Chapter 28

Remembering You

 

A/N: Some of the contents you will be reading are made from my preferences. Even if they are completely incorrect, please don't hate or anything >__< I did some research, but I'm not sure if they are correct. So if it is wrong, I apologize, but please just go with the flow if you can. Thank you :)
 
 
 
Alice felt guilty watching you mope around all day. She sat by her bed and took out the ring from her pocket. "This must really mean a lot to her then," Alice said with a smile. An idea began to from in her head as her smile widened. "I got it," she said.
 
"Birthday?" Daehyun repeated.
"Yes, it's almost her birthday soon and I was wondering if you can help me set up everything and celebrate it with her," Alice said.
"Of course I will," Daehyun said. "So how and where are we going to set everything?" 
"Don't worry, I got everything planned," Alice said. "When-oh good morning Han-ah," Daehyun heard her say.
"There's breakfast on the dinner table if you want to eat," Alice said.
"I got to go," Alice said. "We'll talk more about this later," and hung up.
"Han-ah's birthday..." Daehyun muttered. 
 
You sat down onto the table and didn't move. You were hungry, but your stomach just wouldn't digest the food properly. 
"Han-ah, please, eat something," Alice said.
"I can't," was all you managed to reply. 
"..."
"Han-ah," Alice said. 
"..." 
"I have done some research...and, I wanted your opinion on this," she said. "Do you want surgery on your eye?"
"What?" you asked.
"There is a doctor in Seoul that has helped do eye surgery on many patients, and he has been very successful in his years of experience," Alice said.
"So you are saying...I should get surgery? you asked.
"It's your choice, my dear," Alice said. "I won't force you to take it, but if the surgery is successful, you will be able to see again."
After a little bit of thought, you couldn't help but smile. "Let's go and see that doctor," you said. You couldn't see Alice smile, but you knew she was. 
"Great, I'll make an appointment for tomorrow morning at 10 AM," she said. "You're going to have to wake up a bit earlier than usual."
"Got it," you said. You hands reached for the bowl of kimbap, and you devoured it happily. **Soon, I'll be able to see again** you thought with a smile.
 
The next day, you woke up extra early to get prepared. You headed towards the bathroom and began to brush your teeth. You washed your face with water and began to change. Your fingers felt through the fabric of each shirt. Finally, your fingers stopped. You picked up a tank top and smiled. "This will do," you said. You took out a pair of leggings as well and matched them together. "Hmm...it might be a bit cold in the morning," you muttered. You smiled and kneeled onto your knees. Your hands searched for the box under your bed. You took out the box and opened it. Your hands carefully searched for the sweater.
When your hands found the sweater, you carefully took it out and buried your face into it. 
The familiar scent still lingered on the sweater. You carefully put on the sweater and got up. It was a bit baggy and long, but you didn't care. It was the perfect outfit to you. You combed your hair down neatly and bounced a little in excitement. **I can't wait!** you thought. 
 
You and Alice arrived at the small office. "Is this the right place?" you heard Alice mutter. You stood by her side and listened to the daily commotion happening in the small office.
"Excuse me," Alice said to a passing nurse. "Is this the eye hospital where Dr. Kim Junghoon works in?"
"Oh yes," the nurse said. "Doesn't appear as grand as you thought, huh? Dr. Junghoon prefers a small, cozy place to work then in one of those big hospitals," she said.
"Ah, I see," Alice said. "Well, I made an appointment yesterday to be here by 10 AM?"
"Oh, yes, and the patient is...Han-ah," the nurse said.
"Yes," you answered. "That would be me."
"Welcome Han-ah, Dr. Junghoon will see you in a couple of minutes," you heard the nurse say. The chair creaked as the nurse got up. Her footsteps began to drift further and further away.
"Come on, let's sit down," Alice said. She led you towards one of the chairs and sat down. About 5 minutes passed in silence before you heard the nurse call your name.
"Han-ah?" she said.
"Oh here," Alice said and helped you stand up. She walked you towards the office and she led you towards a seat. Your head wandered around as you tried to face the doctor. 
"Hello Han-ah," a deep voice said. Startled, you looked to the left. 
"G-Good morning Dr. Junghoon," you said.
"Good morning to you, too," he laughed. "Well, I'm going to explain the process to you and if you have any questions, just ask and I'll answer them as best as I can," he said.
"Okay," you said.
"First off, let's check your eyes." He opened the flashlight, and you blinked.
"Open your eyes bigger," he said. You did as told and Dr. Junghoon said, "This surgery won't help if you're blind."
"What?" Alice said. "But-"
"But, it seems that Han-ah can still do the surgery," Dr. Junghoon continued. 
"H-How? But she's blind, you just said-" Alice said.
"No, she's not completely blind," he said. "In fact, she still has 1/10 of her visions."