Chapter 29

Forever In Your Eyes (Sequel to Only You)

 

Lay didn't move an inch, nothing could make him move. It was as if someone cemented his feet to the floor. As he watched Kris, Kai, and Jessica balling their eyes out, not one single tear fell from his eyes. His hand was stained with Sehun's blood still as he still held the letter Sehun gave him. His mind was completely blank when he read the letter and he hoped everything in this letter was a lie.

“Lay?” Jessica cried. “Lay?”

“What?” Lay's voice was monotone and bleak, not like his usual cheerful tone. “Jessica...”

“What is it Lay?” Jessica noticed Lay's blood stained hand and the letter in it. She reached for it slowly, but Lay swiped it away before she could. “Lay, what is that?”

“Sehun... He gave it to me before he left,” Lay said.

“Let me read it!” Jessica tried reaching for the letter, but Lay kept it away keeping it high away from her. “Lay give me the letter!”

“No! It's for Luhan and Ji Hyun!”

“What's for me?” Jessica and Lay froze when they heard Luhan's voice. He stood there completely oblivious of what just happened a couple minutes ago.

“Luhan...” Jessica cried weakly. “Sehun, he's going to die.”

“What don't you mean Ji Hyun?”

Jessica just embraced Luhan in a hug as her tears started spilling over again. “Sehun, h-h-h-he g-g-ot into an ac-accident. He's dying... There was so much blood.”

“What? Where is he?” Luhan looked at Lay hoping that it was joke, when he saw no emotion in Lay's eyes, he saw it was true.

“The doctor's said they would do the best they could... But I don't think they can do anything,” Jessica buried her face in Luhan's shoulder trying to muffle her crying so she would cause a huge scene.

A surgeon walked out of the emergency room, he looked exhausted and almost like he's given up hope. Jessica, Kris, Lay, and Kai waited, while Luhan just stood their in shock, almost like how Lay was a moment ago.

“Are you close friends with Oh Sehun?” the surgeon asked.

“Yes, is he okay?” Kris wondered. “Can we see him yet?”

“Sehun has suffered a lot of blood lost, his ribs are crushed and his lungs are punctured. He's life support and his in a coma, but I don't think he has very much time left,” the surgeon explained.

“Can we see him?” Kris repeated. “That's all we want, is to see him.”

“Yes, you may see him,” he replied. “I'll take you to his room.”

They followed the surgeon to Sehun's room, Luhan was the only one who was far behind. He was still trying to grasp the fact that his friend was dying. He wasn't sure what to feel because of the fact that Ji Hyun was just a couple rooms away holding onto her life as well. Kris stood in front of the door afraid to open it, but mostly he was scared about what he would see on the other side.

“Are you going to go in?” the surgeon asked.

“Uh... Yeah,” Kris said reluctantly. He slowly opened the door and walked in with the others following him close behind. Just to see Sehun completely unconscious with an oxygen mask on his face, and almost his entire head completely bandaged up. All their hearts completely dropped like they saw this for the first time, even though they saw Ji Hyun like this a couple hours ago.

“Sehun!” Jessica pushed Kris out of the way, she caressed Sehun's cheek as she rested her head on his forehead. “I love you Sehun, don't leave us please.” Tears trickled down Jessica's face as she still held onto Sehun.

“Luhan, what do we do?” Lay asked. Luhan didn't respond but instead just looked down at his feet so no one would see his tears.

“How much time does he have left?” Kris asked the surgeon.

“A day, maybe even less,” the surgeon estimated.

“What if he wakes up?” Kai asked hopeful.

“He won't,” he replied. “I'm sorry.”

“What are we supposed to do? Just sit here and watch him die?” Jessica cried. “Sehun...”

“That's all we can do,” Kai said sadly. He grabbed a chair and sat down beside Jessica and buried his face in his hands.

“Um... Can I talk to you along Luhan?” Lay asked. “Lets go talk in the hallway.”

“Okay,” Luhan followed Lay to the hall leaving the other three alone to mourn for Sehun. “What is it Lay?”

“This is for you,” Lay handed Luhan the letter. “Sehun gave this to me before he went into surgery, it's for you and Ji Hyun.”

“Did you already read this?” Luhan asked.

