4

It All Begins With A Choice

 

Narrator’s POV

 

Kris winced as Sekyung kept on talking while they were having their meal. Even Minyoung looked disturbed as the lady kept on praising every utensil on the dining table.

Chaerin also felt a little embarrassed.

“Minyoung you should show your jie jie around after this.”

“Jie jie?” She asked. She was confused.

“Chaerin’s older than you.” Lay said in Mandarin.

“Oh.”

Chaerin and her mother blinked, they didn’t expect them to talk like that.

“But, agung about tomorrow I might need~”

“Minyoung, they can’t understand you.” Lay reminded in Korean.

“Oh, right. Haraboji, I have this school thing tomorrow. I’m heading over to Busan.”

“Well, just ask the driver~”

“Myungsoo’s driving, it’s okay.” She nodded.

“Myungsoo? That friend of yours?” Kris asked. Lay chuckled.

 

 

“Eomma, are you sure about this?” Chaerin looked at the two black and white photographs on her hands.

One was a family of picture of the Lees. In it was Chaerin’s mother and her older brother, Junhee’s father.

The next was a photo of Junhee’s father carrying an infant Junhee.

“Of course. Chaerin-ah,

Sekyung sat beside her daughter.

“This is our only way of escaping this life of ours. We don’t have to work anymore.”

“But Junhee she’s the real~”

“I know, but she’s been living with us, I’ve been supporting her all the while. This should at least make up for it, right?”

Chaerin nodded, then she clenched her jaw.

“But eomma, once we start this act…there is no going back.”

“I know that daughter, now hurry and get your things ready.” Sekyung chided before leaving the room.

Chaerin stood up and looked at her reflection.

“Gu Chaerin will be a Jiang from now on. I am the Jiang granddaughter.”

 

 

“Open forum…starts now.” Minyoung sat on the floor with her legs crossed. Tao was lying on his belly while Lay was munching on some chips.

“Open forum?” Kris strolled with his hands in his pockets. The four of them were inside the dojo.

“About her, she doesn’t look like Auntie Qing Mong, at all.”  Lay shrugged.

“Maybe…she takes after her dad.” Minyoung intervened.

Kris sat beside her.

“I don’t really like her. She seems so….pretentious.” Tao said.

“And you’re mean.” Minyoung nodded.

Kris sighed.

“Maybe she was just nervous, its her first time meeting her family, Tao.” Kris said.

“Angry bird gege has a point.” Minyoung nodded. Kris poked her waist.

“When is Lulu going home?” She asked.

“I don’t know, he says he’s busy.” Tao replied.

 

Minyoung’s POV

 

“So do you get along with her? Your cousin.” Myungsoo asked. He was driving us to the business center at Busan.

“She’s okay. I haven’t really talked to her, I was busy last night.”

“Heejun asked for your number. I didn’t give it. Why do you have so many guys parading after you? And what? Do I look like some kind of secretary to them? Pestering me about your contact numbers.”

I chuckled. Myungsoo was good at scaring people off.

“Lat night, I talk with my geges.”

“So?”

“Tao gege says she finds her too pretentious, I think he’s just being…mean.”

 

 

“How was your trip, mei?”

I blinked.

“You’re home early.” I stated. Kris ge chuckled.

“We have this event to go to, and you have an hour to prepare.” He smiled.

“Do I really have to come?” I tossed my bag on the couch.

“Is Chaerin unnie coming with us, gege?”

“Yes.”

“Mei, this afternoon, agung he asked for a DNA test from Chaerin.”

“Really? I thought she had pictures with her and stuff, enough to prove that she is agung’s granddaughter.”

Kris ge sat down.

“Yeah she does. But…..I’m only going to tell this to you, I think its weird.”

“What is, ge?”

“Her aunt, Mrs. Gu actually said that they’ll do it tomorrow, why not now? The laboratory only needs a strand of her hair.”

I chuckled.

“You’ve been watching too much movies ge.”

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++