The Graduation

Little Thing Called L

I am looking at the mirror and i can see a girl with long dark brown hair wearing a red satin dress underneath a black regalia. Its my graduation day today. My paper had been approved 2 weeks ago and i graduated with flying colors. My professor loved my paper. He said it was not the topic that he thought i would go for and, considering the high level of details in the paper, he concluded that i have spent numerous time and effort to chase the information and data. Little did he know, i got all of the information from one person only, Taeyang.

Its been a month since I sent my last message to him and i was right. He did say goodbye with his last message. I waited for days for his message to me, but nothing.

Ashanty told me that things are already seem to be under control with BigBang as DaeSung is currently taking his break. When i heard the news, I was ecstatic. I waited eagerly for message from him but still, nothing. I can't help but think that he is bored with me. The limelight must be too bright that you can forget people within weeks. But i am not the type of person who dwells on something like this. If he's bored with me, fine. I'm cool enough to find new brother myself. It's not like he plays a huge part in my life. We've met once and talked for a month. That's it.

I do miss him though. His cheerfulnees and witty remarks for my questions really made me smile. The other thing that made me enjoy our conversation was that he knows a lot about music. Our taste in music is almost identical that i can talk to him about anything and he would get it straight away. His humbleness and simplicity made me completely disregard the fact thatg he is a huge star. But now, it seems that i have to go back to reality where Dong Young Bae is Taeyang, the sun, not my older brother, not my teddy bear.

"are you ready darling?" Dad shouted from downstairs.

"Coming" i shouted back.


I can feel the excitement circling around my family as we drove to the venue. Everyone dressed to impress. My father wears his best Armani tux, Ashanty with her not-so-appropriate little black dress and mom decides to wear her red and blue hanbok. Ashanty tried to reason with mom so that she doesn't wear hanbok to UCLA, but mom insisted that if its a monumental event, she will wear what her ancestors wore. I cant argue with that. I always respect her decision in preserving her culture.

After the ceremony, people start congratulating me. Pictures taken million times with million different people until my mouth is sore from smiling too much. Some even randomly come up to my family and asked for a photo because of mom's hanbok seems to be a new thing for them Americans.

I am grateful that i have many friends that care enough to come to my gradution ceremony. They came with gifts and showered me with kisses. I was holding 3 bouquets when mom approached me and hand me her phone.

"SeungHee wants to talk to you" mother said. SeungHee is my mother's sister's daughter. Put it simply, she's my cousin.

"Annyeonghaseyo, eonni" i answered.

"CHUKHAE CHAE-YA!! AIGOO~ I feel so old now that you graduates!!" She shouted from the other end.

"Kamsahabnida, oenni~ we're only 2 years different! don't be a drama queen!" i answered her and i can hear her chuckling.

"i have a present for you, Chae-ya. Remember last christmas you told me you want to go back to your hometown? we'll guess what, i bought a ticket for you to travel home to south korea!!" Her answer stunned me. A ticket? To Korea? I am stunned and loss for words.

"YA but this is counted as your birthday and also your christmas gift from me, ok? dont be too greedy now." She said after i went silent for a while.

"jinjja, oenni?? a ticket? isn't it too expensive? you dont have to buy me anything, you know" I feel guilty. I havent done anything good enough for me to receive such a good karma.

"aish you're my closest cousin and you're the one who drove around US to take me sightseeing last Christmas! remember our drive to Vegas? damn, that was CRAY!" It's true, she is my closest cousin and she is the most fun of all. i miss her.

"oenni~ gomawo..." that's all i can say to her. i almost cried. I am too blessed.

"ya. ya. ya! dont even dare to cry ok? just get your in here bbali! the ticket is for next week btw. i've told your mom about it since last month so she can refrain you if you plan anything next week" she explained her genius plan to me in between her laugh. i feel so touched. I can feel my tears fall.

"alright. i've spent enough money fot your ticket. this phone call has been too long already. I'll see you next week at Incheon, ok baby? again, Chukhae! annyeong dongsaeng" She said cheerfully

"annyeong eonni. again jinjja gomawo-yo..." that's all i can say before she hung up the phone.


"have everything packed? dont pack anything stupid like soap or shampoo. they have those in Seoul too." Mother nags me about my packing. I hate packing. i alwat left something out that i feel like taking my whole room with me.

"it's not fair, you know" Ashanty said as she sits on my bed.