“Yes, I did... I guess Sehun kind of planned for himself to die, but not like this.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Just read the letter.” Lay walked back into the room and closed the door leaving Luhan in the hall alone. The letter was a little crumpled and there were a couple bloodstains smudging the words, but Luhan could still read it. He took a deep breath before reading the letter and finally he looked back down at the paper feeling mixed emotions. Sehun wrote:

Hyung,

With all the things going on in your life you probably won't be able to read this until much later when I'm already gone. I guess you can say this is kind of like my will since I don't actually have enough time to write an actual will. Before I actually start, I just want to say thank you for everything. Our friendship was quite a roller coaster wasn't it? It was almost like the universe was telling us not to be friends, almost like how the universe was trying to tell you and Ji Hyun that you two shouldn't be together, but look at you two now? I'm going to miss you when I die, I'm going to miss all of you because you were all my friends. You were all apart of me. I've had so many memories with each of you I'm going to be sad when I have to let them all go. You want to know what popped into my head just right now? I remember that day a couple years ago, when you first called me after months of silence from you, you finally called me, your best friend. You told me you wanted to meet me at the cafe since you needed to talk to me and Kris about your problems. It was strange that you came back to Seoul so quickly just so you could talk to your friends about your problems. Of course as your friend I came to your aid and when I saw how stressed you were feeling, I felt a little lost since you felt lost. That day you were complaining about how badly you were playing the piano and how the critics were harsh. Then Kris asked the question that sort of threw you off, “Luhan, have you ever liked a girl before?” Back then you were a boy of music rather than a boy of love. You were completely oblivious to everything but music, your language. Then, how could any of us forgot? Hwan Ji Hyun. Your muse, your new best friend. She was your person. You two have been through it all and you brought the best child into the world, Tae Joon. He's looks like you, but he has Ji Hyun's eyes. He told me, “Goodbye hyung,” in a way you could say that he knew I was going to leave.
Well, this is my last request for you hyung, since I don't ask for much I thought this would be simple for you. When I die I want you to give my heart to Ji Hyun. It'll feel like I never left, because that part of me will be apart of Ji Hyun. You could sort of say that I loved Ji Hyun almost as much as you did, so it's only fair that I give her the thing I loved her with. This is my goodbye to you and Ji Hyun, but this isn't my goodbye to the others. My goodbyes to them are back at home, so you won't need to tell them about this letter. This is just for you and Ji Hyun.

Sehun

P.S. Please don't tell Ji Hyun that it was my heart she has now.

Walking back into the room, Luhan folded the letter back and shoved it in his purse. It was almost as if the world stopped and he couldn't move. If he could make the world stop he would just to keep Sehun alive, but if he did stop time, then Ji Hyun would never get better.

“Luhan, what does the letter say?” Jessica asked.

“He's okay with dying.” The words coming out of Luhan's mouth felt like venom. “He wants to give his heart to Ji Hyun.”

“What?” Jessica snatched the letter from Luhan and scanned the paper trying to make sure it was true. “Damn it... Why would he want this?”

“I don't know,” Luhan muttered, he looked down at Sehun. “Why would he do this?”

“You should probably go check on Ji Hyun,” Kris suggested. “I guess once Sehun... Ji Hyun will go into surgery and...” Kris couldn't even finish the sentence, he wouldn't.

“Okay I will, but I'll be back, I want to be with Sehun.”

“Wait, I'll come with you too,” Kai said as he followed Luhan out of the room and into the halls. Ji Hyun's room was only a couple rooms down, so it was very much of a long walk.

“Appa!”

Luhan looked up and saw Tae Joon running up to him. Ha Joon and Chanyeol were close behind him.

“Tae Joon!” Luhan grabbed Tae Joon hugging him tightly. “I missed you.”

“I missed you too appa!”

Luhan glared at Chanyeol, “Why did you bring him here?”

“Sorry, but I had to,” Chanyeol replied.

“Where's hyung?” Ha Joon asked.

“Which one?” Kai asked.

“Sehun.”

Luhan knelt down in front of Ha Joon so they were able to see eye to eye. “Ha Joon, hyung isn't feeling well... So I don't think you should see him.”

“He's dying isn't he?” Ha Joon looked down already knowing that Sehun was never waking up. “That's why I said goodbye to him before he left, but can I see him again?”

“No, I don't think that's a good idea,” Luhan said.

“Did you want to walk with me Tae Joon? You want to walk with Kai hyung?” Kai asked Tae Joon.

“I want to stay with appa,” Tae Joon whined.

“You want to go get some ice cream in the cafeteria?” Kai asked.

