Cookies~!

The competition

 

“So Kyung,” Baekhyun started as he measured out sugar and butter and began beating it in a bowl. “I know it’s nowhere near as interesting as you and Kai, but there’s something I thought that I should tell you.” There was a slight bang and the sound of shuffling feet. Seconds later a slightly out of breath Kyungsoo flopped over the wooden counter beside Baekhyun, letting the ingredients in his arms spill across the surface. The younger boy rested his head in his palm, trying to make it seem as though his sprawl across the wood was on purpose as he set his wide eyed gaze on Baekhyun. Baekhyun couldn’t help but grin at his friend’s expression.

“Tell me.” Kyungsoo ordered eyes bright with intrigue. Baekhyun giggled before reaching across the island surface to grab the chocolate, stuffing the bars into Kyungsoo’s free hand.

“Chop as I talk Kyungie.” Baekhyun ordered. He loved to boss people around when baking, he couldn’t help it. If he was making something with someone and they asked to stir he could never stop his glare as he passed over the spoon. Over time Kyungsoo had accepted his role as chopper, preparer and timer when baking. But Baekhyun knew it was fair because whenever they cooked something savoury Kyungsoo wouldn’t take any …he was the boss. Kyungsoo grumbled slightly as he took hold of the chocolate. Baekhyun laughed at how he angrily ripped off the wrapper. As soon as he had sliced the warm knife through the smooth chocolate once he said, “Spill it.”

“It’s not much really.” He paused and Kyungsoo gave him a –keep going or I stab you with this knife - look. “Well it was when I was still in the hospital. Channie took me outside when I was first allowed to use the wheelchair and there’s this really cute garden. Oh Kyung it was filled with so many adorable wrinkly couples! Anyway we found a private bench; it was like surrounded by a bush. Well yeah, we were kissing and all that and he went to town on me.” Baekhyun ended with a shrug, trying to feign nonchalance. Kyungsoo was eyeing him with an incredulous look.

“And…?” Kyungsoo pressed, “How was it.” Baekhyun looked at the warm knife that was sliding smoothly through the rich chocolate. Melting the sweet, runny, gooey substance as it ran through it with ease. Loose melted chocolate would run off of Kyungsoo’s fingers as he morphed the chocolate into perfection.

“Look at that chocolate Kyung, it felt a million times better than what if feels like looking at that chocolate.” Kyungsoo glanced down at where Baekhyun was pointing and grinned slyly.

“That good huh?” Baekhyun nodded fervently, running his tongue over his lips at the memory of how Chanyeol’s lips had felt over him. He still had to return the favour, Baekhyun thought. His mind trailed off on different tangents and ideas as he explored his thoughts. He would admit to no one else but Kyungsoo that a lot of the ideas involved chocolate and cookie dough. He shook himself out of his inappropriate thoughts, feeling his cheeks flame, their usual reaction to, well, anything really. He grabbed up the cubed chocolate that Kyungsoo had diligently chopped for him and added it into his cookie dough. He added a flick of cinnamon and a sprinkle of lemon juice. He was lying to himself, it was a lot more than a flick of cinnamon but no one need know. They would benefit in the taste, he told himself. He rolled out the cookie dough onto the floured surface and turned to Kyungsoo, rolling his dough caked fingers as he thought.

“Round, novelty or novelty?” Baekhyun asked with a grin. Kyungsoo patted his chin with his finger, pretending to think about it before replying with what Baekhyun had expected, “Novelty.

“Hmm, should we just shape them with a knife or…” Baekhyun clapped his hands in excitement. “Or do you think Suho still has them?” Kyungsoo jumped in the air before twirling around and running for the cupboard that contained all of the extra utensils. After a few minutes of clashing and bouncing of metal Kyungsoo un-dug his head from the cupboard with a grin. Resting in his hands were two cookie cutters. One was in the shape of a unicorn and the other was in the shape of a ‘rocket’. Baekhyun clapped again and squealed as he took the rocket cutter from Kyungsoo.

“I think we should make a couple unicorns as well as it’s his birthday.” Kyungsoo said as he stood beside Baekhyun who was already happily cutting out rockets.