"we know. you've been saying that since i hung up the phone" I answered my pouting sister.

"Ssae, you can go if you graduates too, ok?" mom tried to calm her

"THAT'LL TAKE YEARS!" she shouted and bolted back to her room.

I'll be leaving in matter of hours. I can't contain my excitement. I've been to Korea before, once when i was 8 years old. Ashanty was 3 back then and we went to Jeju Island to play in the sands and run around playing with water. It was one of my best holiday as i had the best food and best weather. We've always wanted to go back as a family but dad was always busy since then as he was promoted as a partner in his firm. We can't go holiday to far places anymore because he needs to be able to be back in LA whenever a client wants him. We live a better life since then, but less time to travel around.

I recheck the essential things that i can not forget. Laptop, charger, passport and tickets. I'm ready to go.


I walked out the airport to the pick-up area as i carry my suitcase. I have arrived in my mom's hometown. Seoul, Korea. This all look unfamiliar  and foreign to me as I look around to spot my loud cousin.

"CHAE!" my head turns to the source of the loud voice.

"OENNI!" i ran to her and hug her tight. Ah, i've missed her too much.

"how is the flight here? ok?" she asked after i let go our hug.

"ne~ it was long because i cant sleep. i am too excited!" i answered her with the biggest smile.

"daebak! Chae, this is my bestfriend HyeMi. She's gonna come with us as we conquer Seoul, ok?" SeungHee oenni said as she pointed her finger to the skinny girl next to her. She's pretty if she's not too skinny. Her skin white as a snow and her hair is long as flowing as if its always being blown by wind.

"annyeonghaseyo HyeMi-shii" i answered as i bowed.

"Ah, dont need to be formal with me! just call me HyeMi oenni! you can use banmal with me in korean too if you want!" she answered. her voice is very thin. She looks like she can break into peaces with just one flick. She's adorable speaking in english with her thick korean accent, though.

"Chae, we've made a itinerary for you! look! here are the places that we are going to visit for you week in Seoul!" SeungHee oenni said as she flick open her phone that shows a list of activities and places in Korea. I was shocked. There are probably too many list in there to be done in a month, let alone a week!

"thats a lot!!" i cant help my surprise.

"yep. thats why we're starting... NOW." SeungHee oenni said as she winked and grab my luggage. HyeMi-oenni grab my wrist and we almost ran to the car to start our adventure.


We are laying down on SeungHee eonni's bed as we finished our whole week activities in just 4 days. We were too ambitious on the first 3 days that we almost finished everything. Today we take it slow as we woke up late and had our breakfast together with our lunch in Yeoui-do. But as there's only few left on the list, it didnt took us long to finish them. So here we are laying back in SeungHee oenni's room trying to rest.

It has been a great holiday. I laughed non-stop and i eat everything that come my way. I even tried the live octopus! i would never go there again. Simply too much for my western pallet to handle. HyeMi eonni showed the real her after 2 days of intense adventure of Seoul. She is funny, outgoing, simple and extremely fun. She would do basically ANYTHING that you dare her to. She even did a bungee jump at Youldong after she lose a paper-rock-scissors game. Although at the end, all three of us had a go. It was crazy fun and if someone dared me to jump again, i would!

I almost close my eyes to have a quick nap when HyeMi suddenly shouted.

"OMMO!! TeyDaddy and Tabi is in Seoul again!!" HyeMi eonni said as she hold her phone tight and SeungHee oenni immediately jumped next to her and together they look at the phone.

"he's at the office!!! OMMO should we go???" SeungHee eonni only become even more excited that HyeMi eonni.

"AISH thats what i was thinking!" HyeMi eonni quickly agreed. Then in a beat, they realise that they've let me in the dark for too long.

"Chae, listen, i have this boyband that i am completely in love and the member that me and HyeMi love with all our heart is in korea again after spending a lot of time overseas because of some issues. Now, do you mind tagging along us as we come visit the guys at their office?" SeungHee eonni practically begged with her eyes and there is no way i can say no.

"do i even have a choice?" i sigh as I got up and grab my jeans as i putting it on.

"DAEBAK!! LET'S GO!!"


"oh my, i am so nervous HyeMi-ah... what if they come back more hot??" SeungHee eonni said.

"um, can you just rock up to their office to meet them? isn't it hard to meet celebrities?" i asked innocently and i got that 'are you stupid' stare from both of them.

