Chapter 20

Forever In Your Eyes (Sequel to Only You)

 

            Summer rain was what Jessica hated the most, because she wasn’t exactly a rain lover. She wanted to go over to Ji Hyun’s house to tell her about Kris coming over yesterday and how she dissed him. The rain was falling pretty hard and Jessica had to run and bang on Ji Hyun’s door hoping Ji Hyun would answer the door. Ji Hyun opened the door and to Jessica she looked like a complete mess. Ji Hyun’s face looked gray, there were bags under her eyes, and her hair was in the messiest ponytail.

            “Ji Hyun are you okay?” Jessica asked as she stepped inside the house to avoid getting drenched by the rain.

            “Actually no I’m not,” Ji Hyun replied.

            “Where’s Tae Joon?”

            “He’s next door with Luhan.”

            “Oh…” Jessica made her way to the kitchen to make herself a cup of coffee. “I have something to tell you.”

            “Okay, what?” Ji Hyun asked.

            “Kris and I talked about marriage and I told him that I wanted to be like you and Luhan, well before you two got divorced,” Jessica told Ji Hyun. “But I still love Kris, so what should I do? Should I get back with Kris? But then if I get back with Kris than I’ll look weak for giving in and Kris will probably think he’s the boss of the relationship. Or what if Kris doesn’t even care about me anymore? I don’t know what to do, what should I do?”

            “I don’t think you should really be asking me for advice,” Ji Hyun replied so quiet, Jessica could hardly hear her.

            “What? Why not?”

            Ji Hyun took a deep breath and already tears started to form. “Last night I confessed to Luhan that I love him and-“

            “And? Finally?!” Jessica shouted. “Oh, I mean… Go on.”

            “I told Luhan that I loved him and he didn’t say anything.”

            “What? Why not?”

            “Yoona called so he really didn’t have to say anything because he said he loved her…”

            “I’m sorry Ji Hyun,” Jessica hugged her best friend letting her cry her heart out.

            “I-I-I love L-Luhan and I-I d-don’t k-know why I didn’t r-r-realize i-it sooner,” Ji Hyun said in between sobs. She grabbed a tissue and blew her nose. After a couple minutes, Ji Hyun pulled herself together. “I’m sorry Jessica, we should be talking about you and Kris not me and Luhan.”

            “No it’s okay. This is more important,” Jessica insisted. “Luhan is being an idiot, he’ll probably call you to tell you he loves you too. So don’t worry about it.”

           

            Luhan took Tae Joon over to Mrs. Xi’s house so he would have someone to talk to other than his friends. He could tell that they were a little annoyed with him and his women issues and it was pretty obvious they didn’t want to hear anymore. Every time Luhan brought Tae Joon over to his mother’s house, she never actually played with Tae Joon. She would sit and watch him play with his toys and just drink tea or do work. Just like every other day it was no different as Mrs. Xi had her reading glasses on and was shuffling through papers while Tae Joon was playing with his toys and Luhan was just standing there waiting for his mom to acknowledge him. Perhaps that’s why Tae Joon liked Mr. and Mrs. Hwan so much better, for they actually played with him.

            Mrs. Xi glanced up at her son and realized he was just staring at her. “Luhan, did you need something?”

            “Yeah mom, actually I did need something. I need to talk to you about something,” Luhan replied.

            “Luhan, don’t worry your piano career isn’t completely dead, it’s still alive… Somewhere,” Mrs. Xi assured as she went back to shuffling through papers and marking tiny things on them with her pen.

            “No mom, it’s not that, it’s about Ji Hyun.”

            Mrs. Xi’s eyes shot up and she put the papers neatly on her desk. Her posture straightened and all her attention was on Luhan. “What about Ji Hyun?”

            “Mom, last night Ji Hyun told me she still loved me.”

            “And? What did you say?”

            “Nothing, because Yoona called me before I could say anything,” Luhan said.

            “Oh, good, is that it?”            

            “But mom, what should I do? Don’t you think Ji Hyun will want to talk to me about this sooner or later?”

            “Luhan, you simply just tell her that you don’t love her back, it’s not that hard.”

            “But mom, what if I still do love Ji Hyun?”

            “Luhan, that’s absurd, I’m pretty sure you don’t love Ji Hyun. It was just a little feeling you had because she said it to you and you felt obligated to say it back because you felt sorry for her,” Mrs. Xi replied. “Besides you love Yoona don’t you?”

