Chapter 1

Forever In Your Eyes (Sequel to Only You)

 

             After dropping Ha Joon off at home, Luhan headed back to his home. Mrs. Hwan gave Luhan some food to take some Ji Hyun just in case she was hungry, but she wasn’t in the mood to cook. Luhan was going to refuse the food, since their fridge was filled with food from Mrs. Hwan and Mrs. Xi and yet Luhan and Ji Hyun actually had the chance to even finish it all.

            Ji Hyun was at home like what she’s been doing for the past month. Every day she would do the same thing, wake up, clean (even though there was nothing to clean), and go into the baby’s nursery thinking about how there was no baby for the nursery. Luhan, never went into the nursery after the baby died, nor did he want to.

            “Ji Hyun? I’m home!” Luhan placed the food Mrs. Hwan gave him in the fridge and looked around for his wife. “Ji Hyun?” Luhan looked around the house for Ji Hyun. She wasn’t in the living room or in their room. He felt the gut wrenching feeling that she was probably in the nursery. To everyone it was a nursery, but to Luhan it was his daughter’s nursery, a daughter he would never hold or play with.

            “I’m in here,” Ji Hyun walked out of the nursery, slowly closing the door behind her. “Hi.”

            “What were you doing in the nursery?” Luhan asked.

            “Nothing, just… Thinking.”

            Luhan wrapped his arms around Ji Hyun and kissed her lightly on her forehead. “I love you.”

            “I love you too.”

            “Maybe tomorrow you should go back to work? Or if you want you can go out with Jessica. I think she misses hanging out with girls,” Luhan suggested.

            “Actually, I’m going somewhere tomorrow,” Ji Hyun said.

            “Oh, where?”

            “I’m going to the doctor’s,” Ji Hyun replied smiling.

            “Why? Did you want me to come with you?” Luhan was a little confused at how happy Ji Hyun looked telling him she was going to the hospital.

            “No, don’t worry it’s just for a check-up,” Ji Hyun could see the worry in Luhan’s face and could tell he wasn’t really as happy as him. “Don’t worry, it’s nothing bad.” Ji Hyun leaned in and kissed Luhan softly on the cheek. “Just because I’m going to the hospital doesn’t mean it’s bad.”

            “I know, but… don’t think that just because what happened doesn’t mean we can’t try again.”

            Ji Hyun just smiled and headed to their room. In a way, Luhan regretted saying that, hoping that it didn’t make her feel bad. When Luhan, walked into the room, Ji Hyun was already sound asleep in bed. He made his way into bed slowly caressing Ji Hyun’s silky hair. He felt bad every time he left Ji Hyun alone at home. Today she seemed a little better than how she’s been the past couple of weeks. A couple weeks ago she barely said a word to Luhan let alone told him she loved him. Hopefully, to whatever the reason Ji Hyun was going to the hospital for, Luhan hoped it wouldn’t make Ji Hyun even more depressed.

 

            The hospital always made Ji Hyun feel uncomfortable. She never liked the fact that the hospital was mostly a place where people came to die. Ji Hyun was waiting for her doctor to come and while she was waiting she had so many questions. Was she going to have another baby? Could she have another baby? What if she couldn’t? How would she tell Luhan? Ji Hyun knew that Luhan always wanted a child, he loved kids. He would be heart-broken if Ji Hyun told him she couldn’t get pregnant again. Another question that popped up in was, would Luhan leave her if she couldn’t have a baby? She felt her heartache just thinking about Luhan leaving her.

            Ji Hyun’s doctor, Dr. Choi walked in making her heart race all she heard was the loud thumping noise.

            “Mrs. Xi,” Dr. Choi started, she opened the folder in her hand examining the paper inside. It didn’t dawn until now to Ji Hyun that she was also Mrs. Xi, although she preferred to just be called Ji Hyun.

            “Is anything wrong?” Ji Hyun asked. She was prepared for any answer, even though she wasn’t exactly prepared for the worst. She just knew that if something bad happened, she wouldn’t be able to do anything about it.

