Chapter 23

Our Times Together

You could probably guess what happened after that day.

At first, it was a bit awkward for the both of us. I'd never gone out with a guy before, and I wasn't too sure how to act around SeungHyun at first. 

A few days after we got together, SeungHyun noticed. 

And so, he told me,

"Just be yourself. We were friends before and we're still friends now, except we're closer," he spoke with a grin. "Just relax."

I listened to his words and I started acting like my old self again, laughing and talking with SeungHyun.

There was a problem though.

Jae.

Yes, I'd rejected his confession the day before my birthday. I can't help but feel guilty whenever I think of him.

"...I'm sorry, Jae..." I'd responded to him by looking down, avoiding eye contact with him.

We sat there for few moments in agonizing silence. I was afraid of how he would react.

"...is it SeungHyun?" He simply asked in a calm voice, unlike my expectation of an angry outburst.

I hesitated for a minute, but then finally nodded, still avoiding his eyes.

Jae let out a sigh. "Well, I was sort of expecting that. But there's nothing I can do about it."

I finally looked up at him. " I'm sorry, Jae..." I repeated.

He looked away from me. "No need. It's not your fault or anything. I'll move on." And with that, he stood up and left.

~

When I arrived to school the next week, SeungHyun was waiting for me at the front doors, like usual. 

"Hey!" I said as I walked up to him.

"Hey," he replied as he slung his arm around me and we walked into the school together. "You ready for the science test today?"

I turned to him with wide eyes. "There's a test today??" I pretended to hyperventilate.

He laughed. "It's okay, we can study together during lunch."

Oh yea. Science is after lunch. I sighed with relief. "Okay."

As we approached our crowded locker hallway, SeungHyun took his arm off of my shoulder and grabbed my hand, making me jump a bit.

"Don't wanna lose you again," he chuckled as we squeezed our way past other students.

In sight of my locker, I spotted someone waiting near it. My smile faded a bit as we got closer. The figure looked up, its arms folded. SeungHyun and I stopped in front of him.

"Jae..." I softly said.

He stared at our hands, interlocked. We quickly let go of each other.

"Are you guys..." He looked at us both with questioning eyes, though his expression was impossible to read.

SeungHyun and I exchanged glances for a fraction of a second, then looked down. We both nodded. I guess SeungHyun also felt guilty since he had asked me out the day after Jae had and succeeded.

Jae slowly nodded. "Okay." He looked at me. "Sung Hyun..."

"Eh?" I looked up, our eyes reluctantly meeting.

"I'm transferring back to our old school next week."

I stared. "What? How come?" I regretted it right after I said it. I knew the answer, of course. 

"Well, like I told you before, it's like my second home. And plus, I miss the others." He smiled. "Visit, will you?"

I nodded. "Of course."

"See you in class." I watched him walk off.

I sighed, turning back to SeungHyun. He was looking down at his feet, his face grim.

"SeungHyun?" I waved my hand in front of his face.

"...Do you think...he's moving because of us?" He slowly turned to look at me, his face worried.

"Maybe. But, he has been talking about missing our old school lately, so it's probably that too..." I trailed off.

"Ah well!" I perked up, smiling at him. "No need to worry about it now. I think he's going to move on," I reassured him.

"You think so?"

"I know so."

He finally gave me a smile.

"C'mon, let's go talk to the others before class starts!" I grabbed his hand and led him down the hallway.

But then, SeungHyun let go.

I was about to turn around when I felt his arms wrap around me from behind. 

"Hey!" I said, startled. He rested his chin on my shoulder.

"You know I love you right?"

Aish, that SeungHyun. Always catching me off guard.

Surprised, I looked away. "Yea..." I mumbled, a smile creep up on the edges of my lips.

He chuckled and let me go, heading towards his class.

"See you next block!" He beamed at me.

"Bye!" I waved, walking away.

~

We met at the library when the lunch bell rang.

I flew from my locker, grabbing my science textbook. I hated getting bad marks on anything. I arrived at SeungHyun's table, panting and wheezing, plopping down on the chair opposite him. My loud entry made him look up.

Placing my science textbook onto the table, I felt SeungHyun's eyes on me. I looked up at him.

"What?"

He pulled out the chair next to him, patting the seat. "Why don't you come over here?" He grinned.

I rolled my eyes but gave a small smile. Finally settling down in the chair next to him, we pulled out our science textbooks and started reviewing the past unit.

At one point, my eyes started to feel droopy. I rested my chin on the table, letting my eyelids relax. I knew I didn't want to fail the test, but I slept late the day before. A few minutes of sleep wouldn't hurt.

Bang! I jumped. SeungHyun had lightly slammed his textbook shut near my ear. On purpose.

"YAH! That hurt!" I exclaimed, rubbing my temples.

"SSHHHH!" The librarian passed by us, her fingers to her lips.

"Sorry," I sheepishly whispered. Turning back to SeungHyun, I was about to complain some more when he cut me off.

"Hey, I'm just helping you here. You know you should study." He opened up his textbook again, finding the right page.

Pouting, I glared at him, but I knew he was right. And so, I turned back to my books, soaking up as much as I could before the bell rang.

We walked to our science classroom together, quizzing each other quickly on the way there. 

As we took our seats and the teacher handed out our tests, he quickly whispered to me,

"Good luck," he grinned.

"You too," I chuckled and began writing.