            “I do care about Yoona, but I don’t know. Something doesn’t feel right when I’m with Yoona… But when I’m with Ji Hyun-“

            “Luhan don’t finish that sentence,” Mrs. Xi interrupted. “Why do you want to be with Ji Hyun? She’ll hurt you and I certainly think Yoona is a much better choice for you.”

            “But I do love Ji Hyun,” Luhan admitted. “I’ve always been in love with Ji Hyun.”

            “Luhan, I think you’re just saying that because she’s the mother of your child, I bet if Tae Joon wasn’t even born you two wouldn’t even be together. I think Ji Hyun only said she loves you because she feels bad and I’m pretty sure that’s how you feel too.”

            “But-“

            “Can we talk about something else? Like when is Yoona coming back home? I was thinking we should have some dinner together.”

            “She’s comes back home today.” Luhan was still thinking about Ji Hyun’s confession. He remembered every single word and he felt stupid for not saying he loved her back.

            “We can probably have dinner another night then since you probably want Yoona all to yourself.”

            “Probably not, I have to watch Tae Joon tonight.”

            “I can babysit for you, I’ll come by over to your house so you can spend some time with Yoona,” Mrs. Xi offered.

            “No that’s okay I can just ask Ji Hyun to babysit.”

            “No, I want to babysit, I miss spending time with Tae Joon.”

            “Oh, okay…” Luhan knew that Mrs. Xi just wanted Luhan to spend time with Yoona so he wouldn’t think about Ji Hyun. He wanted to talk to Ji Hyun about last night, but he couldn’t stop thinking about what Mrs. Xi said. Maybe he only did have feelings for Ji Hyun because of Tae Joon.

            Lay, Kai, and Sehun invited Tiffany, Ji Hyun, and Jessica to get some bubble tea, since the rain finally stopped and the boys were tired of being cramped in their houses. They were all sitting at a booth with the girls on one side and the boys on the other. Even though they all ordered bubble tea none of them were actually drinking it.

            “Have any of you talked to Kris or Luhan yet?” Kai asked awkwardly. Tiffany rougly kicked Kai’s leg making him wince. “Why do people like hurting me?!”

            “Maybe because you ask stupid questions,” Tiffany snapped.

            “I never noticed how awkward it was without them,” Lay said sadly.

            “Yeah it kind of is… Isn’t it?” Jessica agreed. “It sort of feels like everything changed.”

            “Are we all still friends with each other?” Lay wondered.

            “We’re all here aren’t we?” Tiffany pointed out.

            “Yeah, but Kris and Luhan aren’t.”

            “Why would any of us really want them here?” Kai mumbled. Tiffany kicked his leg again. “Stop that!”

            “Aren’t they are friends though?” Lay asked. “Well at least I still think they’re my friends.”

            “I thought you said Kris was being annoying?” Kai said.

            “Yeah, but he’s still my friend, I care about Kris, he’s like my brother,” Lay replied. “Just like how Luhan and Sehun are like best friends, right Sehun?”

            Sehun’s dazed eyes looked up to see everyone staring at him. “Yeah, Luhan and I are still friends.”

            “See? We should invite them to do something together,” Lay suggested.

            “Can we remember that two people in this group don’t really want to see them?” Tiffany reminded talking about Jessica and Ji Hyun. “I don’t think that would be a great idea.”

            “This whole thing wasn’t a great idea,” Kai mumbled, he knew Tiffany was about to kick his leg again so he brought them up on the seat. “I think that every time we always get together we always talk about Kris or Luhan or our problems. Aren’t friends supposed to talk about something fun? Like what movies are out right now or what we should be doing on a Saturday night? I think our entire friendship has gone completely morbid all because of stupid relationships.” Kai got up and left after venting his feelings leaving everyone surprised by the sudden explosion.

            “I think we should all go,” Lay suggested.

            “Yeah that sounds like a good idea,” Tiffany agreed as she got out of the booth followed by Jessica and Ji Hyun.

            Sehun stopped in front of Ji Hyun leaving just the two of them behind while everyone else was in the front walking.

           “Did you need something Sehun?” Ji Hyun asked, her tone was still a little saddened and she had no problem showing it.

           “I just wanted to make sure you were okay… Are you okay?” Sehun asked.

           Ji Hyun nodded, “I’m fine. Are you okay?”

          “Luhan talked to me yesterday about taking you and Tae Joon out and I wanted to know if it went well. Did it?”

          “Yeah it went well. We just went ice skating and then we went home and that was it.”

