Chapter 27

Just A Glimpse

Lizzy’s POV

I sat there staring at the wall ahead of me. I was deep in thought. Nana’s right, I have to tell my parents about our relationship. I can’t hide it from them forever. But, what if they don’t accept it? What if they don’t accept me? I grabbed my pillow and screamed into it out of frustration. I wished things could be easier. I sighed and hugged the pillow to my chest. How should I tell my parents? Should I call them or tell them in person? I was so conflicted. I had no idea what to do so I decided to take a walk. I stood up and put on my hoodie. I grabbed my sneakers and put them on. Maybe a walk will calm me down a bit. I locked my door and walked out of my apartment building. It was almost midnight. The cool night breeze touched my face. It felt nice. I took my iPhone out of my pocket and plugged in my earphones. Music is the best way to relax. I tuned out of the world as I walked and listened to music. After a while of walking I realized I was in front of Nana’s house. Even though I was walking absentmindedly my feet still brought me here. Should I knock on the door? What if she’s asleep? I took a deep breath and exhaled. I rang the doorbell and waited. After a few minutes I heard footsteps approach the door. The door opened and Nana stood on the other side of the threshold.

“Lizzy-ah, what are you doing here?” she asked surprised to see me.

“I was taking a walk and I somehow ended up here,” I explained.

She smiled warmly and let me inside.

Nana’s POV

As soon as I opened the door I could tell something was bothering Lizzy. She seemed distant and dazed. We were sitting at my kitchen table. I made us some hot chocolate. I took a sip of my hot chocolate before speaking.

“So, why are you walking around by yourself at this time? It’s a bit late, don’t you think?”

Lizzy looked up from her cup and locked eyes with mine.

“I had something on my mind. I needed some fresh air,” she replied.

“What’s wrong?” I asked.

She shook her head. “Nothing.”

I put my cup down and put my hand on Lizzy’s arm.

“You know you could tell me anything right?”

She nodded. She looked at me and sighed.

“What if when I tell my parents they somehow ruin our relationship?” she asked.

“They can’t do that,” I said.

“How do you know?”

“You’re old enough to make your own decisions, they don’t have any power over you,” I replied.

“That’s true. But, what if they never speak to me again? What if they don’t accept me? What if they don’t accept us? What if –”

“Stop,” I interrupted her, “If we base our lives on ‘what if’s’ then we’ll never be happy. We’ll live our lives thinking that things could’ve been better. What if you don’t tell them, then what?”

“You’re right.”

“If you want I could be there with you when you tell them,” I suggested.

“Really? You’d do that?” she looked at me. I saw brightness in her eyes.

“Of course, I’d do anything for you,” I said.

“Thank you,” she said smiling shyly.

“When do you want to tell them?”

“Well, I want to tell them in person. We could take a trip to Busan. It’ll be fun. I’ll show you the whole city!” she said excitedly.

“I can’t wait! When should we go?”

“How about next week?” she suggested.

“Alright, that works,” I agreed.

She stood up and came in front of me. She just stared at me and smiled.

“What is it?” I asked confused.

She kissed my cheek and giggled, “I’m glad I came here.”

I smiled and sat her on my lap. I wrapped my arms around her and kissed her cheek.