            Dr. Choi pulled up a chair sitting down in front of Ji Hyun. “Ji Hyun, everything looks fine. Maybe in a month or two you and Luhan can try again.”

            “Thank you Dr. Choi,” Ji Hyun got up feeling a surge of happiness.

            “If there’s anything you need feel free to call.”

            “I will.”

            “Oh, there is something I need to talk to you about though Ji Hyun,” Dr. Choi said before Ji Hyun could walk out the door.

            “Okay, what?”

 

            Luhan couldn’t help but think about calling Ji Hyun to see if she was alright. All day he was thinking about her doctor’s appointment. He was worried about the negative rather than the positive. Now Luhan was taking his piano career a little slower, he’s just been giving lessons while Ji Hyun decided to work at Mrs. Xi’s bridal store again. He finished his last lesson for the day and was just pressing the keys one by one. The door opened making a creaking noise; Luhan looked up and saw Kris and Lay.

            “What are you two doing here?” Luhan asked.

            “Nice to see you too,” Lay said sarcastically. “We wanted to see how you were feeling.”

            “I’m fine.”

            “You’re fine?” Kris repeated. “Is that it?”

            “Yeah, where’s Jessica? I thought you were hanging out with her today,” Luhan asked.

            “We were, but Ji Hyun called to talk to her about something,” Kris said.

            “Really? About what?” Luhan felt a little panicked wondering if Ji Hyun had bad news, but didn’t want to tell him first.

            “Don’t worry I’m pretty sure they’re talking about girl stuff,” Kris assured.

            “Girl stuff?” Lay looked at Kris with a questionable face. “Like what?”

            “You know… Girl stuff.”

            “No… No not really,” Lay admitted.

            “What is something happened at the doctor’s? What if she doesn’t want to come home? What if she runs away?” Luhan asked completely oblivious to the ridiculous short conversation between Lay and Kris. “You know yesterday, was the first time in weeks I saw her smiling.”

            “Isn’t that a good thing?” Kris pointed out.

            “That’s not the point. What if something bad is going on and she just doesn’t want to tell me?”

            “Or maybe she’s just happy?” Lay wasn’t sure how to react to Luhan’s worried questions. “Are married couples always like this? If one is happy the other isn’t?”

            “That’s not the point, you know what the point is?” Luhan said.

            “What?” Kris asked.

            Luhan looked down, noticing his wedding band on his ring finger. “I don’t think I can take it if something happens to Ji Hyun… What if we’re not able to have kids?”

            “Luhan, it was just one accident, it’s no big deal… You two will have a child,” Lay assured.

            “You know sometimes I think she’s going to forget about me again,” Luhan admitted.

           

            Jessica was scanning through her phone as she was waiting for Ji Hyun to meet her at the café. Ji Hyun asked Jessica to meet her about thirty minutes ago and Jessica was starting to get impatient. Even though Jessica was getting a little irritated, she was happy that Ji Hyun was finally talking to her since the accident. When she finally saw Ji Hyun walk in, she stuffed her phone back into her purse and tightly hugged Ji Hyun.

            “Oh my gosh, I can’t believe you actually came! I thought you were going to change your mind!” Jessica was still clinging on to Ji Hyun, squeezing almost all the air in Ji Hyun’s body.

            “I… can’t… breathe,” Ji Hyun wheezed.

            “Oh, sorry.” Jessica sat back down. “How have you been? I mean, are you okay? Is there something wrong? Did Luhan do something to you?”

            “I’ve been good, I guess you can say I’m okay, there’s nothing wrong, and no, Luhan didn’t do anything,” Ji Hyun replied to all those questions in one breath. “I actually just wanted to talk.”

            “Okay, about what?” 

            “Do you think I could ever forget something important?” Ji Hyun asked.

            “Something important? Like what? A birthday? A doctor’s appointment?” Jessica wasn’t quite sure what Ji Hyun was trying to interpret, but didn’t seem to make much sense.

            “Something important, like… A person,” Ji Hyun corrected.

            “Well, you forgot Luhan, but then you regained your memory. Right?” Jessica pointed out.

