Ch 8: Cheongmal Mian

Loving You Is Not An Easy Thing To Do

 “I’m not the kind of person who ask and interfere with other people’s lives but--” L trailed off. He felt a bit weird for being like that, for even asking but he couldn’t remove the gut feeling that there’s something he should know about.

“You’re the type who doesn’t ask and waits for the person to talk about it and I’m the type who doesn’t tell unless someone asked. So whatever it is you want to say, spill.”

“What’s between you and those Dong Bang boys?”

“Why? What’s the matter?”

“I’ve been going in this school for two years already and I know that they just don’t make friends with just anybody. They’re like this really tight group that nobody could just come in to and hang out. But I’ve been seeing you talking with them from time to time. They even seemed friendly to me sometimes.”

She took a bite of her lunch and swallowed before answering. “Aren’t you thinking too much about things? We’re schoolmates, isn’t it normal to talk?”

“Yoochun ate lunch with us and talked for almost an hour about a certain strip club.”

“Yeah he talked a lot didn’t he?”

“Don’t change the subject” he warned.

Danmi laughed seeing L getting annoyed. “Fine, I’m not gonna say anything because I was told not to. But I’m telling you it’s not something to be worried about.”

“Are you sure?”

“It’s a bit complicated.”

“So you’re gonna tell me when it’s less complicated?”

“Nope, I’m gonna tell you when it’s even more complicated.” Danmi smiled but L’s brows only crunched more.

“You’re not in trouble are you?”

“Define trouble” L crossed his arms showing that he’s not entertained a bit making Danmi stopped her playing. “In a way I am in trouble but not like ‘I’m getting on a fight trouble’ more of ‘this situation is trouble’

“I don’t get what you mean.”

“That’s why I told you it’s complicated. Don’t worry you’ll know about it soon enough. Why are you laughing?” she asked looking weirdly at the laughing L.

“It’s just everyone in this school is so dramatic. You know Boys Over flowers dramatic. Those Dong Bang guys are like the f4 and you’re somewhat like that Jandi girl.”

“Didn’t know you watch that and please I’m no Geum Jandi. I’m way better.” Danmi rolled her eyes and praised herself earning fits of laughter from the both of them.

(^+^)(^0^)(^+^)

Jaejoong swallowed with difficulty the most tasteless food he had ever consumed. A grand chandelier hung from the ceiling as the four of them ate a five star dinning at the Kim’s mansion. It was supposed to be a ‘family dinner’ but one look of a stranger and one would thought it was a mourning dinner. Nobody uttered a single word not even clashing of spoon and forks against plates would be heard.

“I’m not going through this marriage” Jaejoong’s tone void of any emotion.

“Yes you will” his father answered not even looking anywhere except on the food on his plate, his voice matching his son’s.

Jaejoong put his utensils down with a clutter. “Abeoji, I know I made a mistake but don’t you think this is too much. Don’t you think you went too far this time?”

“YOU went too far. I’m not having this talk again. Jaejoong I don’t care what your reasons are. All I know is that you’re going to stop being a spoiled brat. I’ve had enough of your bad behaviour. You’re doing what I tell you to do and as long as you live under my roof, eat at my table and wear clothes my money bought then YOU DO WHAT I SAY!” His father’s hands were in a fist as his voice gets louder with every word.

Jaejoong stood up abruptly, the chair tumbling down that if were made of glass it would have shattered already. “I’m not a puppet. I have my own life. You can’t decide my life for me. Abeoji, how can you expect me to spend the rest of my life with someone I don’t love? Heck I don’t even know her! You can’t force us to marry! This is wrong!” his father just looks at him calmly like the elder Kim was already expecting his son’s outburst already. The elder Kim looked at Danmi’s direction but didn’t say anything.

Danmi lowered her head and kept shut making Jaejoong’s blood boil even more. “You’re really not gonna say anything?!” he shouted. It was a good thing she was seating across him not beside him or he didn’t know what he could have done. “Yah! Seo Danmi!” Jaejoong could’ve popped all the veins on his neck and Danmi wouldn’t hear a thing. Not being able to take it anymore Jaejoong left with a loud bang of the door.

 

“Jaejoong  I told you th--”

“Shut Up!” Jaejoong shouted. After dinner Jaejoong went to Purple Line just a few moments later Danmi came as well and right now the two of them are having a heated conversation on her sound proof office. “I was asking you for your support and you ignored me! You could have just said something!” he knows that the only way that all of this to stop is to have both of them opposing this marriage. Any word from him would only be whispers of the wind to his parents’ ears; he knows he can’t do this alone.

“Jaejoong I told you I can’t disobey my parents.” her voice almost pleading hoping he’d be reasonable. She knew she didn’t anything wrong but the way Jaejoong shout at her and kick things in her office made her feel like she betrayed him. He felt abandoned. Jaejoong thought that the two of them, to put it into better words ‘became friends’, friends who would at least help one another in times of desperate needs.

