Confessions

The competition

Xiumin was cold, grumpy and drunk. His head spun dizzyingly as Chen pushed him up against the wall outside the norebang on the street. He tried to balance himself by leaning against the rough stone wall, the hard chilled material sending slight shivers up his spine.

“What the Xiumin?” Chen practically spat, his eyes flaring with anger. The sight had confused Xiumin, what reason did Chen have for being mad? He hadn’t done anything to the other, had he? Xiumin tried to remember how he might have angered his friend but his pounding head resisted him. 

“Chen, chill, why are you…” Xiumin tried to reason with Chen, a lazy drunken smile gracing his lips as he tried to bring peace. Suddenly Chen’s face was mere inches from his own as the younger trapped his body between the wall and his two arms. He was so close that Xiumin could feel his breath fan out across his face as he yelled his next words.

“How could you do that with Luhan?” Chen’s voice cracked like a whip in the cold night air. Xiumin’s annoyance at being dragged out of the club and into this cold, windy street - the wind messing up his hair - changed into anger as the accusation that was flung at him.

“What the , I can do what I want, it’s not like you’re my boyfriend or anything!” Xiumin yelled back, his drunken rage clouding his vision so that he didn’t notice the shock that flashed across Chen’s face as pain flitted across his wide, hurt eyes.

“Well…” Chen muttered, his voice trailing off as though he were lost for words.

“Well the what, Chen. How dare you try to tell me what I can and cannot do?! What right do you…?” Xiumin started yelling back, getting frustrated and flustered over Chen’s lack of response. His heart was pounding relentlessly and his cheeks felt hot but Xiumin told himself that that was because of the alcohol in his system and because he was angry not because Chen’s body and face were inches away from his own.

“What if I wanted to?” Chen cut in, his voice so quiet that Xiumin had to strain to hear it over the howling wind.

“Huh?” He asked in confusion.

“What if I wanted to be your boyfriend.” Chen said quietly as he pressed himself even closer and looked into Xiumin’s eyes. Xiumin’s heart picked up double time and his jaw went slack. He couldn’t comprehend what was going on, his head was thudding in a dull, aching headache and his mind was clouded with alcohol.

“What….what are you saying?” He asked, trying to focus on was going on. Chen took in a deep breath, as though preparing himself for what he was about to say, Xiumin found his gaze following the lines of Chen’s collar bones as the younger’s chest rose and fell. He shook his head lightly to snap himself out of it but that just made his vision more blurry.

“Okay, I’ll be honest then.” Chen sighed and threaded his fingers almost angrily through his hair before looking back at Xiumin. Xiumin wanted to look anywhere but at Chen yet the younger’s sharp, dark eyes held his in a trance like nothing else. “I like you Hyung. I don’t know if like is really the right word for what I feel, It feels like more than that but hell if I know how much more. I was never in your classes so I only ever saw you in corridors around school, I would see you and think wow. But then we got paired together for the competition, I swear it was the best day of my life. I got to hear you laugh, even be the one to make you laugh, your laugh is so god damn beautiful. But Spending more time with you I also noticed the way you look at Luhan.” Chen sighed as he ruffled his hair once more, breaking eye contact for a moment before locking Xiumin in once more. Xiumin’s heart was thumping and pounding and running and racing, he couldn’t control it, nor could he understand it.

“I noticed that you would always look at him a little more, smile at him a little longer, laugh at more of what he said. I realised how you felt about him because, hell, I was – am ­– the exact same way with you. I decided then not to try anything with you, to just settle for being you friend. But the thing is, it became harder and harder to not say anything, to not do anything. And then Luhan got with Sehun so I thought that maybe you could move on, I don’t know. I don’t need you to tell me you want to be with me too, I don’t even need you to tell me that you like me as more than a friend. I just need to know Xiumin, do I have a chance? Do you think that there will ever be a time when you can look at me first and not Luhan?”

Chen’s eyes gazed deep into his own, completely swamping his mind as he drew a blank. He felt his pulse race and his breathing become shallow as it became harder and harder to focus. Was Chen being serious? Did he really like him? This was too sudden, he needed time, he needed to think and he couldn’t think damn it! His head was a raging mass of twisted and bundled thoughts, the alcohol clouding his ability to think and to process. The way his body was reacting told him that he felt something too, but his mind was too fogged to catch up with his body.

