The Emergency Room

My Everything Is Yours

 

When I woke up, I was in an ambulance. I knew because we were moving and I can hear the sound of a siren overhead. When I tried to get up, the paramedic pushed me down.

 

Suzy was there beside one of the paramedics, crying. I wanted to ask what was wrong but I couldn’t get myself to talk. A few minutes later, the ambulance was coming to a stop and I felt myself being dragged across. I managed to say “I’m okay” before they rolled me in the emergency room.

 

 

Then everything that happened came crashing down on me.

 

“Jay!” I shouted, making everybody shift his or her eyes towards me. I tried to get off the stretcher but the nurse kept pushing me down.

 

“Please, miss. The doctors would have to check you up. You have to stay there,” she said before putting a firm hand over my arms and seriously pushed me down. “Can I ask you your name?” she said.

“I- uh, I- I’m Yoona Im,” I managed to say amidst my tears. All I could think about was Jay. I didn’t know what happened to him after the shooting. And I had to know.

“Alright Ms. Im. You have to remain here until the doctors check on you. There had been a big car accident and a lot of people are being rushed in so we’re a bit short on staff. Are you feeling hurt anywhere?” she asked.

“N- No. Not particularly.” Although, my head seemed to be almost exploding, I didn’t want to give the nurse a reason to detain me.

“Alright. A doctor will come to you as soon as one is available but you will have to stay here for a while. Is there anybody I can call for you?” she asked.

I searched the crowd and saw Jonghun, Nicole and Gain running towards me. I remembered Suzy was with me but I lost her in the crowd.

“No, I- I’ll call on my own,” I answered the nurse.

“Alright. Just ask for me if you need anything, alright?” she said before leaving me to attend the woman beside me with a severe cut on her forehead.

“Ohmygod Miss Yoona,” Nicole blurted out with tears running down her face.

“I- I’m fine Nicole. Wh- Where’s S- Suzy?” I asked.

“We saw her by the entrance Miss Yoona,” Gain said, her mascara was ruined. “You know she’s afraid of blood.”

“I- Uh- Oh god. What happened? There were gun shots. What happened to Chansung? What about Jay?” I asked hurriedly. Chansung was still my friend and I would not want him dead because of me.

Jonghun was the one who spoke, “I was informed that Sir Jay’s operation is on-going. Your attacker is also currently being operated at.”

“Oh god what happened?” I asked panicking.

“Well Ma’am, after I shot at his leg, he went down and shot at my direction. Managed to shoot a policeman,”

I gasped.

“He was wearing a bulletproof vest and so there wasn’t much damage,” Jonghun continued.

“But it could have been you,” I said teary-eyed. Well, I have grown fond of the man.

“His aim was too far to hit me. I am just a bit ashamed I was not able to warn the people behind me. I assumed there weren’t anybody foolish to actually stand there,” he shook his head. At that moment, I had never been so grateful to Jonghun that I actually pulled him over and hugged him.

“Thank you thank you thank you. I can never thank you enough for saving me,” I said.

When I let go of him, his face was so red I thought he was bleeding.

“I- Uh, I I was just do- doing my job, Ma’am,” he stuttered. He managed to regain his composure and said, “Anyway, because of that, the policemen fired at him. Managed to put two bullets in, aside from mine. Although they say no vital organs were hit, just a shot to his shoulder and his arm, they said he was losing too much blood. I was informed that he is to be questioned and arrested after he recovers from the surgery. He was already handcuffed to the bed when they brought him in so he is not a danger anymore,”

“Oh god,” was all I managed to say.

 

As if on cue, the nurse from before arrived and began shooing them away. Jonghun insisted he stayed and after a talk with the nurse, including showing his ID, the nurse finally obliged. After getting all the information she needed from me, she summoned a doctor to check me up.

 

 

Fully convinced that there was nothing wrong with me aside from my splitting headache and the tenderness I felt in my limbs, the doctors finally cleared me to go. They gave me a prescription for pain killers and instructed me to come back as soon as I feel something else is wrong.

Jonghun escorted me outside and found all my friends standing by the emergency door. Although Jonghun was stopping them from getting to me, he gave them the pass when I asked him to. Although Chansung was a friend, I was pretty sure none of the people in front of me wanted to put a bullet in me. I mean, certainly not the ever-innocent Maria.

 

I gave them a few reassurances that I was alright. After a few more persuasions that they can go home and I can manage, they finally left the hospital grounds.

 

I was about to go in and start looking for Jay when Gain stopped me and handed over her phone. I can hear my mom’s hysterical voice from the other line. After explaining what happened and giving a million reassurances that I was fine and I needed to go and see if Jay is alright, they told me that they were boarding the next hour. In fact, my dad actually called up the company pilot and arranged to be flown directly to New York in an hour. My brother was coming the first thing in the morning. It was fortunate he had no access to company transportation in England or he’d be here faster than my parents.

Before I can say my goodbyes, anxious to look for Jay, my mom said in a troubled tone, “Darling, I- well, we hope you don’t mind.”

