Chapter 11 (Past)

Just A Glimpse

The next day I was walking down the hallway towards my locker and I saw Nana leaning against it. Raina wasn’t there this time. I wondered why?

“Hi Nana,” I cheerfully said.

“Hi,” she said trying to smile. I could see in her eyes that something was wrong.

“Is everything okay?” I carefully asked.

She just nodded her head and looked away.

“Nana, if something is wrong you should tell me,” I said as I shut my locker door.

Nana turned and stared at me. “My mother is in the hospital…”

“What happened?!” I said shocked.

“While Appa went grocery shopping she was crossing the street and a car just hit her,” she said quietly.

“Oh my god, do they know who did it?”

“No, it was a hit and run.”

“Is she okay? Is she hurt anywhere?” I asked. She looked at me and I saw tears in her eyes she was blinking rapidly so she wouldn’t cry.

“Um…she’s in a coma,” Nana said as she choked back tears.

“Oh my god,” I gasped, “I’m so sorry.” I wrapped my arms around her and she hugged me back. I heard her gasping and I could tell she was silently crying.

“Sh…everything will be alright, I’m sure she’ll wake up soon. Just think positively,” I said patting her back softly as she continued to cry on my shoulder.

I saw Raina walking towards us.

“What happened?” she yelled.

I put a finger to my lips to tell her to be quiet. Nana let go of me and wiped her tears with the back of her hand.

“I need to use the washroom,” she said and left.

“What happened?” Raina asked again.

“Her mother is in a coma,” I said sadly.

“Which one?” she asked her eyes widening.

“Kahi.”

“Oh poor Nana, I can’t imagine what she must be going through,” Raina said sympathetically.

“We should probably go check up on her,” I suggested.

We walked to the washroom near the cafeteria except Nana wasn’t there. So we went to check the washroom near our first class except she wasn’t there either. After about 20 minutes of running around the school and checking every washroom we practically gave up.

“Where could she be?” I asked.

“She can’t be far. Maybe she’s outside the school,” Raina said.

We realized that the bell had gone for class. How were we going to go outside without getting caught? Raina quickly grabbed my arm and pulled me behind a wall as our teacher walked by. We were both silent and out of breath. Once the coast was clear, we walked silently and swiftly down the hallway in order to not get caught. After a good 5 minutes we finally reached the school doors. Raina looked back just in case a teacher was walking by. I opened the door and we quickly went outside. That was sure a hassle. Now we had to find Nana. It was good that we didn’t have to look that far because I saw her sitting under a tree at the far end of the sports field.

“Nana,” I said.

She looked up at us, her eyes were red and puffy and her face was stained with tears. I sat down beside her and Raina sat across from her.

“I’m sorry to hear about what happened. I hope she’ll wake up soon Nana,” Raina said softly.

“Thanks,” Nana managed to say.

“We’re here for you no matter what, so if you need anything tell us,” I said.

She nodded her head.

We sat there in silence trying to comfort Nana all period. Once class was over we went inside the school for lunch. We sat at a table near the back of the cafeteria to eat. Nana was just staring at her food; she didn’t touch it at all.

“Aren’t you going to eat?” I asked her.

“I’m not hungry,” she replied.

“Nana you should eat something, you’ll be tired all day,” Raina said.

“It’s fine. I don’t have much of an appetite,” she said pushing her tray away.

She grabbed her sweater from her bag and put it on the table like a pillow and rested her head on it. Raina and I just looked at each other and sighed. Poor Nana was in so much pain. I didn’t know what I could do to help so I decided to give her some space. We ate lunch in silence as well. The whole day was silence. Usually we talk so much except today was silent. I just really hope Kahi wakes up soon. If Nana feels this way imagine how much pain Jungah must be in. It was after school and I went to my locker. Raina said goodbye to us and went home. It was just Nana and I.

“Could you walk me home?” Nana asked quietly.

“Yeah, of course,” I said smiling gently at her.

We left the school and started on our way to Nana’s house. She looked like she was about to break down any second.

“Omma’s most likely at the hospital right now, so you should stay for a bit,” she said.

“I don’t want to be a bother,” I said.

“No it’s fine. I need some company right now.”

“Okay.”

We got to her house and Nana unlocked the door. We went upstairs to her room. On our way to her room we passed by her parents’ room and Nana collapsed on to the floor and began to cry. I quickly got on my knees and hugged her.

“Why is this happening?!” she shouted.

“Sh…it’s okay,” I said her back.

“NO! It’s not okay! My parents’ restaurant was robbed and now my Appa is in a coma…why are these things happening?” she cried.

“I don’t know but I wish I knew,” I said.

We were in that position for about half an hour. My shoulder was wet from her tears. She sobbed the entire time and occasionally she hit me on the shoulder and asked why this was happening. After she calmed down a bit, she let go of me.

“I’m sorry. I’ve been crying around you all day,” she said wiping her eyes.

“It’s okay. I’m here for you whenever you need me,” I said placing my hand on her cheek.

“Thank you Lizzy unnie,” she said.

“Come on, let’s get up and go to your room.” I got up and helped Nana get up.

We got to her bedroom and she lied down on her bed.

“Come lie with me,” she said.

I walked over and lay down beside her. She turned to look at me. I my side to face her.

“I hope we stay friends for a really long time. I don’t know what I’d do without you Lizzy unnie,” she said.

“We’ll be friends for a long time. Don’t worry,” I said smiling at her.

“How do you know?” she asked.

“Because I have a feeling that we will be,” I replied.

“What if we get into a fight?”

I stared at her. Why is she asking these questions?

“Even if we get into a fight, I think in the long run we’ll find a way to forgive and forget,” I said.

She just nodded her head and looked up at the ceiling, deep in thought.


Hello everyone! :) So here is another update, I hope you enjoy it ^^ I have alot of ideas for this fanfiction except they will come slowly so please be patient with me. It has offcially been a year since I began this fanfiction so thank you to everyone who has been reading. Thank you for subscribing and commenting. Reading your comments honestly makes my day, just to know that you guys enjoy this fanfiction is great! Love you guys <3