exercise = happiness

The competition

 

3 days, 52 hours of sleep, 2 packs of medication and 20 trays of ice cubes later and Baekhyun was feeling like his old self again. It was 3 days after the results of the singing contest had been revealed and Baekyun had spent every moment, except going to the toilet and showering, laying in his bed with a high fever. Now Baekyun's temperature was back to normal and his face was dry and sweat free, the only symptom left was his aching limbs, reminding him of his lack of movement over the past few days. In great need of some physical exercise before he returned to school the next day, Baekhyun called Kyungsoo and asked him to go for a walk. Kyungsoo agreed sounding extremely enthusiastic at the prospect of his friend's revived health. The doorbell rang only 5 minutes later and Baekhyun sped down the stairs, pulling on a pair of Jeans as he did so, his hair dripping water into his eyes. He pulled open the door, sweeping a hand through his wet, disheveled hair. 


"Come on up," he called over his shoulder to his friend, already retreating back up the stairs. "I just need to grab a t-shirt and some shoes." Kyungsoo bounded up the stairs after him and plonked down onto his bed. Baekhyun had his head down, arms buried in his t-shirt draw, water still trickling down his back from his hair. Kyungsoo laughed and threw a towel over his friend, rubbing at his hair while Baekhyun continued the search for his favourite t-shirt. 

"So Chanyeol was asking after you." Kyungsoo told his friend. Baekhyun, head still wrapped in a towel, spun around questioning Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo laughed at the ridiculous image before him and still chucking answered, "He asked how you were, if you had gotten better." Tugging the towel from Baekhyun's damp hair he saw that his eyes were wide and unbelieving and yet a small smile was pulling at the edges of his mouth. Laughing again, Kyungsoo grabbed a t-shirt and flung it into his friend's face. Baekhyun still didn't move so Kyungsoo threatened that he would throw the shoes next which had Baekhyun giggling along with him. Shoving on the t-shirt and pulling on a pair of converses Baekhyun headed down stairs, Kyungsoo following. They were out of the door and Baekhyun was about to lock up when, "On second thoughts..." He whipped back through the door and grabbed the basket ball that was balanced on the corner of the dark mahogany table in the kitchen. He answered Kyungsoo's questioning look with a grin, "I need to use some energy, fancy some one on one?"

"If you're ready for me to whip your like last time." Kyungsoo popped the ball from Baekhyun's hands swiftly and fled the room, speeding off down the street. Baekhyun smiled and locked up, shoving the key in his pocket before racing down the street after his friend. He felt wonderful, the wind, cold and powerful, pushing his fringe from his face as he felt the pull and tug of muscle on bone, a welcome change from the hot, sweaty lump he had been the past few days. Laughing in elation, he pushed himself further, stretching his legs further and feet earning the steady thump, thump, thump of his feet on concrete, matching the pace of his steady heart. He passed Kyungsoo and whopped in elation, continuing to sprint, as his clothes pressed against his body and his hair fled his face. 

They arrived at the basket ball court a few streets away in a matter of minutes, both breathing hard yet grinning from ear to ear. "I forgot how much I love to run." Baekhyun wheezed, " You know?" Kyungsoo smiled and nodded , bouncing the ball over to Baekhyun. Kyungsoo placed himself underneath the basket and motioned for Baekhyun to make his move. Baekhyun tossed the ball from hand to hand before pushing it at the ground, moving quickly toward Kyungsoo he turned his body into the other's to block him from the ball, gaining purchas on the ball as it bounced up from the concrete he aimed and with an almighty leap threw it at the net. There was a satisfying swoosh as the ball fell through the knotted rope and hit the ground with a thwack. Kyungsoo cracked his knuckles, "Oh it's on now." Baekhyun raised an eyebrow, mocking the other.

The two of them continued like this for over an hour, switching between attack and defence, trading light banter and teasing each other. By the time they shook hands on a draw the two were breathing heavily and sweat dripped from their brows. Grabbing a bottle of water each the two sat themselves down on the curb, listening only to their own laboured breathing, pounding hearts and the soft hum of traffic from a few streets across. Baekhyun stretched out his arms and legs, hearing a satisfying pop as he did so, he sighed, "Dude we have to do this more often." 

"Deal." Kyungsoo relied, pounding his fist against Baekhyun's in agreement. After having stretched, Baekhyun laid out across the Wooden slated bench behind them, while Kyungsoo leaned against the bench leg, his head lolling back onto Baekhyun's stomach. The both stared up into the dark starry sky, content in the quiet night, as they simultaneously reached for each others hands, comforting the other over what they knew they were thinking about. Who they were thinking about. The two boys had always understood each other, even from a young age, so there was nothing awkward or unusual about the skinship that they expressed, they were comforting each other and themselves in the act. Knowing that they would always have someone to rely on. A loud rendition of big bang's fantastic baby suddenly blared into the quiet, still night and the two boys groaned and sat up. Kyungsoo dug into his pocket for his phone and answered the call, sighing when he saw that it was his mother. 

Baekhyun looked at Kyungsoo in sympathy as his mother's yelling was clearly audible though the mobile. Ending the conversation as quickly as he could Kyungsoo gazed up at Baekhyunapologetically, "I guess that's my que to leave then" Kyungsoo groaned as he heaven himself off of the pavement, grabbing Baekhyun's hand and pulling him up with him.

"I should get home too." Baekhyu replied, "I still have to get a good nights sleep to be well for tomorrow." Kyungsoo nodded but still looked as though he felt guilty. Baekhyun punched his friend playfully on the arm,"Ya, cut that face out." He laughed, throwing his arm around Kyungsoo's shoulders and dragging the other back along the street.

Kyungsoo glanced up at his friend, a mischievous look in his deep, large eyes. "Race you home" he called over his shoulder, already disappearing into the black night. Baekhyun sped after his friend and soon caught him up, turning to run backwards he called back at Kyungsoo, "You know I've always been faster than you!" and with that he turned back around and ran off into the night, glowing with happiness at how it felt to feel this free. He said goodbye to Kyungsoo at his door and pushed the key through the lock, clambering up the stairs to his bed. He chucked off his t-shirt and tugged off his skinny jeans, shoving them into the laundry basket. Pulling on a pair of pyjama bottoms he decided not to wear a top to bed in case he over heated. He splashed cool water over his face and clambered in between his warm inviting sheets, the softness of his duvet feeling wonderful against his bare shin. Thinking happily of seeing Suho again and finding out about the next stage in the competition in just a few hours, Kyungsoo had told him earlier that it would be revealed tomorrow, he slipped into a deep, dreamless sleep, the most peaceful he had been in days.