Chapter 5 (Past)

Just A Glimpse

“Oh my god, I remember you!” Nana exclaimed.

I looked at her confused. I’ve never seen her before, I’m pretty sure I would’ve remembered her if I had.

“Where have you seen me before?” I asked confused.

“I think we went to the same elementary school when we were younger. But I’m not sure. What elementary school did you go to?” she asked.

“I went to Yongsan Elementary School,” I replied.

“So did I!” she said excitedly. She was about to knock down a chair from her excitement.

“How long did you go there for?” I asked, surprised that we went to the same elementary school.

“I went there for about 3 years.”

“We weren’t in the same class were we?” I was still trying to remember her.

She looked at me and smirked, as if she knew something that I didn’t.

“What is it?” I asked her worriedly.

“Park Sooyoung, you were a grade below me,” she looked at me while smirking. My heart beat quickened. She figured out that I’ve been lying about my age. What do I do? She smiled at me and walked over. She sat on the desk I was sitting at.

“I remember you always got bullied by this one girl from my grade,” she said quietly looking away.

“It wasn’t you was it?!” I asked hoping that it wasn’t her. I don’t remember the girl’s name who bullied me, but I hated her.

“No, but I remember one day I was watching you get picked on by her. She kept pushing you around and calling you names. I think she took your toy doll and wouldn’t give it back,” Nana said while deep in thought.

“I remember that. Then this girl came and grabbed the doll back and gave it to me. She yelled at the other girl and told her to never pick on me again. She never did after that,” I said remembering the story.

She looked at me and smiled. “I’m glad you remembered. Do you know who that girl was?”

I looked up at her, she was smiling at me with the same smile that the girl from my elementary school had. It finally clicked. Nana was the one who told the bully to stop and grabbed my doll back. That was Nana. I smiled at her.

“Thank you unnie,” I said blushing. She looked at me and giggled.

“No problem. Why’d you lie about your age Lizzy?” she asked.

“I wanted you to call me unnie…” I said quietly.

She laughed and ruffled my hair. “Well if you want I can still call you unnie,” she said.

“Are you sure?”

She nodded and said, “Of course Lizzy unnie.”

I smiled. That made me very happy. I don’t know why I wanted her to call me unnie, I just did. Suddenly one of the teachers came into the room and told us our detention was over. We both quickly got up and within minutes we burst out of the school. Both of us had to go home right away sadly. We said our goodbyes and turned the opposite directions toward our homes. I got home, ran to my room and cranked up my stereo to full volume. I was so ecstatic about all the events that happened today that I began to dance around my house for an hour or so until I was beat. I settled onto my bed and quickly drifted off to sleep. I dreamt about Nana.

Dream

I was walking down the street when I saw a familiar blond from afar. Her back was towards me. I think she was talking to someone. I couldn’t see the other person because she was blocking them. I changed direction and started walking toward them. As I got closer I saw the other person who she was talking with. It was a male. I couldn’t tell who it was because his face was blocked by shadows. I kept moving closer to see except I couldn’t go past a certain place for some reason. I yelled to her except she didn’t hear me. I saw him grab her arm. I ran, except I hit something that wasn’t there and fell. Everything went black.

End of Dream

I woke up from my sleep to the sound of my mother calling my name from downstairs. I rubbed my eyes and checked my clock. It was almost 6 pm. I walked towards the bathroom and washed up. I went downstairs slowly. I was still in a daze from my dream. It was strange, it had felt so real, except at the same time it didn’t. I walked toward the kitchen where my mother was.

“Oh Sooyoung-ah, your awake,” she said and kissed me on the forehead.

I smiled at her. The smell of food was swarming around my nostrils. I could feel my mouth watering. I thought about the dream the entire time that I ate dinner with my mother. My father was on a business trip in Singapore. I rarely got to see him; he was always busy with work. My mother was also busy with work except I got to see her more often than him. I washed the dishes, did my homework and went to sleep.

The next morning, as I was walking toward my locker, I saw Nana; she was leaning against my locker. A lot of people leaned against lockers but when Nana did, it was different. She looked cool yet y while doing it. Her posture was perfect, and her face was composed. I walked over to her, trying to catch my breath from how she looked. She smirked at me and took herself off of my locker. I smiled at her and opened my locker.

“How are you doing unnie?” she asked smirking while leaning against the other locker staring directly at me. God Nana, would you stop doing that? Doing what, being herself? Just her presence made me go insane and it’s only been two days since we’ve met.

“I’m good, how are you?” I said while closing my locker door. She looked away.

“I’m also doing well,” she replied looking into the distance. She looked as though something was on her mind. I wanted to ask except I got interrupted by Tiffany. What now?

“You two are just the best of friends aren’t you?” she said with fake enthusiasm.

“What do you want?” I asked her sharply.

She looked taken aback since I’ve never been so rude towards her before. “Well you see, since you guys are the complete losers of our school and well we have this new student that is also a loser. So, I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t mind adding her into your loser table.”

“You love new students how come you don’t like this one?” I asked her narrowing my eyes.

“She’s a loser like you! The teacher told me to show her around the school except I do not want her to join my group so why don’t you two do it?” she said with a false tone of kindness.

“Sure, why not? I doubt the girl would want to hang out with your group anyway,” Nana replied.

“Awesome,” Tiffany said through gritted teeth, “she’s in the office right now waiting for her escorts. Well get along!” She clapped her hands obnoxiously and left. I rolled my eyes to Nana and she rolled her eyes back. We walked towards the office and walked inside. We looked around and saw a girl with her face buried in her schedule and a map of the school. We instantly knew that was the new girl. We approached her.

“Hi,” I said with a huge smile.

“Hello,” she looked up and smiled. She had chubby cheeks and a cute smile.

“You’re the new student right?” I asked her.

“Yes. Are you the ones who will show me around the school?” she asked.

“Yes we are,” I said.

“Great! I’m Oh Hye Rin but you can call me Raina,” she said as she stood up.

“I’m Park Lizzy and this is Im Nana.” I pointed to Nana, who hadn’t said a word this whole time. She was so cold whenever she met someone. She was like that with me too a few days ago.

“Nice to meet you both,” Raina smiled at us. We walked out of the office. Turned out Raina had first period with Nana and I. We went into the classroom. Raina introduced herself to everyone and sat in the empty seat in front of us. 

The rest of the day went on the same way for the three of us. Raina was really nice. I was happy to have made another friend. Two friends in three days, I must have done something right. I smiled to myself as I left the school. I was about to start walking home except I felt an arm grab me. I turned around and saw Nana. She let go of my arm and just stared at me. She’s been doing that since the minute I met her. It was kind of intimidating.

“Hi Nana,” I said breaking the tension. She stared at me, then she smiled but she seemed distant.

“I wanted to ask for your number, that way we can text or call if we wanted to talk to each other,” she said as she pulled out her phone. I felt like I was about to fly. I got out my phone and gave it to her. We put in each other’s numbers.

“I’ll see you tomorrow unnie, goodbye.” Nana smiled and waved. I waved back.

I walked back home. That whole night I wished that Nana would text or call me. But she never did.