Chapter 12 (Present)

Just A Glimpse

Nana’s POV

I rode my motorcycle from Hyuna’s house around the city for about an hour. All I could do was think about how harsh I was to Hyuna before I left. She didn’t deserve that. But, what she said about me looking at Lizzy in a way that I’ve never looked at anyone before, that is all I can think about. Is it true? Do I look at Lizzy differently than I do with others? I kept thinking about my dream from last night. I thought about it so much that I didn’t realize I rode all the way to the beach. I parked my motorcycle and hopped off. I walked until I got to the beach. I stood there for a bit observing the waves and how they hit the shore with strength. The waves are angry but once they hit the sand it calms down then it gets angry again. It’s a never ending cycle of anger between the waves and the sand. They fight and make-up over and over again. I began to walk to wherever my feet would take me. After about fifteen minutes of walking, I saw a familiar figure up ahead sitting on the sand staring at the sea. I walked some more and noticed that it was Lizzy. I walked up to her and sat down beside her.

“Hi Lizzy unnie,” I said.

Lizzy’s POV

I turned my head to see Nana sitting beside me.

“Hi Lizzy unnie,” she said.

“Hi Nana.” What is she doing here? I wondered.

“What brings you to the beach?” she asked.

“I was thinking about something and decided to come here,” I said.

“What were you thinking about?” she asked.

“Stuff,” I simply replied.

“Where’s your boyfriend?”

“He’s busy,” I said picking up some sand and rubbing it between my fingers. “Why are you here?” I asked.

“I was thinking about stuff,” she said staring at the sea.

“Like what?”

“You tell me what you’re thinking about then I’ll tell you what I’m thinking about,” she replied.

“I was thinking about that time we went to the beach,” I said quietly.

“That’s funny because that’s exactly what I was thinking about,” she said.

“It was a nice day for the most part,” I said.

She scoffed, “Until I ruined it.”

“You didn’t ruin it. I did,” I said staring at her.

She looked at me and I could see sadness in her eyes.

“Do you think if that didn’t happen that we’d still be friends?” she asked.

“I don’t know. But we could be friends again. It’s never too late.”

“I can’t,” she sighed.

“Why not?” I asked.

“It would be too much for me to see you constantly and pretend like I’m okay with just being friends.”

“Nana…I’m sorry,” I apologized quietly.

“It’s fine,” she said forcing a smile.

We sat there in silence for a while just staring at the water. I began to imagine Nana and I playing in the water, laughing and splashing each other just like old times. I felt my throat tighten and tears form in my eyes. Oh god, not now, I don’t want to cry in front of Nana. But I couldn’t control it; the tears strolled down my face. I quickly wiped them away but I couldn’t stop crying. Nana turned to look at me.

“Lizzy…are you okay?” she asked surprised by my sudden outburst of tears.

“I-I’m fine,” I said.

“No you’re not. What’s wrong?” she asked looking at me with sincere eyes.

“I’m so sorry…I regret everything,” I said in between sobs.

“Sh…” she said and pulled me into a hug.

“I’m sorry that I did that to you. I’ve regretted what happened since that day and ever since then that is all I could think about,” I said holding on to her.

She didn’t say anything and just continued to hug me.