Chapter 9 (Past)

Just A Glimpse

“Hello?” I answered my phone.

“Lizzy unnie?” I heard the voice say on the other line.

“Nana, are you okay? Is everything alright at your parents’ restaurant?” I asked worried.

“I’m fine. I’m at home right now, we just got back from the restaurant,” she said.

“What happened?” I asked.

“Someone broke in, the front window is broken and there’s no cash in our register, so we got robbed. When I got there the police was already there and they put caution tape all around our restaurant. They said they would find whoever did this,” Nana explained.

“I’m so sorry. If you guys need help with anything you can call me anytime,” I said sincerely.

“Thank you Lizzy unnie. Anyway, I have to go now. I’ll see you on Monday, goodnight,” she said.

“Good night Nana,” I said and hung up.

I feel bad for Nana. I hope they catch whoever did this. Her parents must be so sad. I wish I could help them in some way. I got up and headed towards my bed and went to sleep.

On Monday morning I didn’t see Nana at school. Usually Raina and Nana are at my locker every morning except today only Raina was there.

“Is Nana not at school today?” I asked Raina.

“I haven’t seen her this morning. I texted her except she hasn’t replied,” Raina said.

“She probably slept in,” I said reassuring myself.

“Most likely,” she said.

I texted Nana once I went to class except no response. I tried calling her during lunch except no response. I began to get very worried. Did something happen to her? Is she alright? I decided to go to her house after school to see what was going on. I knocked on her door and her mother answered it.

“Oh Lizzy, come in,” Jungah said with a warm smile.

“Is Nana home?” I asked.

“She’s in her room. You can go up there if you’d like,” she said.

I nodded and headed upstairs to Nana’s room. The door was shut. I slowly knocked on it.

“Who is it?” she asked.

“It’s me, Lizzy. Can I come in?” I said.

Nana opened the door. She was puffy eyed and she looked tired.

“Nana…what happened?” I asked shocked.

“Come inside,” she said.

We sat on her bed in silence for a bit before she explained what was wrong.

“Remember the guy I told you about yesterday?” she asked waiting for me to respond.

“Yes, what about him?”

“He was the one who broke into my parents’ restaurant yesterday. They caught him on the surveillance tape,” she said quietly.

“Oh my god!” I said shocked, “What are they going to do?”

“Well the police are trying to find him, but I think he’s hiding out somewhere,” Nana said.

“I really hope they find him Nana,” I said placing my hand on top of her's.

“Me too Lizzy unnie,” she replied, squeezing my hand.

“Is that why you didn’t come to school today?” I asked removing my hand from her grip.

“Yeah, I was too sad to get out of bed this morning,” she nodded.

“Well you didn’t miss much, don’t worry,” I reassured her.

“I’ll be at school tomorrow for sure,” she said. Then she plastered on a face that I knew all too well. The face she makes when she’s about to tease me.

“By the way, I hope you didn’t miss me too much today,” she said smirking.

“Yah! You’re one to talk,” I said defensively. She laughed.

“Are you hungry unnie? Would you like something to eat?” she asked as she got up from her bed.

“Yeah, I’m actually starving,” I said patting my stomach.

We went downstairs to the kitchen to grab something to eat.

“Nana, do you girls want something to eat?” Jungah called from the living room.

“Yes! We’re really hungry Omma!” Nana yelled.

Jungah walked into the kitchen and told us to take a seat at the table while she quickly made something for us.

“I’m sorry to hear about what happened to your restaurant,” I said to Jungah. When I first met Nana’s parents’ they told me to call them by their first names but I find that to be uncomfortable.

“Oh thank you Lizzy-ah. It’s okay; they know who did this and are on top of things. We just need to repair the front window. That probably won’t take long,” Jungah replied.

“If you need help with anything I’m always free to come help,” I told her.

“Thank you darling. That means a lot,” Jungah sincerely said.

“Omma, where’s Appa?” Nana asked.

“She went to the grocery store to get some stuff.”

“When will she be back?”

“Soon. Why? Do you need something?” Jungah asked.

“No, I was just wondering,” Nana replied. She was looking at her nails as if all the answers in the world were situated there.

After 30 minutes, Jungah finished making the food. She made rice and vegetables and there was chicken left-over from last night.

“Thank you,” I said and bowed my head as she placed the food on the table.

“It’s not a problem at all,” she said, “if you girls need anything I’ll be upstairs.”

She left. Nana and I filled up our plates all the way. We ate in silence for a bit.

“Nana,” I said.

She looked up, “Hm?”

“What’s the guy’s name?” I hesitantly asked.

She looked at me for a while without saying anything.

“If you don’t want to tell me it’s okay,” I quickly said.

After a few minutes she said, “His name is Junhyung.”

I just nodded my head. I’ve never heard of him before, well not until now.

We finished eating our food and I told Nana that I had to go home.

“I’ll walk with you home. I don’t want you to walk by yourself,” she said as we put away the dishes.

“It’s fine. I don’t live that far from here,” I said declining the offer.

“Then I’ll get my mom to drive you,” she said. “Wait here.”

She quickly ran upstairs.

“Omma said she’ll drive you,” she called from the top of the stairs.

“I don’t want to be a burden,” I said sheepishly.

“It’s fine Lizzy unnie, she wants to drive you home anyway,” Nana said.

We put on our shoes and I grabbed my bag and slung it over my shoulders. Jungah came downstairs.

“Ready?” she asked as she grabbed her car keys. We both nodded.

We went in the car. Nana was in the front seat while I was in the back. She put the radio on and put the volume almost on full once she realized her favourite song was playing. Jungah’s phone began to ring and Nana turned down the volume and answered it.

“Hello?” she said.

“Who is this? . . . She’s driving right now, can I take a message? . . . WAIT WHAT?!” Nana exclaimed the last part. Jungah quickly pulled the car over. She grabbed the phone from Nana.

“I’m sorry. This is Jungah, I was driving before. . . . What’s wrong? . . . I’ll be right there!” Jungah quickly hung up the phone.

Nana was sitting there in silence. Jungah quickly dropped me off. I thanked them for the ride and went inside my house. I wonder what happened. I didn’t dare ask. It’s probably something personal. Maybe Nana will tell me later.