Chapter 17

Remembering You

gifluv-nature-1509478813.gif

 

“Just put the ribbons over there,” RaeRin said as she pointed towards the corner near the very top of the wall.

“Sure,” Daehyun said and did as commanded. He took a nearby ladder and set it up. He stuck the tape into his back pocket and climbed up the ladder carefully with the ribbon.

“Here?” he asked.

“A bit more to the left, a little more, stop, stop, that’s perfect,” she said. Daehyun nodded and began to tape the ribbon onto the wall. He carefully climbed down the ladder and set it up on the opposite side. He held onto the other end of the ribbon and began climbing the ladder once more. He taped the ribbon onto the wall.

“Now, for the banner,” RaeRin said.

“Banner?” Daehyun said. “Yeah! I decided it was going to say ‘Happy Birthday HyoJin!~’” she said.

Daehyun looked at her with a raised eyebrow. “Isn’t that what it’s supposed to say on the cake, balloons, presents, cards, or should I say basically everything that’s going to be in this room?”

“Well,” she said as she scratched her head. “Maybe I overdid with the happy birthdays…” she said.

“You think?” Daehyun said.

She laughed, “Sorry, I just want everything to work out and be perfect.”

“Yeah, I know,” Daehyun said. “And I’m going to be here to help you accomplish that.”

 

You checked your phone for the nth time again, hoping Daehyun would call and apologize. Nothing…

*Sigh*

“Does he not know what he did wrong? Is he kidding me?” you thought angrily. You huffed angrily and checked your phone once more. Nothing.

“Fine, don’t call me back. In fact, don’t call me at all!” you said angrily at your phone.

“Why are you yelling at your phone?” Alice asked as she stood by the door with a bemused face.

You looked at her and slid the phone back into your pocket. You cleared your throat and said, “No I’m not…I-I was just cleaning my phone…”

“Sure…” she said and smiled. “Anyways, I have a file here for you to fill in. This surgery is going to be tougher and riskier. Do you want to try and save her?”

You opened the file and looked through the patient’s profile. “She’s only 15?” I said, shocked.

“Yeah, and her chance of living is very slim at the moment. No doctor wants to help her do surgery because they might end up getting sick,” Alice said.

You nodded as you continued to read through her files. You closed the folder, “I’ll continue to look through this,” you said.

“Well…the parent’s are actually outside waiting for you,” Alice said.

“Really?” you said and walked outside.

2 adults were pacing back and forth with a worried face. They had bags under their eyes and looked exhausted. When they heard the door open, their head shot up and the mother ran up to you.

“Please, please, help save our daughter,” the mother said. “I’ll pay you any amount of money you want, just name the price and I’ll pay it. Please, just save her.” Her eyes were red and teary. She clung onto your arms with while trying to breath between her cries. The father tried to pry his wife’s hand away from you but it was no use. You gave her a firm grasp onto her weak arms. You stared into her eyes and smiled.

“First, I would like to see if I meet the requirements and standards. If I do, I would like to help her,” you said.

Her knee’s unbuckled and she cried. “Thank you so much, thank you,” she kept saying.

You knelt down and helped her up, “There is no need for a thank you, it’s my job to help save lives. Now, please do me a favor and go back home to rest. I will contact you.”

She looked at you and you gave her a reassuring smile. “I’ll call you 2 days from now at 11 A.M.  okay?”

She finally nodded and her husband helped her get off the ground. “Thank you, thank you so much,” they said and bowed before they left.

“You sure you can do this?” Alice asked. “It’s going to take a lot of preparations.”

You stayed silent for a bit before looking at her. “I can do this,” you said.

 

So for the next 2 days, you studied and studied. You looked over your notes and stayed put in the office without going home. You rubbed your tired eyes and yawned. You were dead tired and exhausted. **It’s like college all over again** you groaned. You checked the clock, 10:45 A.M. You got off your seat, took the paper bag on your table and headed towards the door. You opened it and took the elevator down to the basement. The door clicked open and you stepped out.

You walked towards the end of the hall until you came upon a door that read MiLin Jung.

You looked inside the room and saw MiLin staring at a doll. She hugged it and sighed. **Poor girl…she should be outside shopping with her friends…** you thought sadly.

You went to another room and began putting on a mask and protective suits. You covered every inch of your body and took a deep breath before entering the room. MiLin looked up as you began walking towards her. You took a nearby chair and pulled it close to the bed. You put the bag down onto the floor.

“Hello MiLin, my name is Doctor Han-ah, but you can call me Han-ah,” you said.

“Hello Han-ah,” she said in a soft, weak voice. She unconsciously began twisting the hair on the dolls hair.

“Who got that for you?” you asked.

“My parents,” she said.

“What about your friends?” you asked.

“I don’t have any friends,” she responded slowly. “They all left when I became sick with…with…this…disease,” she finished.

You shook your head and grabbed her hands; she stared at you with wide eyes. She was shocked since no one had ever wanted to touch her after they found out she was sick. “MiLin, I am going to be your best friend starting from now. I am going to be your doctor. I am going to help you do the surgery,” you said.

MiLin’s eyes began to water as she began to smile. “Thank you,” she whispered.

You smiled and patted her head. “Let’s go call your parent’s and tell them the good news. We only have 2 minutes though.”

She nodded and wiped away her tear. You took the telephone near the table and dialed in the number. We didn’t have to wait long before her mother’s voice appeared.

“Hello? MiLin? You there?” she said.

“Omma,” MiLin said. “Omma,” she said and began crying.

“MiLin! What’s wrong? Do you want me to come over?” she said hurriedly.

“No, omma,” MiLin said. “Doctor H-Han-ah said she-she will do the surgery,” she finished.

“…”

“OMO! Really?” her mother cried onto the phone. MiLin handed you the phone and you smiled. “Hello? Mrs. Hung? This is Han-ah,” you said.

“Oh thank the lords, thank you so much for helping my precious daughter,” she said.

“It’s no problem,” you said.

“Thank you,” she said before her voice got cut off and the phone call ended. MiLin sniffled as you patted her hand. “I’ll be back again tomorrow,” you said. “As for now,” you said and took out the bag. You handed it to MiLin and smiled, “Have fun with your new phone,” you said. “Now you can talk to anyone you want longer.”

MiLin gasped and suddenly hugged you. “Thank you, thank you so much,” she said.

You just smiled and patted her back. “No, thank you,” you said. **You’ve shown me what a true loving family is**

ColorfulCupcakeDivider.gif

Double update for today ^^