Can't Go On My Own

The Uncomfortable Truth, Behind The Music

Clazziquai - Can't Go On My Own 


Donghae and _________ were scheduled to record their duet within the same week after they had their ‘reunion’. Fortunately their personal matters were somewhat settled, they were on good terms and so it wouldn’t affect their work nor interfere with their professionalism.

The producers wanted them to work as soon as possible so that _________’s album can finally be completed. There was no need to prolong her debut any longer, after this song she’ll be filming her music video and then when the album’s production finishes she’ll be out on that long-awaited stage of hers.

 

Donghae went to the studio early to make up for his tardiness during their last meet up. He came prepared with drinks and snacks not only for him but for _________ and for the rest of the team they’ll be working with for the day.

_________ was surprised when she saw Donghae already waiting for her in the mini couch in the recording room. He stood up and greeted her with a heartwarming smile.

“So _________, you’re okay with the arrangements Donghae made with the song?” The producer asked after playing the instrumental of the song.

_________ nodded and expressed that she was really pleased with it. Actually, she’s pretty happy that Donghae became involved with making her song better, it seemed like he knew her style so well. He only had the hunch of the melody of the song based on how she sang it in the past and from there he captured the essence of the song and made an amazing rhythm to go along with her lyrics.

They took time in practicing their own verses separately before coming together for the chorus, their voices blended perfectly and they had a few runs before they confidently went inside the recording booth to get everything finalized.

 

“Because I can’t go on my own…” That was the lyric that kept on being repeated by the two. It seemed like the more they sang it, the more they felt that it could be possible, particularly for Donghae.

It didn’t help ________ that Donghae would look at her most of the time when he sang his parts and that specific line.

 

Lunch time came and everyone was given a two-hour break.

“Do you want to have lunch together?” Donghae asked _________ as he walked towards her.

“Uhm…yeah, sure.” ________ didn’t see any reason why she shouldn’t. It’s not like she was playing hard to get since they weren’t ‘playing’ anything at all. It was one way of being civilized since they are working together and rebuilding their relationship. She wanted to move on from their troubles and start anew.

“Really?” Donghae wasn’t expecting her to accept his offer so easily and quickly, he thought he needed to insist and persuade her. “I’ll take you to my friend’s café. Don’t worry it’s not too far from here so we have enough time.” Donghae led _________ out and opened the door of his car for her.

The drive towards their destination was quiet but it wasn’t awkward. They say that you know you’ve found someone special when words are not that needed, that you can stay still and quiet ans enjoy the silence comfortably.  

 

“Oh, Mouse Rabbit, what a cute name.” That was the first thing _________ said once they reached the place.

Donghae told _________ the best-sellers of the cafe, as if he’s promoting the place to her. She did listen to his tips and ordered what interested her after Donghae gave his orders.

_________ briefly asked Donghae about his friend who owned the café while they waited for their food and drinks.

 

“I hope you don’t mind but I invited a few guests over.” Donghae informed her while they were in the middle of eating their lunch.

“Oh…it’s okay.” _________ didn’t show it but she felt a tad disappointed. She thought Donghae brought her out because he wanted to spend time with her alone, with the intention to woo her and continue to show his sincerity. Of course she didn’t expect too much but…well she’s just a normal girl who also daydreams of romantic moments. Although she’s set on not giving in easily, it’s hard to keep her heart ice cold when the guy who shows affection is making himself irresistible.

 

“Because I know besides myself, there are other people who really missed you when you left AFF.” Donghae spoke again and slyly looked past __________. She wanted to ask who he was referring to but she didn’t even get the chance to say it because different pairs of arms wrapped around her shoulder, one covered her eyes and another just shook her arms.

Donghae chuckled at the girls’ reactions, it was definitely the response he was anticipating for. The three girls behind a shocked __________ were squealing with happiness.

“Oh My Gosh!” It took ________ a few seconds before the voices registered in her brain, that’s when she broke into a grin. She removed the hands that were covering her eyes and stood up before turning around to look at the three ladies she missed. The four of them then engaged in a group hug, feeling hyper from seeing each other again.

