Insecurities

Rivalry 101

 

 

***back to Yuri's POV***

 

~ Wednesday, 2:50 AM

 

I woke up even before my alarm. The performance yesterday bothered me all night. I stood up and headed to the bathroom to wash up. After washing up, I immediately went out to jog. The flashbacks of yesterday's performances kept coming in my mind. The impressive voices of the singing team, our beautiful and eye-catching dance performance, the singing & dancing team's amazing skills and Yoona's spotlight. I passed by the coffee shop I often go to. I decided to stop over and grab some breakfast. When I was walking towards the door, I saw a tall, pretty woman in a ponytail, who was also heading to the shop. Yoona, I sighed. I didn't really want to bump into her today. I stopped and she looked at me with a surprised expression.

 

"Annyong unnie!" she greeted.

"Ne.." I replied. "Uh.. I have to go. See you later."

 

I didn't even want to look at her so I just looked down and left quickly. Somehow, I knew if I looked at her, something in her eyes would make me stay but I didn't want to stay. What's she doing here so early anyway? I thought. I continued jogging and took a longer route. Suddenly, the flashbacks from the performance disappeared and were replaced by the moments when we were having fun playing at the arcade, falling asleep at the couch, waking up beside her and..... wrapping my arms around her. Those memories kept playing on my mind.

 

Why do I think about these memories? Why does it feel good to bring back those thoughts? Why does it feel like I'm missing them? Why do I think of Yoona? What makes her so important for me to think of her 24 hours a day? Do I..... Have I.... Am I starting to..... FALL for her?

 

NO YURI! Of course you're NOT falling for her! Am I crazy? That's so ridiculous! How can I like the person who just defeated me? How can I love someone who can fill my heart with hatred and insecurity? What the hell was I thinking?! I shook my head to erase the silly thoughts in my mind. I must really be going crazy now... I told myself.

 

As soon as I got back from jogging, I woke everyone up and got ready for school. I wonder what awaits us in school today,

 

 

~ 6:30 AM

 

We got to school and headed straight to our class rooms. The showcase yesterday was still the talk of the campus. One of our classmates ran towards me and showed me the town's newspaper.

 

"Yuri-yah! Look! You're featured in the newspaper. Ah, I'm so jealous, you did so well. Looks like your future is getting brighter." She told me with a smile.

"Kamsahamnida unnie. You did well too." I replied and smiled back.

"You surely caught the eyes of the media people. Waah, you're really great." the others complimented.

 

It brightened up my day and I was so happy about being featured. They wrote how impressive my dancing skills were and how my looks was also very eye-catching. Everyone started talking about it and kept looking at the newspaper. Everyone was telling me how proud they were of me. It felt so good. I guess my hardwork has finally paid off, I told myself. Taeyeon, Yoona and Seohyun came in and immediately sat beside us.

 

"Yoona-yah! You're in the newspaper too!"  one of our classmates told her.

"Omo! She's in the front page." another one said.

"Looks like you're the headline for today's newspaper." the others told her.

 

Everyone started complimenting her now. Everyone was telling her how amazing she was and how talented she really is. Just great! I thought. Why does she always take the spotlight from me? I exhaled deeply and stood up to walk towards the window. I stared blankly outside. Then for the first time today at school, I heard Yoona talk.

 

"Omo! Unnie, look! Yuri-unnie is featured too. Doesn't she look like a real star here?" she bragged them. What was she doing? Why was she talking about me when all these people are around her, complimenting her?

"Yuri-unnie!" she called me. I turned my head to look at her. "Look. Waah! How can you still look so pretty with a stolen picture?"

I was speechless. All that came out of my mouth was "Eh?"

"Wow. Doesn't she look like a goddess here?" she asked our classmates. Everyone agreed with her and smiled at me. She seemed so... proud of me.

 

Just then, the professor came and congratulated us for the success of the showcase. He praised us for being featured in the newspaper and started with the new lesson about stage performance. My mind wasn't really focused on the lesson. My mind was flying somewhere else. I kept wondering why Yoona talked about me like that earlier. I shot a glimpse at her and I was surprised to see her staring, she smiled and waved a little to me. I smiled a little and looked away. I still couldn't bear to look at her eyes but this time, I think it's for a different reason

 

I'm not stupid, I know exactly why. It's because I can't deny it anymore. The fact that I'm falling for my greatest rival bothers me. What's worse is that, I don't know what she thinks of me. I can't settle for a one-sided love, it'll be too hard. Then suddenly, an idea came into my mind. Maybe if I avoid her for a while and being too close to her, I can stop myself from falling deeply. That way, I can focus more in my career and I can avoid hitting the ground too hard. That's right, I'll do my best to avoid her in the meantime until I pull myself back together.

 

~ 12:00 PM

 

It was lunch time and as expected, Taeyeon, Yoona and Seohyun joined us since we're like, really close to them now. We took the tray and ordered food. When we were about to sit down, I moved to the chair beside Seohyun which was the farthest seat from Yoona.

 

"Oh, what is this? A lover's quarrel? Why do you sit so far from each other?" Hyoyeon teased.

"Did you get into a fight?" Sooyoung continued. I ignored them and continued eating quietly.

"Aigoo. Our lovebirds are in a war. What can the unnies do for you?" Sunny added.

"Unnie! Stop teasing us already. We don't have that kind of relationship. Okay?" I told them.

"It's okay to admit it. We like seeing you together anyway." Tiffany teased again.

I stood up and told them in a cold expression "I'm not so hungry. I'm leaving first then. I'll see you all later."

"Ya! Yuri-yah, we were just kidding." Hyoyeon said.

"Unnie, are you mad?" Seohyun asked.

I looked back and answered, " Aniyo. I'm just not hungry. Please continue eating" and gave them a smile.

 

I walked out of the cafeteria and decided to head towards the practice room.

 

"Yuri-unnie! Wait up!" a familiar voice called out. I looked back and saw Yoona. "Where are you going?"

"To that practice room. Why?" I answered.

"Really? Can I go with you?" she asked again. NO. Please go back to the cafeteria.

"Yeah... Sure...." I replied.

"Great!" she responded happily.

 

Just great. I was avoiding her but here she comes, following me. We got to the practice room and no one else was there. I played the CD player for music. I danced to the beat and so did Yoona. We danced together in the room freely. She was really good. She was easily keeping with me. We laughed together and just had fun. We kept dancing till we were sweating so much and got very tired. She offered a high five and I gave her one then she suddenly hugged me. My heart stopped again and restarted with it's crazy beating. Then, she took a towel from her bag and wiped some of my sweat on the face and handed it to me so I can wipe the rest of my body. After handing the towel to me, she started fanning me to cool off. My heart was beating faster now. Oh no, she's doing it again, I thought. I can't fall for her more.

 

"Do you want another round?" she asked with a smile. I wanted to say yes and have fun with her more.

"Aniyo. I have to change into fresh clothes quickly now.. I, uh, have something else to do. I'll see you later then." I answered. "Oh, and I'll just give this towel back when I wash it. Is that okay?"

"Uh.. Sure. See you then." she answered with a disappointed expression.

 

And then, I left the room and headed to a restroom to change. I had to breath for a while to calm my heart. Avoiding her got even harder to me now because deep inside, I wanted to stay with her always.

 

 

 

 

 

 

_____________________________________________

here's an update for you guys. :)) enjoy.