YoungBae-HyeMi Part 1

Little Thing Called L

 

I drove my car back from JiYong’s house. Today was nothing special. Like every day, we played video games and talk about nothing. He was still in the same state, broken and weak, but I knew sooner or later, everything will turn to the better. It only had been a few days since he left to his parents’ so I understood that he was still mourning over his mistake.

The night was still young and I didn’t feel like going home, just yet. Cheryl’s voice suddenly echoed in my head. ‘You like HyeMi eonni. You might even already love her.’ It astounded me how she knew this more that I do myself. Was I that senseless that I didn’t even realise this myself?

I took out my phone and connected it to the Bluetooth of my car. I searched the number, and pressed dial.

“Yeobuseyo?” A sweet soft voice answered and filled my car.

“Hey” I answered awkwardly. This was the first time I contact her since my misplaced confession.

“YoungBae oppa?” She sounded surprise.

“Don’t you have my number?”

“Ah, ne~ I didn’t see the caller ID before I pick it up” She chuckled.

“Where are you?”

“I’m on my way home” I could hear the sound of cars buzzing around her.

“Where?”

“In front of Gangnam station” She answered.

“Wait there. I’ll pick you up” I said, before hanging up.

Unknowingly, a smile started to form in my face. The thought of finally seeing her after days of not contacting each other excited my being. Cheryl was right. The feeling is different. Yes, Cheryl did give me excitements when I approached her, but this one is different. This excitement made my stomach twisted and my heart flipped in joy. This nervousness made my palm sweaty and my legs twitching.

It didn’t take long for me to spot her, standing mindlessly near the bus stop while looking around searching for something. Or someone. It thrilled me the person that she might be looking was none other than myself.

I stopped the car in front of her, shocked her, before I rolled down my fully tinted window.

“Oppa!” She exclaimed.

“Get in” I unlocked the door and gestured her to hop in my car, which she happily did.

“What’s the occasion?” She asked as she settled her seatbelt.

“Nothing. I just had a revelation from a friend,” I answered, driving my car onwards.

“What revelation?” She turned to me. Her small eyes grew wider.

“You’ll know sooner or later” I grinned, playing mysterious.

She let it go and sat silently next to me, enjoying the city light as my car moved around cars in the busy road.

“Where are we going?” She asked, after realizing that we were not heading towards her apartment.

“Eat”

“I’ve already eaten” She said with apologetic eyes.

“You have?”

“Yes, I just got out of dinner just then.”

“Oh… with who?” I asked, curiously.

“With my date” She said. Just like that, curiosity killed me.

I went silent for a while, not knowing how to process the information. Didn’t we go somewhere with our relationship with the sweet texts and midnight calls?? Did she already forget about me after a couple of weeks not contacting??

“Did I took you away from your date just then?” I asked carefully.

“No, I was waiting for the bus alone. He needs to go back to his office for urgent meeting” She answered nonchalantly and it was tearing me up.

“I thought you’re single” I let it slip.

“I am”

“What??” I turned to face her, ignoring the road for a few second before focusing myself again.

“It was just a date. It wasn’t like I’m in a relationship or anything.” She said simply.

“Was it your first date with him?” I tried to understand her. Maybe it was some blind date that she didn’t enjoy.

“Ummm…” She scrunched her eyebrows, thinking, “Maybe tonight was the…fifth?”

I almost pressed the break pedal, too surprised.

“You had five dates with the same guy and yet you still say you’re single??” I couldn’t believe my ear. Was she heartless?

She looked at me with her forehead crunched.

“But… I am” Her face didn’t seem like she’s a player. Neither was her body language. Then what was it??

“Why would you go on dates with him, if you guys aren’t going out? Do you like him?” I mentally prayed that she’d say no.

“I like him, of course.” She said and again, curiosity kills.

“But, not in a way that I want to be in a relationship him” She continued.

“How can you like a person, dates him few time but not wanting to be in a relationship with him??” I knew I never been in a relationship but… was she dense??

“Of course, you can” She said, smiling bitter. It felt like there was something hidden underneath her frail figure.

I let the topic go. I may didn’t understand it now, but I could be patient and let her tell me all about it in her own pace. I didn’t want to rush it, I want to savour every second. My car was silent before I stopped it in front of a small café. I pulled scarves and beanie from the compartment underneath the dashboard and perfected my disguise. She watched me, as I checked myself in the mirror.

“Lets go” I cocked my head and got out of the car, which she also did.

She followed me from behind as I walked in the small café confidently. A trick to not get caught while wearing a disguise is to be cocky about it. People would be suspicious if a person, wearing scarves, sunglasses and a hat walking quickly and hiding his/her face because it must be an idol. A rookie, inexperienced idol.

I chose a table at the back and motioned her to sit.

“What do you want?” I asked.

“An iced peach green tea would be nice” She looked up to me.

I ordered both our drinks and sat back down in front of her. The atmosphere waes nice, warm and cozy. We started talking comfortably as if we’ve known each other for years. We told each other what we’ve been doing lately and joked about our job. She told me about cases that were funny and weird. It was nice having someone from different world than me, it opened up a new world.

