The start of everything.

The Uncomfortable Truth, Behind The Music

 

________ was a popular indie act in Hongdae. Through her singing, hard work, and effort in marketing herself through Youtube and other social networking sites, _______ was able to attract a steady following. Her fan base started to grow and they were helping spread her music.

Things changed for her again when one of her close friends suggested for her to grab an opportunity of a lifetime. “You can’t keep your talent hidden in this part of Seoul alone. My friend who works at the record label we talked about the other day told me that there’s going to be an audition next week. You should definitely go and try! Your music deserves that chance to be heard. You shouldn’t be kept underground you know. I have a strong feeling that a lot of people will love you.”

 

And so following her friend’s strong advice, _______ auditioned.

“I want to be a singer. I’ve written a lot of songs and I can play a few instruments.  I want be a musician who lets people really feel emotions through music, not just the generic mainstream music. I dream to be recognized for my ability. I hope to be able to let my music stay as a ‘classic’, I don’t want to be just a contemporary or trendy act.” _______ bravely told the people judging her that she wanted to showcase her true talent, what goals she wants to reach and how far she’s willing to go to achieve them.

The people there saw the potential and magic in _______’s voice, although they didn’t have an unanimous decision on what kind of creative direction they want to put ________ in, she was able to quickly get into the company and signed a contract not soon after.

She felt happy and relieved that she got in but at the same time she felt anxious.

 

The heads of the management didn’t waste time and immediately briefed ________ about the company, the regulations, her impending debut and other implications.

She was told that she would be soon moving in a new place with other trainees.

 

By the end of her first week, ________ was introduced to some of the most important people that will help her in making it to the top.

“Here are you seniors in the industry that will be guiding you. First up, Nichkhun. He will teach you the do’s and don’ts when it comes to performances and in adjusting to different kinds of shows whether it maybe with a music show or a variety program.”

“I saw your audition clip plus some of your videos on Youtube. You really wowed me.” Nichkhun flattered ________ after she greeted him. She thanked and smiled at Nichkhun. Her first impression of him was good, he gave a positive aura that lightened her up.

“Donghae here will be your music and vocal instructor.”

“I was actually there when you auditioned. I voted for you to get in.” Donghae informed her with a subtle smile on his face.

“Oh…thank you. That means a lot to me.” ________ replied with gratitude.

“Gahee will be your choreographer.”

“Choreographer? As in for dancing?” She couldn’t help but ask to confirm right away.

“Yes, everyone needs to learn a little bit of everything. Just look at IU, she plays instruments yet she dances as well, right? If things go as planned then your image will be similar to her. Oh and Leeteuk is running late so he isn’t here now but he will be in charge of teaching you how to build and manage your image.”

________ just nodded in understanding. She surely still couldn’t voice out all her honest opinions and put this once in a lifetime opportunity on the line.

‘Trust them. They know what they’re doing. They have been doing this longer than you have been singing.’ ________ tried to reassure herself as she said that line over and over again in her mind.

 

________ was invited to have lunch with her ‘mentors’ to let them get more acquainted with each other.

“I heard you’ve been active in the Korean indie scene?” Gahee asked ________ after they ordered food.

“Yes, I play in Hongdae twice a week and I also record covers and my original songs on Youtube.” ________ answered back proudly. It hasn’t been long since her absence but she already misses playing live.

“It’s good that you have a background in performing in front of a crowd already. That’s a big advantage for you.” Gahee replied and told _______ that she also has friends playing around in Hongdae, it turns out that Gahee and ________ had some mutual friends.

“Do you have a boyfriend?” Leeteuk bluntly asked ________.

“Right now? No.” She was caught off guard with that question. She felt a bit puzzled as to why he asked that…unless he was interested in her?

“At least that’s one less problem we have to worry about. In case you didn’t know, the company has a no boyfriend rule here, that starts from now until your third year of debut.” Leeteuk informed her about that crucial policy. He asked the question strictly for business and not for his personal intentions. “Trainees who are caught dating will not have it easy.”

_______ was in a relationship before but that didn’t really distract her. In fact she was able to write a feel-good song during the relationship and even when they broke up. Her experiences have helped her produce creative juice.

“Expectations?” Donghae suddenly asked.

“Uhm…well I guess like what I said in my audition, I want to be able to be hands-on with the kind of music I want to put out, no one seemed to disagree or question me with that so I want to believe that that will be given and produced for me.”

“Continue sticking with that kind of fighting spirit for your music and you will get far.” Donghae advised her like a true senior. He told her the difference between confidence and stubbornness when it comes to this kind of industry. It seemed like he was backing her up.

“That’s true. Donghae hyung was supposed to be put in a boyband, actually we were originally put in the same group but he firmly stood his ground and told our president that he wouldn’t trade his guitar for dancing shoes, even though he’s great in both. He would dance from time to time but he still prioritized composing and making his own music.” Nichkhun revealed facts about Donghae which in turn, made Donghae tease Nichkhun as well.

“Be careful with Khun, he’s a ladies man. One wink and boom…you’re dead.” The rest laughed and started letting _______ in with their teasing and playful secrets which made _______ forget her worries and enjoyed their company.

“Welcome to the family _______!” Gahee raised her glass and gestured everyone to do the same, making _______ feel ‘officially’ accepted by them.

 

________ had to adjust to her new lifestyle.

She was told she couldn’t go out without the permission of her manager. She won’t be able to hang out with her friends or go to Hongdae even during her downtime because they said that her identity is crucial.

She didn’t go through any formal training before so she had no clue how tiring and stressful it would be, it will definitely challenge her not only physically but mentally and emotionally as well. In the past, _______ got her break just by going into musical bars-clubs in Hongdae, asked if she could play for a night and from there on she started her ‘music career’. It seemed too easy or too good to be true but fortunately luck was on her side. Now will luck continue to be on her side? She has realized that this is a big risk, she could lose her ‘fans’ who loved her when she was just starting because she is going to start from scratch.

Did she do the right thing by taking a change of path? Or should she just have stayed where she started?

 

 

‘It's kinda funny how life can change. Can flip 180 in a matter of days’

 


 

Hope you all enjoyed reading the first update ^_^ I’m not too happy with it but hopefully the next update will be more interesting for you all.

You might also notice that Donghae isn't acting the way he was described in the foreword, don't fret, that will all change very soon ;)

A big thank you to eunhaecupcake for offering & making me posters, she did not only 1 but 3!! I’ll be cycling them so you’ll be able to see all :)

Oh and thank you for subscribing so early in the story! 

 

SHAMELESS PLUG: Everyone can I ask for a favor? Can I request for your support?

My friend and I joined the contest Delicious Seoul Story. It would be a big help if you can view the video and like it on Youtube: http://youtu.be/fBlNLfJi-RA

I’d really appreciate it. Thank you in advance :)

 

~Commet Replies~

AngelHae: It definitely is okay if it will help you enjoy the story better! ;) You made think and you're right, E-young can be somewhat similar to the character here :)

mrsfishy: Hope you like the first chapter :)

SNSDSUJU: Hope you enjoyed the first update :)

anj_yesung: Yay for new Hae fic! ;) Hope you like it :)

pinkheadphones: Haha a hot badass? ;) But you might find him a bit annoying because he'll be a jerk in some moments.haha Hope this story doesn't dissapoint you girls :)