            “My memory is kind of like a mosaic,” Ji Hyun explained. “There are fragments, but I can’t ever really fully remember… To be honest, I don’t remember anything.”

            Jessica sighed. “Even if you can’t remember the much older times you spent with Luhan, you can still love the year and half you’ve spent with Luhan. Did you go to the doctor like you said you would earlier?”

            “Yes.”

            “What did she say?”

            “She said that if Luhan and I want, then we can try again.”

            “That’s great! So are you two? I mean, is it too soon?”

            Ji Hyun started playing with her wedding ring, twisting it on her finger. “I’m sort of afraid to.”

            “What do you mean?” Jessica asked. “Don’t you want to have a baby?”

            “You know that one day…” Ji Hyun felt her voice trembling. “You know that one day, Luhan and I… We were so excited, we thought she was coming.” She felt her heart crumble at the thought. “The doctor said I said… We- I didn’t do anything wrong.”

            Jessica reached for Ji Hyun’s hand gently caressing it. “You didn’t… You or Luhan didn’t do anything wrong.”

            “I know Luhan didn’t do anything wrong, but… I can’t help but feel like I did something wrong. Was I not healthy enough? What did I do wrong?” Tears started rolling down Ji Hyun’s face. “Maybe I’m just not fit to have a child.”

            “Ji Hyun, it’s not like you can’t try again.”

            “I know, but what if things just don’t work out.”

            “You don’t know that.” Jessica smiled in hopes that it would make Ji Hyun feel any better.

            By the time Ji Hyun got home, she could hear Luhan tinkering away in his music room. She slowly made her way to his sanctuary, when she walked past the nursery. For a moment, she started thinking about whether Luhan has even gone into the nursery. Probably not. Ji Hyun just sighed and continued her way to Luhan’s music room. She slowly opened the door and saw Luhan. He was just sitting there looking down at the keys.

            “Luhan, are you okay?” Ji Hyun asked.

            Luhan smiled at his wife and got up embracing her in a hug. “I’m okay, how was your doctor’s appointment? What did Dr. Choi say?”

            “She said… Everything’s fine,” Ji Hyun replied.

            “That’s great!” Luhan wrapped his arm around Ji Hyun’s waist and rested his forehead on hers. Slowly he leaned in brushing his lips on hers. “You know what I’m thinking?”

            Ji Hyun slowly backed away. “We should go get some fresh air?”

            The next thing Luhan knew, instead of spending inside time with Ji Hyun, he was walking through the park with Ji Hyun. Ji Hyun held Luhan’s hand like it was the last time she ever would.

            “I like coming to the park,” Ji Hyun said. “I miss coming with you.”

            “Yeah, me too,” Luhan muttered.

            Ever since the incident, Ji Hyun felt the awkwardness increase between her and Luhan. She wasn’t sure how long it was going to last or if it was going to last forever. To her, she felt the awkwardness wouldn’t be gone until she got pregnant again or at least until Luhan was able to go into the nursery.

            Ji Hyun stopped in front of the rose shaped fountain. Memories burst in both their thoughts.

            Ji Hyun took out a coin from her pocket and gave it to Luhan. “You still have to make a wish.”

            “Really?” Luhan grabbed the coin from Ji Hyun. “Why don’t you make a wish?”

            “I already made a wish, when I wished that you were happy,” Ji Hyun reminded. “Remember? Although, I don’t think I wished hard enough.”

            “Why would you think that? I am happy. I’m always happy. Are you happy?”

            “Why wouldn’t I be happy?” Ji Hyun stood on her toes and lightly kissed Luhan’s cheek. Even though Ji Hyun was his wife, Luhan still blushed anytime Ji Hyun kissed him anywhere.

            “We should both be happy,” Luhan replied.

            “Luhan, there’s actually something I wanted to tell you.”

            “What?”

            Ji Hyun could see the brightness in Luhan’s face, his smile and twinkle in his eyes made Ji Hyun’s heart pound and her knees weak. “I love you.”

            “I love you too.” Luhan brought Ji Hyun closer. “I don’t know what I would do without you.”