"of course not. we're going to stay in front of their office until they go out or when they go in" HyeMi answered apologetically.

"ah~ thats why you guys begged. you want me to wait in front of some office until your idol showed up. nice. i should've stay in your room, eonni" i said as i lounge myself back in the backseat.

"it's not just SOME company. its THE company!" SeungHee eonni said and together they shouted "it's YG BABY!"

"WHAT?" i am shocked as i lurched to the front. We are going to YG??! BigBang's company??!

Both eonni looked at me with a questioning eye.

"umm.. so, who is this boyband that we are going to wait for?" i asked trying to look calm.

"BIGBANG!" both answered as if they've been practising that for years for when someone asked them who's their favorite band is.

"and your bias is...." i prayed it wouldn't be that name.

"TaeYang-shii and T.O.P" again they answered syncronizedly

. I knew this trip is too good to be true. I slumped back to the backseat and i can feel my soul is leaving my body. This is bad. This is really bad. I haven't been thinking about BigBang since i got the call from SeungHee eonni. I completely forgot that they're K-Pop star. It didnt occur to me at all because for the trip, we've been playing american music in the car. I should calm myself down. i mean what are the chances of us meeting them infront of their office.

As we park the car, i can see a large group of girls infront of a building. Some carry posters and others waving their VIP torch. They welcomed us as we joined forces and enter their circle. My heart is racing as i wished that these girls' wishes wouldn't come true. I want them to meet their idol, ofcourse. But not when i'm here. Not today. Please God, no. I faked a smile as they chanted the boys name again and again. All my worries come rushing back to me. What if TaeYang saw me but he didn't recognise me. Would that hurt my feeling? But then again, he wouldn't be able to recognise me between this sea of girls. And isn't this what you want in the first place, Chae? Deep down i know the answer is negative. i would still want him as my friend...

Suddenly i feel like my ears are being blown by a huge dynamite. The girls suddenly shouted and chaotic and i can feel my wirst being tugged by HyeMi-eonni so that us three can get to the front of the mosh and get a clear view of what is going on.

I can see him, walking with his head down to his van wearing his baggy pants and a grey hoodie. He hasn't change. He was about to get into the van when the mob of girls shouted his name in unison. "TAEYANG OPPA" and he automatically turn his head to face us and give his adorable smile and wave his hand. Wow. it surprise me how his smile can bring that surge of happiness to me. After he flashed his eye-smile, he get on the car only a moment later pop his head back out to face us. His expression is a combination between shock, disbelief, and confusion. In an instant, his eyes meet mine.

He smiled at me and i cant help but to smile back. All of the negative thoughts that i had about him since his last message completely vanished by his simple smile. He got off the car and walk straight to us with his eyes locked into mine. The girls around me are shouting even more hysterically as they began pushing and flashing their cameras. Suddenly guards were surrounding him guiding his every move as they look at him weirdly. TaeYang stop a few meters in front of me looking straight at me. The girls are too busy oggling him that they dont realise that he's been staring at me the whole time.

"annyeong" he said to me.

"annyeonghaseyo TaeYang oppa~" The mob answered as they still failed to see that he intended his question to me. He soon realise his mistake and look around the mob. He smiled making the girls swoon even more

"Annyeonghaseyo, girls" he said as he looked around at everyone until his eyes reached mine once again. The mob of girls finally felt that something is amiss.

"annyeong, Cheryl" he said as he smile at me and cocking his head to the right. VIPs around me are gasping and starts whispering.

"annyeong, TY" I answered automatically. The gasping sound are now even more obvious and people are now trying to see my face. They're trying to see the person who dares calling their beloved idol by the name of TY and not using banmal. i can also hear my both eonnies are gasping for air as they try to contain their shock.

"what you doing here?" TaeYang asked in english leaving most of the girls confused. The whisper around me are now even louder as more people seems to be trying to make sense of the situation in front of them.

"long story" i answered nonchalantly. I can feel stares from girls around me like a lazer through my skin. It only took me 4 days in Seoul to be the most hated woman in South Korea. My mom is going to disowned me if she knew.

"well then tell me about it on our way to the restaurant" he said as he stepped closer to me to grab my wirst and tug me closer to him. I hesitated.

"I got my 2 eonnis with me" i answered when i saw his face fell as if he's being rejected.

My words work like a cue as HyeMi eonni and SeungHee eonni got closer to me and TaeYang got the message immediately.

