Chapter 38

Our Times Together

I held my breath as Seungri spoke.

"Remember...the last time you guys visited?"

"Yes, what about it?" His dad pressed.

Here it comes, I told myself. I bit my lip, shaking slightly.

"Yu Ri and I broke up after you left."

I know now why they say silence can weigh down on you. Because after Seungri trailed off, I heard nothing. Nothing but silence. Anything would've been better, even if they were yelling. But not a sound was made. It was worse since I couldn't see. Even their facial expressions could've given me a clue as to their reaction, but I wasn't even granted that. After awhile, I was starting to worry that I'd gone deaf too, until I heard someone clear their throat.

"And who is this girl? I'm guessing your new girlfriend?" Mrs. Lee's voice was in no way pleasant.

Seungri took hold of my hand, gripping it protectively. "Yes, mom."

"What's wrong with her? Why is she in the hospital?" I flinched at her sharp question.

"She's temporarily blind," Seungri responded calmly.

A brief pause. Chairs being scraped back.

"We'll talk about this at home, son." His dad's low voice resonated through the room. And with a creak of the door, they were gone. We were left listening to their footsteps tapping their way down the hall.

I sat frozen, muscles rigid. Seungri exhaled slowly, his rugged breath audible in the quiet that suffocated me. He helped me over to my bed, where I shakily sat down.

Tucking my hair behind my ear, his fingers lingered by my cheek. I could just feel his gaze on me, studying my face.

"Sung Hyun—,"

His voice unfroze me, and my posture went slack. I felt a lump in my throat welling up, and I knew what was coming. No, stop it. Don't. Cry. I said don't—

The tears started flowing, and I was no longer in control. A sob broke out from my mouth, but it was as if I was an outsider watching somebody else control my body. I felt nothing inside, only a deep sense of despair and emptyness. Everything that had happened over the past few weeks; Yu Ri, the jealousy, the blood clots in my brain, and now his parents; everything just came crashing down on me in that one moment.

"Hey, hey." Seungri's arms were immediately around me, pulling me in. I gripped onto him tightly, sobbing into his chest while he made soft comforting noises into my ear.

"Look, to be honest, I don't know what they think of you," Seungri murmured gently in my ear. "But what I do know is that I'm not going to leave you either way."

I sobbed in reply since I didn't know how to respond with words, and he continued to comfort me while my heart dug out all of my buried emotions.

After I had settled down a bit, I opened my eyelids, which had been tightly (and painfully) shut during my mental break-down. With a sharp intake of breath, I blinked, once, twice. My mouth dropped open, and I slowly, ever so slowly tilted my head back to look at Seungri's face.

But that was the thing.

To look at his face.

...I could see again.

Seungri looked down at me, his features expressing his momentary confusion. "Sung Hyun?"

Despite the tears I had shed moments earlier, I broke out into an uncontrollable grin. "I CAN SEE!" I shrieked, standing up.

"WHAT? Really?!" He stood up, and I took hold of his hands, jumping up and down.

"YES! I can see!" I laughed, and his face went from surprise to a smile that lit up his entire face. He laughed along with me, winding his fingers through mine and pulling me closer. I grinned up at him, his sincere, brown eyes locked with mine. Then suddenly our faces were inches apart and he pulled me in for the longest, sweetest kiss we'd ever shared. My hands looped behind his neck and his soft, silky hair tickled my fingers while his lips held onto mine.

I pulled back first to come up for air. We were left breathless, just looking at each other with the stupidest grins.

And that was when I knew I couldn't have him.

 


Author's Note:

Hi. Yes. I know. It's almost been a year, hasn't it? A bit over 10 months to be exact. I owe a hugeeeeee apology to any readers who were really anticipating this chapter. Hopefully I still have readers LOL. The only excuse I have for not updating this earlier is that I had a bit (okay, a lot) of writer's block. But I really hope you guys like this chapter because I did a lot of it on the spot, and a ton of new ideas have popped into my head. You can expect the next chapter in less than 10 months now :)