Breaking eye contact with Chen and looking over his shoulder he in a deep, cooling breath. He noticed a hunched, very top heavy body walk out of the very same doors that Chen had dragged him through. As the body stepped into the pool of light from a lamp post Xiumin noticed that it wasn’t in fact one body but two. On further inspection Xiumin realised that the tall, shirtless boy was Sehun and the smaller boy curled in his arms was Luhan.

“Luhan…” He breathed quietly, not thinking about what he was saying.

“Right.” Chen’s voice sounded in front of him, cracking with a slight waver in the middle. Xiumin looked woozily back at him to see that that younger had glassy tears pooled in his beautiful eyes. Xiumin had never noticed how beautiful they really were, all sharp edges and smooth lines, geometrically intricate. Chen stepped back with a sad wobbly smile.

“I understand. I’m…I’m sorry for t-telling you. I’m just g-going to g-go home now. G-go back inside b-before you g-get cold.” Chen flashed Xiumin one last heart wrenching smile before he turned. At the last moment before his back was turned to Xiumin, Xiumin saw Chen’s almost smile drop as his tears flooded his cheeks and he sobbed quietly into his sleeve. Before Xiumin’s lethargic mind could even process what had just happened Chen was jogging away into the darkness. What happened? I don’t understand, why did he leave? Thought Xiumin helplessly. Suddenly he realised as he pressed his palm to his mouth, he had said Luhan. Chen must have thought that that was him saying that he couldn’t get over him and that they could never…. Xiumin drew in a sharp breath as his eyes pricked with tears. No.

Xiumin pushed himself off of the wall and began stumbling down the street in the direction that Chen had headed. The buildings either side of him blurred and merged together as he walked. He caught his toes on the ground time after time, tripping and falling to the ground a couple of times. After five minutes of trying to run after Chen through glassy eyes and a pounding head Xiumin already had bruised knees and bloodied palms from falling onto the cold, relentless pavement. He pushed on through the confusion taking turn after turn, having no idea whether he was going in the right direction or not. He needed to find Chen, he needed to tell him that he didn’t like Luhan and that he had felt, well, something.

In his drunken stupor Xiumin didn’t hear the heavy footfalls approaching him from behind. He didn’t hear the deep, putrid laughter. He only realised that he had company when a heavy hand fell down on his bony shoulder. He flung his head around to see a massively tall and muscled man, taller than Kris, with messy, unclean stubble and a cigarette drooping from his mouth below a pair of cold, unfeeling eyes.

“You alright poppet, you lost?” The man asked, a fake, sickeningly sweet tone to his deep, gravelly voice.

“N-no. I’m fine.” Xiumin stuttered as he tried to walk away from the man. He hadn’t stumbled even a foot away when the man’s fist closed tighter around his shoulder, drawing a whimper from Xiumin as the man’s nails dug into his skin.

“I don’t think you are poppet.” The man drooled, pushing hard on Xiumin’s shoulder and forcing him to stagger backward. His back hit cold, hard brick as he was backed up against the grimy wall of a dark alley. “Pretty thing like you out at night, all alone.”

The man beckoned over his shoulder and another equally as bulky and vile man stepped out of the shadows with a menacing grin slashed into his dirty face. “I think we can help you poppet, would you like that?” The first man said into his ear, his disgusting beard rubbing up against Xiumin’s cold cheeks.

“N-no thank you. I-I should g-go.” Xiumin said, trying to sound firm but his quivering voice betrayed his fear. His foggy mind didn’t want to seem to connect with his body, so as the man brought up his hand to slide it along his waist, even though his mind was screaming to push the man away his body remained still and unmoving.

“Oh poppet, you don’t really get a choice.” He chuckled deep into Xiumin’s ear, his spine wracked with shivers for the second time that night, the first time out of unknown excitement, the second out of unrelenting fear. 

 

A/N: I know it was short and late buuut I hope to update soon with the next part! I hope you enjoyed it although I am sure a lot of you are angry at me ^w^ Don't forget to comment! :3