          “Nothing else happened?”

          “Why would anything happen? He’s with Yoona and I’m with Baekhyun, remember?”

          “Are you ever going to tell Luhan?”

          “No, there’s no reason to, it’s not a big deal anymore anyways. So you can stop asking me when I’m going to tell him because I’m probably never going to.” Ji Hyun made her way past Sehun, she felt bad that she had to be blunt about it, but it was the only way she could get past it.

          Ji Hyun returned home, her heart still aching thinking about how stupid she was for confessing to Luhan. She was still sitting in the car, she didn’t feel like getting out of the car mostly because she was too lazy to get out of the car. She rested her forehead on the wheel.

           “Umma!” Ji Hyun shot back up and looked around. She turned and saw Luhan and Tae Joon. Ji Hyun walked out of the car and approached Tae Joon and Luhan.

           “Hi,” Ji Hyun muttered.

           “Hey,” Luhan greeted. “I um… I wanted to talk about last night.”

           “Oh, well I guess you can just whatever you needed to say. You can say how stupid I was and how you’re with Yoona and I’m with Baekhyun-“

           “No, it’s not that. Ji Hyun you’re amazing and you’re beautiful. Everything about you is amazing and I care about you a lot. There wasn’t ever a time when I didn’t think about you, when I was gone on tour every day I thought about you. Wondering if you were okay and wondering if you were thinking about me just as much as I was. You mean the world to me and not just because you’re Tae Joon’s mother but because your Ji Hyun and I don’t care that you get annoyed by my music or how mad you get when you hurt your feet stepping on my rubix cube or how you complain too much about me taking up the entire bed or how much of a perfectionist you are or that my mother hates you, but I’m willing to deal with all that because I-“

           “Luhan!” Luhan and Ji Hyun turned and saw Yoona running towards them. She nearly knocked Luhan over hugging him tightly and kissing him. Tae Joon looked at the saddened face on Ji Hyun’s face and looked back at his dad. After Yoona and Luhan’s little reunion, Yoona smiled happily at Ji Hyun as if they were best friends.

            “Hi Ji Hyun,” Yoona greeted.

           “Hi Yoona,” Ji Hyun said. “I should probably go since you two need to do some catching up to do.”

          “Okay, well see you later then,” Yoona said gripping onto Luhan’s arm.

          “Come on Tae Joon.”

          “Actually I still want to spend a little more time with Tae Joon, he probably wants to spend time with Yoona too, right Tae Joon?” Luhan said. Tae Joon just nodded for a response.

          “Oh okay, I guess I’ll see you all later then.” Ji Hyun weakly smiled, but her smile immediately faded.

          “Ji Hyun, maybe later we can talk about, okay?” Luhan said.

            “Okay.”

            Yoona looked at Luhan and noticed how he seemed so distant towards her. “So, what are we doing tonight? Are we going to go out or do you just want to stay home since you have Tae Joon?”

            “Actually my mom said she would babysit Tae Joon so we could go out,” Luhan said.

            “Then everything is perfect. I missed you a lot and I couldn’t wait to see you.”

            “Me too…”

            Ji Hyun opened the door and saw rose petals on the floor making a trail. She was confused wondering how rose petals got on the floor. She followed the flower petals that stopped in her room. On her bed there was red flower petals scattered everywhere and candles were lit. Right in front of her stood Baekhyun with a bouquet of red and white roses.

            “Baekhyun, how did you- what are you doing here?” Ji Hyun was mesmerized by all the roses and candles.

            “I wanted to come see you I just got back,” Baekhyun said. “I missed you.”

            “I missed you too.”

            Baekhyun pulled Ji Hyun into a hug and lightly kissed her forehead. “I need to tell you something.”

            “Baekhyun, I need to tell you something too,” Ji Hyun replied.

            “Did you want to go first?”

            “No, you can go first.”

            “Ji Hyun, I love you, I really do and I want to spend every moment of my life with you. I didn’t realize how much I loved until I was away from you, so that’s why…” Baekhyun pulled out a tiny box from his pocket and got down on one knee. “Will you marry me?”

            “Baekhyun… I…” Ji Hyun was speechless, she knew if she said yes she wouldn’t be happy but she didn’t want to say no. “Baekhyun.” Ji Hyun pulled Baekhyun back up. She wrapped her arms around Baekhyun. “I love you Baekhyun, I truly do, but I don’t think we should get married.” To Ji Hyun’s surprise, Baekhyun didn’t look entirely hurt. He seemed surprisingly calm and understanding.

