which fits only a single person that they tried to sandwich themselves together and another thing, Young Bae was snoring. Of course, he can't sleep on IU's bed which was above them since it's a double decker bed. She's a girl and it will be rude if he lied there. He knew how girls don't like their belongings to be touched by others.

 

 

Out of a sudden, the alarm clock rang as Young Bae bounced from his slumber with his great afro hair covering his face. He sleepily turned the alarm down, pushed the switch for his study lamp and noticed that Jiyong was watching him the whole time."Oh, you are already awake? It is only four. Go back to sleep. I'll just need to study."

 

 

"You're such a nerd. Well, I can't sleep," Jiyong said so slow that sounded like a groan. He lied on his side and stretched his arms and legs that his hands and feet were not supported by the bed anymore and those were just hanging in the air. While he was yawning, he noticed a set of pretty colorful shells on the table. Two of those were big and one was so small. "Uhm, what are those? I never knew you are into keeping shells."

 

 

"These?" He pointed with his pen. “These were given by Krung. Funny might it sound, but those are my real treasure. If ever this dorm will be caught on fire, I'll save them first. Those are the only things that are left for me." Silly might that sound, but that Krungy was that important to him up until now.

 

 

Jiyong's curiosity arisen, "Why shells Sol?" Young Bae who was into making an outline for his reaction paper about the documentary of the great heroes that was shown in their class, answered flatly, not giving Jiyong a single glimpse. "She loves the sea, beach and fish. All about marine stuff."

 

 

"Here." He handed the small photo of a cute small girl with a delightful smile that he didn't recognized that easily. "What's this?" Jiyong stared at the photograph, puzzled. "She gave it to me when they had vacation in Busan. She was with her mom and dad that time. I still can't forget how enthusiastic she is towards the sea. How she loves the waves, the fine white sand, the warm sea breeze. She always mentioned before that she'll always go back to that place. Actually, she said she'll do everything to own a house near a sea for her mom and dad. But sadly, they died."

 

 

Jiyong secretly smirked since they were talking about Dara. But seriously, that kid doesn't look like her in the photo, but that smile, he was sure she was Dara. He was just that glad to hear anything about her since she didn't always open up her past to him. She's a huge mystery for Jiyong and unexpectedly, he liked that. "I always wonder if I go to Busan, I might see her or what. Though... I doubt we'll ever see each other again. It has been a decade and I also doubt that she'll remember me."

 

 

"What's the name of this beach again?" Jiyong rolled and lied on his stomach while studying the place on the picture. He has good photographic memory and in one glace, he could easily remember the place. "I'll go there," he spoke his mind without even thinking after Young Bae told him the name of the beach. "Why?" Sol was surprised as well as Jiyong himself. "Uh- I guess... Uhmmm... I think that beach will be great. And, uhmmm... I need relaxation, I think?" Jiyong stuttered. "Relaxation?" A brow was raised as Jiyong sat and scratched his head. "I'm depressed." He lied that Young Bae obviously didn't believe him. "Uhm... People don't recognize me there," he reasoned out.

 

 

"Tss... How did you know? Dude, you are known in whole South Korea. Want me to come with you?" Young Bae brightened the room with his priceless smile with those disappearing eyes that were still covered with his afro hair. "But-" this was the first time Jiyong was cut while he was talking and couldn't help himself anymore to stop Young Bae. "Just let me finish this exam and I'll accompany you. I just don't have money."

 

 

*

 

 

The large room that looked more of a museum than an office since five large renaissance paintings worth a million dollars each were plastered on the wall and different intricate human sculptures of known artists were displayed in every corner of it seemed to be a dungeon to whoever go there and talk to him. Daesung turned the knob as he slowly opened the thick wooden door. Before he could even closed it, Seunghyun's low voice echoed. "Give me updates about Jiyong."

 

 

He almost tripped with his long way towards his busy desk as his grip on the papers tightened. "Uhm, I don't know if you want to hear this or-" Seunghyun slapped the table with both of his hands that made Daesung startled a little. He was wondering is he was hired as a lawyer or as an assistant or secretary. "Kang, just tell me what's happening to that brat bastard."

 

 

"I'm afraid he didn't leave. He didn't board the plane and your aunt is hysterically worried about him. She expected Jiyong's arrival yesterday." He gestured him to go out the room while his blood started to rise, the pen in his grasp almost breaking in half. "He's really challenging my temper."

 

 

After pressing a number, his two favorite apprentices immediately entered in no time. "Jaejoong and Changmin, look for him. Order your men to search, bring Jiyong back here. I'm pretty sure he's just within the outskirts of the city. Cut all his credit cards so he won't have any resources." They nodded endlessly as Seunghyun slowly bit his lower lip while an idea rushed up to his head. "Oh, no. Don't cut the line of his credit cards, just let him use it so we can trace where he is."

 

 

"Yes, boss." They responded in great unison before they gracefully exited. To be honest, Jaejoong wasn't really sure what was the right thing to do since he already knew where is the location of Jiyong. After they closed the door, Jaejoong whispered, "What are we gonna do?"

