Present time

The competition

 

As the boys scraped the last of their cake into their mouths Suho started practically humming with excitement. “Presents now!” He paused and looked to Baekhyun and Kyungsoo, “Right?” Baekhyun giggled to himself and nodded in affirmation while Kyungsoo just rolled his eyes at his Hyung.

“Mine first, mine first.” Chanyeol called while clapping his hands and grinning, his deep voice melting Baekhyun’s spine. Baekhyun turned to his boyfriend and bit back his smile when he saw Icing lining Chanyeol’s top lip. How clumsy could this boy be? Baekhyun leaned across his boyfriend’s lap and slid his finger over the younger’s lips to remove the sugary cream. Chanyeol’s eyes widened in surprise, not having known that he had been so messy, but on realising that he had icing on him he held still with a smile while Baekhyun removed it. Baekhyun couldn’t stop himself from noticing how soft Chanyeol’s lips were, like silk against his fingers. He caught Chanyeol’s eyes with his own and held his gaze as he lifted his icing covered finger to his own mouth and slowly let his tongue slide out to it clean. Baekhyun watched in delight as Chanyeol’s mouth drooped open to join his wide eyes and his pupils dilated ever so slightly. Baekhyun finished off by the remnants of icing off of his finger, enjoying both the sweet and fluffy flavour and the priceless expression on Chanyeol’s slack out face.

“Ahem.” Kai cleared his throat loudly and Baekhyun felt his cheeks flame as he turned, his finger still inside his mouth, to see four pairs of judging eyes looking at him. He quickly slipped his finger out of his mouth and looked down while wiping it on his jeans. “If you’ve finished giving Chanyeol some finger then I think Suho wants to open his presents now.” Kai Said teasingly with a raised eyebrow and a smirk.

“Yah, shut up.” Baekhyun mumbled cheeks still hot with embarrassment. Chanyeol shook his head and grinned, not seeming the slightest bit embarrassed about his reaction to Baekhyun’s short display. Baekhyun was jealous of how Chanyeol never got embarrassed whilst he seemed to spend at least half of his time with red cheeks. 

“Chanyeol-ah, which one’s from you?” Suho asked as he looked down at the pile of presents with a childish gleam in his eyes.

“It’s the one with the orange and pink wrapping paper!” Chanyeol said, his voice vibrating with anticipation. Suho looked at the pile for a moment before seeing the present and lifting it from where it had found its way to the centre of the pile.

“Really Chanyeol?” Kyungsoo asked with a raised eyebrow, “That pink with that orange? How could you put those colours together?” Kyungsoo crossed his legs, hand on his hip as he gave Chanyeol his diva face. Chanyeol just pouted cutely whilst mumbling, “I thought it looked nice.” Baekhyun laced his fingers through Chanyeol’s and pecked the taller lightly on the tip of his nose.

“Well I like it.” Suho said, sticking his tongue out at Kyungsoo.

“Watch out where you put that tongue hyung before someone bites it.” Kyungsoo warned with a smirk. Suho quickly slipped his tongue back between his lips with a pout, glaring playfully at Kyungsoo.

“Well you would know, having had so much experience in that department.” Suho shot back with a grin.  Kyungsoo placed his hand over his heart in mock outrage and Baekhyun felt himself dissolve into giggles. His two best friends really were idiots.

“Hyu-ung, open it.” Sehun wined, pulling on Suho’s sleeve. His eyes were bright and hadn’t moved from the parcel since it had found its way in front of Suho.

“Okay Sehun-ah.” Suho said before tearing through the questionable wrapping paper. Baekhyun found himself leaning forward, resting his head in his hand with his elbow propped on his knee. He loved opening presents but watching others open them gave him almost the same amount of enjoyment. As he ripped open the last bits of wrapping paper something woollen fell into Suho’s lap. He shoved the paper off of his lap and squealed as he saw what it was.

