Ch 29: I'm not a saint

Loving You Is Not An Easy Thing To Do

Chapter 29: Calm before the storm

 

“Good morning” Jaejoong greeted before pulling his chair. “Some bread please.”

 

“I cooked rice. It’s better.” Danmi said as she puts the rice and other side dishes in front of him. “But I prefer breads, pancakes and cereals in the morning” He argued back.

“Just eat what’s in front of you. Don’t be picky.” “But -”

“Eat” Adding some glaring eyes did the trick, like he said before Danmi is not a morning person. Raising the white flag, “you don’t have work today right? Why are you all dressed up?”

“I’m meeting a friend of mine.”

 

“Friend?” he looked at her waiting for a more detailed explanation. Obviously she woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning but Jaejoong just won’t let go that easily. “It’s not a guy right?”

 

Instead of an answer, he got a glare instead. Her stare gave him shivers that he choke and immediately reach for a glass of milk. He doesn’t want to push his luck and decided that he’s late for work. “Thank you for the food. I have to go bye.” He said quickly kissing her cheek and grabbing his things.

 

 

“You can’t come inside. You don’t have an agashi, agashi” he heard his secretary.

 

“Oppa!” Cha Minjung, the daughter of one of the boards squealed. “Are you avoiding me? Why aren’t you answering my calls?”

 

Jaejoong’s brows furrowed .He doesn’t want to deal with her now, no make that never. “Minjung ah, I told you I’m already married.”

 

“And I said that I don’t care!” she bombarded. “I know you were married when I ed you. It’s not any different from now.”

 

Ushering his secretary to let her be, “No. it’s different because she’s back now and it would really be inappropriate to see you again.”

 

“But you said that it’s okay because you don’t love her. So you suddenly changed your mind and love her?”

 

“It’s not like that” he tried to reason to her. She’s not such some he could just talk down to and throw dirty words so that she would go away “I can’t treat her like that anymore.”

 

“So you’re gonna throw me like some rag after you used me! Yah Kim Jaejoong, I know you’re all that but you can’t treat me like this!” She’s right she’s one step higher, not that far if you ask him. “You can’t treat me like I’m just like all those you slept with.”

 

“Jaejoong, What’s up man” The door suddenly opened but somehow Jaejoong already got used to it.

 

“Cha Minjung?” Yoochun didn’t expect he would see her when he decided to visit.

 

“Yoochun, don’t you know how to knock?” why is he having uninvited guest all of a sudden? Is it mess up with Jaejoong day? Today’s totally not his day.

 

“Minjung ah its’ n--” the dandy guy didn’t even get to finish with his words as she already stormed out intentionally bumping on him in his way out. “What was all that about?”

 

Jaejoong grimaced as he took a seat with Yoochun following behind. “She was mad that I don’t call her anymore.”

 

“Should’ve called me instead, if you ask me.” Yoochun shrugged. “You must be happy I came to your rescue.”

 

“What are you doing here? don’t you have somewhere you need to be?” he asked him instead.

 

“How come she didn’t call me instead” they’re talking but it’s like on the same page at all. “chun—“

The younger made himself comfortable on the sofa. “You’re right. She;s not worth the trouble

 

He closed the files he was looking at and leaned back on his chair. “Yoochun”

 

“I know. I should be thankful. She’s REALLY not worth the trouble at all. ”

 

“Park Yoochun!” he doesn’t want to hear any of his rants right now. In fact, if it’s about Cha Minjung he doesn’t want to hear it, ever. “Like I said, don’t you have work? What are you doing here?”

 

“I am working.” Crossing his legs as Jaejoong joined him in the sofa in the middle of his office “For your information I came here for business purposes.” Park industries and Kim Holdings have good relationship bonded by friendship that started from their parents. Actually, the reason that nobody wants to mess with any of them five of them is that they back each other up. You pick a fight on one and you got four more to deal with. “And since I’m a really good friend, I decided to come by your office and check if you’re still breathing.”

 

“Geeze, I’m very thankful.” Jaejoong responded sarcastically.

 

“Of course. I came here to save you from your Mt. Fuji paper work. See how nice I am.”

 

Jaejoong can’t help but laugh he is truly grateful of his presence. But as much he wants to stay he still have to finish Mt. Fuji paper work because if he stops it would be Mt. Everest tomorrow. “Don’t you have some place where you need to be?”

