Chapter 11

Our Times Together

I remember it just like it was yesterday.

Jae Young and I had gone to the same school before I had moved to CheongDong High. He was the exact opposite of SeungHyun. Except for the looks, that is. He was loud, obnoxious, but could be nice at times.

He wasn't that good looking before, but he was athletic. Last year, he was always following my friends and I around, teasing us, but mainly bothering me. At first, I had found him annoying, but after I got used to him, we eventually became good friends. At one point, I even had a small crush on him. My close friends could tell that he liked me, but he never asked me out. So, nothing really happened between us.

Now, right before my eyes, a new Jae Young stood, looking more mature and good looking than before. He looked so different that I hadn't recognized him before. He beamed at the rest of my classmates. I stared, my mouth wide open. Yet, he didn't notice me (not that I wanted him to). He just walked straight past, heading towards an empty seat at the other end of the room.

SeungHyun saw me staring, and he studied my face intently, trying to read my thoughts. Sighing, he turned back towards the front of the class, resting his chin on his palm. "What's so special about him, anyways...?" I heard him mumble.

~

After class, SeungHyun was helping me organize my notes into my binder when I heard a sharp shriek from the other side of the room, causing me to jump.

"SUNGHYUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNN!" Jae Young shouted for the longest time, running towards me.

When he finally reached me, he didn't stop. He hugged me, laughing. I stood there, stockstill, Jae Young still locking his arms around me. SeungHyun was in front of us, facing me with an amused look on his face. 

Jae Young finally released me, looking at me with a bright face. "It's been so long! I didn't know you came to CheongDong!"

"Yea..." I replied, scratching the back of my neck. I stared at him for a moment, a confused look on my face. "Jae Young, you've changed."

He laughed again. "Oh, I just changed my hair a bit, and sorta grew taller..." He grinned at me. 

"I see..." I answered, my gaze wandering over to SeungHyun for a second before returning back to Jae Young. "Hey, this is SeungHyun. He's my good friend." I gestured towards SeungHyun.

Jae Young turned around abruptly, facing SeungHyun. Slowly, step by step, he walked towards him, taking in SeungHyun's every detail, from his clothes to his face. Finally, he stopped when he was right in front of him. Cocking his head from side to side, he tilted SeungHyun's chin, looking at him from different angles. SeungHyun just stood there, looking confused.

Finally, Jae Young spoke up. "Hey." His eyes grew darker. "Don't you ever think of stealing Sung Hyun from me. She's mine."

My jaw dropped. What did he just say? For another long moment, Jae Young continued to fiercely stare into SeungHyun's soft but bold eyes, until suddenly, Jae Young's eyes brightened and he grinned a wide grin. He threw his head back, laughing really hard. "Yeesh, I was just kidding! You don't have to be so serious all the time!" He continued laughing, walking back towards me.

"C'mon Sung-ie, let's goooo!" He suddenly grabbed my wrist, dragging me out the classroom door. I stared back at SeungHyun, pleading with my eyes, asking him to help me.

SeungHyun met my eyes, nodding. "Hey! Um, Jae Young!"

Jae Young turned around. "Call me Jae." He grinned. 

"Um, okay, Jae...Sung Hyun and I were going to head to the cafeteria to eat, so would you mind......?"

Jae stood there for a moment, blank. "Ohh! Okay, I get it..." He smiled. "You two are DATING!" He pointed at the two of us.

"WHAT?!" SeungHyun and I both exclaimed. 

"No!" SeungHyun said.

"Of course not!" I shot back.

"We're just friends." SeungHyun said softly.

I looked at him for a moment, my heart aching a bit again. It was always hard to hear him say it himself, but I pushed it away. Now was not the time for tears. My focus turned back to our conversation.

"Oh," said Jae. "Okay, I get it now. Sorry," He put a hand up to his forehead, making a small apologetic gesture.

"Anyways," said SeungHyun. "Do you wanna eat lunch with us?"

Jae stood for a moment, a bit shocked. But then, his expression lightened, and he looked happy. "Okay!" He walked towards us and placed both of his arms around our shoulders, SeungHyun and I on either side of him. "Let's gooo!" He dragged us down the hallway towards the cafeteria.