Ch 1: If You Can’t Beat Them Join Them

Loving You Is Not An Easy Thing To Do

Chapter 1: If You Can’t Beat Them Join Them

“So that’s your father’s punishment? Isn’t that too much?” Yunho took a seat beside Jaejoong who already drinking his third glass of martini.

“Getting arrested for having in public and having your pixelated in every Korean newspaper really pushed your father to his limits.” Yoochun couldn’t wipe the taunting smile on his face as he toss a newspaper to Jaejoong’s direction. “What did your mom say?’

“She didn’t say anything, heck even I couldn’t say anything. My father’s so mad his face was red and I was afraid he’ll have a heart attack. ! I really screw up this time” He ran his fingers through this perfectly styled hair in exasperation.

“No kidding. You screw up big time” Yunho added earning a glare from the eldest.

“Hey it’s not my fault. That chick suddenly threw herself at me. She can’t wait to get her hands of me” Jaejoong smirked earning a few chuckles from his friends.

“Just say that you also like it. You liked the adrenaline of risk getting found and people seeing you.” Changmin said all knowingly.

“You tried it before?” Yunho raised a brow to which Changmin ignored like he heard nothing as he took a sip of his drink.

“Did you say no?” Junsu asked.

“No, I wanted to but abeoji gave me this look and I’m afraid if I push further he’ll get a heart attack. So I just shut my mouth. Eomma also told me not to talk because that would make things worse.”

“So when are you going to meet sister in law?” Junsu asked a little too excited for Jaejoong’s comfort.

“Tomorrow night at dinner in the Seo’s residence and don’t call her that” answered Jaejoong irritably.

“Why not? She’s going to be the future Mrs. Kim after all”

“I’m not gonna marry her! I have Yuri, I love Yuri!” Jaejoong shouted smashing his glass on the table, the alcohol finally having its effect on him.

“But she doesn’t want to get married. She doesn’t even want anyone to know your dating.” Seeing Jaejoong loose his head, Yunho was clearly amused.  The five of them knows that being rich means that you just can’t date anyone who doesn’t belong in the same social class or wasn’t raised with the same upbringing. Even as a child the five of them already know of that truth. They already expected that they’ll be match make to someone with the same upbringing. But seeing it happening in front of his eyes is definitely entertaining.

“And I doubt your parents would like her. She isn’t really wife material” added Yoochun. Yuri is a sweet and nice girl but being in the spotlight and growing up in the entertainment industry made her manners and behaviour not really mother-in-law or father-in-law friendly.

Jaejoong gulped another glass of Martini; he decided that he’ll worry about hangover in the morning “I don’t care. They can’t make me do something I don’t want to do”

“Actually hyung they could. They are your parents and they’ll disown you if you don’t and from what I heard I think they really won’t let you off this time.” Changmin know his hyung’s very well, they grew up together. He knows that Jaejoong can’t leave without his parents money, not any of them could. It’s the lifestyle they were born with, the only life they know how to live.

 

Jaejoong sat in the car as their chauffeur drive him to the Seo’s residence where their ‘family dinner’ would be held. He gazed at the tinted window deep in thought as the lights and cars pass by without him even noticing. The event earlier played on his mind

 

He glanced at his wrist watch for 4rth time as he waited for Yuri at the café they always meet. An hour and half later than their agreed time Yuri’s silhouette Jaejoong would recognize anywhere even with a jacket and a cap on finally entered the small door.

“Got stuck with filming.” She said as she took her usual seat at their usual table. “Oppa, I told you I couldn’t make it today why did you insist? Is there something wrong?” she didn’t remove her cap or her glasses afraid that someone would recognize her.

Already used of her being late and talking like they should only talk what is needed to talk about. “Have you seen the papers?”

“Yeah that. I was gonna call you after I’ve seen the paper but my manager called and it skipped my mind after that.”

“Are you mad?”

“What do you think? Jae it’s painful to know you’re sleeping with some out there but because I know you have needs and I can’t satisfy them, I’m willing to turn a blind eye. But it still hurts to see you drunk ing some in some dark dirty alley in a cheap bar.”

“I’m sorry. I haven’t seen you in months. I was stressed and frustrated, I didn’t know what I was thinking.” Jaejoong’s eyes lowered as his voice reflect guilt. Yuri is the perfect girl and everything Jaejoong could ask for. She’s smart, talented, caring and has self-respect. That’s why they haven’t slept together before. She said that making love is only for married couple and that she didn’t want to make a mistake that would put her blooming career and life in jeopardy.

“Seriously Jaejoong? in public? Can’t you have some decency? Your parents would be so disappointed in you. What would they say?”

“They said that I should get married.”

“What?”

“They said that I should get married so that my image would change and the public would like me more. Abeoji said that the BOD and shareholders are talking about my behaviour and at this state I would have a hard time inheriting the company. Even if we have the largest shares of stocks in the corporation that doesn’t guarantee that I’ll be inheriting the CEO position. If I don’t get on the stockholders good side or at least majority of them they could propose a change and if it’s voting surely I’ll lose.”