“I have a girlfriend!”

“Gi- girlfriend?” she stuttered. Never had it occurred to her that the reason he doesn’t want to be tied to her is that someone already claimed his heart.

“I can’t marry you. I can’t leave her for you. Don’t turn me into a bad person.” Jaejoong slumped in the sofa all of his fighting spirit drained from his body his voice so small he wasn’t even sure she would hear him. “Can’t you really help? Just this once? I’m begging you. Danmi, I really love her. I can’t leave without her”

The first time he said her name and he’s asking her to break their marriage, how funny does that sound. Danmi’s heart shattered seeing him like this. She didn’t want to make him miserable. She didn’t want to be the one to ruin other people’s lives but she has no choice. If he wants to break their marriage he has to do it on his own. “Mian Jaejoong. Cheongmal mian.”

 

Ever since that night Jaejoong have been avoiding her, not that they talk much. But every time she would hang out with the guys, Jaejoong would make sure that he leaves or is in the other end of the room. “Did something happen?” Yunho asked as he sat beside Danmi on the bar of Yoochun’s house. Others are doing their own thing and just hanging out but Danmi isn’t really in the mood.

“What happen?” she feign innocence.

He was talking with Changmin when he noticed Danmi sat at the bar and stare at Yoochun’s wine collection. Curiosity got the better of him so he went over. “Between you and Jaejoong you know what I mean.”

Danmi sighed deeply. “To make the long story short he’s mad at me for not saying anything.”

“About what?”

“He told his parents that about not wanting to get married and I didn’t back him up. So now he’s angry at me.” She doesn’t really like drinking but somehow Yoochun’s red wines looks appetizing.

“Ohh” Yunho didn’t know what to say. He didn’t even know why he asked.  He wants to know what’s going on and what’s wrong because it was pretty obvious that there was something wrong, well at least to him it was obvious. But comforting and giving advice is not really his forte. Maybe he shouldn’t have asked after all.

“Honestly, I don’t even want to be here right now. No offense”

“None taken. You want me to take you home?”

Danmi looked at him expectantly “Could you please?”

Yunho couldn’t help smiling at her aegyo. “Of course, let’s go. Guys I’m sending Danmi home.” He shouted to the others with his car keys already on hand.

“Danmi, you’re going already? but we haven’t played our rematch yet.” Junsu whined hoping she’d stay so he could regain his man honour he lost to a WII dance battle.

“Junsu maybe next time. She said she doesn’t feel well.” Yunho stated and Danmi just smiled sheepishly. Jaejoong looked up but didn’t say anything. He just stared at her without any expression on and it made Danmi very uncomfortable.

“Are you alright?” Yoochun asked in concern.

“I’m fine just a little tired I guess.”

“We’re going now.” Yunho announced after they’ve put their jacket on and left the room with Danmi trailing behind.

The car ride was silent. Yunho kept his eyes on the road and Danmi gazed at the buildings and people passing by. No words were spoken but they didn’t feel awkward at all. The quietness surrounding both of them was very comfortable and that’s how it’s always been like between the both of them. No words needed, just the mere presence of the other is enough for company.

When they reached her house Yunho stepped down from the car to marvel at her abode. He gave it an overall with Danmi just at the side watching his expression. His expression barely changed until he saw the basketball ring that Danmi swear she saw his eyes sparkle. “You shoot hoops?”

“Occasionally when I feel like it.”

“Let’s play.”

“Now?”

“Why not? You feel stressed it’s a good way to let it out.” He smiled brightly making her heart flutter a bit.

“True, but I’ll pass for now. I’m not in the mood to be all sweaty.”

He pucker his lips in disappointment. “Fine, but can I play. I really like basketball.”

“Sure.” Yunho played some basketball with Danmi just watching sitting at the swing just a few meters from the basketball court.  He shoots hoops, dribbled in different styles and played with an invisible opponent. Getting fired up just by watching Danmi picked up the ball that went to her direction and stepped in.

 “Thought you’re not in the mood?” Yunho raised a brow as he tries to catch his breath.

“Shut up and play” she said as she passed the ball to Yunho with force. He smiled but it soon turns to a smirk as he put his game face on.

Danmi did her best trying to overcome Yunho’s height and model physique. The guy made it easy for her but that didn’t mean he’ll let her win. Yunho’s a prideful man after all. He’ll let her shoot a few hoops and gave her the ball a few times every time he’ll see that she’s getting tired of trying to steal the ball or just even touch it. To his amusement she really played the sport well better than mos—screw that Danmi is the ONLY girl he knows that plays basketball.

Her hands on her knees, sweat rolling down the side of her face “Come on, I’m a girl be easy on me.”

Yunho laughed heartily. “Your finally using the ‘I’m  a girl’ card.” He said as he effortlessly spinning the ball with his thumb.

