Chapter 29

Remembering You

 

"What?" Alice said. "But I was told she is blind."
"The doctors you attended to specialize in the human body," Dr. Junghoon said. "I, on the other hand, specialize on the human eye. I think I should know whether my patient is blind or not."
"But, her eyes are white and dull," Alice said. 
"It's just the infections," he replied. "It will disappear and heal if treated properly. Han-ah, are you ready to take some eye examinations?" he asked.
"Y-Yes," you said.
 
"Okay," Dr. Junghoon said. "This procedure will be fast, but the recovery will take some time."
"It's okay," you said. "I don't mind waiting."
"Alright then," he said. "Let's start the surgery, I'll give you 5 minutes to prepare yourself." He left the room and gently closed the door. 
You took a deep breath, **I hope this will work**
Your head snapped up towards the door as you heard a click. The door opened and was gently being closed.
"Sorry, I went to drink some water by the fountain," Alice said.
"Oh, it's fine," you said. "I'm just glad that you even came with me."
"Of course," she said.
"C-Can you hold my hand during the surgery?" you asked. 
Alice smiled and said, "Of course."
The door opened, "Please follow me," one of the nurse said.
 
15 minutes has passed since they started surgery on your eyes. As promised, Alice stayed by your side and held your hands through the entire process.
"She'll be staying here for at least 2 weeks from now," Dr. Junghoon said when he finished with the surgery. 
Alice calculated the time and smiled, **Perfect, that's a day before her birthday**
"Okay," she said. 
Dr. Junghoon left the room as Alice sat by your side. Your eyes had been wrapped with white bandages. 
"Han-ah?" Alice murmured.
"..."
"I guess she fell asleep," Alice muttered. Alice quietly left the room and closed the door. She took out her phone from her pocket and pressed a couple of buttons.
"..."
"Hello? Alice?" Daehyun said.
"Daehyun, can you meet me at the supermarket within an hour?" Alice asked. 
"Sure, but what about Han-ah?" he asked.
"I told you, I have everything planned," Alice said with a smile.
"Alright," he said. "Meet you there." Daehyun hung up as Alice put her phone back in her pocket. 
She headed towards Dr. Junghoon's office and knocked on his door.
"Come in," he said.
Alice slowly opened the door and came inside. 
"Is something wrong Miss Alice?" he asked.
"Oh, nothing," Alice said. "I just wanted to tell you, please, take good care of Han-ah. She is a feisty one, but she is a wonderful child."
"Are you related to her Miss Alice?" he asked.
"Oh, no," she responded. "I am just an old nurse of her deceased grandfather."
"Ah, I see," he said. "Well, I will take good care of her, but where are you going?"
"I am planning her surprise birthday party coming within 2 weeks. The day after she can take off the bandage," she said. 
"Ah, wonderful idea," he said. "Well, I will do what I can."
"Thank you," Alice said. She bowed 90 degrees and gently closed the door behind her. "Time to go shopping."
 
Alice was debating whether to tell Daehyun or not about the eye surgery. **He should know about it but...I shouldn't tell him about the eye surgery...he might be filled with even more disappointment if the surgery isn't successful** 
"Daehyun," Alice said as they sat on a bench at the park to relax after the long hours of shopping. 
"Hmm?" he responded back as he finished the last sip of iced tea. 
"Do you love Han-ah?" she asked.
"I-I..." Daehyun stuttered. 
"...Well?" Alice asked.
"I-I honestly don't know my true feelings," he muttered. "I want the best for Han-ah, but, I feel as though I am only a bothersome to her."
"Why do you think that?" she asked.
"I seem to always be the reason why she is sad," he said. "I just never seem to be able to make her happy."
"But you make her happy all the time," Alice laughed. "In fact, just saying your name brings a smile to her face."
"Really?" Daehyun asked.
"Yes, really," Alice said. "Han-ah is always bright on the outside but deep down, she is just a scared, lost child. Her parents have always been busy and never got to take care of Han-ah. They barely know anything about her due to their busy schedules. You are the reason to why she lives her life happily. Knowing that there is someone there that will support her and be there for her, it means a lot to her." Alice's hands wrapped around the ring in her pocket. "I have something I would like to give you." She took out the ring and placed it in Daehyun's hand.
"How do you-"
"Han-ah thinks you don't care for her anymore," Alice sighed. "I am no comfort to her as I used to be. Please, take good care of Han-ah. She is a wonderful child and I hope you will love her as much as she loves you."
Daehyun looked down at the ring laying on his palm. **The same identical ring as mine...** Daehyun thought. **Han-ah was the one I love now and have always loved** Daehyun smiled at the thought. His hands closed around the precious ring. 
"I'll take good care of her," he said. 
 