“So your parents want you to get married now?”

“Not now NOW, maybe sometime in the future. But they want assurance. They want someone who could fill the spot so all the rumours and issue would stop. They said that I need a steady stick to one image. Yuri, honey can’t we just reveal our relationship to the public?”

Yuri held his hand in hers as pearls of tears start to form in her eyes making Jaejoong feel guilty for even asking a question with an obvious answer. “Jae, you know I can’t. I’ll be casted in a new drama. My career’s just starting I don’t have a solid foundation yet. You know this is my dream ever since I was a kid. This is all I’ve ever dreamed of and it’s finally starting to come true. I can’t give up my dreams Jae, know that.”

“I know” Jaejoong sighed and feel dejected. He took a sip from his 3rd drink ever since he stepped in the café thinking how he would tell Yuri about the arranged marriage. “Yuri love, I have som---”

“Hello?” Yuri answered her phone as she held a hand in front of Jaejoong motioning for him to keep quiet. “deh, deh, aniyo. I’ll be right there.” The moment the call ended she grabbed her bag and stood up. “Jae I have to go. My manager’s already screaming her head off. Is there anything more we need to talk about?” The look Yuri gave him showed that she can’t stay even for a second more.

“Nothing more” Jaejoong sighed in defeat.

“Great, I’m so happy I could meet you even just for a short time. Seeing your face takes all of the stress and tiredness away.” Her angelic voice whispered in his ear as he gave her a big hug and a kiss on the cheek before leaving and waving goodbye.

How could he not love her? How could he ask her to give up what she wants the most? She’s passionate at what she does and she never asks him for anything. She’s a strong and independent woman and that’s what made him fall for her, fall hard. That’s why he settled for what she could give. He learnt to be content to her short messages that are only one’s in a while. He learnt to enjoy their dates that only last for four hours. He even learnt to appreciate the day of the month when she can spend the day with him.

Their chauffeur voice broke Jaejoong’s thoughts “young master we are here.”

“Jaejoong ah, what took you so long? I’ve been calling you but you’re not answering.”

“Mian eommonim, I left my phone at home” he lied. He actually saw his phone vibrating but was not in the mood to answer.

“It’s alright; kids are like these days right Danmi?” a girl about the same age as Jaejoong gave a small smile. “Jaejoong, why don’t you take a seat?” Mrs. Seo as what Jaejoong remember from his mom said.

The adults talk among themselves while the youngsters eat in silence. “They’re still in high school, I don’t think it would be good for them to get married now” her mother stated. Jaejoong spirits lifted, maybe there’s still a chance he can get out of this.

“Nonsense, they are going to get married eventually. Why not do it as soon as possible so that they can already adjust to each other. It would be better if they get used to being each other’s halves at a young age.” Jaejoong’s father wasn’t kidding when he said that he had enough. He is a man of his word and like a king his words are law and as strong as stone.

“I agree with you. If we wait till they are older it would be more difficult for them to compromise with each other’s personality” Mrs. Seo added. Apparently Mr. and Mrs. couldn’t wait for their daughter to marry into the Kim’s. Not really surprising for Jaejoong, he is the complete package after all.

“And with this marriage the Seo and Kim will be one family” Mrs. Seo smiled. It’s all about business after all. The Kim’s and the Seo’s are biggest competitors. Their business goes from malls, food chains to real estates and hotels. They are competitors from the drinks you buy on vending machines to cars and houses. And merging their companies would semi-monopolize the economy of Korea. There’s a saying that goes if you can’t beat them, join them and both Mr. Kim and Mr. Seo believes so.

“Why don’t we leave the young one’s so they could talk among themselves?” Mr. Kim suggested and the four adults immediately left the room.

After they left the room Jaejoong put his chopsticks down and stared at the girl sitting across him. She kept eating her meal just like before like she was along in the room not even sparing him a glance. Jaejoong studied her not even caring if it’s rude to stare. She sat with her back straight eating peacefully and gracefully. Her long hair that reaches her waist was put in a soft curl. Her skin is blemish free and seems to shine with the yellow light from the chandelier. Her aura screams sophistications and elegance like everything about her was thought to her. Describing her as beautiful would be an understatement. As expected from a girl coming from a wealthy family she didn’t fail his expectation.

Jaejoong couldn’t believe it. They’re having this predicament and she’s eating dessert. How could she keep calm with a poker face plastered on her face? How could she even ignore him even though he was even making it obvious that they need to talk and that she needs to acknowledge his presence. He has never met a girl that’s so stoic and cold. He met a LOT and slept with the few either but this girl is definitely one of a kind.

Minutes and minutes passed and neither of them talked. Jaejoong kept staring at her waiting to get any reaction from her but the girl just kept eating her dinner peacefully like she was alone in the room. Seeing that they’re not going to talk anytime soon and that there are a lot of places he’s rather be than in this room Jaejoong stood up and left without a word leaving her still eating.