Chapter 6 (Present)

Just A Glimpse

Nana's POV

Here I was, sitting at Cafe Capitale with a cappuccino in front of me, waiting for Lizzy to come through the doors. Of course it's just like Lizzy to be late! I've been sitting here for half an hour. Where was this girl? I continued to sip my drink and started to play games on my phone when I heard a voice say, “Hi Nana.” I looked up and saw a brunette smiling nervously at me. I smiled back and told her to sit.

“Unnie, how have you been?” I asked her.

“I've been well, how about you?”

“I've been good.” I reply back while sipping my drink.

She orders a French vanilla and sits back down. I stare at her. I begin to examine my best friend's face. It's been 10 years since I last saw her. Her face has become prettier. Her smile was brighter than I remembered and her eyes still sparkled each time she looked at me. I smiled to myself. The waiter came and gave Lizzy her drink. She took a sip but quickly put it down.

“Too hot?” I smirked.

“A little,” she smiled.

She looked so nervous. Lizzy it's me Im Nana, why are you so nervous? Am I intimidating? She looked at me and said, "You know, you've gotten prettier since the last time I saw you." I felt my face begin to heat up.

“Thank you. You've gotten prettier as well.”

“One thing about you hasn't changed though,” she said with a devilishly charming smile.

“And what's that?” I asked curious to know what it was.

“You still stare at me intently.”

“Hah, do I? Sorry.”

“I was never annoyed by that, don't apologize,” she replied sweetly.

“So Lizzy-ah, anything new happening in your life?” I asked. She tilted her head to the side, as though she were thinking.

“Well I got my bachelor's and master's degrees in acting. I had an audition last week for a CF and they called me back saying I got the part,” she said excitedly. I smiled at her and congratulated her on her accomplishments. She asked me the same question afterward.

I said, “Well, I got my bachelor's in cosmetology and finished beauty school last year. Now I'm working at a cosmetics store.”

“Wow congratulations unnie! I knew you'd do something in makeup!” she said.

“So Lizzy unnie, how's your love life?” I asked her. She looked down at her drink and began fidgeting. She looked nervous or scared.

“Um...It's good. I-I have a b-boyfriend,” she stuttered the last part. I looked at her. My heart hurt. It was in so much pain. I just wanted to get up and leave but I had to endure it.

“Oh, really? What's his name?” I asked trying not to sound sad.

“His name is Niel,” she said without looking at me. I was about to say something when I got a phone call. Ugh, who could it be? I looked at the screen, and of course as always worst timing it was Hyuna. I walked up and went to the bathroom.

“Hello?”

“Nana unnie! Are you busy right now?”

I hesitated before answering. “N-no, why?” I just wanted to leave this place.

“I want to go clubbing tonight. The rest of our friends are going too and I wanted you to come, pretty please,” she said using aegyo.

“Sure, I'll be at your house in 10 minutes,” I said and hung up.

I walked back to our table.

“Sorry about that, I have to leave now, I forgot about the other plans that I had tonight,” I said to Lizzy.

“It’s fine, you go on ahead. I have to go soon anyway. It was nice seeing you again Nana," she said standing up.

“It was nice seeing you as well Lizzy unnie.”

She looked like she wanted a hug except I didn't give her one. We waved and I left. I saw her through the window. Her gaze looked distant. She continued to look at me until I left the parking lot.