Daehyun wiped the sweat away from his forehead as he flipped the 35th burnt and distorted pancake. Only 3 days before your birthday and he was preparing his own special surprise. He gave a frustrated sigh as he threw the burnt pancakes in the garbage can. 
"What am I doing wrong?" he murmured.
He tried once more, but the result was still the same. "It's just not the same when Han-ah cooked it," he muttered. "But I must do this for Han-ah."
He began mixing the batter once more and began to cook. He watched as the pancake rose a bit before deflating once more. 
"Ugh," he lightly threw the spatula onto the counter of the table. 
"What am I doing wrong? Just what is it?" he kept muttering.
Alice walked into the room with ribbons hanging on her ams. "Which colors do you think is pretty?"
"The turquoise one," he said without looking.
"Oh, that was what I thought. It brings such a relaxing feeling," she said. "Oh my, what happened to the kitchen?" she said as she noticed the destroyed kitchen. There was a splat of batter here and there, the kitchen looked like a mess.
"I, uh, was trying to make the pancakes that Han-ah taught me, but I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong. They keep coming out distorted and they keep deflating."
"Okay, go and cook another pancake. I'll observe and tell you what you are doing wrong," she said.
Daehyun sighed as he got up. He made another bowl of batter and was about to pour it into the pan when Alice said, "You're using the wrong pan," she said. "It's more preferred to use a non-sticky pan." She went towards the pantry and took out another pan. She placed it on the stove and the fire. "Now, continue."
Daehyun nodded and poured the batter into the non-sticky pan. "Stop," Alice said. 
"What is it now?" he asked.
"You're pouring too much at once," she said. "One at a time, especially if you can't even make one decent pancake."
Daehyun pinked a bit and nodded. He put the bowl on the side and watched as the batter began to expand and rise. He took the spatula and was about to flatten it when Alice stopped him once more. "Don't even think about flattening it," she said. "You'll only destroy the light texture. Flip the pancake now."
Daehyun did as told and watched as the pancake began to rise. "Now flip it onto the bowl." Daehyun did as told and he smiled as a decent pancake sat on the plate. 
"Wow," Daehyun murmured. 
"Okay, I have to prepare more things. Hope you understand," Alice said. She smiled as she watched Daehyun continue practicing on the pancakes. **He's fallen for Han-ah, deep** she grinned.
 
Daehyun sighed in relief as he placed the plate of pancakes onto the diner table. He smiled, the pancakes have turned out very well. Now, it was time to grade on the taste. Daehyun cut the pancakes and slowly placed his fork into the pancake. He stared at the pancakes for a couple of seconds before gobbling it down. His mouth began to form a big smile. He cut up more of the pancake and began to eat more and more. 
Daehyun sighed in content as the plate of pancakes was empty. 
"That was really good," Daehyun said out loud. "I'm definably using this. Now...only to make strawberry milkshakes..." he muttered.
He put the plate, fork, and knife back into the sink. He walked out towards the garden and knelt down beside the row of strawberries. He smiled as he plucked one of the reddest strawberry. He gently wiped it with the sleeve of his shirt and took a small bite. The rich, delicious flavor blasted into his mouth. 
"It's perfect to eat," he murmured. He headed towards the garage and began to look for the basket. **Where would she put it?** Daehyun thought to himself. Suddenly, his eyes landed on something, he smiled as he took out the basket at the top of the pantry. 
He headed back outside and knelt down once more. He began to pick the strawberry that were the reddest of the bunch. "If it isn't sweet enough, I'll just add more milk or something." He continued picking strawberries until the basket was full of them. He headed towards the kitchen and put the basket of strawberries onto the kitchen table. He headed towards the pantry as his eyes skimmed around for the familiar shape of the blender. 
"Aha!" he said. He reached towards the third row filled with electronic appliances. He took it down and washed it with water. He dried it and laid it onto the table. 
"Ice, ice, ice, do we have ice in the freezer? What about ice cream?" he murmured. 
He headed towards the freezer and opened it. He frowned as he stared inside the empty freezer. "Well, guess that means I have to go to the super market...50 miles away...." he groaned. "I should've been prepared." He grabbed his coat and headed towards the door.
"Oh, Daehyun, where are you going?" Alice asked.
"Oh, I'm just going to the super market," Daehyun said.
"Oh, I can go for you," Alice said.
"Nah, it's alright. Thanks for the offer any ways. I'll be back as soon as possible."
Alice watched as Daeyun put on his shoes and left the mansion. She headed towards the kitchen and saw the blender and strawberry. She smiled and put down her rag. She washed her hands and took the basket of strawberry over towards the kitchen sink. She began gently washing them while humming a tune. 
 
