Chapter 31

Just A Glimpse

Lizzy’s POV

I was still in bed, pretending to be asleep. My eyes couldn’t open anyway because they were so swollen from crying all night. I heard Nana get up from the bed that we shared at the hotel room. I slightly opened my eyes. She walked over to the window and completely opened the curtains letting the sun’s brightness come into the room. I groaned from the light.

“Good you’re awake,” Nana said as she turned to face me.

The sun was casting an angelic glow around her whole body. She looked beautiful even though she just woke up and she looked like a mess. I smiled at her.

“Wow, look at you smiling. I thought I would never see that again.” She came and sat on the edge of the bed. I slid over to make some room for her.

“Can we go home today?” I asked.

She placed her hands on my cheeks and looked at me gently. Then her expression became serious. “No.”

“What? Why?” I whined as I sat up in bed.

She stood up. “We’re not leaving until you make peace with your parents.”

I opened my mouth to protest except I closed it. Nana clearly won. I sighed.

“Fine,” I said gruffly. “But, how am I supposed to make peace with my parents, if my parents don’t want to see me?”

“Lizzy, they only said that ‘cause it was in the spur of the moment. I’m sure they didn’t mean it literally.”

“I think they did,” I muttered.

Nana sighed. She walked over to me and pulled me into a hug.

“Everything will be alright, you’ll see,” she said softly and kissed my cheek.

Later on that day after Nana dragged me out of bed and forced me to take a shower, get dressed and eat breakfast, I called my mother. Nana said that I should talk to one parent at a time that way it’ll be less overwhelming. Surprisingly my mother agreed to meet up and talk things through.

It was around 6 in the evening. Nana and I were seated at a table at my mother’s favourite restaurant. We were waiting on my mother to arrive. The wait was killing me. I was fidgeting with everything around me and I couldn’t sit still. Nana had to hold my hands or tell me to relax. My mother finally arrived. She sat down across from us.

“Hi mom,” I said weakly.

My mother stared at me there was a flicker of sympathy that washed over her face.

“Did you order yet?” she said.

I picked up a menu. “No we haven’t. We were waiting for you.”

She looked at her menu. “Let’s order first then we’ll talk,” she said without averting her eyes from the menu.

After we ordered our food, which took a while because my mother and Nana were being so picky, it was very awkward and silent.

“So explain this to me,” my mother said.

“I like people mom, regardless of gender. I was with Niel but I wasn’t in love with him so I broke up with him. But, I love Nana and I would love it if you would be okay with our relationship,” I explained.

My mother sat there. She looked as though she were deep in thought.

“Because you are my daughter, because you are my only child, because I love you, I will let you be with whoever you want. Even though I don’t understand this relationship, I will try to.”

I started to cry. I was so happy. Did I really hear my mother say that? Nana squeezed my hand. I turned to her and she was smiling at me. I looked at my mother.

“Thank you mom, you don’t know how happy your words just made me feel.”