            “I understand, I guess it’s true,” Baekhyun muttered.

            “What?”

            “I kind of always knew that you’d always love Luhan.”

            “I’m sorry,” Ji Hyun sincerely apologized. “I want you to know that I’ll always love you just not the way you wanted me to. I’m sorry, please don’t hate me.”

            “It’s okay Ji Hyun,” Baekhyun replied. “I’ll never hate you.” Baekhyun saw the relief in Ji Hyun’s face, but he could tell that she was a little upset that he was so calm. “Are you okay?”

            “You seem really calm and… I’m surprised. I’m happy for you though.”

            “Well, you know the girl that I was engaged to I’m still in love with her too.”

            “So I guess we both weren’t in love with each other like how we thought we were,” JI Hyun muttered. “She must be really great, maybe one day I’ll meet her.”

            “Yeah, I want you to meet her too.” Baekhyun opened the small box revealing the engagement ring. The ring was a perfect princess cut and the silver band was glistening even through tiny lights coming from the candles.

            “It’s beautiful Baekhyun.”

            “I want you to have it.”

            “But we’re not getting married and I’m pretty sure it cost a lot,” Ji Hyun said. “You should probably give it to someone else.”

            “No, I want you to have it.” Baekhyun took Ji Hyun’s hand and slid the ring on her index finger rather than her ring finger. “I got this ring for you so I want you to have it.”

            “I don’t think you should, I don’t deserve this ring.”

            “I want you to though, don’t worry about it,” Baekhyun said. “I want you to keep this ring, I don’t care.”

            “Thank you…”

            Yoona and Luhan just finished having dinner but they were still sitting at the restaurant talking. During dinner Yoona saw how distant Luhan was and how different he was being.

            “So, what did you do while I was gone?” Yoona asked breaking the silence.

            “Nothing much, I just went out with Tae Joon and Ji Hyun,” Luhan said.

            “Really? What did you do?”

            “We just went ice skating,” Luhan replied as if it was a big deal.

            “Oh, did you have fun?” Yoona tried not to seem like it bugged her that Luhan didn’t tell her this till now.

            “Yeah it was pretty fun.”

            “Oh…”

            “Don’t worry Yoona, I didn’t do anything with Ji Hyun,” Luhan said. “I love you.”

            “Good, because I love you too, we should probably go home since it’s getting late,” Yoona suggested. “Tae Joon probably wants you to put him to sleep.”

 

            After Baekhyun left, Ji Hyun was sitting on her doorstep looking at the ring Baekhyun gave her. She looked at Luhan’s house and saw the lights on. Since the lights were on, Ji Hyun thought Luhan was probably at home by himself since it was pretty late and Yoona always went home whenever Tae Joon was over. Ji Hyun walked over to Luhan’s house and knocked on the door. Instead of Luhan, it was Mrs. Xi who opened the door.

            “Mrs. Xi? What are you doing here? Where’s Luhan?” Ji Hyun asked.

            Mrs. Xi closed the door behind her. “Ji Hyun, we should probably talk.”

            “Well, I actually needed to talk to Luhan about something.”

            “Look, Ji Hyun, I know everyone thinks I hate you, but I don’t. I care about you and I care about Tae Joon, but Luhan’s my son and I really think that maybe you two really shouldn’t be talk about anything unless it has something to do with Tae Joon. I personally don’t think you two should be together and I think Luhan would agree with me too,” Mrs. Xi said. Ji Hyun was hurt by every word Mrs. Xi said. “I think you’ve hurt him enough and he doesn’t realize it because every time he tries to you’re always there and he can’t. I really think you should let Luhan decide on how he truly feels about you alone. Okay?”

            Ji Hyun nodded, “Okay… Thanks Mrs. Xi.”

            “Goodnight Ji Hyun,” Mrs. Xi walked back into the house leaving Ji Hyun alone. Her mind was completely blank and the only thing she could do was turn around and make her way slowly back home.  

 

A/N: Yay for updating again! Even though I should be updating more than I have been lately. I'll try to get back to my crazy updating. I don't know when I'll be updating next, but hopefully soon. I don't know how much longer this story is going to be, but hopefully it's not too long. Maybe it'll probably only be thirty chapters? Not sure. 
Do you think Mrs. Xi actually hates or likes Ji Hyun? It kind of seems like both. Plus, do you think Luhan is ever going to admit to Ji Hyun that he still loves her?