Chapter 1 (Past)

Just A Glimpse

I saw her from afar, just a glimpse and my mind went crazy. I was walking down the school hallway casually headed to class when I saw this new girl, she wasn’t just any new girl, she was different. How? She had this long golden blonde hair with a tint of gold in her skin also, tall with long legs, her body proportions were model like. She was standing there confused looking at a piece of paper. I decided to approach her. My heart was beating really quickly. I didn’t understand why though, I had never felt this way about anyone. I slowly approached her and just stood there not knowing what to say. She looked up at me with her brown eyes, searching my face.

“Yes?” she asked rather coldly.
“Um...I noticed you were...new here?...Would you like some help?” I asked nervously trying to find my words.
She just continued to stare. After a minute of silence she finally said, “I’m looking for this class.” She pointed at the piece of paper in her hand.
“Oh, I have that class right now actually. You can walk with me if you want too...” I said.
She nodded her head and we started walking. It was silent for awhile until she broke the silence.
“What’s your name?”
“Park Sooyoung, but people call me Lizzy.”
She nodded her head again.
“And what’s your name?” I asked her in return.
“Im Jinah, but my friends use my nickname, Nana.”
“What school did you come from Nana?”
She stared at me strangely but she quickly changed her expression.
“I used to go to a co-ed school called Seoul Arts School.”
“Oh really? I’ve never been to a co-ed school before. Are there a lot of cute boys?” I asked interested.
 
She didn’t say anything and just made a face. We walked into the classroom. I was a loner in class. No one really liked me. They all thought I was too shy and ugly. I sat down at my seat. Nana was talking to the teacher and she introduced herself. I was surprised when she walked over and sat down beside me because there is an empty seat beside the popular girl and I thought she would go there. Everyone turned around and looked shocked to see Nana sitting beside me, especially the popular girl, Tiffany Hwang. Oh, Miss Tiffany Hwang, the American goddess of the school, she was perfect. She knew how to sing, dance, act and not to mention she was very pretty. She thought that the world revolved around her. It was rather annoying actually. I sighed a heavy breath and continued to work. I was very conscious of Nana sitting next to me and I was shaking a bit. None of us talked. Class finished and we both packed up our belongings silently. She got up from her chair, she looked hesitant while standing there, as if she was about to say something. I got up and looked at her.
 
“Could I eat lunch with you?” she asked hesitantly.
“Yes, of course,” I said with a smile.
 
I normally ate lunch alone because no one in my grade liked me. As I walked into the school cafeteria with Nana everyone stared in confusion. There were whispers everywhere. We sat down at a table and began unpacking our lunches. A few minutes later, Miss Welcome Wagon and her annoying minions decided to show up.
 
“Hi, I’m Tiffany Hwang! I believe we had the same class last period. You’re new here right?” she said with a chirpy high pitched voice.
“I’m Im Jinah,” Nana simply said.
“Why don’t you come eat lunch with us?” Tiffany asked with the fakest smile you could ever lay eyes on.
“It’s fine,” she said brushing off the offer instantly.
The look of shock on all of their faces was to die for. I was about to burst out laughing but I kept myself calm and composed.
“Well, Nana if you want to join us later you’re welcome to,” Tiffany said with a tight smile, gritting her teeth and walked off.
I smiled to myself and Nana noticed because she asked me why I was smiling.
“Those are the popular girls, they’ve never been rejected by anyone before, so right now they are probably all plotting your death so you better watch out,” I said with a hint of humour.
“Don’t worry, I can take them all,” she said with a smirk. That smirk drove me nuts for days. That was the first time I saw her smile at me.
“I’m sure you can,” I laughed.
“Do I call you unnie or no?” she stared trying to figure out my age.
“I don’t know when is your birthday?”
“September 14, 1991.”
I became a little evil at that point. My birthday is July 31st, 1992 except I told her that I was born in 1991 because I wanted her to call me unnie.
“Ah, then you are my unnie. That’s strange you seem younger than me.”
“Really? Hm, I think we look the same age.”
She tilted her head and searched my face once again. She smiled and said, “Lizzy unnie, thank you.”
“For what?” I asked in shock.
“For being kind to me, since I’m new here,” she said blushing.
“Anytime,” I said with strange feelings that were foreign to me at that time.
 
We continued to eat and had small talk about school, the weather, the popular girls, clothes, music and other stuff. The bell went signaling for class. Turned out we had last period together also. Two classes with Nana felt like heaven at that time. We walked to class and just like in all her other classes she introduced herself and sat down beside me. It was 20 minutes into the teacher’s lesson when I felt a slight poke at my elbow. I looked over to see Nana pass me a note without averting her eyes from the front of the room. I took the piece of folded paper and opened it up. On it was written “Lizzy unnie, look at the front of the class I can tell your dozing off.” I smiled and put the note in my pencil case, which up until now I still have. After class finished we walked down the hallway. We were about to say goodbye when Tiffany came out of nowhere.
 