“Hyung, show us please.” Sehun pleaded. Suho held up the present for the others to see. It was a cream woollen hat with geometric prints around the top. There was a pom pom bauble at the top and a delicately stitched unicorn in the front. The colours were complimentary to each other in navy blues, pale lavenders and rich reds atop the cream. Baekhyun silently fanboyed inside, Chanyeol’s present matched with his and they hadn’t even consulted each other about what they were buying. Baekhyun hopped up onto one foot and leant over the table towards Suho. He plucked the hat from his hands and pushed it down onto his Hyung’s head, the hat pushed his fringe into his eyes so Baekhyun swept the hair away. He let his hands rest on Suho’s pale cheeks and squished them together so that his lips got involuntarily pushed out. “Suho you’re so cute, you’re like a rabbit.” Baekhyun giggled before looking back over his shoulder. “Yeollie, take a photo of him like this.” Chanyeol slid his phone out of his back pocket and snapped a photo of the chubby cheeked leader with a bright white grin. As Baekhyun sat back down Suho rubbed his cheeks with a pout but Baekhyun could see the smile pulling at his lips.

“Thank you Chanyeol-ah, I love it.” Suho said, bounding around the table to hug the tall boy. Chanyeol seemed to dwarf Suho as he engulfed him in a hug and Baekhyun couldn’t help but laugh, wondering if he looked that small when he was beside Chanyeol. Suho sat back down with a gentle smile as he his hat lightly.

“Mine next Hyung!” Sehun bounced up and down in his chair as he pointed to an envelope on the top of the pile. Suho picked up the envelope which was powder blue with unicorn stickers covering the front. It was slightly rounded in shape, suggesting that there was more than one thing inside. Suho sliced the envelope open and let the first thing slide out onto his palm. “Awww cute.” He said, eyes bright as he inspected the page of 3D unicorn stickers, much like the ones on the envelope.

“That’s just an extra, keep looking Hyung.” Sehun said, sat on the edge of his seat as he waited for the rest of the present to be revealed. Suho slipped his fingers between the paper and pulled out the next item, he let out a slight gasp as he saw what it was. Baekhyun leaned across the table to see what his hyung was looking at. In his hand were two beautifully shot photographs of the six of them on stage, The camera angle was incredible and the quality of the photo paper could be seen by the definition of the image. Each image was a perfect snap shot of a memory. Baekhyun was glad when he found his own face that there was no sign of the pain he had felt at the time; he didn’t want that to ruin Suho’s memory. Suho looked up with glistening eyes, “Sehun-ah, they’re beautiful, how did you get them?” At that question Sehun blushed slightly and looked down, scratching the back of his neck distractedly.

“Umm.” He mumbled, “Well...It’s embarrassing.”

“What is it Sehun?” Asked Kai, tilting his head to the side.

“Well, this girl has been leaving letters in my locker and she left these photos as well.” He looked up with red cheeks, “There were loads of close up photos of me.”

“Are they love letters Sehun?” Kyungsoo asked with a grin. Sehun just blushed more and nodded. “Someone has fans.” Kyungsoo teased poking the maknae’s shoulder.

“Do you know who she is? Is she pretty? You should ask her out.” Kai suggested with a kind smile, not realising how awkward Sehun looked on that topic.

“I…I don’t think…” Sehun mumbled. Baekhyun noticed something then, he didn’t want to make Sehun feel any more uncomfortable so he made a mental note to ask the maknae about it later.

“Suho why don’t you finish opening Sehun’s present, I really want to know what it is.” Baekhyun said, cutting off Sehun’s attempt at a reply. It seemed to work in distracting everyone from Sehun as he had hoped and he looked over to see Sehun mouthing a thank you to him. He smiled back and nodded.  Suho grinned happily and complied, sliding out the last part of Sehun’s present.

“Wow! Sehun-ah oh my gosh!” Suho called out, eyes wide and shocked.

“What, what is it?” Chanyeol flapped, trying to get a look at what it was.

“It’s six tickets to go Ice skating, I love Ice skating.” Suho said with teary eyes. Sehun grinned as he was suddenly pulled into Suho’s version of a bear hug. The reason why Suho had his own version was because he was rarely bigger than the person he was hugging.

“So Hyung, who’re you going to take with you?” Kai asked innocently while nudging Suho with his shoulder. Suho laughed as he let the maknae go. “I’ll take everyone but you Kai.” Suho stuck out his tongue with a giggle before grinning at Kai. “Fine you can come too Kai. Thank you so much Sehun-ah, you too Chanyeol.” Suho smiled brightly at his friends.