You sighed as you laid beside your bed. You had woken up how long was it...hours? Minutes? Who knows...You only knew that you were still in the small office like hospital. And that you were very much alone. The door opened and you sat straight up. 
"Alice?" you called out.
"Oh, are you searching for the miss that you came here with?" the nurse said.
"Yes, where did she go?" you asked.
"Oh, she left a little after your surgery," the nurse said.
"Do you know when she will come back?" you asked.
"She didn't say," the nurse murmured. "But I'm sure she will be back by tomorrow."
"Oh, alright," you said as you laid back onto the bed. 
"Here, drink some carrot juice," the nurse said. "Helps with the eye."
The nurse gently folded your hands around the cup. You slowly lifted it towards your face and gulped it down. It wasn't your favorite, but you did as told. **I want to get out as soon as possible...and hopefully I'll get out with a 20/20 vision...hopefully...** you thought.
Your hands touched the fabric of the sweater. You sighed as you thought over. **What was I thinking when I wanted to get rid of it? That everything would just disappear and be alright? I knew better then that and yet, I didn't listen**
Your fingers lingered on the bandage around your eyes. **Just a little longer...**
 
Daehyun thanked the driver and got out of the taxi. He headed towards the super market and took one of the carts. He roamed around around the super market as his eyes wandered around. 
"Ice, ice cream, ice, ice cream," he murmured to himself. He headed towards the right and saw a variety of ice creams displayed in the freezers. 
"Vanilla ice cream, vanilla ice cream," he murmured. "Aha, found it." He opened the freezer and took out 3 tubs of vanilla ice cream. He put them in the cart and looked for the packages of ice. He saw the freezer in the corner and took out 2 large bags of ice cubes. He put them in the cart and began heading towards the cashier. 
He put the items on the counter and the cashier gave him a kind smile. Daehyun smiled back and took out his wallet. 
"That will be $18.50," she said with a shy smile.
Daehyun nodded and took out $15, "Hmm, I'm short of money. "Sorry I'll go and return-"
"Here," said a voice. Daehyun looked at the money and looked up towards the owner of the money. 
"HyeSun," he said. 
HyeSun gave the money to the cashier. The cashier took the money and put the items in the bag. "What are you looking at? Go and get the grocery."
"But-"
"Just meet me by my car near the front of the exit," she said and walked away. Daehyun scratched his head in confusion but obeyed. He took the heavy items and headed towards the exit. Like HyeSun said, she was waiting inside her car by the exit. HyeSun rolled down the window and said, "Just put the items in the back trunk." Daehyun didn't understand why HyeSun was being so nice, but he did as told. He opened the trunk and put the items inside. He headed towards the door and opened it. He sat inside and closed the door.
"You're going to Han-ah I'm guessing," she said. 
"I'm going to her house to see he guardian," Daehyun said. HyeSun looked at him and nodded, "Seatbelt."
They arrived at the front of the mansion 20 minutes later. 
"Thanks," Daehyun said as she stopped the car. 
"No problem," she said.
Daehyun got out of the car and headed towards the trunk. He took out the items and nodded at HyeSun before heading towards your house. HyeSun watched him walk away. She started the car and drove away. 
"Oh, you're back," Alice said. "I didn't expect you to be back so early."
"Oh, a-a friend of mine drove me here," he said.
"Oh, alright then. Well, I washed the strawberry for you," Alice said.
"Thanks," he said as he put the items in the freezer. He left a bag of ice and a tub of ice cream on the kitchen counter.
"Now...time to make some strawberry smoothies," he said.
 
ColorfulCupcakeDivider.gif
Hey BABY's ^^
Yay! I managed to do a double update and this one was extra long...and hopefully not boring :O
Anyways, I hope you will continue to wait for my next random updates ^^
I can't thank you guys enough :D
-iHartCupcakes :)