“Hm... Okay!” Tae Joon grabbed Kai's hand and started running dragging Kai along.

Kai turned to Luhan, “Don't worry I got him.”

Luhan's attention went back to Ha Joon, who eyes seemed distant as he watched Kai and Tae Joon leave. “Ha Joon, did you want to go see Ji Hyun?” Luhan asked.

Ha Joon shook his head, “I'm going to see her tomorrow and the next day and the day after that. Can I see hyung?”

“Really want to see him that bad?”

“Yes.”

“Okay.”

“Actually,” Ha Joon stopped himself. “I think you should see him, he is your best friend. I want you to talk to Sehun and you should bring Ha Joon too.”

“Okay, but what about you? I thought you wanted to talk to Sehun.”

“I do, but I think you should.”

Jessica walked out of the room, tears still streaming down her face. She approached Luhan like she never have before. Almost like she was afraid to even look at him.

“Luhan... Sehun... You should come, the doctor says he doesn't have that much time left,” Jessica said.

Luhan nodded and turned back to Ha Joon. “What should to tell him?” Luhan felt silly asking a little boy for advice.

“Just tell him thank you,” Ha Joon replied.

When Luhan and Tae Joon walked in everyone was gone; it was just him, Tae Joon and Sehun now. He took the spot right next to Sehun's bedside. The only sound anyone could hear was the clock ticking, every second was precious to Luhan now as he only had minutes maybe even seconds left with his best friend. Tae Joon stood on his toes to get a better look at Sehun.

“Appa,” Tae Joon whimpered. “Uncle Sehun sick?”

Luhan tried to hold back his tears. “Yeah Uncle Sehun is sick...”

“Oh... Is he going to get better?”

“I'm not sure... Sehun,” Luhan's mouth was dry and his voice was getting raspy. “Are you really leaving us?” It was strange how there was no response from Sehun and it was just dead silence. “Sehun, if you leave... Who is going to yell at me when I do something stupid? Who's going to help me when I do something stupid and Ji Hyun won't forgive me?”

Luhan still had the crumpled letter in his hand. “I love you Sehun, you were like my little brother, but I feel like I should be mad at you... I'm mad at you for doing this! I didn't ask you to do this for me or Ji Hyun, but you did! I don't want to lose Ji Hyun, but at the same time I don't want to lose you either.” Tears streamed down causing Luhan's voice to crack. “I-I c-can't let you die... I want you here to see me and Ji Hyun together and help us raise our kids. You're my best friend.”

Within minutes, the heart monitor flatlined and Sehun was gone. It was almost like a surreal dream to Luhan. He saw how Sehun's chest stopped heaving up and down and how Sehun became even more pale than he already was.

Tae Joon heard the flatline sound and even though he was too young to even know what that meant he saw the pain in his father's eyes and the tears rolling. He gently brought his hand to Sehun's cold cheek and patted it. “I love you Uncle Sehun...”


 

“We're getting both Ji Hyun and Sehun prepped for surgery,” the doctor told Luhan and the others. “It won't take long, but Ji Hyun will probably be out for a while and once she rest she'll feel good as new so you won't need to worry.” Everyone just nodded at what the doctor said, nothing coming out of anyone's mouths.

“Is this going to be the last problem Ji Hyun will have?” Luhan asked.

“For her heart than yes. Sehun had a strong heart, so I think Ji Hyun is in good hands,” the doctor replied. “Now, if you excuse me I have to go.”

Everyone turned to each other after the doctor left. It seemed strange without Sehun there, it felt like they were all complete strangers meeting for the first time.

“I don't think I want to be here anymore,” Kai muttered. “I think I'm going to go now... Luhan, call me when Ji Hyun's done with surgery, okay?”

“I will,” Luhan said.

“Me too, I think I'm going to go too,” Lay told Luhan. “Sorry.”

“It's okay, you should all go, I'll stay,” Luhan said. “I think you all need your sleep.”

“Won't you get lonely?” Jessica wondered.

“Don't worry I have Tae Joon we'll be fine,” Luhan assured. “You should all go and get some rest.”

Once everyone left it was just Luhan and Tae Joon sitting down in the waiting room, anxiously waiting for Ji Hyun. Tae Joon was humming a song while playing with his toys when he looked up at his father. He saw how tired and gray Luhan was and wanted to help make his father feel better.

“I love you appa,” Tae Joon had a bright smile on his face hoping to help lighten the mood.

“I love you too,” Luhan replied.