“Nana, me and my girls are going to the mall right now, would you like to join us?” she asked in hopes of not being rejected again.
Nana looked like she was thinking of an excuse. She looked at Tiffany then said, “Actually I’m working on a project with Lizzy, sorry.”
“Oh...okay, well maybe some other time then.” Tiffany walked off.
I was grinning like a fool. Nana noticed and said, “Lizzy unnie, you seem pretty happy.”
I quickly wiped that foolish grin on my face. “So, are we actually going to be working on a project?” I asked her.
“No, but I would like to hangout for a bit. Since we have two subjects together we can help each other with homework.”
“Okay, let’s go to my house then.” I smiled at her.
 
We left the school and started toward my house. We walked for about five minutes when suddenly I felt a few drops of rain on my forehead.
 
“Oh, looks like its about to rain. Hopefully it doesn’t rain until we get to my house,” I said looking up at the sky.
 
I spoke too soon, it began to pour buckets. Nana and I began to scream like little kids as we ran to my house. Once we got inside my house, we were drenched by the rain. Both of us were shivering at my doorway. We looked at each other and began to giggle. I led the way upstairs towards my bedroom.
 
“You can change into my clothes if you’d like,” I said to Nana. 
She was looking around my room very intently. Then she turned to me and nodded.
“You can grab whatever you’d like out of my closet. I’m going to the bathroom to change and dry off.” 
 
I walked off to the bathroom. I opened the door and stepped inside. I shut the door and started to undress myself. I was so wet. I grabbed a towel and began to dry myself off. I couldn’t stop thinking about Nana. That’s when dirty thoughts began to invade my brain. I began to imagine her . Oh what a sight that might be, I thought to myself. I felt my face burning up and quickly evaporated those thoughts from my mind. I started to dress myself and left the bathroom. As I was walking to my bedroom, I noticed Nana didn’t shut the door fully. I peaked into my room and I saw her in her bra and underwear. My eyes widened at the sight of this beautiful figure. I realized I had been staring for too long and I quickly averted my eyes. I knocked on the door softly.
 
“I’ll be done in a second!” She yelled from inside.
“Take your time,” I said back.
 
A few minutes later she opened the door.
 
“Sorry bout that, I took a bit long,” she said sheepishly.
“No worries, make yourself comfortable.” I smiled.
 
She nodded her head and smiled. I lied down on my bed and motioned for her to lie down beside me. She walked over and climbed on the bed. She lay her head on the pillow beside mine. We lied in silence for a couple of minutes. It wasn’t an uncomfortable or awkward silence, it was a nice silence. Nana sat up and looked over at me.
 
“Let’s start our homework before it gets late, Lizzy unnie,” she said sweetly.
 
We got off of my bed and grabbed our school bags. We pulled out our books and sat at my desk. Nana pulled out a compact mirror, eyeliner, makeup remover, foundation and a bunch of other beauty products. She opened up her compact mirror and began removing her mostly gone makeup.
 
“So is this what you meant by doing homework?” I smirked.
“My makeup was rubbing off, it was bothering me, it’ll only take a couple of minutes,” she said while applying foundation.
 
I began my homework. I kept getting distracted by Nana applying makeup. She did it with such ease, it was as if she was a makeup artist. She looked like she was in her element. I looked over my notes once again and sighed. I was tired.
 
“Tired?” Nana asked.
“Yes, very,” I replied.
“Done,” she said closing her compact mirror and placing her makeup back into her little makeup bag.
“Finally, now can we do some homework?” I asked her exasperated.
“Haha, yes.”
 
We began our homework. After an hour we decided to take a break. We went downstairs to go eat. I opened my fridge, looking around trying to find something to eat. My stomach was growling like a tiger. I grabbed the fried chicken and fried rice leftovers from last night and heated up two plates. We sat down at the table in the kitchen. We started to eat. Both of us were starving so we were devouring our food.
 
“Lizzy unnie, tell me about yourself,” Nana said in between bites.
“Um...well there’s not much about me, I’m a normal high school girl,” I said not knowing what else to say.
“Tell me about your school life and your family life,” she said.
“I live with both of my parents, both of them are at work right now. I am an only child. I’ve never had close friends to rely on. No one in school likes me because I’m ugly and nerdy.”
She looked at me with those same eyes that were searching my face when we first met. I got nervous and looked down at my plate.
“I’m an only child too. I also live with both my parents, who are workaholic’s. I’ve also never had close friends to rely on. You could say I was ‘popular’ in my previous school. But I could care less about popularity,” she said.
 
We ate in silence for awhile, this time it felt uncomfortable for some reason. We both stood up and put our plates in the sink. We headed upstairs and Nana said that she had to go home before her parents came home. She packed up her books and we headed downstairs. She put on her shoes and unlocked the door. She then turned around.
 
“I’ll bring back your clothes to you tomorrow. Thank you Lizzy unnie,” she said pulling me into a hug. The hug was nice and warm. We let go and she looked me in the eyes and said, “I don’t think you’re ugly and nerdy. Don’t listen to those girls, they’re just jealous of you.”
I smiled and said, “Thank you Nana.”
 
We waved goodbye and she left. I was very happy at that moment. I couldn’t stop smiling. I began to jump around and sing. Today was a very good day. I made a friend. Hopefully our friendship will grow stronger day by day. I could not wait for school the next morning. I was excited to see the beautiful girl named Im Nana.