 

“Aiish Jaejoong ah, you can’t be like that.” he clutched his heart as if the elder’s word hurt him. “How could you be so mean? I knew it. Staying coop up in an office the life out of any body, you is no exception.” He shook his head side to side with arm crossed in his chest. “That’s why I came here, to entertain you so you could at least take a breather.”

 

This is one of the reasons Jaejoong loves he’s friends. As annoying as they are, they always got his back no matter what.

 

(^+^)(^0^)(^+^)

 

“I didn’t know you guys are into that?” Danmi said before sipping her drink.

 

“Yeah, don’t be surprised but I’m an angel sent from above.” Junsu clasped his hands as if praying and looking above like he has a halo on. “Just call me Angel Junsu.”

 

“There’s no angel as big head as yours.” She laughed pushing Junsu a bit as they were sitting next to each other.

 

Yunho laughed along as he watched the two. “We’re new to this and have no idea where to start, so we’re asking for your help.”

 

“Alright, so let me get things straight. You two are putting up a scholarship.” The two nodded their heads like bob heads while sipping their drink like kids. “Under whose name? Your family’s?

Company’s ? or Yours?” The look the two gave her made it obvious that they’re clueless of the implications of her given choices. They were born with golden spoons on their mouth. Money was something they were never short on. It would be even stranger if they are familiar with the concept of scholarship. It’s for poor people who can’t pay after all. Rich people don’t concern themselves with such things. They don’t know how reality works.

 

“It’s better if it’s under your name. Time wise and Tax legality wise.”

 

“Yeah we’ll take that.” both answered at the same time as they pointed they’re fingers in nowhere in particular.

 

They talked like she‘s selling them insurance. “So what type?” “Type?” Junsu asked.

“There are a lot of students looking for a scholarship and it would be a lot easier if you narrow it down.”

 

Yunho leaned back as he was seating opposite Junsu and Danmi. “I’m fine with anybody. Just make sure that they work hard and deserve it.”

 

“Then why don’t we require a maintaining grade.” Danmi proposed in which the agreed. “But we still have to narrow it down. It would be easier. And it’s not like your running for candidacy. Only politicians trying to look good grants scholarships just to anybody.”

 

“What do you suggest?” Junsu asked.

 

“Well is there something that you like or feel passionate about? It could be based on what the student is good at. If it’s studying then it’s an academic scholarship, if its sports then it could be a varsity scholarship. It’s up to you guys.”

 

“How about soccer.” Junsu looked like he discovered electricity. “I can grant scholarship to those in the soccer team or basketball team or just anybody that on the school’s varsity.” Danmi nodded in agreement.

 

“I’ll take the academic one.” For the record, she’s still not selling insurance. “They just have to maintain their grades. Could they work for me after they graduate?” Yunho asked.

 

“Yes, you could make it a clause in the contract that they have to work for your company for a few years after they graduate. They could do internship too and be a part timer on vacations. It just has to be stated clearly in the contract. It’s actually a good investment. If you hired them then you’d be sure to get the top A’s students in the class. You won’t have hard time looking for good employees that that will be an asset for your company.”

 

Junsu looked like he lost. “I’ll take that too.” Still not selling anything here. “Why didn’t you say that before!”

 

“You didn’t ask.” She answered him in a mocking tone. Junsu’s childishness makes her childish too. “I’ll take care of the rest. You don’t have to worry about it. I’ll just make a few calls.”

 

“Sure, but right now let’s eat.” Yunho straightened his back as the waited came in and set the food on the table.

 

One of the signs that you’re hungry is that you don’t talk when you eat and just eat continuously. And that was Danmi did until she felt a nudge on her leg. Yunho smiled mischievously as he motioned Danmi to look at Junsu. The sight made her laugh too. The soup is spilling from his spoon every time he would take a sip and the funny part is that the bowl isn’t even that far from him. Not able to contain it anymore, both freed their laughter.

 

“What?” Junsu’s clueless look just add fuel to the fire.

 

“Aigoo Junsu. You’re such a child. Here let me get it.” Danmi took a tissue and wiped Junsu’s shirt. “it’s better with some water.”

 

“I’ll go the restroom.” He stood up and turn his back but went back a few steps as if he changed his mind. “Aren’t you coming?” he asked Danmi with a serious look that made Danmi laugh even louder.

