Ch 24: Better than that

Loving You Is Not An Easy Thing To Do

Jaejoong just got back from a lunch meeting when he spotted Danmi on the streets walking with a guy. His foot abruptly hit the brakes earning him a shout from the car behind him. He watched as his wife smiled talking with the guy while walking on the streets. His grip on the steering wheel tightened, anger rushing through his veins. Driving to the side, he parked his white Bentley not even caring even if his car got towed later.

“Danmi!” he shouted but kept his face calm.

“Jaejoong” Danmi mumbled in surprise. “What are you doing here?”

“Shouldn’t I be asking you that?”

Sensing anger on his voice Danmi quickly answered. “This is Jang Geun Suk. He’s a friend of mine since long time ago. He’s putting up a studio and since I’ve got nothing better to do I decided to help him.” she explained holding up the big box on her hand. “Suk, this is Jaejoong my husband.” Suk? The pet name popped one of Jaejoong’s veins.

“You’re married?” he asked disbelievingly. “oh wait you told me that. I forgot. You didn’t invite me.” He looked at her accusingly “not cool, just not cool” Danmi rolled her eyes. “Nice to meet you Jaejoong shi. I would shake your hand but their currently occupied at the moment” he motioned for the box in his hand. “Why don’t we continue this inside? This box is getting heavier by the second.”

Just like what Danmi said the studio was still a mess with everything placed everywhere. “Jaejoong shi just find a place to seat somewhere.” Geun Suk shouted placing the boxes he and Danmi were carrying.

Jaejoong looked around the studio. Different kinds of dresses and costumes were scattered everywhere. Photography equipment was placed together at one side. Electric fans and lightings were standing everywhere and Jaejoong almost tripped at one of the power cords that decorated the floor.

Holding out his hand “it’s nice to finally meet you Jaejoong shi. Danmi told me quite a lot about you.”

Jaejoong’s brows raised and shook the offered hand “really?”

“No. I just said that to be nice.” he said flatly. “She actually hasn’t mentioned you at all.” He said in all honesty. “Don’t take it too heart. She’s just really like that.” Great, he knows her more than he does. There goes another vein or maybe an artery this time, Jaejoong’s not sure yet.

“What are you guys talking about?” Danmi placed their fast food lunch on the table.

“You and how weird you are” Geun Suk said taking a seat and looking for his McDonald Double Cheeseburger.

“I’m not weird.”

“Yeah right.”

“I’m not!” she hit him in the arm earning a painful growl from a mouthful Geun Suk.

Jaejoong watched the two be playful with each other and he doesn’t like it at all. He doesn’t like seeing their skin ship and how they act like he’s not even there at all. She acted so comfortable around him that it made Jaejoong questioned the way Danmi acts around him. She hasn’t act like that in front him. They would joke and tease each other from time to time but they weren’t comfortable to hit each other and not wonder if the other takes it to heart.

“Eottokhae? I only ordered for two.” Danmi glanced at Jaejoong.

Slightly emphasizing the pet name “It’s alright jagiya. Let’s just share; I’ll just take a few bites. I’m not that hungry.” He didn’t tell them he already had lunch. That might just earn him ticket back to his office.

He took a sip of her coke. “So how long did the two of you know each other?” He wasn’t really curious. He just doesn’t want to feel left out.

“Since middle school” Geun Suk swallowed. “We were classmates before she transferred to a different school. But we still kept contact after that.”

“We were classmates and quite often seat mates too” Danmi added.

“How about you? When did you two meet each other?” Danmi stiffened. As close as they are she can’t tell him that their marriage was arranged.

“We were classmates in high school. She had a huge crush on me and seduced me. She was desperate so I pitied her so I agreed to date.” Jaejoong smiled tauntingly before taking a bite of Danmi’s cheeseburger. That’s payback for what she made him feel earlier.

Danmi’s eyes widened and gaped open. She can’t believe he would say such things.

Geun Suk stared at Danmi accusingly “Tsk tsk. I know you had it in you. I had the feeling when you kept giving love letters and cakes.” He shook his head side to side. “She was so clingy back then.”

“You like him?” that didn’t really sound too good in Jaejoong’s ears.

“No. it wasn’t like that.” Danmi shook her head roughly in denial.

“Something like that” Geun Suk ignored her. “She even made a handmade a stuffed dog and all. She was really annoying so I agreed on a few dates. But later I dumped her. She’s just not my style.”

“who dumped who?” Danmi gaped in disbelief. “And  Akira is not hand made. I bought him in Japan you Idiot you. And just for the record, you are so not my style either. I prefer--”

“Manly, mysterious and dependable men. You know, tall and built with a really gentle and caring personality, I know” Geun Suk finished.

U-Know? Jaejoong thought.

“And you were nothing like that back then. You were a jerk who plays around with girls a lot.”

“True, I play with girls a lot but wasn’t a jerk. And besides I was lucky we didn’t date for real. If you did, I would be heart broken when you changed schools. And besides I’m too good for you.”

“Excuse me?” she crossed her arms over her chest acting offended. “And you’re saying you’re not a jerk?”

