Two Shots

My Everything Is Yours

 

It was during one of my last shows when it happened. My worst nightmare. The most traumatic event in my life.

 

I finally managed to separate myself from the swarm of arms enveloping me. I announced my plans to rest for a while during one of the after parties of our show. I told them I just wanted a break from the limelight and circle the world without schedules or something. When my parents found out about my “early retirement” I told them I just wanted a few weeks off and maybe enjoy the world without attachments. They told me to go home but I told them maybe I’ll drop by but not soon. After a few arguments, they finally let me off. I was feeling good for myself, thinking my plans would work.

 

Because the shows we’d been doing were unofficial fashion shows, it was easier for me to end the contract. What I didn’t expect were the number of friends that was refusing to let me go. We’ve been planning for this show for months-a crazy fashion show where we showcase clothes of aspiring new fashion designer, some designs from the models themselves. It was a fulfillment of a long-term dream.

“Oh promise us you’d be back in no time,” Maria looked at her with a few tear droplets hanging off her fake eyelashes. She was one of the new models yet she clicked with her in no time.

“Honey, I don’t have an idea when in no time will be,” I hugged her. She was my baby. She was often teased around because she was still a , considering that she was 24 and a deity looking, drop dead gorgeous Filipina. “Nonsense! My mother would kill me if I talk about premarital ; imagine what will my fate would be if I was deized by anybody but my legal husband-which at this rate I don’t know if I’ll be able to have!” she used to say. Principles, pride and morality were pretty much heavier than romance for their family. It actually made me feel bad for myself that I lost mine before I was barely an adult.

“But then, who would ward off the bad guys?” tears began to flow from her eyes.

“Don’t worry, I’m here darling,” Irish, one of my closest friends in the industry, enveloped me in her arms. “I’ll miss you girl.”

“I will too,” I hugged her back. From the corner of my eyes, I saw Gain and Suzy saying goodbye to their friends. I looked for Nicole in the crowd and saw her crying in the arms of one of the new models.

 

 

It was nearly midnight when we finally decided to go back to the hotel. Jonghun was waiting for us at the car while Jay escorted us outside. I let the three go in first, saying my last goodbyes to my friends. I was leaving in the morning, a week early from what I told Donghae. A week early from what I told everybody actually.

 

Vaguely, I realize a person standing just a few yards from us. And Jay stepping up in front of me, shielding me from something. I frowned at Jay’s panicked face.

It was like everything was in slow motion.

I heard a gun shot ringing through the chaotic city sounds. And another.

I panicked as I felt Jay’s body hit me with an impact. That was when I realized he was covering me.

 

Jay protected me from a gun shot. It slowly sank to me what happened.

The bullet was for me. Jay protected me. Jay got shot.

“Jay!” I screamed. Everywhere around me, people were shouting. I vaguely saw my friends huddling together. I looked back to see Jonghun posed by the car, a little too late in my opinion, shooting the attacker. But when I looked back to his spot, he was already running away.

I screamed at Jonghun, “No! No! Let him go Jonghun! Jay- Jay’s been – Oh my god, Jay!” I was going hysterical. I was supporting Jay’s body, I can feel my 4-inch high heels giving away.

“I- I’m fine Yoona,” he managed to say after a few attempts. He tried to stand straight but was suddenly falling back down again and I managed to catch him just in time.

Jonghun was soon at my side and I vaguely hear voices calling 911. Jay was looking fiercely behind me, muttering something, his hands around me, as if protecting me. I saw his hand reaching for his gun. I realized what he was whispering about.

“That bastard. I’m getting him,” I heard him say and he moved to walk.

I stopped him from moving, “No Jay! Please! Don’t even move!” I shrieked. I was panicked even more when he began to cough out blood.

Jonghun was supporting him from the side but he barked at him to look out for the attacker might come back. Jonghun was pale as a ghost and I was sure he was as scared of Jay’s condition as I was. We managed to bring him towards the car just as I heard sirens from a distance.

“Are you okay?” he asked me.

“Jay, oh my god. What have you been thinking?” I cried. Tears were flowing from my eyes.

“Yoona, are you okay? Were you hurt?” he asked again. He winced and I saw that he was in extreme pain. There were two shots. Oh god! What if a vital organ was hit? Two shots. Oh god oh god. I got even more hysterical by the minute.

When the paramedics and police officers came, I was so scared I didn’t want to let go of Jay. I wasn’t aware of my surroundings anymore. The only thing going through my head was that Jay was shot. Badly. My heart crushed at the thought of losing him. I couldn’t get myself to let go of him.

 

Even semi-unconscious, Jay managed to give instructions to pale-faced Jonghun.

 

I wanted to go with the ambulance to the hospital, but there were just too many paramedics working on him I was so scared that I’d just be a burden.

So I stayed back while my friends comforted me. I was planning to go the hospital immediately when a pair of arms stopped me. I saw Jonghun tensed and bring up his gun.

“Chill man! I- Oh god, put that down! You know me!” a man talked behind me. I looked back and saw that it was Chansung, one of the Korean models that were with me in the show.

I looked at Jonghun and told him to put his gun down. Chansung was one of the people I tried to date after Donghae. Although unlike the others, he didn’t want to get into my pants-although he was deliberately pressing up against me any chance he gets-he was kind. Scary-looking but kind. With the look on his face, I knew he was concerned about me.

 

He pulled me away from the crowd, with a cautious Jonghun following just a meter away. He was still scanning the crowd.

“I- I have to go Chan. Jay, he- Jay needs me. And I- I need to be there,” and I break down. Everything was just too much for me. I felt him envelop his arms around me and for a moment, I felt secured, until I heard the words that send chills to my spine until now.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Donghae doesn’t deserve you. If you had picked me over him, none of this would have ever happened.”