If Only She Knew

Midnight Academy

 

Rinka stood, obeying the chains, letting them take control of her wrists and ankles. They hurt, but she didn’t get the pain out of her concentration. Right now, her focus was all on her father.
She gave permission for so many memories to return back to her. Like the ones where her and her father would play around and have a good time. Those of when her father would sometimes grief over her mother, but she never knew where she had went.

But there had been one memory that still hasn’t returned to her, she just couldn’t put her finger on it.

She continued to gaze at her father.
The visible man, yet transparent at the same time. He still looked young. Very young in fact. He looked the same as when he died when she was just nine. He obviously hadn’t aged.

She had so many questions for her father, as though she was expecting a visit from him. But she didn’t. Why did it take him so long to return?
Where did he go?
Did he know that everyone here was a vampire?
Is Jackson burning in hell right now?
Does he still care for her?

Rinka looked up the translucent figure up in down, staring at it incredulously. Her father had only smiled at her, as if he had already seen her these 7 years before. But she wasn’t sure if he hadn’t. He probably didn’t, but she will never know unless she asks.

She couldn’t find the right words in ; only to escape from her lips, was the word, “father”. Was it really him? Or was she just imagining things too easily. This school has been giving her a hard time with all their secrets.

Rinka drawed a breath, allowing tears to sting her eyes.
“Father.” She repeated; nothing else could come out. She knew this was him. It could not have possibly been someone else. He was wearing the exact clothing he had on before the battle with Jackson. It truly was him.

I have visited you, Rinka.”

That voice from before, when the school had come back from training, that chiller and cold voice had returned to her memory. Her father had been the one who said that! He had visited her before but she couldn’t visually see him! She was too blind to tell that it had been her father! Who else would it have been?!

But, there was another voice; that powerful sentence that seemed to get Rinka nervous and shaky. That sentence that seemed to falter everything into its place, but still not make logic to Rinka. That sentence, that would seem to be too complicated to understand, yet simple to grasp.

That sentence, that sentence that came from that same chiller and cold voice. And that sentence was,
Ren will be your fate.”

Would Ren really be her fate? That was her father’s voice telling her that all along! But how would he know. He cannot forsee what the future holds. He was probably just playing cold tricks on his daughter; like the good old times.

She wasn’t even sure herself if she even had feelings for Ren. Yes, he was a nice and attractive guy, but there was some emptiness when she’s around him. But usually, his very appearance infront of her, lets all of her emptiness feed away.

As if Ren was some sort of healer that could cure some of her loneliness, but there was someone else who had come to her mind. JR.

Her own words began to attack her; criticizing her even know they were meant to give JR a bad name.
“I don’t want to be protected by a monster!”
She was disgusted by her own words, her own mouth. Little did she know back there that he really was a monster. A blood monster. Ren was trying to explain that to her all along, but he couldn’t.

Either way, her father’s voice had been with her all along. She tried telling herself it was just a prank.  But she knew she was only lying to herself as she thought that. Her dad was probably dead on serious. No tactics. No accusations. No tricks. No April Fools. Dead. Serious.

Rinka slowly uncurled her fingers out of fists, watching the translucent figure: her father, taking steps towards her, as though he had never seen her before.  He suddenly reached out and her hair soothingly, just like he would when she was younger.

“Yes, It’s your father, Rinka. Kim Ilhoon. And you are my daughter, birth name, Kim Rinka. Adoptive name, Park Rinka. I would have never let them change your name. It’s too precious. But the meaning itself, would scare predators off.” His voice was soothing like it was normally, he didn’t pay attention to the bloody marks on Rinka’s neck that belonged to Ren, even though he was angry about them.

He calmed down, notifying himself that it would be okay. Rinka only stared at him, smiling big, letting a single tear fall. It may have just been a tear, but it had been a tear that expressed all of her feelings.

Sadness, depression, confusion, sickness, love, hatred, and most of all, betrayed. She felt betrayed by Ren. How could he have thought to do such a thing?

Unalarmed, Rinka spoke, but her brain hadn’t acknowledged it yet; her lips did.
“F-Father, you came.” The fact that he had come in an all white room, with her about to transform into a vampire, was quite awkward. Though, she didn’t care. It was her father. And he made her a promise; he returned it.

“How could I not come? You’ve grown so much. Chorong has taken care of you well.” He smiled looking at her chained wrists and ankles, his heart tearing into shards, not able to be recreated or put together ever, until he heard his daughter’s voice for the fourth time, his heart healed suddenly.

“How do you know about Chorong?” Rinka questioned in confusion. He had been dead all this time, he wasn’t there for her adoption. He had been in his grave, resting solemnly, his powers still within him.

“I know more than you think I do, Rinka.” He smiled at his daughter once more. He was proud of her complexion : average height, slim figure. A strong and powerful jawline, firey hair color that had originated from herself. No one else from the family had her hair color.

He studied her harder, then he eyes fell to her neck again. Disappointed at the marks Ren had made.
His little princess, the one that would wake up in the morning to make sure her father was in bed, and not in battle, had been chained against the wall preventing anything rash to happen, all because of a boy who thought it would be cute to transform her into a yakshu.

Rinka smiled at her father, more than happy to see him.
“I never got the chance to tell you how much I loved you.” Her voice sounded as though she regretted something, such a rueful tone, that almost made Kim Ilhoon himself cringe. He despised hearing that type of sadness linger through his daughter’s lips.

He wanted nothing but happiness in her life. Him leaving and dying on her like he had, wasn’t helping.
Now that he thought about it, she had told him that she loved him almost every second of the day. He meant the world to her; she meant the world to him.

“Rinka…”
“You didn’t let me finish, father. I never got the chance to tell you how much I love and appreciate you, while I’m human. After 24 hours, I’ll be finished,” Rinka began her cycle of tears again, “I’ll be into one of those beings who thirst for blood dad! I can’t turn into that! I don’t want to become a vampire!” Rinka’s tears overflowed as she her wrists forward, hoping that one hard tug would set her free, but it only made her look like a weakling. The weakling that she truly was.

He grabbed her wrist comfortingly, to inform her that there shouldn’t be any agitation. He looked down at their arms. Her sleeves showed through his transparent fingers, though he could still grasp her; get a hold of her.
 Her father wasn’t worried at all about the transformation, he was only worried for the pain that this has cause for his daughter.

“Shhhh~,” He replied in a soothing tone, almost as if it were a lullaby, “Rinka, everything will be fine.” He comforted her, as Rinka began to give into her father’s words.

If only she knew, her father thought sighing to himself, but smiling at his daughter reassuringly.
If only she knew. 

 

***

Another dream has ended, but I'll show you a new one, next night.