Geun Suk stuck his tongue out “You know I got it.”

Danmi  chuckled letting Geun Suk win a round. “Oh, aren’t you busy? Is it alright for you to be here?” she asked giving him the cup of ice cream.

Let’s see, he has two meeting to attend and three contracts to read and sign before tomorrow. “No it’s alright; I’ve got nothing to do.” No way is he leaving her here with flower boy.

 

Jiji purred and meowed as s soon as they got home. It was almost dark when they left Geun Suk’s place. It took more time than Jaejoong what Jaejoong had in mind.  He wanted to leave and actually said that they’re going first but Danmi insisted on staying and said that he could go first making him sink back to his seat. He’s not leaving that place without her.

Loosening his tie “Don’t go there anymore.”

“What?”

“You heard me.”

“I heard you but I assume you were joking” her tone rose. It’s not like she goes there every day. She’s only helping and in a few days the studio would be finish and she probably won’t be going there anymore anyways but forbidding her to go is just stepping over the line.

 “Because I said so.” Jaejoong said sternly replying with the same tone.

“You’re saying that I should stop seeing my friends just because YOU said so.” she said sarcastically. “You really want me to go with that?!”

 “Danmi I’m your husband. I have the right to say such things and forbid you in some ways.”

“Are you serious?” she gaped. “You’re forbidding me to see my friends. What? You expect me to stay here all day and wait for you when you get back. I know we’re married and all but I still have a life. Watching TV, cleaning the house, playing with Jiji I could do all those for a couple of days but not every single day!” she wasn’t yelling. She was told to never scream at your spouse but her voice wasn’t that low either.

“I don’t like it! I don’t like you meeting your friends one after another without me knowing. Besides what if other people found out about it? You know how well the media fabricate things.”

“So you want me to report everything I do, whoever I meet to you? Am I a criminal? Since when did you become a dictator Mr. Adolf Hitler?”

“It’s not like that, arrghh” he ran his hands through his hair in frustration, a habit he had when he’s stress out. And lately he’s been doing that a lot. “I just don’t want you meeting random guys that I don’t know about!”

“Are you jealous?” she asked in a surprised tone.

“I’m not.”

“Are you sure? Because it seems to me that you are” she pushed on.

“Danmi, you’re my wife. You want me to smile seeing you being all chummy and close with some stranger?” maybe he’s jealous, but never is he going to admit it. “You think I’m that heartless?”

Seeing that he is indeed jealous Danmi’s heart did a little flip, a smile appearing on her face. She linked her arms on his smiling from ear to ear. She stared at him without saying a word, relishing the feeling making Jaejoong fidget under her gaze. “Aww, my jagiya’s jealous. So cute.” She taunted.

Brushing her arm away and taking a seat “shut up!” he mumbled looking away hiding his tomato face. He’s gotta admit, the ‘my jagiya’ part give him some butterflies on the stomach.

“Aww, are you really this cute?” she giggled taking a seat beside him and trying to pinch his cheek and see his blushing face. Clearly this is really amusing and fun for her.

“Just stop going and meeting people I don’t know about.” He stated crossing his arms on his chest facing her with a serious expression on.

“No way that’s going to happen. You are not the boss of me. You can’t tell me what to do and what not” not wanting to get things out of hand she sighed deeply calming down, her back sinking to the sofa. “What am I supposed to do? Yunho, Yoochun, Changmin and Junsu are also busy with their lives. And I don’t want to bother them anymore.”

“You’ve been eating out with them?” that hasn’t reached his ear before.

“Yeah, they’re complaining already, well except Changmin but he’s scraping my wallet empty. I don’t think I could afford his company anymore.”

“Then find a hobby or something. Go to grow plants, arrange flowers, make a fun club or something.” Well that’s what he saw wife on drama’s do.

Is he ing serious? “I want to work”

“What?”

“You heard me. This might surprise you but I’m actually smarter than you give me credit for. And I’m not some sick person who has to stay at home and peel apples for you.” She said with full confidence.

“But you don’t have to work. We are filthy rich for s sake. Can’t you just go shopping and do charities like other chaebol’s wives?”

“You know I’m not like those pricks. Kim Jaejoong!” her voice stern and steady “Are you really telling me to be a dog who bark whenever you want? Me? Seo Danmi? Do you think I’ll let you control me? I think you forgot who you are talking to.” Now, she’s mad.

Why did it become like this. It’s not what he intended. He just doesn’t want her seeing another guy. Why is she being difficult? “Fine, work. But it has to be in my company. It would be a great insult if others found out that the wife of the CEO’s working for another company. And it--”

“Ok.” She cut off. He was taken back at her response and sudden change of tone. “I’ll work at your company.”

That was fast, he thought she would disagree and insist on working outside. “I’ll tell my secre--”

Suddenly she smiled widely like she won a battle. “No need. I already arranged everything. I’ll start working the day after tomorrow.” She smiled and kissed him on the cheek before retreating back to her room. “Nice talking to you. We should do this some other time. Good night.”

“Huh?” the look in Jaejoong’s place was just between disbelief and mortified. Did he just get played?