We only appreciate things we understand.

The Uncomfortable Truth, Behind The Music

BoA - The Shadow


“Donghae, you’ll have a meeting later this week to talk to the stylists and photographer about what concept you’d want for your album jacket.” Donghae only nodded when his manager informed him inside the elevator. He’s very hands-on when it comes to making his music that includes not only the songs but also the overall physical production of the album, music videos, the promotion that goes with it and a whole lot more.

“Oh and remember the song that got leaked and the bosses suspected that it was recorded by a trainee? Well there are talks that they’re already re-arranging the song and will start choosing which artist should sing it. Who do you think fits that song?”
Donghae made a mental note to talk to the executives about that untitled song by whom they think is sung by an anonymous trainee.


 

Later that day Boa, Donghae, Leeteuk and Nichkhun all gathered in the practice room because they were called to assess performances of trainees.

The first one was actually a solo act. Jino, who is one of the young ones, has been training longer than the girls have. He was already featured in a song that got a lot of love. He was supposed to be part of a boy group until the management decided that maybe going solo would be more fitting for him because of the amazing feedback. He sang his heart out and got praises from everyone.

“Do we really have to wear these denim shorts?” ________ uncomfortable tugged on the hem of her bottoms but stopped when she heard one of the stylists comment. “These rookies, as if jogging pants will garner enough attention.”

 

The management of AFF Entertainment set ‘Ceci’ as the girl group’s temporary band name.

E-young, Yoonji, Sunmi and ________ went on their proper positions like what they were taught earlier and waited for the music to play. They showed a cover of Sistar’s Loving U to their seniors and coaches, a video camera was also put in front to record them.

They all did great. Although ________’s body waves may not look as effortless as the others, she was still able to pull off that mix of sweet and y image. She took lead in the vocals and sang Hyorin’s original parts.

Boa was actually proud that ________ has caught up with her co-members dance skills. Donghae watched but was not impressed, he wasn’t buying the act that she was enjoying her performance.

Everyone watched the video and absorbed what their critics had to say afterwards.

Although they received more compliments than criticism, the girls were not let off the hook and had to continue with their typical hectic practice schedule as they kept being monitored.

 

“Why are you still here?” Donghae asked in a serious tone after he sat across _________. It was their dreaded time with each other for their usual one on one class and mentoring. ‘Oh boy! Such fun time.’

“Is that a trick question?” _______ asked with a bored tone of voice.

“You settled for less, you didn't want to do what you did earlier. You wanted to show soul not aegyo or skin.” Donghae was at it again in lecturing ________.
‘Did he really have to point it out?!’ ________ thought irritatingly, acknowledging that Donghae’s words were not far from the truth but she won’t admit that out loud. She won’t give him that satisfaction. “We are under the same company with similar idols doing the same thing. Aren't you being a hypocrite?”
“You and I are too different. I knew what I wanted, I stood my ground. I was firm and I defended my passion. I worked hard for what I wanted and got it, no sugarcoating whatsoever. I commanded respect as an artist and guess what? I got it with minimal compromise.”
“You're right, we are different. You don't know me well to judge me. I didn’t ask for this so stop preaching and just do your job, alright? Why do you keep interfering anyway??” ________ tried her best to keep calm and not disrespect Donghae but she could only do so much when he’s the one showing impudent behavior.

“I recognize a sell-out when I see one. Are you that desperate to claim your fame despite being on a thin thread? Regardless of the fact that you’re going against almost everything you built yourself on? What's next?! You'll allow them to order you to do inappropriate favors and services to –” Donghae was silenced when ________’s palm met his cheek.

She was fuming with Donghae’s relentless rant that hit home. She snapped when his last sentence made her remember what happened at the party, how she felt when Doojoon treated her.
“I didn’t sign up for this just to be disrespected.” She muttered under her breath as she stood up and got her belongings.

“I don’t understand you. I don’t like things I don’t understand.” Donghae followed her out just to have the final say.

________ didn’t look back and entered the practice room located at the end of the hallway where Donghae stopped walking mid-way.

Donghae cursed under his breath for plenty of reasons.

“I’ve held back long enough.” A voice made Donghae turn around and saw Nichkhun a few steps away from him. His glare bemused him.

“Stop treating _________ like she’s always at fault. You are not her dad, brother or manager. You’re not even the one who discovered her, it’s her life, let her live.” Nichkhun couldn’t just stand back and not say anything after unintentionally eavesdropping.

“And you’re not her boyfriend so back off as well.” Donghae answered back with a harsh tone.

The two were clearly warning each other and they two were still not finished with their verbal dispute but the shouts and panicked voices that could be heard coming from the practice room stopped them.

Both guys rushed to see what was causing the commotion and there they saw _________ lying down on the floor, looking pale and inanimate.

Nichkhun worriedly stepped closer but Donghae walked faster than him and picked ________’s unconscious body from the floor and felt her skin burning up.

 

“Move out of the way.”

 


 

Sorry for the cliché fainting scene, I tried to avoid it BUT it will play a big role in the next chapter.

I can't wait for you all to read the next following ‘big’ updates ^_~ Excited to hear your feedback.

Oh! I have a question, do you feel like the story is moving too fast?

 

~Comment Replies~

anj_yesung: Yay for Donghae showing more 'feelings' ;) Happy you're loving it, hope you enjoy this update :)

JustWinter: Yup...them good old days between them with a possibility of resurfacing perhaps? ;)

fishyfangirl: Haha I do hope I keep you interested with Donghae's relationship with the girls here ;)

 

Very true! Wanted to show that aspect and the environment that she's trying to blend in.

 

Aww...thanks unnie! Had a blast with you!♥

hermion8: aww...thank you! ^_^ That's why I'm loving the SiHae love with you all :)

 

Thanks again, glad you're enjoying the story :) I wanted to show a bigger picture instead of just focusing on Hae and her although this chapter is somewhat mainly about them.haha

ColaSmackles: Donghae letting someone else take credit because of certain reasons ;)

True! Donghae will be doing lots of hiding.

♥♥♥

parkjiyeon: Here's your update! Hope this satisfies for your craving.hehe ;)