He looks at both girls and gives his most charming smile before he asks "do you guys wanna have dinner with me?" That really is unfair. With that smile, no one can reject him. Just as i thought. Both girls nodded excitedly at TaeYang and I can see traces of droll on the verge of their lips.

Taeyang's smile become wider as he said "lets go" and pull my hand once again. The guards are making a way for me, HyeMi eonni and SeungHee eonni to walk to the van. I can hear whispers and i feel the stares from fellow VIPs behind us. Taeyang does not forget his manner as he say his farewell to the mob of girls that are whining and begging TaeYang to take them instead. I can hear some girls shouted "Na do! Na do!" and he just smiled at them. I feel like we've betrayed them when they've taken us into their circle of VIP willingly and left them immediately when TaeYang dragged us away.

In the car, both eonnis chose the back seat making me seating in the middle with TaeYang. I look at their faces as they hold each other's hand and look at each other in disbelief.

"where are we going?" I finally asked him. If he is not a huge superstar, this should be counted as kidnapping.

He looked at me and then to the two eonnis sitting at the back, "have you girls had dinner?"

Both eonnis quickly shakes their head vigurously. I bet even if we did had dinner, they would still say they haven't. I laugh as i look at their yearning expression.

"ok, lets have dinner at my favorite restaurant! Ga ja!" Taeyang seems to be overly enthusiastic. And from the way he smiled at me, it feels like nothing has changed. He is still my older brother.

Once arrived at the restaurant, we were brought to a secluded room where i think TaeYang is always eating in. As we finished with the order, TaeYang excuses himself to the toilet. I sat myself infront of the two eonnis and both of them look at me so intensely that it feels like they can slice me in half with just their stares.

"oh Chae you have no idea how much explaination you need to make" SeungHee eonni said menacingly. I can only grimace. What should i say? Should i explain the truth? Suddenly a voice from behind me offer to answer.

"i can explain!" Taeyang said as he sits back next to me comfortably.

"It was back when we had our concert in LA. SeungRi thought she was hot, invited her to our after party, and we've been friends since then" TaeYang explained as if its not a big deal. As if it happens often. I can see a flash of blush on his cheek when he explained it though.

"I never knew you're a fan of BigBang, Chae" SeungHee eonni smile at me. I know her too well that i can read her smile. It says 'how could you hide the fact that you were partying with BigBang. Jukeullae?'

"i wasn't. Only starting early this year because of Ssae, eonni.." i tried to explained. Gosh, i hope i can still have a bed to sleep on tonight...

"Chae?" TaeYang looked at me puzzled.

"Ne~ That's my so-called korean name. My family called me that."

"Cool. I had your name Chae Ril on my phone. I didn't even know that's your hangeul name" TaeYang said smiling. HyeMi eonni choked on her water as she heard Taeyang's words.

"YOU have TaeYang-shii's number, Chae?" Great. now even HyeMi eonni looked like she's going to tear me to pieces.

"I've told you. We are close! right, Chae?" TaeYang suddenly put his arm around my shoulder and pull me closer to him. I blushed. The hatred and jealousy that the two eonnies are giving me are too much and TaeYang is making it worse. Thank God the food arrived and I try to shake the blush off my cheek.


As we eat, i can feel TaeYang stares at me from time to time. I can't help my blush anymore. I feel like a weird looking thing that everyone can stare at. The two eonnies look at me and TaeYang back and forth and TaeYang seems to be oblivious by the two eonnies' stare and keep looking at me once a while. Me? I tried to focus on my eating and try not to spoil anything.

"So, what's on your agenda for the rest of the night, girls?" TaeYang breaks the silence.

"uh... we finished all the things that we need to do today. So, nothing much really" SeungHee eonni answered as she blushed. She can't believe her luck. Who would've thought that a few hours ago, they've only stalk TaeYang through his twitter, now they're having dinner and a casual conversation with TaeYang himself.

"GREAT! You girls wanna come back with me to the office? your car is there anyway right? we can hang out there! JiYong is in the studio and he asked me to come. You guys should too!" TaeYang becomes excited as he blurted out his plan. He looked at me with a hopeful eyes hoping that i would back his plan up. I look to my eonnies and they almost die in a heart attack.

"well, if G-Dragon wouldnt mind, i would love check out your studio..." i said honestly. I've been wanting to see where their amazing songs come from.

"ASSA!" TaeYang takes out his phone and dial a number. "JiYong-ah, we're coming!"