“Can’t help it, you’re too good at this game” she panted smiling. They’ve been playing this game for who know how long and she’s only scored half of his. So she’s taking matters into her own hands, no way she’s giving up without a damn fight.

“Hey that’s a foul!” Yunho shouted as Danmi poked his sides making him loose his hold on the ball.

“You’re six feet tall and twice my size. Let’s make this game fair” she snickered dribbling the ball low in one hand.

“So you’re cheating to make this game fair.” Yunho laughed at her logic. This girl is entertaining him in more ways than one.

“Haha, exactly!” she laughed loud. Yunho tried to grab the ball forgetting all the rules.

“Hey, now that’s foul!” she shouted as she turned her back on him hugging the ball as both of them laughed out loud.

“No it’s not! And you started it!” Yunho argued back as he encircled his arms on her small frame trying to get the ball that she guarded with her embrace.

Danmi tried her best to keep the ball on her side. She embraced the ball tightly not giving Yunho the chance to steal it back. Suddenly Yunho stopped trying and even stopped moving. Danmi lifted her head to ask him if he finally would let her win only to see Yunho looking to the direction in front of them.

Following his gaze, Danmi dropped the ball in surprise to see Jaejoong standing there with hand on his pocket staring coldly at them, any expression void on his face. Realizing that their position isn’t what would you call appropriate between just friends the two straightened up moving away from each other.

Hearing that she’s not feeling well, Jaejoong couldn’t help but think about Danmi. After they left Jaejoong excuse himself from playing and just sat at the corner gather his thoughts. He was thinking that he might have gone too far shouting and blaming her. After all she said from the start that if he wants to stop everything, he has to do it himself. Danmi never lied or lead him to believe that he’s going to help her. In fact she was very truthful and tact from the start, no false pretences.

That was one of the things he’s actually thankful of. She’s not hard to get along with. Truthfully, without all of this crazy arrangement they could be good friends. She’s easy to get along with and not a stuck-up likes most girls who try to get close to him. That thought made him feel guilty again. He remembered the look on her face when he shouted at her at her office. She has been very understanding of his behaviour. Not once did she get mad at him even if he’s acting like the world’s biggest jerk when she’s around. She didn’t deserve that and hearing that she’s not feeling well made him feel that somehow it was his fault.

Feeling that he should apologize or at least show that he’s sorry Jaejoong grabbed his keys. He was practicing what he would say but all of that went out of the window when he saw the supposed to be ‘not feeling well’ Danmi laughing in his best friends embrace. He didn’t know why but his blood boils. He was racking his brains thinking of the best way to apologize but make it not look like it’s an apology. He was feeling guilty for shouting at her and here she is having a great time with his best friend.

Seeing them so happy laughing in each other’s embrace made him clutch his fist. Hiding his hands in his coat, he continued watching them until Yunho saw him. Both of them froze and Jaejoong didn’t utter a single word. Danmi was about to say something when he cut her off. “Let’s talk.”

 


 

I know it’s been ages since I’ve updated but I was busy with my school. Did you guys miss me? Hehe ><, I feel embarrass asking. Anyways it’s summer and the heat is killing me. I really have low heat tolerance and since I have Skin asthma, my skin is getting worse and worse by each day. Even if I apply moisturizing lotion my skin looks like a fish scale.. =(  Do you guys have any tips or any remedies you can share…=)

It’s the second day of the Tokyo Dome concert and it’s making me sad because I want to go but that’s not possible. I hope I’ll be able to watch the concert online. Hehe .

Oh yeah, Please comment and subscribe. Seriously guys comment, alright. A single thank you for the update or even YOUR WRITING would be welcomed. Buuutttt, hehe I still hope it would be good and nice comments.. keke

nar12345 : you’re right they do fall hard =) She’s a tough one isn’t she. She’s like that because she knows that it’s an arrange marriage and given his playboy reputation (she also saw his pixelated . Keke) he’s bound to play with girls.. And don’t worry you’re not ranting, I love reading long comments and please do the same in the future. Thank you very much.. =)

anneanne: No worries. Please do ask me about anything or any reactions would be welcomed too. And for saying you love my story, thank you very much. That means a lot to me. Please keep supporting me till the end.. =)

_DyNaR_  :She didn’t get mad because she knows he’s Jaejoong’s friend before anything else. And since it’s an arrange marriage she knows she can’t force him to do and not to do thigs.

el_lirio85It’s kind of a date since they’re eating together, spending time together and do sorts of couple stuff. It’s like a dinner date with home cook meals.. =)

Jun_KOI_Mi : she’s not mad because she knows she doesn’t have the right since they’re not married and technically their not boyfriend or girlfriend either. But she is a bit upset since her fiancé is out on a date with another girl. Thank you for commenting. =)

lightXdarkness234: Thank you very much for appreciating and commenting. I hope I didn’t disappoint you on this one.