 

 

Changmin slightly punched his muscled arm. "Do you treasure your life, dude?" The anime looking guy scratched his head and gazed at the other man, "But Jiyong is my friend." The two walked on the corridor timidly as Jaejoong frowned, so worried while Changmin glared at his sunbae, "Just choose, your life or your friendship?"

 

 

*

 

 

He was lucky enough to get rid of Sol and successfully had his journey to Busan alone. It has been a week of searching for her but his hope was still at its peak even though it seemed hopeless. A rest will be enough for him to continue finding her. He'll find a cheap motel later but first and foremost, he needed caffeine since his energy seemed to drain rapidly.

 

 

Confident enough that he won't be recognized since he was wearing a sweat pants and hoodies that he never imagined in his entire life that he would wear that, he stepped to the nearest coffee shop with his eyes staying at his feet, hands tightly gripping at the strap of his backpack. The girl entertained him right after he approached the counter. "Miss, one Americano triple shot and that chocolate chip cookie."

 

 

He fished for his credit card from his wallet behind his pants. He handed it over her and gazed at his money left that was only good for two days. His mind immediately remembered that he might be tracked if he'll use the card. Good thing his brain cells weren't dead yet. "Miss wait, I'll pay in cash. Can I have my credit card back?"

 

 

"What's your name sir?" She gave back the black card while he handed the cash and answered him with delight, as if he was introducing his name with the tone of flirting. "I'm Jiyong..." She smiled before Jiyong completely turned around.

 

 

". I gave my name," he ranted mumbling with the stupidity of revealing his name after sitting on the table beside the window. He said just his given name, without the surname but still, he needed to be really careful in everything he does.

 

 

He angrily ruffled his moped pink and blue hair with the black color starting to grow out at the root. He rested his head on his palms with his fingers intertwined with his tendrils, tugging it hard before letting go. He then grabbed the black bonet and wore it on which hid his colorful hair totally. He put his backpack on his lap and rummaged for his phone that made him face down. With that position, Dara entered the coffee shop, passed through Jiyong which she didn't recognize and went straight to the counter. 

 

 

"Miss, can I have medium cappuccino frappe. Thanks." She handed the cash asked by the cashier. "Dara," she flatly uttered before taking her change. She roamed her brown orbs around the small cozy room and found only one vacant table which was beside the huge floor to ceiling glass window that showcased the great view of the open sea. She pulled the chair which was behind the man with his head still sulking down.

 

 

All she could do was sit arrogantly. Slumping her against the brown soft cushion attached to the wooden chair then threw her handbag to the sit next to her. She then played with her new phone, not by playing some sort of games but playing it by spinning it and tossing up, as if she didn't care if it breaks or what.

 

 

The girl in uniform brought what Jiyong and Dara ordered and gave those to each of them. The staff ignored Dara but had a little glance at Jiyong because she was thinking that the he looked like some sort of celebrity or known personality but she just wasn't sure who was his look alike.

 

 

This just proved that no matter how hard Jiyong dressed up, there are still people who can recognize such handsome face. And Jiyong must be more careful with the keen eyes of the observers. And who won't be caught by his eyes covered with branded eye glasses during five thirty in the afternoon when the sun will soon disappear?

 

 

Dara raked her soft chestnut hair with her fingers as she heaved a deep sigh of loneliness. Shaking her head with the unknown reason, she rested her elbow on the wooden round table and stick her palm against her cheek while her other hand grabbed her icy chocolate drink and sipped through the black straw. Dara closed her eyes with the bittersweet cold taste embracing her tongue then tickling .

 

 

On the other hand, Jiyong leaned his back and crossed his legs that made their sits accidentally touched each other. Dara just rolled her eyes and moved her sit closer to the table that sounded more of a tantrum that made Jiyong creased his forehead and hissed with the arrogant behavior of the other person which he didn't even care to look back whoever was that.

 

 

His long face was back while he absentmindedly stirred his coffee. After some time, the hotness was reduced as he tasted all the bitterness of it together with the tiredness of the searching operation. He was surely exhausted but his faith didn't turn down, he was sure that they will soon meet.

 

 

Though, Dara's mind was still blank while staring at the mixture of light blue and tangerine sky. Dusk was surely a magical hour with God creating a beacon of wonderful sight with the sun setting down, however, Dara considered it as a loneliest time of the day. But Jiyong's face lit up while admiring the great view of the deep blue sea clashing against the red orange heavens.

 

 

Both have heavy heart. Staring at the same vast sky. One letting go but the other still holding on.

 

 

Sorry for pushing you away the harshest way possible. I didn't want to, it's just that I need to. I hope we'll never meet again. But honestly, I really miss you Jiyong...

 

 

A day without you is just too much for me. , it has been a week already. I'm dying here. I hope to see you soon. I miss you Dara...

 

 

 

 

 

_________________

A/N: Hahahaha. They're just back to back.

 All they need to do is to turn around.  XD