I could hear Dad whispering in the background and mom’s sneering. I asked, “What about Mom?”

“We- well, alright, I told Donghae what happened,” she said slowly.

“What?” I asked. Aside from the fact I didn’t hear clearly what she said, I have no idea why she told Donghae. He’ll be too hysterical, blaming me for staying back and all. I was planning to call him once I knew what’s happening with Jay so I could at least give some good news.

“Oh I’m sorry honey. It was just that, I was with Taeyeon when your father called and well of course we were both so worried I nearly had a heart attack. She called Dong Wook and I called your brother. We contemplated about calling Donghae and just did. You know he loves you so much. I mean, yes we get that its over between the two of you. And yes, well you can see that we are against it. And we know you’re both trying to move on, although I must say sweety that he still loves you so much. Mothers just know. And well, we can’t just let him not know. And yes you told us you don’t want to hear anything from him anymore, but that’s impossible.”

Mom was still rambling on the phone when I cut her off. “It’s alright mom. I don’t mind.”

I forgot that they still didn’t know that we were back together. I decided that I’ll tell them the next morning. Or some other time. Just not at that moment. I needed to see Jay.

“Oh thank goodness. Don’t worry. Dong Wook locked him up somewhere. We know you don’t want to see him yet. But please do. He’s miserable,” my mom said in a pleading voice.

“I- alright mom. I have to go. I need to see Jay. I have to check if he’s alright,” I said with a weak voice.

“It will all be alright honey. Don’t worry,” she said before hanging up.

 

As I walked towards the operating room, I contemplated about calling Donghae. But before I could even find my phone, I heard the nurse shouting Jay’s name.

“The family of Mr. Jay Park? Is the family of Mr. Jay Park here?” she asked.

I shouted, “I am! I’m here I’m here. What happened?” I ran towards her.

“The surgery is still on-going Ma’am. May I ask how you are related to the patient?” she asked me thoughtfully.

“I- well, I’m his daugh- I mean his employer. Sort of. Daughter. I’m his daughter, you can call me that,” I said nervously.

“You have to be specific ma’am. How exactly are you related with him?”

“We aren’t blood related. But he’s like a father to me,” I felt supportive hands on my back and saw Suzy and Gain beside me. “I’m his only family here.”

“Alright. Well I have a few questions first about him. Will it be alright if I ask you about him?” she asked. I nodded.

“That’s good. The surgeon will be with you in about a few minutes to brief you on the procedures done to him,” she continued.

“I- Is. Is he going to be okay?” I asked, my eyes beginning to tear up.

“I’m not really sure at the moment,”

“Oh god. Please. Just tell me. Is- is he in- in any danger?” I asked, tears already flowing down my cheeks.

“I am not in the position to say. And I may not know for sure. But the surgeons are doing the best that they can. The last update from inside the OR was that he was losing too much blood,”

“He’s a type B,” I blurted out. “I’m a type B as well. I can donate. I haven’t been drinking. Though I haven’t slept much last night-“

The nurse cut me off. “Alright. I would like you to calm down. I’ll tell the surgeons that he’s a type B. Are you sure about this?”

“Yes. Of course,”

“Alright. They still need to do the tests just to be sure, but I think the information is truly a big help. I’ll inform them as soon as possible. Thank you,” she smiled at me. “Now would you please come with me and answer a few questions about your... father?”

I nodded and she led me to the waiting area.

 

 

An intern went out to give me an update. Jay was losing too much blood and they lost him once already. I broke down right then and there. They reassured me that they were doing the best they can. Nicole, gain and Suzy tried their best to give me tons of supportive words. But I did not want to talk to anybody. I merely sat there, staring at the brightly painted walls. I kept on praying to all the gods, all the dead relatives and anybody I could ever think of. I kept repeating my mantra in my head. Jay is not going to die. Jay is not going to die.

 

It had been almost two hours before the nurse called for me again. The operation just ended and the surgeon was there to give me an update.

I approached the surgeon, entirely speechless. She was Asian. Chinese. Or maybe Japanese.

“Good morning Ma’am. Are you the relative of Mr. Park?” she asked in a firm voice.

I merely nodded since I seemed to have lost my tongue.

“I’m Christina Yang. I’m the cardio surgeon that operated on your, uhm, bodyguard. Mr. Park had suffered a tear in his aorta because of the bullet. We have repaired it although we have still yet to see the results. The other bullet went in his left chest. The good thing here is that although it did break a rib, it did not went through all the way to his lung.”

I gasped.

“Don’t worry, he’s stable for now. We’re rolling him off to the ICU. He needs to be placed on close supervision. First, our goal is to get him through the day. Then we’ll see what’ll happen afterwards. I’ll be here to give you an update from time to time.”

 

“He’s not dead?” I asked in a small voice.

 

She smiled at me and said, “No. He’s not dead.”

And my knees gave away.


SUPPORT ME ON WATTPAD. YIIIEEEE. :)))