 

“Maybe next time.” Their laughter settled down as Junsu left for the sake of his Armani shirt.

 

“Now I see why the girls fall for his charm” Yunho stated. “Girls sure love a guy with a sense of humour.” “No it’s totally his duck .”

There goes another fits of laughter. “Duck ?”

 

Danmi smiled from ear to ear. “Haven’t you checked out his ? It’s totally Jjang!” she gave two thumbs up. “He makes girls envious of that .”

 

“He does have a good .” Yunho nodded as if he gave it a lot of consideration. “Speaking of butts” Danmi leaned in excitement on Yunho’s story telling. It’s not every day a guy disses on his pals and tells her a few dirty secrets of theirs. “We’re on this elevator and it’s full so were kinda cramping on each other. Then someone touched my and not like pat or tap but like this” he motioned with his hands like he was crumpling a piece of paper. “At first I didn’t know who it was and thought that it’s just some stranger but it happened a few times after that. Then one time it happened again and it wasn’t even crowded. Junsu was the only one standing next to me. And when I looked at him he said ‘What? Did our relationship changed?’”

 

Danmi laughed until she gasped for air. She clutched her stomach in pain as Yunho kept repeating the enactment of what Junsu said. “And mind you it’s not just me. Jaejoong, Changmin and Yoochun said that it happened to them to and Junsu said the same thing to them ‘What? Did our relationship changed?’” Danmi threw in another fits of laughter as Yunho joined him. She felt like she went to the gym and did sit ups as she clenched her stomach laughing.

 

Their laughter was almost dying down when Junsu came back “so what did I miss?” and that started another fits of laughter.

 

(-_-)

 

“How is it?” Jaejoong asked as he waited for Danmi’s response. “Delicious” she declared flatly as she took another mouthful.

“You have no appreciation at all. I’ll never cook for you again.” Jaejoong clicked his tongue moping.

 

Danmi sighed before putting on a sarcastic smile. “neomu neomu Neeeoomu MAA! The best thing my mouth has ever tasted and will ever taste.” she took a big bite and gave him a thumbs up “satisfied?”

 

“All right, I’m good.” He smiled even as she rolled her eyes at him. Ever since Danmi started working the things that needed to be done are divided between the two of them. There weren’t a lot since they are both grown up who spent most of their time outside and are only home at night and a few hours in the day. Also they made an agreement on a few things. They alternately took turns on whose going to cook for the entire day and if the other cooks, the other does the dishes. It became like a regular routine to them.

 

At first Jaejoong whined like a kid who didn’t get to eat ice cream but his complaints and girly whines didn’t worked on his wife. But later on he got used to it and actually looked forward to it. He looked forward to cooking for her. He even does research and they even bought a few recipe book. Both of them like to cook something new that eventually became a healthy competition. They were actually able to converse more during meals and while the other does the dishes and the other cleans the table. They would talk about anything and everything. They would tease each other and honestly express their opinion. Naturally they’ve become closer.

 

Saturday, that means it’s the day they have to clean the whole house. And that makes Saturday not Jaejoong’s favourite day. “Come on, we’ve already talked over this.”

 

“Why can’t we just hire a house keeper?” Jaejoong complained holding a rag.

“I told you I don’t like strangers coming in and out of our house.” Danmi explained for the nth time. “I have no problem with strangers coming and going. Why do I have to suffer like this?” Now that he

thought about it. What he said might just made things worst. Strangers coming and going were actually a normal scenario when he still lives alone. A perfect example is the day when Danmi came back and found him preoccupied in bed with someone.

 

“Really Jaejoong?” That just took all the ray of sunshine Danmi had for the day. “So disgusting.”

 

He tried to explain and save himself from drowning but Danmi heard none of it. “I didn--, I mean there weren’t that many—, I mean it’s not like th--” She threw him the broom but he was caught off guard so the stick hit him in the forehead. That moment Jaejoong learn that he should never complain to his wife about chores.

 

They’ve already finished cleaning the entire house since the place only needs a few dusting here and there. Right now they’re driving to the grocery store to but their necessities for the week. And ever since then Danmi still hasn’t utter a word to him. At first Jaejoong brush it off; let her have tantrums a voice in his head said. But later he realized that what he said was below the belt. Wait, I didn’t even say anything! He didn’t do anything wrong. Well actually he did, but that’s beside the point and its not about what he did it’s about uhhm? Huh? What? Note to self: talking to self is not good for one’s self.