After opening Kai and Kyungsoo’s presents it was finally time for Suho to open Baekhyun’s. Kai had gotten him the Pirates of the Caribbean box set and Kyungsoo had gotten him a new pair of skinny jeans and some hugely fluffy slippers to, as Kyungsoo said, stop him from getting cold feet in his old age. Baekhyun slid the three parcels from him over to Suho and leant his head into his hands again as he watched.

“Do I need to open them in any order Baek?” Suho asked, clearly already eyeing the larges one. Baekhyun thought about it but realised that it didn’t really matter either way. “Just open whichever you want first Hyung.” Suho nodded and happily snatched the largest up off the table and tore roughly into the wrapping. He yelped and started flapping about as he held the jumper up to look at it. Baekhyun felt even more satisfied with his decision when as he looked at the jumper again he noticed how brilliantly the colours fit with Chanyeol’s gift.

“Baek it’s…” Suho said, eyes glistening once more, “It’s beautiful.” Baekhyun grinned at Suho, feeling warmth bubbling inside him.

“Open the other two.” Baekhyun urged. Suho nodded and went to work ripping open the next parcel. The present fell into the elder’s lap with a tinkle of metal. Suho grinned up at Baekhyun when he noticed what they were. Baekhyun had decided to get him some unicorn cookie cutters. Ever since were little Baekhyun and Suho had had a think for baking. They used to spend hours baking together, always making sweets, cookies and cakes while Kyungsoo was learning to cook nutritious meals.

“Hyung do you remember that time when we were making rocket shaped cookies and when they came out of the oven, well they didn’t so much look like rockets.” Baekhyun and Suho giggled at the memory. Suho’s mother had been horrified to come home to a plate full of shaped cookies and two little boys nomming on them happily. Baekhyun saw movement from the corner of his eye and looked over to see Kai drawing a rocket with his finger in the air, trying to figure out what they had come out like. His hand suddenly dropped and he raised an eyebrow at Baekhyun, “You made biscuits?” He asked with a grin. Baekhyun leant forward saying, “And they were delicious.” With a cheeky wink.

“I bet they were.” Kai said back, smirking. He and Kai then dissolved into giggles at Chanyeol and Kyungsoo’s shocked faces. He gestured to Suho to open the last one.

As the final present fell from the confines of the wrapping paper Suho looked up at Baekhyun, speechless.

“You didn’t…” Suho breathed.

“Oh my God, is that…?” Kyungsoo said, eyes widening as he took in the object in Suho’s hand. Baekhyun just nodded with a smile.

“I can’t believe you kept it.” Suho said, fighting back his tears of joy as he flipped over the first page of the old, worn out book. The pages were stiff and discoloured and the photos were worn but their childhood memories were still discernible. When they were five years old the three of them had made a pact to stay together forever. The first page had a small blot of each of their blood and their messy scrawled signatures, from then on it was filled with three years worth of diary entries, photographs, medals, newspaper cuttings and random thing that the young boys had picked up and felt meant enough to put in the book. At the age of eight the three boys had buried the book in Baekhyun’s garden. It wasn’t until a few days before that Baekhyun had finally managed to find it again, with help from a pirate’s map they had drawn for themselves.

Baekhyun lifted himself out of his chair and limped around the table to Suho, enveloping him in a hug. A few moments later they were both being hugged by Kyungsoo who nuzzled his way into Baekhyun’s neck. After a few minutes the three boys managed to break apart, apologising to the other three who were sat dumbstruck by the emotional display. Suddenly Chanyeol bounced out of his chair and swept Baekhyun up into his arms, picking up all of their stuff as well. “Suho Hyung, take us home.” Chanyeol said, blinking quickly and puffing his cheeks. Suho laughed and nodded as the boys all collected their stuff. Baekhyun tucked his head up under Chanyeol’s chin for a moment, appreciating the warmth of the gangly teen’s body before pulling back.

“Put me down now Yeollie, I can walk.” Baekhyun said with a smile, not expecting to be refused. Chanyeol however seemed to have a different idea as he grinned, shaking his head, marching out of the room with Baekhyun feebly protesting in his arms. Baekhyun felt his cheeks glow red as he was carried bridal style through the restaurant but for once he realised that he really didn’t care and let himself relax into the short journey to Suho’s house.