Chapter 13 (Past)

Just A Glimpse

The winter season passed by slowly this year mainly because Kahi was still in a coma. Nana went through a horrible depression. She was completely empty inside. She wouldn’t laugh, smile or eat. She didn’t talk much and slept most of the time. Jungah was at the hospital every day. She tried to stay strong for Nana’s sake but I could see the pain written on her face. I would go over to Nana’s house every day after school to help clean and cook something for the two of them. Nana started to do badly in school as well, so I became her tutor. I would help her with her homework and go over the teacher’s lessons with her except she would zone out halfway through. I honestly didn’t know what else I could do to help cheer up this heartbroken family. I went to visit Kahi once. She looked like a dead person with a bunch of equipment attached to her. It was a scary sight to see.

But, now it was spring and everything was alive once more. The leaves were blooming, the grass was greener, plants were growing, dandelions and other flowers were popping up everywhere, the animals were back. The earth was alive again. With the coming spring, Kahi woke up from her coma. I still remember the day that she woke up. I was at Nana’s house helping her with homework. We were both sitting there quietly. Her phone rang and she picked it up.

“Hello?” she answered.

“APPA’S AWAKE?!?!?!?!?!” she yelled into the receiver as she jumped up from her seat.

She quickly hung up her phone. She was frazzled; she had no idea what to do first. I guess her emotions got the best of her because she broke down in sobs. I was so surprised to see this happen. I had no idea what to do. I walked up to her and gently hugged her. After a while she looked up at me and for the first time in months I saw her smile.

“Lizzy unnie, Appa is awake,” she said happily.

I smiled at her and wiped away her tears.

“What are we still doing here then? Let’s go visit her!” I jumped up and lent her a hand as she got up.

We quickly went downstairs and took the bus to the hospital. Nana seemed nervous the entire bus ride. I put my hand on top of hers. She turned to look at me.

“Don’t worry, it’s your Appa,” I said trying to ease her nerves.

“Thank you for everything Lizzy unnie. You’ve been here for me through everything. I really don’t know how I can repay you. I’m so grateful to have you as a friend,” she said sincerely.

“You don’t have to repay me. That’s what friends are for,” I replied.

The bus arrived at the hospital. We got off and hurried inside. We took the elevator to the third level where Kahi was staying. The elevator went up to the first level and people entered. It went up to the second level and people exited and more people entered. Finally after what felt like the longest elevator ride of my life it got to the third level. We rushed out and went to her room which was at the far end of the hallway. Nana stopped right before the doors. She took a deep breath and entered the room.

“Nana,” I heard a voice croak from inside.

“Appa,” Nana wept.

I looked inside and saw Nana hugging Kahi as she cried. Jungah saw me.

“Oh, Lizzy, come inside,” she called and signaled me to come in.

I went inside the room and sat beside Jungah.

“Congratulations,” I said.

“Thank you,” Jungah said as she smiled with her wonderful crescent shaped eyes.

Nana let go of Kahi. Kahi saw me and smiled.

“Lizzy-ssi, how are you?” she asked.

“I’m good. I’m very happy that you’re awake,” I smiled.

“Thanks.”

It’s been two weeks since Kahi was woken up from her coma. She was still in the hospital though. She had to go through physiotherapy treatments since her limbs were stiff. Nana was so happy. I had never seen her that happy before. The weather was getting hotter and Nana asked me if I wanted to go on a picnic on the beach with her tomorrow. I agreed. It’s been a very long time since we’ve had a nice time hanging out. I couldn’t wait.