“Mmm, good idea.” Baekhyun mumbled in reply, focusing on making sure that they retained their shape well as he transferred them to the baking tray. A few minutes later they had filled four whole baking trays with cookies and were stuffing them in the oven to bake into novelty deliciousness. Baekhyun hopped up onto the island in the middle of the kitchen, lifting his foot to rest on the surface. He couldn’t help his face from scrunching in pain, he had been standing for the longest amount of time since his accident and it wasn’t boding too well for his leg.

“Ya! That’s dirt…!” Kyungsoo started before catching a glance at his friends face. “Baek? Is it your leg? Is it okay?” Kyungsoo hurried over to Baekhyun and Baekhyun smiled tightly as his friend slid his fingers into his. He took a deep breath and smiled properly at Kyungsoo.

“It’s fine Kyungie, I’m just not used to standing for a long time yet.” Kyungsoo patted his shoulder and gripped his hand tighter.

“I’m sorry Baek, I know it hurts now but in about a week you’re going to be dancing again and everything. Just wait a little longer, Nae?” Baekhyun nodded, he knew that Kyungsoo was right and that he couldn’t get down about his lack of mobility. It was only short term for him; he couldn’t imagine what it must be like for people who cannot walk for their whole life. He immediately feels bad for feeling sorry for himself and pushes all self-apologetic thoughts from his head. The buzzer chimes shrilly throughout the room and Baekhyun hops down onto one leg as he and Kyungsoo lift the four trays of cookies from the oven. They looked perfect, a wonderful golden brown with oozing chocolate and the most mouth-watering shapes. They quickly piled the cookies high onto three large plates before taking them around the island into the living room area.

Kyungsoo carried two so that Baekhyun could use his crutch. He didn’t want to trip and ruin such a beautiful plate of cookies. Suho and Kai were sat on the longest sofa, a space clearly left for Kyungsoo beside Kai. Sehun was sprawled on the floor, propped up slightly on the arm beside Suho, snuggling cutely into the thick jumper. Chanyeol was sat with his usual erratic smile, pearly teeth and wild and flaming hair on the thick, splushy looking armchair. Kyungsoo handed Suho a plate to share with Sehun and settled in beside Kai with their plate. Baekhyun looked back to Chanyeol to see him patting his lap expectantly. Baekhyun laughed and folded himself into the taller’s arms, curling his good leg up to his chest and letting the other lie comfortably across the arm of the chair. Chanyeol wrapped one of his arms around Baekhyun’s shoulders, pulling him into his warm chest while the other hand gently his injured ankle. The were soft and turned Baekhyun’s spine into Jelly as he unconsciously shivered.

He heard a clap from the other sofa and looked over to see an excited Suho pulling a box out from underneath the sofa. He had to push aside a confused and disgruntled Sehun to be able to retrieve the game.

“What is that Hyung?” Sehun asked, looking confused at the deep red card board box.

“Oh, it’s articulate.” Suho replied with a grin. As Suho explained the rules of the game to the articulate s Baekhyun was silently spazzing in his head. He loved this game and if he was perfectly honest he was brilliant at it. He was great at words, the only problem was Kyungsoo and Suho were both good too. They had been playing this for years and they were all really competitive. What would decide this game was how good the newbies were. Could he train Channie to be good at it? They had to win.  Just as Suho finished explaining a shocked Kai brought something to the attention of Suho, Chanyeol and Sehun.

“Kyungie, Baek, did you really make biscuits?” Suho, Chanyeol and Sehun grabbed the plates and inspected to see if Kai was telling the truth. Kai and Chanyeol were both holding the biscuits up to their faces to look at them properly before simultaneously they said, “Yours is better Baek.”, “Yours is better Kyung.” Baekhyun just patted Chanyeol’s frizzy, fluffy head before taking a bite of the cookie his boyfriend was holding and munching on it happily. He kissed Chanyeol on the nose and cutely nuzzled their noses together before turning to the others with a serious face, “Let’s get this game going!” 

A/N: Sorry that I take a few days to update but I have SO MUCH WORK! And sorry it's short again >.< I...yeah...sorry :(