I explained to her JiYong’s situation and the story from our point of view. She dismissed it coolly, saying that soon the public will forget about it and realise that an artist is all about its music, not its private life. This is what attracts me most about her, her simplicity towards life. No drama, no hassle, just plain happiness. And it radiated from her that it made me feel happy too. Being around her gave me strength that everything will be okay in the end.

I drove her back home after 2 hours of talking in the café. We didn’t realize the time until the manager told us that it is closing. We had our head down in embarrassment because we were the only one who didn’t realise that they’ve packed most of the tables away.

“Thank you oppa for taking me home!” She said over the windows of my car when we reached her apartment.

“Anytime, HyeMi” I sweetly smiled at her.

“I’ll see you around” She waved her small hand at me.

“I’ll see you soon” I hinted. Maybe I needed to make her see that I am now in this race, along with her other ‘date’.

She looked at me with her eyebrows wrinkle but dismissed it and smiled instead. She turned to unlock the gate and gone from my sight.

 



It had been weeks since my chase began and I didn’t let every day pass without seeing her face. I would met her before or after I visited JiYong. On good days, I even met her before and after I visited JiYong. I didn’t let her day gone by without seeing me, in hope that by doing so, I could crawl into her heart easily.

Our relationship had gotten closer quickly. She seemed to be more comfortable with me and I was to her. She understood my situation completely so she never let me apologize if I couldn’t take her to where she wanted to go. She was a normal girl with a normal life and she wanted normal relationship. But I couldn’t give any of that, so instead, I gave her everything that I could. I showered her with gifts and flowers that I could see it overwhelmed her sometimes.

Regardless of how close we were getting, there was always something that shadowed her. Something that I didn’t think she was ready to show me just yet. I was not rushing her, but I needed her to trust me so that she could let herself love me.

Today was one of those days where I just left JiYong’s place and she was just finished with her work. We sat on the sofa in the corner of the coffee shop. She wore her usual attorney outfit, which always, I mean ALWAYS turned my head into mush. The way her skirt grabbed her hips as if it taunted me to touch. The way her hair curled at the tip as if asking me to tease. The way her red lips moved made me want to grab it with my own. I guess this was what Jiyong has been talking about. Love with a mixture of lust.

I’ve set my plan straight. I was going to tell her everything today. Even though I’ve been obvious about my feelings for her from the start, she still seemed to be oblivious about it. I didn’t know if she was playing games, or she was simply too innocent to realize, but the way she acted around me didn't show me much acknowledgement. She would bubbly and touchy one second and would be distant and quiet the next. I was going to tell her, about my feelings and my intention. I needed to let her know. Now.

I pulled out a big red heart-shaped pillow from my bag to her surprise.

“..Oppa” She muttered, noticing what I am holding. She was always speechless whenever I showered her with gifts.

“It’s for you” I put it on her lap but she didn’t even move. Her stare was transfixed on the pillow.

“I know it’s cheesy,” I became insecure, seeing her reaction. “But, listen, I recorded something in it”

I pressed the middle part of the pillow and soon enough my voice could be heard from the small speaker within.

 

Since some time ago
I've been call you first, more and more
I already call you baby at the places you aren't at
It's quite funny to me, too

 

You're my chocolate
My sweetest chocolate
I really wanna have you
You, who is so sweet
I wanna have you
Wanna have you

So that you'll be able to lean on me
So that you can feel a nice happiness
I'll give you my everything

 

You're my ice cream
My sweetest ice cream
I really wanna have you
You, who is so sweet
I wanna have you
Wanna have you

The one who gave me the gift of love, that's you
The one person who gave me that dazzling love
That's what you are

 

To you, who is looking at me
I'll sing a song just for you

You're my candy
Lollipop candy
I really wanna kiss you
I really wanna love you

 

 

It was my song from my old solo album, You’re My. I didn’t really get the essence of the song back then, but after I was with her, I could relate to every single word in the lyrics. I played it on the piano and recorded it before I placed it inside the pillow for her to play every time she goes to sleep. I knew it’s cheesy but I’ve always wanted to do this for my girlfriend. I want to sing her lullaby before she goes to sleep every night so that she can sleep dreaming about me.

I looked up to her after the song ends, hoping to see her with a wide teary eyes and a smile as she squeals in delight and embrace me into her hug. I got none. She was sitting, looking down at the pillow, not even touching it. Her body tensed and her eyes were wide in horror.

I didn’t know what was happening. Did I do something wrong? Was this too much that she hated it? Why was her reaction was not what I expected?

I thought I needed to explain this more clearly to avoid any misunderstanding, “HyeMi-ah, I like you and I wa--”

“Hajima” She shook her head. “Oppa, hajima” Her eyes filled with fear and unease with her body quivering.

“What-- ”

“Don’t say those words. Don’t. I-I-I... I need to leave.” She put the pillow on the sofa, grabbed her purse and ran away.
 




Sorry for those who expect a Jiyong-Cheryl chapter!

I just felt that I need to put YoungBae's story in!

Please comment whether you like it or not, because seriously, COMMENT and SUBSCRIBERS are the only two thing that motivates me to write!

Gamsahabnida everyone and hello new subscribers!! ^ ^