Donghae carefully watched them with an amused expression, it was an interesting sight for him especially seeing the surprised and happy look on _________’s face.

“What are you girls doing here?” __________ asked curiously, unsure if it was all a coincidence or if it was intentional.

“Donghae oppa asked permission from our manager to give us some time off today since he said that he planned to surprise you.” Sunmi notified her unnie.

_________ looked over her shoulder to see Donghae just smiling back at her, he winked when she stared too long. He’s just full of surprises, isn’t he?

“Boa wanted to come but she just flew out of the country so she can only send her best regards to you. She promises to meet up with you the moment she’s back and free.” Donghae filled _________ in, just in case she wondered since the two also became close to one another. Donghae already updated Boa with his recent actions and his best friend applauded him for finally stepping up to the plate, although she still scolded him for moving slow, ‘like a turtle’ she stated.

 

 

The girls sat and started chatting with each other, unintentionally ignoring Donghae since they really missed each other after months of separation. Donghae didn’t mind though because that’s the main reason he set this up in the first place, he understood that they needed to catch up in between bites and sips to make the most out of their meet up.

They exchanged stories about their work, what they’re currently doing, what’s going on in their companies and so on. Everyone was truly enjoying.

 

The dreadful time came wherein the girls needed to head back to AFF while the pair needed to go back to Fluxus.

Donghae treated everybody as he announced that he already paid the bill while they weren’t paying attention to him, in return they all thanked him happily.

After giving one another hugs, E-Young, Sunmi and Yoonji hesitantly parted ways with __________.

“Donghae told me everything. You know, in his own way he was trying to protect you. I know it was harsh but think of it as tough love? Give him a chance. I can see he’s serious.” Yoonji whispered to her dongsaeng before going inside the van.

The three mouthed ‘Hwaiting!’ to Donghae, cheering him on, their attitude opposite compared to how they treated him after __________ left AFF.

Actually, on the day that he approached them to plan for this meet-up, the girls gave him the cold shoulder. All they knew was that Donghae hurt _________ bad. They remembered how crushed she was because of Donghae. He didn't blame them for the misunderstanding since he knew how close they've gotten but he made it a point to open up to the girls and told them the real story. He needed to get things right with a lot of people.

 

“Thank you for the meal and for bringing the three over today. Even though our hang out was short on time, it still relieved my stress. I really missed them.” She said once Donghae entered the car. His kind gestures really make it hard for her. It feels like the Donghae she dealt with in the past and the one she’s with now are two different people. The last time she felt this kind of emotion towards him was when they had their vacation, on the last day that they played soccer one-on-one and when he gave her the bandage to treat her wound.

“You’re welcome. I’m just doing what I can to make it up to you. I know you’d rather have their company over flowers and chocolates.” He remarked.

“Well that won’t be so bad too.” She mumbled.

“I knew I was right when I said that it wasn’t only me that missed you. Your presence was something else and it really left a mark, especially on my mind. Did you perhaps…well was there a time that you also thought of me?” He asked feeling slightly nervous of what her answer could be.

“Hmmm…maybe?” She didn’t want to give him the satisfaction of hearing the truth yet she also didn’t want to give him the harsh confusing push-pull treatment. Actually, she really didn’t know what to do with this guy.

“Am I making progress in raising my good points?” He tried to push his luck a bit seeing that she was still in a very good mood.

“Baby steps. Let’s take it one day at a time.”

Donghae nodded in understanding, that answer is good enough for now since it gave him hope that she is open in forgiving him but what he didn’t know is that she already did.

She forgave him, but has she accepted his heart yet?

 


Was it that last line in Chapter 22 that made you think that Donghae was just imagining / planning on confessing?

 

Donghae already confessed, he voiced out his feelings and our girl acknowledged that. That last line is actually talking about how Donghae will follow up on his ‘wordy’ confession with actions.

Hope that clears the confession confusion ;)

 

Btw, I'm doing a giveaway for you, my lovely subbies!! Check out my blog post ;)