 

“If you want I can cook for tonight” he offered since it’s her turn to cook. In his point of view he was being nice and humble or you can call it a peace offering since he’s too proud to apologize for something that he shouldn’t be sorry for but basically he bribed her. It didn’t work. “Or we could just eat out tonight” still no response, she watched the buildings go by. Okay being nice didn’t work, should he try another?

 

“Don’t tell me you’re jealous?” he laughed but it soon died down as she glanced at him and glared with eyes saying ‘you go and kill yourself’. Wrong move, that just made it worst. How come that when guys get jealous it’s cute but when girls get jealous it’s like world war 3 is about to start? Okay, okay he read that quote on twitter but it’s totally applicable in this situation.

 

When they arrived at the supermarket Danmi immediately went for the push cart and started strolling not even bother to glance at Jaejoong. They’ve been shopping for who knows how long since Jaejoong felt it was decades already and she’s still giving him the silent treatment. So now he’s getting pissed. It’s not like he said anything wrong, he only did something wrong! “Come on Danmi, it’s not cute anymore! It doesn’t matter.”

 

“What if I told you that I slept with someone before?” That totally caught him off guard. The thought never even passed his mind. “What if I did?”

 

“You can’t, I mean you woul--”

 

“What if I did?” She cut him off. “I’ve been abroad for five years. You slept with strangers that I doubt you were able to keep track on how many. What makes you think that I wasn’t capable of doing the same thing? I am no saint you know.”

 

He has never thought of it. He honestly, truthfully NEVER has thought of it. That’s why he’s sweating ice right now. She’s right. What makes him think that she couldn’t? “Sleeping with someone, it doesn’t matter right?” she repeated what he said.

 

“It doesn’t” his voice depleting with every word.

 

“So I guess it doesn’t matter if I sleep around.” She muttered but deep inside she felt like her heart fell to her feet. Her body moved and continued to push the kart but she didn’t feel she was doing anything. Her sense felt numb and all she felt was the pain in her chest. It doesn’t matter, she doesn’t matter, she doesn’t matter at all. Sh----

 

“I NEVER SAID THAT YOU COULD SLEEP AROUND!!!!!” He pulled back so suddenly and abruptly that she almost lost her ground if it weren’t for him holding her arms, not so gently if she might add. Seeing his grip was hurting he let her arm go together with a deep breath. “Just drop it Danmi. I don’t want to talk about this anymore.” He stated before turning his back on her.

 

The ride back home wasn’t any better. A needle could drop and it could sound like an atomic bomb. Each was left to their own thoughts. The cold war continued as they both ate quietly at breakfast and separated for work.

 

Jaejoong sighed as he took his seat in his office. He just got to the office and still hasn’t dealt with Mt. paperwork and he already has a headache. It’s all her fault. “Why is she making this a big deal anyway? It’s not like I lied to her.” But their conversation is like a shower on winter with no heater. The time she lived abroad, the things she did, the people she met, he doesn’t know about any of it. What if she really did play around for a little? A lot? The mere thought makes him want to throw his name plate on the window. Not a good idea since the building is about 40 floors high and he’s somewhere on top, that would probably be a big mess with police and possibly ambulances so he held back.

 

Come on! It’s Seo Danmi we’re talking about. It’s his wife we’re talking about. She would never do such a thing. She’s not like any other girl. She’s a good girl. He should never doubt her. Even if the others girls in their society are like that, not her, simply not her. She would never cheat on him. Never.

 

“Sir you got a package delivered for you. It’s in your desk already.” His secretary said through the intercom.

 

“Thanks” he didn’t even notice the yellow envelop. Once he opened the letter he already regretted doing so. “Come here!” he shouted at the intercom and in a few seconds his secretary is already standing in front of him with knees shaking. “Who sent this?”

 

“I don’t know sir. It doesn’t have the name or address of the recipient.”

 

“Then find out who sent this! And don’t accept any packages with blank sender anymore! Go!” his secretary bowed and left like he was about to continue a marathon after a short break.

 

His wife would never cheat on him and his best friend won’t betray him, right?